Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one 1911. But it's in the EE becuase I'm trying to consolidate calipers. (Poor person here)

I'm actually just wanting to trade it for a 9mm 1911.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Some time ago, I ordered a Glock and the guy at the gunshop sent me a Swiss Luger.  

Anyway, thank goodness that he sent me two 1911s when I ordered them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frankly, I'll probably never buy another 1911 again.

But I won't sell one, either.

Someone will be along shortly to post a picture of endless 1911's to answer my rhetorical question, but seriously... How many do you need?

I have a RIA 1911 that I carry beating around, and I have a Ruger SR1911 for all other times.

All I really need in that category of firearm.

I like 1911's, but I think that people really overcomplicate them both mechanically and philosophically.

I really like my basic Sistema 1927.  Sure, it could use some better sights, but I have glocks for that job.

Philosophically?  Please expand on that.  I'd love understand what you are getting at here.

(No sarcasm intended.)

I think that the 1911 is at it's core, a simple, reliable military firearm that was ahead of it's time in 1911.  Raising it's smithing and construction to a folk art has resulted in an overcomplicated, and overengineered contraption that betray's it's original scope.   People can argue for hours about the precise angle of the throating.  The fact that they have to argue at all over such a trivial detail has essentially proven that it's design had passed it's zenith and we can no longer produce a relatively simple antique design without resorting to one-upping each other on price and detailed nuances.   Philosopihcally, we have entered a zero-sum game where spending thousands of dollars on a high-end 1911 only gives you an object where you can admire the engineering nuances and artisnal knowledge that has betrayed the simple military sidearm of first decade of the last century.  I'm honestly surprised that people remember that some of these guns are built to shoot bullets.  In a word, they have become silly.

Give me a pre-war commercial colt over any high-end custom job any day.

Makes sense.

My RIA is milspec, and works fine.  I got the SR1911 for better sights, and because I wanted the 2011 model of the Ruger (100 year anniversary of adoption) that happened to be the same year my son was born.  I figured it would be a nice heirloom one day for him.

But it really doesn't do anything the RIA doesn't do.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Made me look!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone will be along shortly to post a picture of endless 1911's to answer my rhetorical question, but seriously... How many do you need?

I have a RIA 1911 that I carry beating around, and I have a Ruger SR1911 for all other times.

What's the going rate for one of those? Store nearby has one for $750 new.

When I got mine, they were in high demand.  There happened to be one in my local Gander Mountain, so I knowingly overpaid for it... I paid $750 dollars for it–– $805 by the time I paid taxes and crap.

It's the most I have ever paid for a handgun, and likely the most I will ever pay for one.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, I don't know, I see as many HK's for sale in the EE as I do 1911's.

Who would sell their HK? I thought they were the shit.

I really like my G21SF; an ugly gun built for ugly purposes.

I WILL get another 1911, though.....someday. There's just something about them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nancy boys need 17-20 rds just to get their plastic on paper. People trimble hearing the 1911 safety switched off, just like racking a 870!

They turn into a northern ireland politician?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Twice the weight and half the capacity of a polymer pistol.

1911 was a long time ago.

Weak sauce!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obsolete.....JMB would give up his sweet spot to Gaston in recognition of his brilliance...

Obsolete my ass.

You spoiled youngins grew up on polymer.

A good 1911 is worth it's weight in gold.
...I was issued a 1911, my first year in the Army...the M9, was an improvement..........

And the M9 sucks... Should have adopted the P226.

I wasn't into military guns back in the day, but I remember being surprised SIG didn't get the contract for the new Service Pistol.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like 1911's, but I think that people really overcomplicate them both mechanically and philosophically.

I really like my basic Sistema 1927.  Sure, it could use some better sights, but I have glocks for that job.

Philosophically?  Please expand on that.  I'd love understand what you are getting at here.

(No sarcasm intended.)

I think that the 1911 is at it's core, a simple, reliable military firearm that was ahead of it's time in 1911.  Raising it's smithing and construction to a folk art has resulted in an overcomplicated, and overengineered contraption that betray's it's original scope.   People can argue for hours about the precise angle of the throating.  The fact that they have to argue at all over such a trivial detail has essentially proven that it's design had passed it's zenith and we can no longer produce a relatively simple antique design without resorting to one-upping each other on price and detailed nuances.   Philosopihcally, we have entered a zero-sum game where spending thousands of dollars on a high-end 1911 only gives you an object where you can admire the engineering nuances and artisnal knowledge that has betrayed the simple military sidearm of first decade of the last century.  I'm honestly surprised that people remember that some of these guns are built to shoot bullets.  In a word, they have become silly.

Makes sense.

My RIA is milspec, and works fine.  I got the SR1911 for better sights, and because I wanted the 2011 model of the Ruger (100 year anniversary of adoption) that happened to be the same year my son was born.  I figured it would be a nice heirloom one day for him.

But it really doesn't do anything the RIA doesn't do.

I don't really have anything against high-end 1911's, their smiths, or their owners.  In fact, I really enjoy learning about the nuances of the trade and admire the craftsmanship and thoughtfulness that goes into them.   I just think that at some point they stop being 1911's, and become something different.  But when they enter that strata, they also lose their "rough side" so to say, that allows them to argued in any conventional and contemporary argument such as against the Glock, etc, etc.

Also, while I have my weekly hemmroidal flare-ups with LarryG, I seriously respect his refreshing dedication to promoting the simplicity of the 1911, rather than the possible complexities of it.  IIRC the fanciest 1911 he owns is the SR1911, and he probably outshoots, and shoots more than 3/4 of the people here.

Complexity is not bad.  But, complexity should not drive philosophy for the sake of being complex.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have one 1911. But it's in the EE becuase I'm trying to consolidate calipers. (Poor person here)

I'm actually just wanting to trade it for a 9mm 1911.

I have never seen a 1911 with calipers.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]
The days of high end name brands are almost gone boys as we all know that $400 G19 can do everything that $850 HK USP 9 can do and for as long.  People are cutting in every way, some to survive and some cause their priorities have changed over the last 4 yrs.  I hate it but buying overpriced shit just to show off to your dumbass friends is a thing of the past for most.  Also the whole show piece trade for a untilitarian tool thing makes sense too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
$20 a box for .45 acp

$20 for a box of 20 10mm.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
$20 a box for .45 acp

For 50 rounds?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#15]
People are getting worried that they may actually need to use their handguns.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obsolete.....JMB would give up his sweet spot to Gaston in recognition of his brilliance...

Obsolete my ass.

...I was issued a 1911, my first year in the Army...the M9, was an improvement..........

And that 1911 was probably about 50 years old at the time.

The last 1911A1 I had in the Mil was in 1985, it had zero finish left on it except under the grips and was loose as a goose. Still qualified with it without an issue and without a malfunction. As horrible as it looked, I'd still pay top dollar for the old gal if I had a chance to acquire it. When you figure the last one made was in 1945, the YOUNGEST at that time was 40 years old and the oldest, over 70.

I bought a 1917 a while back and ran a few mags thru it, still ran without an issue. I won't be making that a normal part of it's time spent with me but it was nice to see a 95 year old pistol still run with the new one's. [though I will say we have come a LONG way in the sight area.]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsolete my ass.

We hated them. Catastrophic slide failures were identified before they were fielded but they issued them anyway. Beretta was in an open pissing match with the Army about who had to pay to fix Beretta's screwup. As rare as it was, none of us wanted to eat an M9 slide at the range. I later learned they identified 150,000 slides that could potentially fail.

It was a sad day when we turned in our M1911's. We drew them from the arms room then marched to the airfield to disassemble them and throw the separate parts into large crates under the watchful eye of armed MP's.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsolete my ass.

We hated them. Catastrophic slide failures were identified before they were fielded but they issued them anyway. Beretta was in an open pissing match with the Army about who had to pay to fix Beretta's screwup. As rare as it was, none of us wanted to eat an M9 slide at the range. I later learned they identified 150,000 slides that could potentially fail.

It was a sad day when we turned in our M1911's. We drew them from the arms room then marched to the airfield to disassemble them and throw the separate parts into large crates under the watchful eye of armed MP's.

Just for you..................And F––K Captain Crunch.

[/img]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsolete my ass.

Just for you..................And F––K Captain Crunch.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ue645d.jpg[/url]

Thank you, I miss my rickety old war horse.......

Yeah......F––-K Captain Crunch. And Clinton too, for flicking the switch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsolete my ass.

the problem with that is you can buy 3 G21's for what a decent DW or the like 1911 will cost.

but why would you want a cheap no frils gun thats less accurate, malfunctions more often, and has shitty ergonomics?
let alone three of them?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsolete my ass.

the problem with that is you can buy 3 G21's for what a decent DW or the like 1911 will cost.

but why would you want a cheap no frils gun thats less accurate, malfunctions more often, and has shitty ergonomics?
let alone three of them?

I dunno dude.  Must be a lot of stupid people out there.  Glock can hardly keep their dealer's in stock.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsolete my ass.

Oh, you've done it now.

Was nice knowing you. In before the murder.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsolete my ass.

let alone three of them?

I dunno dude.  Must be a lot of stupid people out there.  Glock can hardly keep their dealer's in stock.

you know obama just got re elected right?
and like was pointed out, its a cheap ass, bottom of the line gun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wasn't into military guns back in the day, but I remember being surprised SIG didn't get the contract for the new Service Pistol.

You wouldn't be if you saw what Sig charges for one of their pistols. They think they shit gold.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#25]
HK45
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Only reason I'm selling one is because I bought a better one that does the same job; don't need 2 of the same damn thing.  

Are you sure you're on the right board?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You know how I know you rode the little bus to school?

m

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsolete my ass.

let alone three of them?

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen a 1911 jam...

On the other hand, I have a G21 that's seen thousands of cheap, shitty range ammo with zero malf's. You need to pay $2-3k to get that kind of reliability out of a 1911 (not ALWAYS the case, but seems to be the norm)

Oh, and those shitty ergos? Wonder where they came from... Oh yeah. 1911's. 110 degree grip angle, and the original 1911s 1911A1's had an arched main spring housing, so the Glock grip VERY closely resembles the 1911's ergos.

ETA: Had my facts backwards. Derp.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsolete my ass.

let alone three of them?

On the other hand, I have a G21 that's seen thousands of cheap, shitty range ammo with zero malf's. You need to pay $2-3k to get that kind of reliability out of a 1911 (not ALWAYS the case, but seems to be the norm)

Oh, and those shitty ergos? Wonder where they came from... Oh yeah. 1911's. 110 degree grip angle, and the original 1911s had an arched main spring housing, so the Glock grip VERY closely resembles the 1911's ergos.

Are you SURE the original 1911 had a arched MSH?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really like my basic Sistema 1927. Sure, it could use some better sights, but I have glocks for that job.

Philosophically? Please expand on that. I'd love understand what you are getting at here.

(No sarcasm intended.)

I think that the 1911 is at it's core, a simple, reliable military firearm that was ahead of it's time in 1911. Raising it's smithing and construction to a folk art has resulted in an overcomplicated, and overengineered contraption that betray's it's original scope. People can argue for hours about the precise angle of the throating. The fact that they have to argue at all over such a trivial detail has essentially proven that it's design had passed it's zenith and we can no longer produce a relatively simple antique design without resorting to one-upping each other on price and detailed nuances. Philosopihcally, we have entered a zero-sum game where spending thousands of dollars on a high-end 1911 only gives you an object where you can admire the engineering nuances and artisnal knowledge that has betrayed the simple military sidearm of first decade of the last century. I'm honestly surprised that people remember that some of these guns are built to shoot bullets. In a word, they have become silly.

I agree completely.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

m

Having carried 1911s, M9s and a G19 in real world situations and not on your local fudd range...I think I have an idea of what I like and dont like to protect my life.........Please, continue to suck at JMB teet.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsolete my ass.

let alone three of them?

you know obama just got re elected right?
and like was pointed out, its a cheap ass, bottom of the line gun.

Oh ok.

Holy shit someone is clueless
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

m

Having carried 1911s, M9s and a G19 in real world situations and not on your local fudd range...I think I have an idea of what I like and dont like to protect my life.........Please, continue to suck at JMB teet.....

Ooo... I guess I'm not profeshanal enough.

BTW, it's 'teat'...

m

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Oh, and those shitty ergos? Wonder where they came from... Oh yeah. 1911's. 110 degree grip angle, and the original 1911s had an arched main spring housing, so the Glock grip VERY closely resembles the 1911's ergos.

huh, last qual I was at had 9 guys, 5 1911's (all Springfield operators that cost alot less then $2k) and 4 glocks.
three glocks had multipul malfunctions, one of them couldnt get off more then one round before a stoppage.
he tried to blam it on "crappy black hills ammo"

funny....all the 1911's ran perfectly....
when i did skills the training facility bought all new glocks every two years (because they are cheap)
seen plenty of those malfunction durring training too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Oh ok.

and i dont think you will get a clue anytime soon either.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Glocks have no soul and are unclean
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh, last qual I was at had 9 guys, 5 1911's (all Springfield operators that cost alot less then $2k) and 4 glocks.
three glocks had multipul malfunctions, one of them couldnt get off more then one round before a stoppage.

when i did skills the training facility bought all new glocks every two years (because they are cheap)

Either the stars aligned for one magical moment of wrecking Glock mojo, or you are absolutely full of it.  Are you sabotaging the Glocks again?

Why would the facility require new glocks every 2 years?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh ok.

and i dont think you will get a clue anytime soon either.

I don't need one bud.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

m

BTW, it's 'teat'...

m

Glad we agree........teat, teet, tit, moob..whatever...

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Glocks have no soul and are unclean

why do guns need a "soul"?

what the fuck are you doing with these things?  they are tools to save your life when hood rats want to steel your wallet and leave you bleeding out on the pavement.

Fuck "soul"

This is bullshit.  This board is full of gun "owners" and collectors, and a handful of actual gun shooters.  Nobody takes their ownership seriously.  They all want to fondle their nostalgic "soul" train like some magic metal penis.  The mental attachment is just weird.  Oil it up, tell the wife it is dirty so you can spend more time with it cleaning it up.  Not actually spend time shooting them and improving their skill.  I bet half you guys shoot your 1911's from a bench rest when you actually do shoot it.  (don't forget your big bag of excuses when the fucking thing chokes!)

c'mon people!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then they don't know how to shoot. There are 3 things that will stop a Glock.

-Limp wristing

-Bad ammo

-Bad Mags

I'm going to GUESS that most of what you saw came from options 1 and 3. Unless these Glocks were the T prefix Gen 3's/4's, which have had extraction/ejection issues because the retards at Glock said "Hey, how we make our extractors isn't broke, so let's fix it by using shitty MIM to cut costs!" ... which they just recently fixed with a new extractor and an updated ejector.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

m

BTW, it's 'teat'...

m

Apparently, reading comprehension is not one of your fortes'...

ETA: Too bad arfcom doesn't  like acute accents.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Limp wristing

-Bad ammo

-Bad Mags

I'm going to GUESS that most of what you saw came from options 1 and 3. Unless these Glocks were the T prefix Gen 3's/4's, which have had extraction/ejection issues because the retards at Glock said "Hey, how we make our extractors isn't broke, so let's fix it by using shitty MIM to cut costs!" ... which they just recently fixed with a new extractor and an updated ejector.

I can't slacken my wrists enough to stop any of my Glocks.

Their mags are the best mags in the business.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

m

BTW, it's 'teat'...

m

Apparently, reading comprehension is not one of your fortés...

m

pursefight! ^^^
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Are you SURE the original 1911 had a arched MSH?

Backwards facts were backwards.

Give me a break, I'm running on 4 hours of sleep.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Getting into 1911 discussions in GD is like wading through a kiddie pool filled with liquid shit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

m

BTW, it's 'teat'...

m

m

Its not that, I just cannot hear you over how AWESOME Glocks are.............and I dont care what you have to say.......

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Limp wristing

-Bad ammo

-Bad Mags

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

m

BTW, it's 'teat'...

m

m

Its not that, I just cannot hear you over how AWESOME Glocks are.............and I dont care what you have to say.......

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're preaching to the choir.

Mag springs go bad over time (loading/unloading cycles), and most people don't understand the need to clean your mags along with your gun. So that all falls under "Bad Mags"

And there are ways to limp wrist. Especially if you don't know how to hold a pistol correctly.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top