Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#1]
That's what you get fer buying a BMW.

As for the mileage, I once put 9k on a truck in three months. Driving 90 miles a day, six days a week.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If its only been 2 years, you can go after the person who sold it still.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can afford that kind of car it shouldn't ruin you financially. So, I'm not sure why you're stressed about it.

Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I avg around 35-40k per year.  Last few weeks I have been clicking off 1,000 mile weeks.

My 2003 330Ci now has 239,000 miles.  Please tell me more about how crazy I am.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct but for some normal guy, 40,000 miles if fucking crazy high miles....especially in a BMW.

I avg around 35-40k per year.  Last few weeks I have been clicking off 1,000 mile weeks.

My 2003 330Ci now has 239,000 miles.  Please tell me more about how crazy I am.

1000 miles a week?  Hope you have one of those gel seat cushions.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

Say what?

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't have any advice, I just want to say thank you. I feel a lot better about my not as bad financial choices
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Say what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

Have your lawyer send them a letter in certified mail about the electrical problems which surfaced after the sale and had not been disclosed as a risk. I returned a motorcycle helmet to a forum member of another site and got a full refund after 3 years. It can be done
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Have your lawyer send them a letter in certified mail about the electrical problems which surfaced after the sale and had not been disclosed as a risk. I returned a motorcycle helmet to a forum member of another site and got a full refund after 3 years. It can be done
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

I'm adding you to my list of people never to do business with. Are you sure you're on the right website?

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say what?

Asshole much?

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say what?

Have to ask:  What was wrong with the helmet?

The car is 10 years old and he put 80,000 fucking miles on it since he bought it 24 months ago.

Not to mention the fact that it would almost certainly have been sold as is.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Dont buy euro cars, I hope the Japanese do not go the same route-
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

Where are you from and what was your home life like growing up?

We're you raised by a family or were you displaced? How old are you? Do you have any formal education?

All honest questions. I'm interested in how someone like you is created.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I would try my best to keep the car.  Throw money at it (referencing paying it off) like a 20yr old hooker and get out from under it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I would try my best to keep the car.  Throw money at it (referencing paying it off) like a 20yr old hooker and get out from under it.
View Quote

This is a reasonable plan as well.  The upside is the annual registration and taxes should be $5 on account of the antique classic car status once it's paid.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol. In.  Your.  Dreams.

I bet you're one of those people that get laughed at in smalls claims court.  BTW - you have zero recourse under the law; unless you can produce a warranty agreement.  Don't have one ? Pound sand.

You probably demand refunds for the left-over popcorn you bought at the movie you snuck into; because "it got cold" .  

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He's still gonna be upside down but at least he won't have any repair costs for 4-5 years. That's I guess the best worst route to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can have a dealer add the left over amount into the total of a new car.

Example: Dealer will take your car on a trade in for 10k when you owe 14k, and just add the 4k left over on top of the new car's cost.

I wouldn't recommend that though because it doesn't help get you out of debt, just helps get you into a newer car with less problems.

If you do that try to find a left over new 2014 with lots of rebates and a dealer that really wants it off of their lot.

He's still gonna be upside down but at least he won't have any repair costs for 4-5 years. That's I guess the best worst route to go.

Yeah, that's what I'd do too.

He's going to have to eat it for a while either way, but at least one way he'd have a car that wasn't going to be a PITA and be expensive to fix.

But at least this time, I hope OP stays away from the luxury brands and goes with a more reliable over time option, like a honda.  That way he can drive it long enough to pay it off.  Or a domestic which is cheaper to fix after it starts being a maintenance whore.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Damn dude.  They saw you comin' from a mile away - how the hell do you still owe $14K on a ten year old car?

You're gonna take a beating no matter which way you go I suppose.  It's gonna be expensive for someone who knows what they're doing to fix that piece of shit and ain't nobody gonna give you what you got in it.  Lose/lose.  I'd cut your losses and chalk this up as an expensive lesson.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 years ago I bought a car that needs to be replaced, its a 05 bmw 745li and I still owe 14k. I bought the car with 80k and it now has 160k. It keeps having electrical bugs and I am sick of dealing with it. I estimate it being worth 8k trade wise. Whats the best route for replacement in this situation?

Damn dude.  They saw you comin' from a mile away - how the hell do you still owe $14K on a ten year old car?

You're gonna take a beating no matter which way you go I suppose.  It's gonna be expensive for someone who knows what they're doing to fix that piece of shit and ain't nobody gonna give you what you got in it.  Lose/lose.  I'd cut your losses and chalk this up as an expensive lesson.

If I were the OP, I'd find an independent shop, and find out what those problems are. I imagine the dash is blinking like a tilted pinball machine. No one is gonna give you anything for it, because of those lights blinking. Wonder how bad the OP's credit rating is? You,"might" be able to get an interest from a BMW dealer for a trade on a CPO 3 Series, which is what you should have gotten in the first place. Less electrical things to go wrong.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

I'm calling bullshit.

Used cars are generally sold AS IS with no express or implied warranty.  If your "lawyer" would send me that letter I would send him a picture of me masturbating feverishly over the letter and send it back to him

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say what?

FSA
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Living beyond your means... isn't it a beautiful thing...

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say what?

You are what is wrong with this country. Jesus.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Well man, sounds like you fixed yourself a shit sandwich.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Only you know your finances OP, but i would trade it in on the cheapest japanese car made by your manufacturer of choice (fit, versa, or yaris).  roll the gap into the new car, which means you will be paying 24k for a 10k car, but shouldnt have repair bills for a while.

next I would make double payments on it until i was debt free.

this assumes the bmw costs a lot per month on repairs, and you have nothing else to sell to pay off the car loan.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm adding you to my list of people never to do business with. Are you sure you're on the right website?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

He knows where he's at and he knows just what to say to push people's buttons and derail a thread.

Look, now the whole thing is about what a douchebag he must be.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Develope a crack habit and a irresponsibility of leaving your pipe and torch burning on the front seat. Sorry that's all I got your screwed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

What a pos
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If in 2013 you asked GD whether you should buy an 8 year old BMW and put 40,000 miles a year on it, we could have avoided this thread entirely.
View Quote

this exactly

life is hard.  

it's harder if you pay a big fat wad of cash for a used-up BMW
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#29]
As of now you're $6000 upside down/negative equity on a continuing depreciating asset.  (If in fact you can really get the trade value you stated)  The shortest way to get rid of that problem is lease a new car for 3 years, roll in as much negative equity they will allow(you most likely may have to kick in a couple grand up front) and when the lease is up you're done.  You can custom tailor a lease for 15-20K miles a year if necessary, but certainly not 40.  Anyway you look at it you're screwed financially, learn from your mistake, minimize your loss and don't do it again.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Problem with that is the OP will be looking at some MAJOR mechanical repairs soon. Radiator been changed? Alternator? Water pump? 4.4 leaking oil around the valve cover? VANOS seals? Transmission? Bushings? Struts? Driveshaft rubber thingy? How many windows actually work? Those will cost more than the damned thing is worth.

That's why BMWCCA's high priest mechanical guru sez to stay away from BMWs like 7 Series. They eat $$$!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Had a E 38 740i...with the sport pkg...great car, I miss it. At one ointment in my garage I had the E38, E46 M3, E39.540i 6sp

Btw is this Dave the coworker ?

I have 3 Nissan XTerra PRO 4x now..yeah I am a weird one..
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

Yeah, good luck with that.

80,000 miles, you own the damn thing.

I had someone TRY to play that game but after a few months of ownership. [car caught fire] Problem was it burned at a local ''non approved'' [read impromptu] drag strip when he was neutral dropping. Since to police broke it up, I had evidence he was illegally drag racing and it never got past the threat stage.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Had a E 38 740i...with the sport pkg...great car, I miss it. At one ointment in my garage I had the E38, E46 M3, E39.540i 6sp
View Quote

Still driving mine.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Wait. Arent you the same guy that uses your Bmw as a target holder?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1372567_Using_our_BMWandapos_s_as_target_holders.html

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Saw an E38 sitting on the side of the road with $1200 on the windshield, took awhile, but eventually some fool came along and bought it. OP's car will most likely end up on a, "BUY HERE PAY HERE" lot. Because that's about all it's worth.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

We're you raised by a family or were you displaced? How old are you? Do you have any formal education?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

I wish someone would send me a letter like that, so I could have the pleasure of laughing in their face.

Whenever you sell a used car, I guess the thing to do is make the buyer sign a piece of paper saying the car is "as-is, with NO warranty of any kind."

I never did that before but after reading this thread I will.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Still driving mine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still driving mine.

Nice..

I had an E30..as well....

My dad is a huge S class guy..they make the 7 series look reliable...he does 3 yr leases of the S 63 and jumps out ...

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Problem with that is the OP will be looking at some MAJOR mechanical repairs soon. Radiator been changed? Alternator? Water pump? 4.4 leaking oil around the valve cover? VANOS seals? Transmission? Bushings? Struts? Driveshaft rubber thingy? How many windows actually work? Those will cost more than the damned thing is worth.

That's why BMWCCA's high priest mechanical guru sez to stay away from BMWs like 7 Series. They eat $$$!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good point.  OK OP you're screwed
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Buy a $3500 Honda, pay cash and keep just liability insurance on it. Meanwhile get a code reader for said BMW and fix it yourself. Drive it on weekends or when the Honda breaks down.  Double up on payments and try to sale.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

You deserve the rash of shit your are getting for this comment. I have little to add to what others have said, but I join in each one of their comments.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
2 years ago I bought a car that needs to be replaced, its a 05 bmw 745li and I still owe 14k. I bought the car with 80k and it now has 160k. It keeps having electrical bugs and I am sick of dealing with it. I estimate it being worth 8k trade wise. Whats the best route for replacement in this situation?
View Quote

Honestly, who buys a beat to death (80k miles) BMW, and does not budget for constant repairs?  You wanted the flash but not the upkeep.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1372567_Using_our_BMWandapos_s_as_target_holders.html

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well now.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

That is rather Douchey.  You bought it, it's yours.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You should double down and trade it in for an older, out-of-warranty Range Rover.
View Quote

He will also need to buy stock in Lucas Wiring Harness Smoke.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

The answer to all your questions is "Wolves".
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm calling bullshit.

Used cars are generally sold AS IS with no express or implied warranty.  If your "lawyer" would send me that letter I would send him a picture of me masturbating feverishly over the letter and send it back to him

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

I'm calling bullshit.

If that were the case, BMW/MINI/Jaguar/Land Rover/MB/Audi/Porsche/Volkswagen wouldn't be in business. You buy a car like this, you better do the research, and it better have service history too. Otherwise buyer beware!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#48]
If you look up the reliability of cars as reported by owners, a lot of the premium brands are actually quite shitty

that's what happens when your customers are content to buy the steam and sizzle and call it a juicy steak

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

thats your problem

get a honda
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top