BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Long and short of what I found was that Volvos made after about 97 (iirc) are shit and to be avoided like the plague. Jaguar, same way, same reason (again, iirc).

Looked at Land Rover Discoverys. Same story. Over priced hunks of junk that will cost you a fortune.

Have owned both.  Not true.

Having worked on both...I would say  "true"
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as Land Rover's quality. I believe there is a reason for the existence of the bumper sticker that says," The parts falling off of this vehicle are the finest made parts available" or similar.

Easy to be critical if you have never owned one.

QFT. I own a 01 Disco II and 95 Range Rover Classic and love them both.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an 05 S60 turbo with 165k on it.

It looks great and runs like a raped ape.  It was my ex wife's car (daddy gave it to her), and she did her damndest to destroy the thing.

No oil change, extremely long intervals for oil changes, going through the car wash with the windows down, etc.

I change the oil regularly now (synthetic), and besides the annoying bulb burnout rate (really annoying, the cause of me not getting another) and small electrical issues like the passenger front window rolling up then down then up if you don't hold the switch up, it's been fantastic.

Starts and runs (fast!) EVERY day, I have a 70-90 minute commute one way and I do not hesitate to strap the boxy thing on and go every day, I know it'll get me there and back.

I've driven to Florida, to Arkansas, and many many many shorter trips with no more pre-maintenance than an oil change and checking the belts/filters/air in the tires.

I'm going to roll the dice with an 00-06 BMW 6 series here, soon, though.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Guy in my church seems to like his S60.

That said, I've heard nothing but horror stories from my dad about what a pain their heavy trucks are to work on, and that'd he'd NEVER buy a Volvo passenger vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
05 S40 here. 103000 miles with no issues. I drive a lot of highway and get anywhere from 30-33 mpg.  Took a pretty bad deer strike across the front and hood ($5500 in damage) and still drove the hour and a half I had to go to get home. Good in snow too.

Edit: bought it new in 04.

Got any pictures of that?

I had one on my old phone but not any more. It crumpled up the hood, took the right headlight out, and bent the right quarter panel.  A lot of damage was inside the hood just in front of the engine. Smashed the air intake and bent some things up but they did a good job repairing it.  Nothing leaked and didn't even get a check engine light.  I was doing between 45-50 mph.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top