BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I am in the same boat as you since 10/31. I'm pounding the pavement and applying everywhere I can that would allow me & my daughter to survive. If I do not get anything by 01/09 I will pull all my 401K money and try to start a business. I'll try to create a few jobs on the way if I can.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What are your skills?  What training do you have?  What education do you have?  These are the things to ask yourself.  What you can do is dependant upon these things.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#4]
So you're saying there are absolutely no help wanted ads in the paper?

Or did you mean there are no jobs you want to do?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you apply for unemployment? If so do that and at least that'll give you something while you're looking. The yard mowing is a good idea but seasonal most places. Here in Ohio you sure don't need your yard mowed Nov-Mar.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the same boat. My business just went under due to the economic turn down. So did my friend's business. I'm trying to find a job as I type this. I'm am a few day away from pulling my 401k
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]
If you can't find a job where you are, move to where the jobs are.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#8]
This company is always hiring-do store inventories nights, have your days free to look for "better" jobs.  By the way, when retail stores go bankrupt, these guys do an "extra" inventory:

www.rgis.com
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#9]
A rgis inventory droid?

Man, I'd pay to NOT do that job!  I couldn't imagine a more boring job in all the world.  I know, I've worked at companies that had rgis do inventory.   I've been working while
they were actively doing the counts.   I'd rather be unemployed than do that, really.

I think I'd rather be a wombat* than that.

(*Wombat:  The guy standing behind the garbage truck, guiding it back into an alley,
shouting,  "Wom bat! Wom bat!"  (C'mon back!  C'mon back!)    )

CJ
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you ever tried your hand at growing weed?

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Learn a trade or skill that's being hired for. That simple.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#12]
You do whatever it takes (legally).  I'm working on that with one of my employees right now.  You might have to stop wasting money on cigs (well, he does.  Don't know about you), sell the TV, and definitely sell the PS3.  You might have to get several part times jobs.  Several guys on here have brought up great suggestions....follow them until you find the means to sustain yourself.  If you have to move, you move to where another job is available.  Keep your chin up!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#13]
A friend of mine just sent me this email.

Just had a woman call me… said “hello, my name is Sandra Wilson, Do you need anyone to work for you?”

So maybe you can try cold calling to see if anyone needs help.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#14]
There are ALWAYS janitorial jobs around too, especially if you live in an area that has alot of industrial infrastructure.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#15]
The job market sucks.  You can sell stuff on ebay/craigslist/EE, blow leaves.  I don't try to do any one thing full time.  Like last week I sold stuff on the EE, cleaned out a rental property for a realtor, and today worked on a website for a small business.  I have taken stuff to the scrapyard.  Realtor is supposed to be calling me with another property today or tomorrow, 1 to clean, 1 to maybe paint.  You can get cleaning jobs.  Call centers are always hiring.  Hit up real estate places and see if they have work cutting yards/raking leaves etc on empty houses for sale.  

Money is tight but actually I have got to like it, doing something different every day and basically setting my own hours and not sitting at a desk all day.  It gets discouraging if stuff doesn't come in, but it's fun when it does.  Consider if your profession is something you could advertise on craigslist etc as a service to offer to people.  I'm a graphic artist so it's something I can do from home.  Make an ad on there for yardwork, painting, whatever you feel comfortable doing.  Set it up on a Monday and put up a new one each week to keep it on top of the listings.  But I think people go wrong when they try to only do one thing, the more stuff you know how to do, the better.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Move.  Move somewhere that has jobs and a lower cost of living.

Move to Texas and attend TSTC (Texas State Technical College).  Learn to be a machinist, or plant worker, or nurse.  You can work at a restaurant or whatever while you go to work and get financial assistance.

If you don't have a good paying job, in an area with lower cost of living than you've ever experienced, waiting for you when you graduate, then you are probably a severe fuck up and should just play space invaders and have illegitimate kids and live off of Unkie Obama...

- AG
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A rgis inventory droid?

Man, I'd pay to NOT do that job!  I couldn't imagine a more boring job in all the world.  I know, I've worked at companies that had rgis do inventory.   I've been working while
they were actively doing the counts.   I'd rather be unemployed than do that, really.

(*Wombat:  The guy standing behind the garbage truck, guiding it back into an alley,

CJ

Being a RGIS droid has the advantage of pushing out your ETA homelessness date out at least a while.

Also, having seen them in action, if your EEG shows anysort of amplitude, you'll be a supervisor in no time due to their employee turnover rate.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Every single Taco Bell I have ever seen has a "now hiring" sign on the window at a per hour rate that is usually at least $2 above minimum wage.

Heck the downturn is probably helping Taco Bell, with as cheap as you can eat there.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This company is always hiring-do store inventories nights, have your days free to look for "better" jobs.  By the way, when retail stores go bankrupt, these guys do an "extra" inventory:

www.rgis.com

I used to watch them do inventory at my old job (grocery store) ... I don't know how they can type in those numbers so fast!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So you're saying there are absolutely no help wanted ads in the paper?

Or did you mean there are no jobs you want to do?

This.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Go visit a staffing agency.

For sure.
Alot of quality operations, test the waters with all personal beginning from the start with a Temp Service.

Good Luck

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A rgis inventory droid?

CJ

Being a RGIS droid has the advantage of pushing out your ETA homelessness date out at least a while.

Also, having seen them in action, if your EEG shows anysort of amplitude, you'll be a supervisor in no time due to their employee turnover rate.

I worked for them once when I was waiting to go to bootcamp. Paid me $8 an hour in 1998 and we worked some overtime also. Sucks going into a department/grocery store for 12 hours at night and counting inventory but it was money. They had a bunch of women working for them back then also
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I was in the same boat as you a couple months ago, so I'll give you my thoughts on the subject.

Craig's list- auto repair, or general.  People need an honest mechanic or worker to do simple stuff like brakes, etc.
Also, pressure washing decks, painting and other handyman stuff etc.  It would be 5X harder than having a regular job,  but, I thing it would be a valid option if you got payment in cash.

Also, don't forget that you can move.  I have moved 6 times in 15 years because of my career.  Some people can do it, others can't.  I'm not saying it's easy, but it's better than being unemployed.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#24]
You guys gave me great ideas.

Have quite a few miscellaneous AR parts, tools and skills to do AR 15 work, Free Floats etc.

So I advertised in EE and will do so on Craigs list also.

Thanks for the good ideas.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Volunteer to go blow the shit out of some pirates.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#26]
www.usajobs.gov

Customs is hiring.......all kinds of jobs
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Prisons and jails are always hiring CO's, you can usually get paid to go to school and receive some decent benefits/retirement as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#30]
The suggestion to go back to school is a good one. I spent my "down time" getting an MBA. If you are not interested in that level of commitment then look into a certification of some kind, like a Six Sigma Black Belt or New Product Development Professional (both in my field). A few extra credentials can only help your marketability.

If you need money NOW, then that's a little tougher. Check into seasonal retail like stocking shelves at night. Check Lowes and Home Depot.

And lastly, do what a lot of people are doing - scrounge the garage and basement for stuff that has value and sell it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Go back to school.  Take up nursing.  That's a profession that won't be outsourced.

My sister is in a nursing program. She is making tons of money..... Not to metion she had to wait years before she got into it....pretty nice way to make some money on the side.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Have you checked the local school systems to see if they need any substitute teachers? Around here people pull in $100 a day doing that. It isn't much, but it is a start. Janitorial services are almost always hiring. Garbage businesses, municipalities (highway, water, sewer), if you are young, strong, and are decent at math you can get a job as a lineman for an electrical utility. Oil fields seem to always be hiring, and it also seems that way for mines.

You aren't going to find any gravy work during this economy, but there is always work to be found. I would also suggest the military. You are going to have to work your ass off, and maybe work a couple jobs to get by until you find something more permanent, but there are always jobs available.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Preasure washing.   There was a kid back home that bought a decent pressure washer and went around asking people if they wanted their sidewalk, driveway or house pressure washed.  I think he did one guys sidewalk for free on each street.  After that everyone wanted theirs done because they didnt want to have the dingy looking sidewalk infront of their house and a clean one in front of the neighbors.  Same idea as mowing lawns just a fresher angle.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We're always hiring:

Yeah...the military could use some more good folks.

Also if you have a marketable skill that the contractors in Iraq or AFG could use, try them.

You could be a PIRATE.    ARRRRGHHH!

We have a 40K signup for EOD Techs.

Link to Vid

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top