Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
They need to ban those deadly entrenching tools! Ive seen then cut through locks!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah it is looking more and more as if Virginia is on the breaking point, just look who we elected as Governor.  Kaine wouldn't have a chance in hell in Alabama or Florida.  I am afraid Virginia will become like all of the other blue states, rural conservatives whom are dominated by big city liberals.  Should laws get oppresive I will be heading south.

Hell, if the state that was home to Jefferson, Washington, Madison and several other of the great founders of our society can't hold water enough to do the right thing, then the whole nation is lost.

I will be going south too.

To New Zealand.

They can buy machine guns down there.

True story:

I know a New Zealander who is working in the US that owns a FULL WWII MACHINE GUN COLLECTION in his home there. I am talking Stmg 44s, the WORKS.

I was talking about my Bushmaster and his EXACT words were:

"Well I don't see why you need one of those assault weapons, mate. Those things are dangerous to have available!"

Some gun owners, even ones with cool toys, are dumber than a box of rocks.

That's just another example of the "As long as I have mine..." mindset.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Virginia already has a 3.5" limit on knives

Do tell?   Never seen anything except the limit on non-tradesmen in schools.

That would be incomplete information. You can have knives as long as you want. Over 3.5" they have to be visibly recognizable as a knife (IOW open carry). There are other restrictions on where you can carry knives like Federal Buildings and schools.

Bomber

I'm not being a smartass, but can you show me where you found that? All I can find is this about concealed carry:

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

I don't see anything specifying blade lengths. Also you can see that concealing a machete is already illegal.

Wayne,

i stand corrected, the only reference i could find to blade length has to do with restrictions on what can be carried in schools. You are only allowed to carry folders with a blade length less than 3".

link

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:26:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:57:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be incomplete information. You can have knives as long as you want. Over 3.5" they have to be visibly recognizable as a knife (IOW open carry). There are other restrictions on where you can carry knives like Federal Buildings and schools.

Bomber

I'm not being a smartass, but can you show me where you found that? All I can find is this about concealed carry:

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

I don't see anything specifying blade lengths. Also you can see that concealing a machete is already illegal.

Wayne,

i stand corrected, the only reference i could find to blade length has to do with restrictions on what can be carried in schools. You are only allowed to carry folders with a blade length less than 3".

link

Bomber

Bomber,

I wasn’t trying to correct you, I was genuinely hoping that you found a specified blade length. I think it sucks that they outlaw something and then don’t define what they have outlawed.  From what I’ve found, a dirk is a long dagger and a bowie knife is a large knife usually with a blade length greater than 6”. So it would seem reasonable to assume that a 4” fixed blade knife (dagger?) would be legal to carry concealed in VA. But I would bet money that if a cop found one on me or you that we would get arrested. Then we would be arguing definitions in court.

Wayne,
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#6]

I wasn’t trying to correct you

I didn't take it that way. We should strive for facts. I thought I read the blade length restriction for concealed carry but evidently I didn't.

The VA knife laws are nebulous. We have a similar thread in the VA Forum regarding switchblades.

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bomber

Wayne,

link

Bomber

That is why I specifically remembered the limit for schools and nothing else pertaining to me.   At the time I was taking a class in a High School at night and carried a Spyderco dyad.   I wanted to make sure I was legit and found out I was not.    
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#8]
A .45 ACP in the hands of law abiding citizens would go a long way to deter machete violence.
That, and an open season on gang bangers.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Chill! He was have a joke with you mate...

ANdy

No, he was dead serious.

"Well mine are for collecting, not for shooting people."

Well, my friend, what exactly do you think your six Thompsons were doing before you started collecting them? Did you convert them to simunitions only??

He eventually saw the point I was driving at.

It is pretty hypocritical to own a couple of dozen WWII belt feds and then complain about the availability of semi-auto AR-15s.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Cash and carry Ozark Trail machete at Wal-mart

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Think the VA legislation is BS? Hell, MA can beat that...

(Note: this is only a proposed bill and not current legislation).

"AN ACT RELATIVE TO THE POSSESSION OF A MACHETE

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1.

Subsection (b) of section 10 of chapter 269 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2002 Official Edition is hereby amended by inserting after the word “inches”, in line 67, the following word:- , machete.

SECTION 2.  Said subsection (b) of said section 10 of said chapter 269, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by adding the following paragraph:-

For purposes of this section, “machete” means “a heavy knife at least 18 inches in length and having a blade at least 1.5 inches wide at its broadest measurement. This subsection shall not apply to carrying a machete on one’s person or in a vehicle if the machete is carried for the purpose of cutting vegetation or if the machete is being transported for the purpose of cutting vegetation.  In a prosecution of a violation of this subsection, there shall be a permissible inference that such carrying of a machete is not for the purposes of cutting vegetation.  Such presumption may be rebutted.

Any individual who requires a machete for the purposes of cutting vegetation shall register the machete with the local police department on an annual basis and, upon payment of an appropriate annual registration fee as determined by the local granting authority, shall be issued a permit authorizing him to possess the machete solely for the purposes of cutting vegetation".

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Im starting a hoe gang...

images.lowes.com/product/049206/049206184053.jpg?wid=158&cvt=jpeg

+1 for the hoe gang!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#14]
No, officer, it ISN'T a machete. It's a PANGA! That isn't covered by the anti-machete law.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They need to ban those deadly entrenching tools! Ive seen then cut through locks!!

NO! They need to be legal. Bad Guys turn and run when they hear one being unfolded.

ETA:
Anyone pick up on the fact that it's a slow Friday afternoon at the office?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1.

Subsection (b) of section 10 of chapter 269 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2002 Official Edition is hereby amended by inserting after the word “inches”, in line 67, the following word:- , machete.

SECTION 2.  Said subsection (b) of said section 10 of said chapter 269, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by adding the following paragraph:-

For purposes of this section, “machete” means “a heavy knife at least 18 inches in length and having a blade at least 1.5 inches wide at its broadest measurement. This subsection shall not apply to carrying a machete on one’s person or in a vehicle if the machete is carried for the purpose of cutting vegetation or if the machete is being transported for the purpose of cutting vegetation.  In a prosecution of a violation of this subsection, there shall be a permissible inference that such carrying of a machete is not for the purposes of cutting vegetation.  Such presumption may be rebutted.

Any individual who requires a machete for the purposes of cutting vegetation shall register the machete with the local police department on an annual basis and, upon payment of an appropriate annual registration fee as determined by the local granting authority, shall be issued a permit authorizing him to possess the machete solely for the purposes of cutting vegetation".

This almost seems like a bad joke.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

SECTION 1.

yeah, MA folks need to get their "representatives" under control ASAP.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I feel safer already,

why cant we just outlaw assault/murder?

Oh wait, our politicians are board and need votes, so they make up BS legislation.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Wonder how much machetes on the black market will be selling for?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I remember just a few months ago how we were all laughing at the British because they wanted to ban kitchen knives.....

Yep!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/DSC00060.jpg
Mine....

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/DSC00057.jpg
Hers...
'
Deadly British 'Assault Diving Knife 'and 'Assault Axe', No licence required

ANdy

I own a gun.
You lose.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

SECTION 1.

Idiots

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Why don't they just make it a felony to be a member of a criminal street gang and deport these assholes when they catch them?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Why don't they just make it a felony to be a member of a criminal street gang and deport these assholes when they catch them?

That would be racist and unfair.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#25]
While they are at it they should pass a law against flying airliners into buildings.  That'll stop 'em.

No, we have to allow the scum into our country out of some misplaced PC bullshit idealism and then we pass laws that we know full well only affect law abiding citizens.   Our enemies must be laughing their asses off.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#26]
So does this mean we can't have bayonet lugs and flash hiders on our machetes...?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I remember just a few months ago how we were all laughing at the British because they wanted to ban kitchen knives.....

Yep!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/DSC00060.jpg
Mine....

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/DSC00057.jpg
Hers...
'
Deadly British 'Assault Diving Knife 'and 'Assault Axe', No licence required

ANdy

I own a gun.
You lose.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/DSC00101.jpg
Nope, I'll raise you a Marlin………

I'll raise you a Carbine.
Don't make me post a pic of one of my handguns - wouldn't want to see you cry.
(On a serious note: does the handgun ban extend to Ireland?)
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

REGISTERED AND LICENCED MACHETES!!!!!

Even here in Britain I don't have to register my evil 'Assault Machete'……

There's a reason we call it "new england."
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

In Northern Ireland there is no ban on handguns, you can even have a CCW permit for a handgun. You can also own handguns and assualt rifles in the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands which are also part of Great Britain. Explain that one!

ANdy

WooHoo...!

Own fun toys and race TT----------------------------Can't beat that...!

The Island is a unique self-governing kingdom - a Crown dependency which belongs to neither the UK nor the European Union. It has its own parliament (called Tynwald), laws, traditions, culture, cuisine and postage stamps. But as a holiday island it is best known for its very agreeable and relaxed pace of life, along with a wealth of attractions and places to stay. And while other differences include the Manx language and currency (though English is the spoken tongue and English and UK currencies are accepted everywhere), there are also reassuring familiarities - such as driving on the left and road signs in English.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, that does it. I'm going to stock up on pre-ban machetes NOW.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top