Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:12:24 AM EST
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How the hell did you manage to still owe $14k, on an 8-year old car you bought 2 years ago? Did you buy it at an absurdly high price and APR?

5 years ago, I bought a 2003 BMW 530i (7 years old at the time, with 80k on the clock). It was $15k out the door.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Slight hijack, but how did you like the 530i ? I'm looking at old 2003 530's and 540's just for an extra car.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:25:37 AM EST
[#2]
Quoted:

Slight hijack, but how did you like the 530i ? I'm looking at old 2003 530's and 540's just for an extra car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How the hell did you manage to still owe $14k, on an 8-year old car you bought 2 years ago? Did you buy it at an absurdly high price and APR?

5 years ago, I bought a 2003 BMW 530i (7 years old at the time, with 80k on the clock). It was $15k out the door.

I like it. 12 years old and still handles like a champ. Just like everyone else complains, there are "electrical issues" - FM radio is out. AM works fine, as does the TAPE DECK (!). DVD navigation system is out since the DVD drive is shot. Wife complains that the driver seat adjustment doesn't work for her (she has to sit higher than me, and of course it's uneven when it tries to raise, but I always bottom out the seat height).

Like all BMWs with the M54 engines, this one has started to consume oil at an irritating rate (a quart or so every 1k miles), but nothing a jug of the approved Castrol from Walmart can't fix.

I really wanted the 540i 6-Speed, but couldn't find one at the time in my price range, and while the BMW I6s tend to be bulletproof, the V8s are more rare and, well, maybe not as reliable...

Unfortunately, the next family car may end up being Japanese - the sedan might not cut it anymore, may need three rows of seats (wife likes the way the Toyota Sequoia looks). Death before minivan!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:29:33 AM EST
[#3]
Quoted:

Or a diesel Cruze.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, the only thing I can add....if...IF you are going to trade it in on another vehicle.....you need to leave your ego home, do a ton of research and buy a vehicle that will deal with the milage you plan to put on it, and not sink you even deeper in debt then this one already has...in other words you need to choose very very carefully.............

No kidding. He bought a used 05 V12 BMW when he should have bought a used 05 Neon.

Or a diesel Cruze.

I was thinking honda accord, toyota camry, subaru legacy..anything under 20 grand new that is known reliable, that gets >30 mpg ...and that a cute woman would walk by and never even glance at......
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:32:12 AM EST
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:36:20 AM EST
[#5]
Quoted:
Best bet is to find a lease co that specializes in high mileage driving and just take the hit on it job that doesn't require you to put FOURTY THOUSAND FUCKIN MILES on your vehicle every year
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:37:12 AM EST
[#6]
Quoted:

I like it. 12 years old and still handles like a champ. Just like everyone else complains, there are "electrical issues" - FM radio is out. AM works fine, as does the TAPE DECK (!). DVD navigation system is out since the DVD drive is shot. Wife complains that the driver seat adjustment doesn't work for her (she has to sit higher than me, and of course it's uneven when it tries to raise, but I always bottom out the seat height).

Like all BMWs with the M54 engines, this one has started to consume oil at an irritating rate (a quart or so every 1k miles), but nothing a jug of the approved Castrol from Walmart can't fix.

I really wanted the 540i 6-Speed, but couldn't find one at the time in my price range, and while the BMW I6s tend to be bulletproof, the V8s are more rare and, well, maybe not as reliable...

Unfortunately, the next family car may end up being Japanese - the sedan might not cut it anymore, may need three rows of seats (wife likes the way the Toyota Sequoia looks). Death before minivan!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha yeah I hope I'm never in a position to have to even consider a mini van
Thanks for the info. The E39's (any of them) all sound fairly reliable for contemporary BMWs. I always thought they were good looking cars

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:39:15 AM EST
[#7]
Bmw sucks.  That's all I got.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:40:53 AM EST
[#8]
Where do you live OP?  What type of electrical issues does it have?  I may be able to help if you are near Houston.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:45:18 AM EST
[#9]
Leave the keys in it.  Maybe someone will steal it.

In my experience, most people will roll the negative equity into a new loan.  The new loan with be about 6 years and they will never have positive equity on it.  This will be repeated until bankruptcy or death.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:50:28 AM EST
[#10]
Quoted:

I was thinking honda accord, toyota camry, subaru legacy..anything under 20 grand new that is known reliable, that gets >30 mpg ...and that a cute woman would walk by and never even glance at......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, the only thing I can add....if...IF you are going to trade it in on another vehicle.....you need to leave your ego home, do a ton of research and buy a vehicle that will deal with the milage you plan to put on it, and not sink you even deeper in debt then this one already has...in other words you need to choose very very carefully.............

No kidding. He bought a used 05 V12 BMW when he should have bought a used 05 Neon.

Or a diesel Cruze.

That's what puppies are for.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:54:02 AM EST
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a diesel Cruze.

Yeah, but he can't afford a woman, he is gonna be upside down in his second car for the next 7 years...Also OP..whatever the payment is, just plan on adding another C-note on to it every month..that way by the time its wore out again in 3-4 years you won't be so upside down in it again.....
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:58:41 AM EST
[#12]

Quoted:

7 Series are really bad for electrical issues. OP, you a member of BMWCCA?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry to say my friend but BMW's have a lot of electronic problems...no matter what year or model

Just out of curiosity what would it gain him if he is a member?  I don't own a BMW but have considered it.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:00:53 AM EST
[#13]
That's a bleak position.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:01:05 AM EST
[#14]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity what would it gain him if he is a member?  I don't own a BMW but have considered it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry to say my friend but BMW's have a lot of electronic problems...no matter what year or model

Discount on parts.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:01:46 AM EST
[#15]

Can the stealership not fix it?

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:06:36 AM EST
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a diesel Cruze.

Ding ding. Had the OP done this, he'd likely be sitting in a 2 year old sedan with 80k on the odometer. 6 months before the 100k out-of-warranty alarm goes off, and about half paid off to boot.

The OP likely could have bought a Cadillac CTS-V for $5k less than that BMW, and got more MPG, the same-ish repair costs, and been easily right-side up on his loan.

Shit, in 2013, he could have got a 2005 E46 330i for $11k-14k, and that probably would still be going like my 2001 325i.

There's just so many other options to consider instead of the ginormous boatload of electrical issues known as the 7-series.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:11:01 AM EST
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. The E39's (any of them) all sound fairly reliable for contemporary BMWs. I always thought they were good looking cars

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:12:41 AM EST
[#18]
^ niiiicce M5!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:59:30 AM EST
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discounts on parts from dealerships and vendors and tech tips. You need to get a code reader to find out what's wrong with the car, that'll save you some $$$ too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:31:41 AM EST
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:38:49 AM EST
[#21]
LOL do you even lease bro?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:42:10 AM EST
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minivans are awesome.

They are just -87 on the cool factor.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:44:36 AM EST
[#23]
Quoted:
LOL do you even lease bro?
View Quote

At 40K miles per year?

Hell no.

Should have bought a 2004 Honda Civic HX coupe for 6K and driven the wheels off of it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:46:35 AM EST
[#24]
Im a huge BMW fan but even I wouldn't touch a 7 series.  Hell, I wouldn't buy a 7 series even under warranty.

I can count on one hand how many times my N54 has been at the dealer and 4 of those fingers were for the included scheduled maintenance.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:47:55 AM EST
[#25]
Hello, hello, where did you go OP, maybe he drove off a cliff.
I think you are screwed, next time buy a less expensive car.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:52:54 AM EST
[#26]
You should double down and trade it in for an older, out-of-warranty Range Rover.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:54:09 AM EST
[#27]
Quoted:
Im a huge BMW fan but even I wouldn't touch a 7 series.  Hell, I wouldn't buy a 7 series even under warranty.

I can count on one hand how many times my N54 has been at the dealer and 4 of those fingers were for the included scheduled maintenance.

View Quote

Did you just take the engine to the dealer?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:54:43 AM EST
[#28]
Quoted:
You should double down and trade it in for an older, out-of-warranty Range Rover.
View Quote

Oh, you're a cruel one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:55:39 AM EST
[#29]
Quoted:

40,000  Miles in a year? Unless you're a professional truck driver there's no reason for anybody to drive 40,000 miles in a year!  What do you do that you spend all day every day behind the wheel driving? You are sooooo fucking screwed!!! Sorry man and good luck!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 years ago I bought a car that needs to be replaced, its a 05 bmw 745li and I still owe 14k. I bought the car with 80k and it now has 160k. It keeps having electrical bugs and I am sick of dealing with it. I estimate it being worth 8k trade wise. Whats the best route for replacement in this situation?

40,000  Miles in a year? Unless you're a professional truck driver there's no reason for anybody to drive 40,000 miles in a year!  What do you do that you spend all day every day behind the wheel driving? You are sooooo fucking screwed!!! Sorry man and good luck!!!

Sounds like he has a long commute to work (guessing 50 miles each way) which isn't uncommon if he's working in a big city and living in the burbs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:09:41 AM EST
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't have any advice, I just want to say thank you. I feel a lot better about my not as bad financial choices
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 years ago I bought a car that needs to be replaced, its a 05 bmw 745li and I still owe 14k. I bought the car with 80k and it now has 160k. It keeps having electrical bugs and I am sick of dealing with it. I estimate it being worth 8k trade wise. Whats the best route for replacement in this situation?

I don't have any advice, I just want to say thank you. I feel a lot better about my not as bad financial choices

+1
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:13:29 AM EST
[#31]
If that's the case find a cheap 0 down lease on something like the Carolla ($99/month here for three years) and roll the negative equity into the lease so about $340/month on the lease and in three years you can walk away if the car is upside down, buy it or trade it if it has equity.  This is the best approach imho.

Eta damn saw the mileage you drive, you could find a corporate leasing program, however on a three year with negative equity probably around $600-$700/month.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:15:14 AM EST
[#32]
80k in two years?

Actual question: why would you spend that much on a used luxury vehicle simply to rack up such intense mileage?

My advice is dump the fucking thing, roll what's left into a loan for a new sensible vehicle with a warranty, and consider it lesson learned.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:18:31 AM EST
[#33]
Gap insurance and a nice heavy utility pole at 87 mph should take care of it.  Wear your seat belt.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:22:32 AM EST
[#34]
Quoted:

If the trade is worth 5k, he rolls the remaining 9k into a new car loan, it's done all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouldn't own a BMW outside of it's warranty period.

Not much you can do except trade it in and roll the balance into a new loan but only do this if you really need a car.

Who would give a loan for a car's full value + $14K, what could possibly go wrong?

If the trade is worth 5k, he rolls the remaining 9k into a new car loan, it's done all the time.

Also a super quick way to financial ruin, bankruptcy, loss of credit rating, etc, etc, etc,. A hole one will never be able to climb out of.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:25:56 AM EST
[#35]
88 mile round trip from home to work and back.  I don't drive a BMW!!!!  I looked around and found a 06 Mercury Grand Marquis that was driven by an old man.  In 2012, I picked it up for 6k and 100k on the odo.  I just passed 150k on it (I split driving between the Merc and my 97 F150 that is about to be traded in for a SUV), and I'll drive it till it quits (never), or the wife unit makes me get rid of it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:26:41 AM EST
[#36]

Quoted:

80k in two years?

Actual question: why would you spend that much on a used luxury vehicle simply to rack up such intense mileage?

My advice is dump the fucking thing, roll what's left into a loan for a new sensible vehicle with a warranty, and consider it lesson learned.
View Quote
That's what boggles my mind. Unless he got new job much further from home right after he bought it, it just doesn't make any sense at all. For what he still owes plus 2 years of payments it had to have cost well over $20k. For that much you could spend a couple thousand on an older Civic or Accord as a commuter and still have plenty left for decent used BMW or some other sporty car for the weekends or taking to work once or twice a week.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:26:51 AM EST
[#37]
Quoted:

Also a super quick way to financial ruin, bankruptcy, loss of credit rating, etc, etc, etc,. A hole one will never be able to climb out of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouldn't own a BMW outside of it's warranty period.

Not much you can do except trade it in and roll the balance into a new loan but only do this if you really need a car.

Who would give a loan for a car's full value + $14K, what could possibly go wrong?

What you are saying is not wrong. But if he were to get a Honda something that gets great gas mileage and has a long warranty then he can control the other costs and free up money to pay down the debt. Shit sandwich either way.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:44:20 AM EST
[#38]
Not too many dealerships are gonna touch that 745 with 160k and blinking lights on the dash. It's gonna go right into wholesale. Right now it has electrical issues, soon it's gonna have major mechanical issues too.

I was in the same spot somewhat, dumped an X5 with a tranny that sounded like a cow in heat, for a 135 vert. Got a good deal though, signed the papers on New Years Eve. 29k miles when bought, now has 36k.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:46:57 AM EST
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks Frank, made me snort.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:52:01 AM EST
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:00:22 AM EST
[#41]
You bought a used 7 series?

You did research them and find out they depreciate faster than a boat, and have just as many electrical gremlins before you bought it, right?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:02:50 AM EST
[#42]
Time to work on that DIY EE knowledge
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:12:50 AM EST
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M54's tend to leak oil more than consume it. I'm fixing to replace the dried out valve cover gaskets on my m54 Z3 so I can stop smelling burning oil that's dripping on the exhaust manifold, also plan on replacing the Vanos o-rings while I'm at it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:13:24 AM EST
[#44]
Buy a Toyota.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:17:22 AM EST
[#45]
rough estimate of how many miles op drives on weekdays: 160

Yikes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:20:04 AM EST
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or a Jaguar.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:22:52 AM EST
[#47]

Quoted:

You owe 14k on a  2005
View Quote

OP is likely an E3, bought it at a dealer right outside the gate and financed it at 24.99% APR as well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:26:24 AM EST
[#48]
Quoted:

Correct but for some normal guy, 40,000 miles if fucking crazy high miles....especially in a BMW.
View Quote

I avg around 35-40k per year.  Last few weeks I have been clicking off 1,000 mile weeks.

My 2003 330Ci now has 239,000 miles.  Please tell me more about how crazy I am.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:27:11 AM EST
[#49]

Quoted:

You owe 14k on a  2005
View Quote
This.

After paying on it for two years.

OP got sold a basket of goods on that deal.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:43:55 AM EST
[#50]
You may be able to find a dealer that will finance a new vehicle and allow you to roll the negative equity from what's left after trade-in into the loan.  Be prepared to pay high interest rates.  Be sure to ask about gap insurance.

Page / 6
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.