Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Vlad the Impaler is actually a hero in Romania.  The people he impaled?  An invading army.  He put their scout team up on sticks, and they decided he was crazy and that they should rape and pillage somewhere else,  IIRC.

Weren't they also Muslim?...

I don't remember, and I'm to lazy to look it up.  

Yes, they were.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vlad the Impaler is talked about as being the inspiration for Count Dracula.  The idea that he was mad, thirsted for blood has been propogated throughout the centuries.

The vile smear campaing must end NOW!!!

He was the a vampire hunter!  All those folks he impaled?  He was going nuclear on possible vampires.  Cannot find the one you know is there?  Perhaps one of their thralls escaped and may be in the population.

Stake everyone through the heart, it is the only way to be sure!!  

um..... he shoved stakes/ sharpened poles up their asses, and hoisted them 20 feet into the air, to slowly slide down the stake... unless vampires have their hearts in their colons, somethings fishy with that hypothesis.

Oh yes!  The stake will totally follow the digestive tract!

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it's pretty much agreed that every ruler in Europe some 500-1000 years ago was not very nice.

Torture, murder, and sadistic methods of killing people were considered to be entertainment by the masses.  We live in the most peaceful and gentle time in human history.

Yeah, we incinerate them by the hundreds of thousands in milliseconds.

Don't forget ripping babies apart in Momma's womb, or saline bath death.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vlad the Impaler is talked about as being the inspiration for Count Dracula.  The idea that he was mad, thirsted for blood has been propogated throughout the centuries.

He was the a vampire hunter!  All those folks he impaled?  He was going nuclear on possible vampires.  Cannot find the one you know is there?  Perhaps one of their thralls escaped and may be in the population.

um..... he shoved stakes/ sharpened poles up their asses, and hoisted them 20 feet into the air, to slowly slide down the stake... unless vampires have their hearts in their colons, somethings fishy with that hypothesis.

http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/309705/350wm/P5000039-Artwork_of_a_healthy_human_digestive_system-SPL.jpg

An inch and a half spike with 150 pounds of force in the rectum would most definitely make it to the heart.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Dracula translates to "Son of the Dragon".

actually, i believe it is "little dragon".  isn't harmful to your point though.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/309705/350wm/P5000039-Artwork_of_a_healthy_human_digestive_system-SPL.jpg

An inch and a half spike with 150 pounds of force in the rectum would most definitely make it to the heart.

Eventually.
The art of the age showed the spikes to be more than 1.5 inches.  Could be bad drawing; photographic accuracy was not in vogue then.

ETA:  One could tailor the pain and duration by altering the size of the pale. Hadn't thought of that before.
Larger= painful and longer death.
Smaller= faster and less painful.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Vlad showed the world how to deal with a Muslim horde.  To bad the world forgets history.  The Knights Templar did the same, so did Jefferson in Tripoli , and Pershing in the Philippines.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#8]
o
Quoted:

The early 1960s.  The last time we incinerated "hundreds of thousands in milliseconds" was in 1945.  And we as a society determined it was so horrible that we have done our best to never do it again unless absolutely necessary.

So, precisely what is the basis for your statement that it was ".................. long before you or I was even born."?

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw a documentary where they used computer simulations to test the question of a person living through being impaled. You wouldn't want to cause severe bleeding which would kill a person quickly. It apparently is possible if the stake point is somewhat rounded  and smooth so the organs aren't pierced, but they will slide around the point. Aiming the stake towards the sternum will cause it to miss the heart and it will slide up and come out by the neck, so the person could still breathe.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

o

Quoted:

The early 1960s. The last time we incinerated "hundreds of thousands in milliseconds" was in 1945. And we as a society determined it was so horrible that we have done our best to never do it again unless absolutely necessary.

So, precisely what is the basis for your statement that it was ".................. long before you or I was even born."?

My estimation of your approximate age, based on your apparent lack of historical knowledge.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

His father was called Dracul, which referred to Order of the Dragon. Little Vlad was his son, or Dracula.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
o
Quoted:

The early 1960s. The last time we incinerated "hundreds of thousands in milliseconds" was in 1945. And we as a society determined it was so horrible that we have done our best to never do it again unless absolutely necessary.

My estimation of your approximate age, based on your apparent lack of historical knowledge.

You've got to be shitting me!

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

o

Quoted:

Okay, WTH are you talking about?  Is your entire argument with me a disagreement over the meaning of the word "long"?

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
o
Quoted:

You made the assumption about his age before he demonstrated any lack of historical knowledge, and I don't think he showed any lack of history at all.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw a documentary where they used computer simulations to test the question of a person living through being impaled. You wouldn't want to cause severe bleeding which would kill a person quickly. It apparently is possible if the stake point is somewhat rounded  and smooth so the organs aren't pierced, but they will slide around the point. Aiming the stake towards the sternum will cause it to miss the heart and it will slide up and come out by the neck, so the person could still breathe.

UGH!!!

That comes under the heading of TMI.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
o
Quoted:

Okay, WTH are you talking about?  Is your entire argument with me a disagreement over the meaning of the word "long"?

Before.

Hard to argue over what that one means.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

o

Quoted:

You made the assumption about his age before he demonstrated any lack of historical knowledge, and I don't think he showed any lack of history at all.

Yes, that last portion was a bit snarky.  I withdraw that comment.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UGH!!!

This is something we all need to learn
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
o
Quoted:

Before.

So you must be over 67 years old
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
o
Quoted:

The early 1960s.  The last time we incinerated "hundreds of thousands in milliseconds" was in 1945.  And we as a society determined it was so horrible that we have done our best to never do it again unless absolutely necessary.

Long before i was born, if you were born before 1945 then i guess his statement was wrong but to be more to the point is has nothing to do with the topic at hand which is how VLAD was a bad ass and kicked some muslim ass.   now stop being butthurt.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

His father was called Dracul, which referred to Order of the Dragon. Little Vlad was his son, or Dracula.

i understand that.  but i believe the literal translation is "little", not "son of".

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
o
Quoted:

Before.

Brilliant!

You stun me with the quality of your deductive reasoning!

Let's lay this aside, because, as pointed out above, it has nothing to do with the thread topic.

In the future just don't show your ass by making totally unwarranted assumptions based on a total lack of knowledge.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
o
Quoted:

Before.

Brilliant!

Definitely explains the large, bold font
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UGH!!!

This is what I understood about the impaling process as well.

Medieval torture in general is beyond horrifying. I went to this tourist trap medieval torture museum when we were passing through this town in Italy. The stuff those people thought up...dude. It was a quick visit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
o
Quoted:

Before.

Brilliant!

Yep!

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Vlad the Impaler is actually a hero in Romania.  The people he impaled?  An invading army.  He put their scout team up on sticks, and they decided he was crazy and that they should rape and pillage somewhere else,  IIRC.

They were Turkish Muslims.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I thought this thread was going to be in reference to Twilight and and a bunch of losers would be talking about the history of the Vamps the Edward comes from.

Instead it's a thread about real Vamps.
Ed

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Vlad the Impaler is actually a hero in Romania. The people he impaled? An invading army. He put their scout team up on sticks, and they decided he was crazy and that they should rape and pillage somewhere else, IIRC.

The people he impaled?  Muslims.
Vlad will be an Arf hero now.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

i understand that.  but i believe the literal translation is "little", not "son of".  

You are probably correct, my 15th century Romanian is lacking. Actually, it's completely missing.
I'm regurgitating what I remember reading almost 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Goes to show, there are much worse things than just death.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Stopped the Muslims which no one else was doing.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Goes to show, there are much worse things than just death.

Yes, it seems like a particularly shitty way to get one's ticket punched.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's also a theory that Stoker could've gotten some of his ideas from the story of Eleonore von Schwarzenberg

She was crazy as hell.

I just finished reading about her.  The brief article I read said she was eccentric, and dabbled in the occult, which was somewhat common at the time.  I would say Elizabeth Bathory fits the modern definition of crazy, and is associated with vampirism.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#34]
He ran for governor of Minnesota.  No shit.

http://www.fvza.org/prgovernor.html

I know a guy who made a documentary of him.  He doesn't list it on his resume.  

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Do you like this Romanian?  I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpi2IAec9Ho

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that was the origin of the phrase "Rectum?  Damn near killed 'em!"
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it's pretty much agreed that every ruler in Europe some 500-1000 years ago was not very nice.

Torture, murder, and sadistic methods of killing people were considered to be entertainment by the masses. We live in the most peaceful and gentle time in human history.

Yeah, we incinerate them by the hundreds of thousands in milliseconds.

Refresh my memory, when was the last time we did that? A hint: It was long before you or I was even born.

You were born when?

Correction:  We never 'incinerated hundreds of thousands in milliseconds'.  Ever.

Between Hiroshima and Nagasaki it was ~80,000.  The purely conventional firebombing of Tokyo killed ~100,000.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Look, the guy was heavily outnumbered facing a Muslim onslaught and did what he had to do to win. He impaled Turk soldiers. It's not like the guy was a terrorist killing innocent people or anything.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Weren't they also Muslim?...

Religion of Peace, Religion of Poles-it was an honest mistake.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

As I recall, Vlad had the technique perfected so that he could have a in impalee (stakee?)  live for days and most likely die of septicemia rather than of trauma.

Not one of my preferred methods of passing on, that is for certain.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it missed by "that"  much (per Maxwell Smart), who cares?  Try, try and try again.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#42]
All you need to know about Vlad:

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#43]
The cheerleading squad gave me the nickname "the Impaler" in high school.... true story.

Page 3

Edit: Damn.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#44]
just yesterday me and my wife were saying that would be a good book...where he is the hunter and not the vampire..
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
o
Quoted:

Before.

Brilliant!

Yep!

You mean you're over 67 and you still don't have a firm grasp of verb tense? Sad.

You should work on that.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
o
Quoted:

Before.

Brilliant!

Yep!

Dad?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top