Quoted:

John Wayne was an over paid, cross dressing bag of shite
View Quote

Go support Wet Spam ya tosser
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Modern-day Special Forces soldiers are forged in the fires which are EO and SHARP classes.
View Quote

That is fucking..........

Fucking terrible...

Truth is agony
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Weren't the Vietnam guys experienced shit hot infantry types as opposed to current day if you can pass the test you're in?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
High school level wannabe thread.

Green Berets don't really do the things. They mostly teach the things to indigenous "freedom fighters."

You are probably confusing them with Delta.
View Quote

My Purple Heart, BS(V), and CIB would indicate that you don't know what much about SR/DA, CIF, or UW.

If you would like the opportunity to correct your educational lack, PM me and we can discuss the most direct route to SFAS.

18Z50.....Nous DeFions.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

He was paid what he was worth by his fans who liked him enough to go see his films.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Until you have talked to (at length) one who was there in VN,,,STFU.  My father served with a group of em for a year in the jungle, shit he has told me made my spine tingle.  To be fair I did not myself have the honor to serve in Iraq/AFG as I was already out..(Cold Warrior) So I also should STFU as I don't know what those guys went through either....but to say one would easily outdo the other is asinine.
View Quote

that's just fucking stupid.

why not stfu unless you have talked (at length) with one who was there in Iraq or Afghanistan ?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I can tell you as a kid my grandpa (far right) commanded my total respect

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

While both were badasses modern ones would kick the shit out of the old guys.
View Quote

Basic fieldcraft goes to the old guys, I think.

Most everything else goes to the present day.

Look a pics of "fit" people back then versus now.  Put the old guys on the same exercise and nutrition regimen?  They'll do just as good.

Pluck them from time and space and line them up as is?  New GWOT guys.  Without question.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get both!

See: Billy Waugh
View Quote

Technically he was with SAD during his time in GWOT. But yes, I see what you mean. Dude is 125% bad ass, from the Korean War all the way OIF and who knows what else.

To sit down with him over a beer in his backyard and here stores. Man he could probably go on for days.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What if it is OJT?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Green Berets don't really do the things. They mostly teach the things to indigenous "freedom fighters."

What if it is OJT?

Or CIF ?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#12]
My Dad was a medevac medic in Vietnam, came back went to Ranger school did that for a couple years then went into SF. this was in the 80's-90's. And, yes he was definitely the "My dad can kick your dad's ass" guy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Read the MACV/SOG book written by John Plaster. Some of the most hardcore soldiers ever to walk the earth. They walked into certain death, did incredible things and kicked some serious ass. They pretty much pioneered SF as we know it. Straight bad MFers.

Modern SF are some of the best fighters in the world, and I have the utmost respect for these warriors.

I wouldn't say one group is better than the other. All are heroes.
View Quote

That would be these guys...

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Modern-day Special Forces soldiers are forged in the fires which are EO and SHARP classes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#16]
They died in Vietnam for maybe 5 years without any regular US troops supporting them. That is hardcore.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if it is OJT?

Or CIF ?

CIF, CRE, potato, spuds.  

SR/DA were top of the list for so long, JADE HELM was created to balance out the UW shortfalls.  My friends at USASOC still cringe when I remind them of that PR nightmare!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Billy Waugh fought in both. I read his book. He said he liked combat in Vietnam more. He said something along the lines of it was "more personal" or something. He said he didn't like finding the enemy and calling in air support or something like that.

I read it a few years ago...
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#20]
One still in VN

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316937/John-Hartley-Robertson-US-Army-veteran-living-Vietnam-village-44-YEARS-shot-down.html
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Billy Waugh fought in both. I read his book. He said he liked combat in Vietnam more. He said something along the lines of it was "more personal" or something. He said he didn't like finding the enemy and calling in air support or something like that.

I read it a few years ago...
View Quote

Yeah, I read his book too. He didn't like outsourcing the job to the Air Force and Navy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One still in VN

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316937/John-Hartley-Robertson-US-Army-veteran-living-Vietnam-village-44-YEARS-shot-down.html
View Quote

Umm no, completely debunked.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#23]
what a stupid fucking question.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Based upon the book I read awhile back they fight with the freedom fighters. Actually I read a book back in high school about Vietnam Green Berets and it was the same thing with that. Both are said to be non fiction but I don't kick doors or carry guns for a living so I don't know from experience.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fpni.

Mr. Benavides probably had the biggest set of balls, though.
View Quote

THIS!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are literally fucking joking right?  Speaking of high school level posting....

Maybe in Thailand, Colombia, and Kenya that is true....but there are these other places where America has been involved in some fighting for the past few years.  Maybe you have heard of one or two of them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#27]
This thread is silly
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As far as I know, none of the current crop have released hit records.  Advantage:  Vietnam vintage.
View Quote

Today they release Hit Grunge records, then join Ranger Regiment, then SF, then use the GI Bill to get Masters Degrees from Ivy League schools.....

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#29]
SOG.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The SOG guys were absolutely fucking nuts.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technology aside... pound for pound a SOG team at peak performance was the equal of any operator/s on the planet, then or now...... just MHO
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#32]
One thing unique about Vietnam is the in-theater training rotations that the Army established for SF and also for LRRPs.  The turnover rate was very high, establishing the Jungle Schools in theater was very successful.  I'm sure the key was in selecting the proper instructors.  And going on a for-real, no shit clandestine mission to Laos as your final exam, could you imagine?  

We had friends of our family, to be more precise my mom's best friend's husband, was a VN SF veteran.  A cocky, 4'10" Italian from Chicago.  I think he went over post AB and Ranger school with the 101st AB as the LRRP teams were being reorganized and then went to SF school in theater.  I do remember that in their wedding pic (they got married while he was on leave somewhere around 69 or 70 maybe) he is wearing dress whites with Airborne, Ranger, and SF scrolls.  He liked to tell the story about how he got medivaced out after getting his calf blown off in an ambush.  One of the things I always remember him saying was "I walked point, loved the M14 but it was a big heavy bitch in the jungle".  He said he carried a grease gun for awhile, then "when the new M16s came out I ditched the piece of shit and carried a sawed off shotgun with beehive rounds".  Dude was not afraid of a fucking thing and loved to fight.  

When I was a snot nosed teenager in the 80s, we were drinking one time (if you were a teenager you could drink and smoke with Uncle Larry as long as you could "handle your shit") and wandering through the ghetto on foot on our way to the liquor store to get another bottle of Brandy.  I asked him something to the effect of "why do you like to fight when you are only like three feet tall?" to which he replied "If you don't care, it doesn't fuckin' matta!  Most people are scared to get hit and get hurt, I'm not.  I tell those assholes to take their best shot, I've already had my ass kicked by bigger, uglier, meaner assholes than you", then flicked his cigarette into my chest and put me on my 6 foot ass.

Apparently in the 90s the gang bangers started to get froggy and broke into his van a couple of times.  Also threatened some friends next door.  His response was something along the lines of "Gran Torino".  They quit coming around.

This guy is in his late 70s now, still walks with a swagger, dances like he gives no fucks, greases his hair in a pompadour, and still ain't afraid of shit.  He's alot like a present day Navy SEAL.

On the other hand, a friend of mine recently retired from 22 years in, he did 82ndAB, then Ranger School and SF.  Was a 18C with 5th SFG, did a lot of different stuff and capped off his career with multiple combat tours in the ME and AFG.  Same mentality, a lot more humble.  Whereas my "Uncle" Larry sticks out, my friend blends in.  Also has multiple degrees, he's more of the "thinking" warrior type.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One thing unique about Vietnam is the in-theater training rotations that the Army established for SF and also for LRRPs.  The turnover rate was very high, establishing the Jungle Schools in theater was very successful.  I'm sure the key was in selecting the proper instructors.  And going on a for-real, no shit clandestine mission to Laos as your final exam, could you imagine?  

We had friends of our family, to be more precise my mom's best friend's husband, was a VN SF veteran.  A cocky, 4'10" Italian from Chicago.  I think he went over post AB and Ranger school with the 101st AB as the LRRP teams were being reorganized and then went to SF school in theater.  I do remember that in their wedding pic (they got married while he was on leave somewhere around 69 or 70 maybe) he is wearing dress whites with Airborne, Ranger, and SF scrolls.  He liked to tell the story about how he got medivaced out after getting his calf blown off in an ambush.  One of the things I always remember him saying was "I walked point, loved the M14 but it was a big heavy bitch in the jungle".  He said he carried a grease gun for awhile, then "when the new M16s came out I ditched the piece of shit and carried a sawed off shotgun with beehive rounds".  Dude was not afraid of a fucking thing and loved to fight.  

When I was a snot nosed teenager in the 80s, we were drinking one time (if you were a teenager you could drink and smoke with Uncle Larry as long as you could "handle your shit") and wandering through the ghetto on foot on our way to the liquor store to get another bottle of Brandy.  I asked him something to the effect of "why do you like to fight when you are only like three feet tall?" to which he replied "If you don't care, it doesn't fuckin' matta!  Most people are scared to get hit and get hurt, I'm not.  I tell those assholes to take their best shot, I've already had my ass kicked by bigger, uglier, meaner assholes than you", then flicked his cigarette into my chest and put me on my 6 foot ass.

Apparently in the 90s the gang bangers started to get froggy and broke into his van a couple of times.  Also threatened some friends next door.  His response was something along the lines of "Gran Torino".  They quit coming around.

This guy is in his late 70s now, still walks with a swagger, dances like he gives no fucks, greases his hair in a pompadour, and still ain't afraid of shit.  He's alot like a present day Navy SEAL.

On the other hand, a friend of mine recently retired from 22 years in, he did 82ndAB, then Ranger School and SF.  Was a 18C with 5th SFG, did a lot of different stuff and capped off his career with multiple combat tours in the ME and AFG.  Same mentality, a lot more humble.  Whereas my "Uncle" Larry sticks out, my friend blends in.  Also has multiple degrees, he's more of the "thinking" warrior type.

View Quote

Sorry,

4' 10"  I don't believe it.  I think Valor may have been stolen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

But don't forget this old adage:  

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sorry,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry,

He might have been 5'2" or something, he wasn't a fucking midget but he was very short to my 6 foot tall self.  As far as stolen valor, I've been a military fan my whole life and there is no stolen valor.  I also saw his decorations including his purple heart, all boxed up sitting in a dusty closet in a spare bedroom.  What is interesting is that when he came home he tried the Illinois NG for a tour (Artillery was the local unit) and he hated it.  Said they were a bunch of slacker dipshits that couldn't find their ass with both hands.  So he got out entirely after his NG stint, hung his shit in the closet, and that was it.  Keeping in mind that I was an invited guest on base at my friend's retirement ceremony, I've seen a few uniforms and know what an infantry/Ranger/SF uniform is supposed to look like.  This isn't a stolen valor deal.  He doesn't go around bragging to random people.  He has no army shit displayed anywhere, no SF shit stuck on everything.  If you aren't family, you have no idea what he did in the 60s and he likes it that way.  He has ONE friend from the military named Rey that he used to go to the American Legion hall with to play cards.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's funny coming from a Brit.

I spent years in the middle east, where a common complaint among British women was the fact that British males (not men) were sacks of shit, bad in bed, and total pussies.

We made sure we banged the Brit women (mostly your nurses and docs) quite properly.

Brit soldiers were always bitching about it too, which made it even more fun.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#37]
So which team's trained locals win?  Team Hmong/Montagnard or Team Sunni Awakening/Hazaras?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As far as I know, none of the current crop have released hit records.  Advantage:  Vietnam vintage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

<mic drop>

Quoted:
Fighting in desert is very different from fighting in canopy jungle.
This is not a worthy adversary.

I fucking love this thread.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Read the MACV/SOG book written by John Plaster. Some of the most hardcore soldiers ever to walk the earth. They walked into certain death, did incredible things and kicked some serious ass. They pretty much pioneered SF as we know it. Straight bad MFers.

Modern SF are some of the best fighters in the world, and I have the utmost respect for these warriors.

I wouldn't say one group is better than the other. All are heroes.
View Quote

SOG did not pioneer SF.  SOG was a separate entity composed of people from various places, many of whom were Chinese mercenaries paid by SOG, and led by their Team Leaders, in addition to the aviation, logistics, and intelligence cells.

SF was pioneered from the OSS format of Jedburgh Teams in WWII.  Aaron Banks started 10th Group in 1952.  There was quite a bit of SF history well before SOG.

SOG was a specific unit organized for the SEA theater.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are rules in the current conflict.  Apparently there were no rules in 'Nam.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That guy on the left is a dead ringer for FREEFALLE7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can tell you as a kid my grandpa (far right) commanded my total respect

http://i57.tinypic.com/2zgrj7o.jpg

That guy on the left is a dead ringer for FREEFALLE7.

And the grandpa looks familiar as well.  Rambo maybe?  Or A-team?  Bad ass grandpa.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Technology aside... pound for pound a SOG team at peak performance was the equal of any operator/s on the planet, then or now...... just MHO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Squad of guys from Ranger Regiment would crush them today.  SOG was known for getting its mercenaries killed on a regular basis, most of whom were initially trained by SF, then snatched up with higher pay from SOG.

A Squad of hooahs from Regiment out of the 80's would crush them, although it wouldn't be as easy as rolling up bugger-eaters.

SOG had some excellent indigs and mercenaries they trained, and some pretty innovative tactics, but they would get wrecked by the studs if we're talking movement to contact or chance contact.

There are only a few units with standards as high as Ranger Regiment, one of them is in the US (comprised of at least 66% former Ranger Regiment), and the others are in the UK.

It's one thing to read the books, watch all the movies, and another to see the rubber meet the road.  The modern Ranger Regiment is something even more refined than at any time in its history.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

SF Scroll?
SF School in Theater?  The JFKSWC has always been where it is, and Teams from the States trained up pre-deployment with an integral ODA.  5th Group ran a certain course for LRRP units out of Nha Trang, but the Special Forces Training Courses for the different MOSs was at Bragg and some of the Medic Course at Sam Houston back then.
Jungle Schools?
Tube mag fed shotgun over detachable box mag M16 (the primary shoulder fired weapon on every ODA in SEA)?

I'm going to have to throw the BS flag.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the old guys wouldn't even feel it, then or now.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#46]
snakes, bugs and tigers!!!!

love these comparison threads.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yep.  Just wait until an ODA is being lead by a Female and she is having to deal with her local counter-part who just so happens to be a moslem man.  Thats when their training will really kick in.  
View Quote

I don't think you knuckle-draggers get the strategic value that female Captain will bring to the table when she's advising a Yememi Political Security Officer on human rights and shit.

You need more Marie Harf in your life.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

The man in the black pajamas, dude. That's a worthy adversary. Not a dozen fig eaters trying to find Reverse on a Soviet tank.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thought that was a favorite past time of the Brit's?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top