Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So, a guy comes in to rob the place... your friend pulls a gun, and the bad guy turn around and runs out, and your buddy shoots him in the back 3 times?  Is that what happened?

I'm not saying I disagree, but I don't know that I would have shot him in the back as he ran away.
That could be a long prison sentence in many states.

Or am I missing something in this video.
And, as was asked previously, where did this happen?

a very similar thing happened to me years ago. i was carrying a 38 under a sweater at a place of work. guy comes in robs me, tells me im gonna die if i dont move fast enough. he got  what he was after turned around and i shot at him 4 times, 3 hit him, all in the back as he started to run.

i will tell you this. i was scarred shitless the whole time. guy showed me the butt of his pistol down his pants, i got phsically ill.

to finish this tale.. the 'gun' was a starter gun. meant to fool me. it did. and him too. he didna make it through the night. he had just be paroled from prison in tennesee ... for armed robbery...

i got my pistol back. cops were pretty happy about the incident. armed robberies, which had been happening a lot in the area went way down.

i made a career change..

i see no issue with shooting the guy in the back. as long as you are scared for your life. as i was. and its a feeling i never want to have again.  and a reason i got out of the biz i was in at the time..

if there had been others close by i would not have shot. if the perp had pulled out the 'toy' and showed me how it fooled me i would not have shot. you gotta experience the situation before you can judge is my opinion..
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Vid won't work.

try right click and save this: upload3.putfile.com/videos/6314135890.wmv
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
That my friends, is Gun Control at its finest.   He must have taken lessons from Dick Cheyney
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Vid won't work.

Try it later, its just being hit like crazy from Arfcom traffic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is putfile such a PITA?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why it worked out for the good guy:

1 - Speed of the woman with her baby moving away.

2 - Surprise of the fat clerk to get the fuck aside

3 - "Violence Of Action" and a lot of luck not hitting the woman, coworker or child.

Good shooting, but dangerous considering bystanders and proximity of them.  If he weren't a good shooter, it would have been a much worse situation.

Good shootin Tex!

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why is putfile such a PITA?

High traffic on that file right now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why it worked out for the good guy:

1 - Speed

2 - Surprise

3 - "Violence Of Action"

Sounds like three good pieces of advice right there
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Vid won't work.

Me too. Tried all available links.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
perfect use of the co-worker for cover.

Damn skippy. Chick should've cleared leather.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#12]
good stuff.  who knows if they guy was just gonna relocate before opening up.  you don't quit on your first strike.  glad he was shot down.  glad he will spend a long time in prison with some holes in his chest.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vid won't work.

it's a long clip..I'm sure it will be shortened soon

the action is only about 5-10 seconds the rest is slowmo's....but worthy of watching
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Why must putfile suck so much ass?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks like the clerk is shooting close to the by stander and baby, but hard to tell. glad he got the BG.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 A .45 might have finished the job.  

The bad guy was incapacitated and on the ground.  How "finished" do you want?  I doubt if a 45 would have killed him, given duplicate shot placement, if the 40 didn't.

Key word there is "might".  I was simply speculating that a .45 MAY have provided a little more ventilation and kept us from supporting the POS while in prison.  Simply pondering a "what if" seems to be reasonable here (not to you, I guess).  Be sure to have a nice day though, mmmkay?  

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vid won't work.

it's a long clip..I'm sure it will be shortened soon

the action is only about 5-10 seconds the rest is slowmo's....but worthy of watching

I saved it on my hard drive, almost 25 Mb, give me a few minutes and I will try to chop it down and repost a shorter version.

ETA: my video editing software doesn't like the file for some reason, oh well nevermind
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#18]
The mother looks like she's PISSED as he's shooting.

BTW, I personally have no problem with the shooting, but seems to me the law frowns on shooting people in the back...even dirtbag criminals.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#19]
That shoot was quick.

Your buddy reacted fast
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#20]
All the posters talking about how "he couldve hit the bystander, bla, bla, bla" sicken me.  Learn how to shoot your goddamned gun.  There's a reason I put at least 500 rounds down range thru my carry piece every month.  Even at 500, I still feel like I'm slacking.  There's a reason all my rounds go into a 2 inch square as fast as I can pull the trigger.  Practice, practice, practice, and practice some more.

If you're not prepared to shoot some motherfucker in the face or in the back when lives are threatened and a baby is present, leave your gun at home.

Tell your bud good job and I'll buy the first round.

Fuck criminals.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

1 - Speed of the woman with her baby moving away.

2 - Surprise of the fat clerk to get the fuck aside

3 - "Violence Of Action" and a lot of luck not hitting the woman, coworker or child

That's a good summary. Turn your volume off and hold your thumb on the baby's head where it is when the good guy initially draws his gun. A split-second later, on his second shot where you can see muzzle-blast, he's shooting in that spot, following the perp from right to left with bullets.  I won't make absolute judgments either way. But it was extremely close.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like a good shooting to me. He may have saved peoples lives. People on his next hiest.

Armed robber punk, getting shot in the back, I got no problem with that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
All the posters talking about how "he couldve hit the bystander, bla, bla, bla" sicken me.  Learn how to shoot your goddamned gun.  There's a reason I put at least 500 rounds down range thru my carry piece every month.  Even at 500, I still feel like I'm slacking.  There's a reason all my rounds go into a 2 inch square as fast as I can pull the trigger.  Practice, practice, practice, and practice some more.

If you're not prepared to shoot some motherfucker in the face or in the back when lives are threatened and a baby is present, leave your gun at home.

Fuck criminals.

My name is Enemy and I approve of this post.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Fuck criminals.

Good post.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Fuck criminals.

Nice. Probably the same types who are always worried about getting sued more than defending themselves, their families or their homes as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Your buddy was in control of his weapon the entire time.  He knew what to do and reacted in good fashion.

What if? What if? Give it a break.

Motel lobby, mini mart, wal mart,burger king.....there is going to be people around that might get shot.  Why don't you give him a verbal warning first as he points a gun in your face?

"OK, everybody within the sound of my voice retreat 30 yards and take cover because I'm going to start firing my pistol."

As far as I would be concerned (juror) he was going to take the money and kill everybody in there. Fuck that.Shoot the bastard who is trying to kill you!

Buy that man a beer.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Fuck criminals.

+1

You can't have all the situations as ideal as you would like to... even under those circumstances, you have to what you have to do.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Considering the speed of the action.  He did really well.  He didnt even break any glass.  I bet everyone is deaf now and your buddy has to get a change of underwear.

Regardless, nice shoot.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

+1

I bet his co-worker shat herself!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what i always say:

"you don't have to outrun the Bear, you just have to outrun your friend" LOL

There you go being antisocial again!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice shootin  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#33]
an even more important question...

is the big girl wearing a thong ?

< 35 secs into the vid...  >
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#35]
good shoot.

good video, too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
All the posters talking about how "he couldve hit the bystander, bla, bla, bla" sicken me.  Learn how to shoot your goddamned gun.  

Thing is, there was another gun involved, which the good guy did NOT control.  If the crook had opened fire rather than turning to run, the crook could easily have shot the woman and her kid---criminals are notoriously bad shots.    I am not saying he did the wrong thing, I am just saying it was a hard call to make.  I'm glad I didn't have to make it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
So, a guy comes in to rob the place... your friend pulls a gun, and the bad guy turn around and runs out, and your buddy shoots him in the back 3 times?  Is that what happened?

I'm not saying I disagree, but I don't know that I would have shot him in the back as he ran away.
That could be a long prison sentence in many states.

Or am I missing something in this video.
And, as was asked previously, where did this happen?

I'd suggest you study reaction times, gross motor skill function, etc.....

Good shoot, we need more of this.

I applaud your friend for taking the initiative, and like the way he drew his weapon out of sight from the scumbag. I am UNOFFICALLY SADDENED the scumbag lived.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm gonna call BS on the poster knowing the guy since very little details have been provided.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#40]
tagged
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm curious what sort of training, firearm courses your buddy took.

Reacted really well, given the situation.......I doubt most of us would have such a cool head before, and during, and even after.

And off camera....it looks like he's already made demands for money, as you can see the clerk about to give him money......

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#42]
yeah i have to say what the hell kind of mother doesnt get between her kid and a BG
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#43]
What are the chances glock fotey here checked to see if there was anyone behind the glass?

Personally, its not enough to say that everything worked out.  The requirement is that, before the trigger is squeezed, the shooter knows for certain the shot will be good.  So, I'm not saying its a bad shoot--but the fact that everything worked out is not good enough.  As people have pointed out, there's not enough information.  That the guy seemed to be a decent shot is heartening, though.

So, I have no real opinion about this shooting.

Regarding my personal feelings on these sorts of things, shooting isn't really necessary.  The motel owners were presumably insured against this, and noone other than the insurance company is losing any money.  And the insurance company isn't either, really, as the underwriter is amortizing their risk--they make money anyway.  Besides, if the register operator is doing everything right, there isn't more than a few hundred dollars there anyway.  This is why most business owners quite prudently advise their employees, "Just let them have it."

The other half of the shooting, though, is fulfilling a duty to one's society.  These repeat offenders will probably just continue to, well, repeat, if not shot three times in the back.  However, personally, I am very skeptical of dealing out justice without proper trial.  Ten seconds just isn't long enough to run your own internal judge, jury, and executioner to deal out the capital punishment.  I'd say that if you want to make society a safer place to live in, there are better ways than CCW.  But then, thats just me.  I think most people here think CCW is pretty much the only way to a safe society.

In any case, its a risky affair, and I'm glad it turned out good for everyone (including the guy who got nailed--perhaps this will convince him to stop "repeating").  However, it is unfortunate that the baby almost certainly sustained hearing damage.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

+1

Whats with the guy acting like a badass at the end of the video, by pointing a gun with look like he is a maniac?  Is that somehow cool in your circle of friends?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#45]
He did the right thing,who cares if the POS was running away. He would have pulled the same shit the next night and might have killed someone.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I like this post so much, I hosted the movie as well.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All the posters talking about how "he couldve hit the bystander, bla, bla, bla" sicken me.  Learn how to shoot your goddamned gun.  

Thing is, there was another gun involved, which the good guy did NOT control.  If the crook had opened fire rather than turning to run, the crook could easily have shot the woman and her kid---criminals are notoriously bad shots.    I am not saying he did the wrong thing, I am just saying it was a hard call to make.  I'm glad I didn't have to make it.

What if the criminal didnt miss or got lucky and hit the guys friend and he died because he hesitated to fire. Or what if he just walked in and killed them. What if he just drove a car through the window and crushed everyone? what if Chuck Norris came in to save the day .

People need to stop worrying about could of happened. It didnt, it had a good ending, and the bad guy paid for it. Maybe not the way wed prefer it to be but he took some rounds and is in jail.

No situation is perfect and one never will be, and there is no way to train for every single situation. Especailly if it is most likley a once in a life time event.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#48]
While this may have been a good shooting and the guy was definitely a well practiced shooter, this particualr shooting could have gone very bad, very quick.

Forget about the fact that the perp may have decided to shoot back, he was running away. Forget about the fact that the shots by the clerk were well placed.

What I can't forget though is the fact that if the lady holding the child had not reacted as she did and moved into the scene when she got scared, instead of away from it, there could have been a VERY different outcome. That shoot was close enough to her and the child that the second scenario was a very real possibility.

Glad it turned out the way it did for everyones sake. (except the perp of course, F-him)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
He did the right thing,who cares if the POS was running away. He would have pulled the same shit the next night and might have killed someone.

+1

My only problem is the scumbag lived. Maybe next time when he gets out he'll be a little more prepared in case whoever he is robbing is armed

If I were in charge, if you commit a crime involving putting someone elses life in danger maliciously like that, you'd be in jail the rest of your life, no second chances for you to get your crime right the second time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
No rounds hit the ceiling. If you look real close at the door the perp runs through you can see 2 holes from the rounds that passed through him. The last round is still embeded in his shoulder blade. The dust was blown off the camera after the first shot by the sound waves.

Quoted:
It was .40 caliber golden saberes in the 165 grain loading. 3 out of 3 shots hit the perp, although the exact location of the hits were never told to him. He went up and looked at him for a minute when the police dispatcher asked were he was hit, but his shirt covered the wounds. He didn't want to touch him or anything. The police were very, very polite and profesional. The attitude was very positive, and since this wasn't his first hold up, I think they were happy to be able to catch him and put him away. The police bought him something to drink and gave him ciggerettes. They also gave him his gun back as soon as they were done with it, and in good condition.

Now, conventional wisdom (i.e., ballistic gelatin research) would have you believe that the said .40 JHPs would not overpenetrate, but that is clearly not the case here.

Does this mean that ballistic gelatin is an inaccurate predictor of a bullet's performance?

It would appear that the rounds struck the perp from the back, no?  If so, then the overpenetration cannot be attributed to the bullets striking an apendage or impacting at an extreme angle.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top