Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Impressive, I take it you will be buying a surge protector in the near future?  

Every thing was on a surge protector. It ran in through the phone line  into the cable box. Then it ran though the phone line or coax into everything else.

I'll try to find a before picture of the tree and update the op.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Did any of your equipment have surge protection on them?
(Not that it would have made a difference against something like this.)

ETA:  Nevermind, too late...
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow.  That is impressive.

I am glad that your family is OK, and that your home did not sustain any worse damage than it did.

We had lightning hit our house a few years ago when we lived out in the country.   It fried phone, A/C and septic, but nothing like the damage you have.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was a kid, a lightning strike blew the fuck out of our TV, but nothing like this.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every thing was on a surge protector. It ran in through the phone line  into the cable box. Then it ran though the phone line or coax into everything else.

That should all run though surge protection as well.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Fuck me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

In our experience surge protectors interfere with signal quality.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There  really is no good protection from a strike like that. Lightning will fuse materials together and make conductors out of otherwise good insulators.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So are you going to make a bat with the wood?

Or a rifle stock?

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A surge protector won't save you from a lightning strike in your backyard or the telephone pole that connects to your house. Even a real deal lightning protection system with all the rods, grounds and cables likely wouldn't have stopped all that stuff from being fried.

A 100 amp surge is going to fry your PC, and a lightning strike is 100,000 amps.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#11]
So is the new saying going to be "id hit it like lightning hit the tree in graysonp's front yard?"

Someone needs to shop that, nao.

Seriously, glad the damage is somewhat limited.  Lots of charring, fortunately it stopped at that.

Any estimate on damage?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to mourn the loss of all the old growth trees I'm seeing

Tree Explosion's are sad

What kind of mental illness does it take to talk to trees?  

My ex talked to trees. Thought she could control the wind.

So I'm going with bipolar combined with histrionic personality disorder.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Holy crap!

I would definitely make something with the wood.. bat, gun stock, walking stick. That had to be loud.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I've seen that happen just once. I was close enough to be pelted with debris; that was a WTF moment.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Crazy stuff!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I heard that tree shriek! Oppressor.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad everyones okay.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hahaha, like that'll do squat from a lightning strike. Much less one this intense...
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm impressed.  Seen it happen before, but never that close to a home. I'm really surprised you didn't lose windows.

I'm amazed the phone wires conducted that much power into the house.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Wasn't lightning.

It was an airstrike.

We're on to you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#21]
That's insane
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Holy shit that's impressive!  Glad your wife and your home are OK; that was too close for comfort.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

To be honest, I didn't know you could run coax and phone lines through surge protection. But as others have mentioned, I don't think it would have mattered in this case.

We are still working on quotes and estimates for insurance. It should cover nearly everything, minus the deductible. The quote for cleaning up the tree was $1,200, which seems reasonable given the amount of debris in this case. But depending on how much of the cleanup my insurance covers, we may do some of it ourselves.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Very impressive
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#25]
We had this happen to a large poplar on our property last month. Completely splintered the tree and there were shards embedded in neighboring trees. Luckely it wasn't close to the house like yours was. Don't have a pic here with me, but have some at home.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Shocking

Brilliant!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#27]
The Cenobites were in town...

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Surge protectors?  

We have what they call Zap Cap here, via the power company for an extra $8 a month.  But:
* Zap Cap Systems® are not designed to offer protection from a direct lightning strike.

I've seen melted breaker boxes, melted power outlets, fried stoves, refrigerators, washers and dryers.

Fun stuff.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Whole thing fell off.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#30]
As long as the lighting made it home safe.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Someone has not been giving homage to Zeus...

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#32]
your lucky your house did catch fire.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Saw that happen once when I was still in school.  A bunch of us were on the third story balcony of a friend's apartment watching the lightning strikes hit in the neighboring subdivision.

The vinyl siding on the exterior of the apartment building started to vibrate, and someone had the presence of mind to yell "Everyone inside now!!!"

Ears ringing, negative image of a lightning bolt in your vision for a few minutes, and the top half of a nearby tree was just gone.  

Be thankful your family was indoors.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Holy shit! I've seen lightning close up before, but I've never seen it explode a tree. I knew the potential was there, but there aren't a whole bunch of trees big enough to go bang around here. I have, however, seen it hit a chainlink fence from less than 100 yards away. Leaves a very interesting pattern emblazoned on your retina for the next hour or so.

Glad nobody got hurt!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn. I'm at work so whatever picture site that is won't load the pics.

This website just so happens to be the only website i can go to that isn't blocked.

Can't wait to get home to see the pics.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#36]
I see a future when we are going to be able to direct and harness lightning.

In the mean time I'm glad everybody is OK.

GM
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#37]
He was fucking around with a five gallon bucket of tannerite during a thunderstorm.......  Don't let him fool ya fellas............
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I see a future when we are going to be able to direct and harness lightning.

In the mean time I'm glad everybody is OK.

GM

Actually it can be done now. Small rockets fired up into thunder heads with trailing wire can initiate strikes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Lightning hit a tree in my inlaws yard a few years back, Ran down the tree into the ground and came back out thru the wiring in the house... Burnt the house down... Lightning can cause some serious issues...
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Lightning can have quite a range of energy levels, obviously that was one at the top end of the scale.  The amount of damage is pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Holy Shitsnacks!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To be honest, I didn't know you could run coax and phone lines through surge protection. But as others have mentioned, I don't think it would have mattered in this case.

We are still working on quotes and estimates for insurance. It should cover nearly everything, minus the deductible. The quote for cleaning up the tree was $1,200, which seems reasonable given the amount of debris in this case. But depending on how much of the cleanup my insurance covers, we may do some of it ourselves.

APC UPS devices have coax protection, but I don't know that they're meant for lightning strikes.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are pretty common,  however not going to stop a direct hit like this.  Properly connected ground blocks and such will direct allot of it to ground,  but it will still fry most of your stuff.        At this point, it is best to make sure stuff like this is in fact covered by your home-owners INS.      

Weirdest one I seen happened to my Dad's neighbor..   Lightning hit their flag pole, travelled through a nearby under ground natural gas line, and blew their gas meter apart and set the side of their house on fire.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#45]
DAMN!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Why?  If that happens again, he'd just be replacing a surge protector along with all the other shit.

I don't think that was your garden variety lightning bolt.  Google positive lightning
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Holy SHIT!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#48]
It made one hell of a mess, thats for damn sure!

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll try to find a before picture of the tree and update the op.

Lightning travels miles through air, a decent insulator.
It laughs at pussy surge protectors.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They are pretty common,  however not going to stop a direct hit like this.  Properly connected ground blocks and such will direct allot of it to ground,  but it will still fry most of your stuff.        At this point, it is best to make sure stuff like this is in fact covered by your home-owners INS.      

Weirdest one I seen happened to my Dad's neighbor..   Lightning hit their flag pole, travelled through a nearby under ground natural gas line, and blew their gas meter apart and set the side of their house on fire.

And of the stuff that survives, be prepared to see a LOT of early failures, most within the next six months or so.

I've cleaned up after this stuff on networks.  It's crazy shit.  We had over voltages come in on a coax, jump to cat 5, and fry a bunch of stuff that way.  Shit, I had a computer at the far end of the damage that caught it on the cat 5 network line.  Blew the network card, blew the motherboard, blew a video card next to it.  Power supply was fine.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top