Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one and use it for a variety of things.

My wife probably ends up using it more often than I do though, to clean jewelry.

Works good. Would recommend.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have one and use it for a variety of things.

My wife probably ends up using it more often than I do though, to clean jewelry.

Works good. Would recommend.
View Quote

Same here.

I use mine on pistol slides, bolts, bolt carriers, triggers, stuff like that.

I want one BAD that can fit an entire AR upper with a 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think my guys use Simple Green in the shop
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Be careful using flammable liquids or solvents in ultrasonic cleaners. The ultrasonic action generates heat, even without a heating function. This is why the manufacturers discourage the use of flammables in them. Although it's unlikely to ignite, and it's mostly liability especially with these smaller consumer units.

Try ZEP "Industrial Purple".

I think my guys use Simple Green in the shop
That's what I use.  It's cheap and it doesn't smell like ass.  I usually run parts 2 cycles through the cleaner, then rinse them in water, and soak in Mobil 1 for a few minutes and wipe off.. no rust yet.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have thought about one.

My biggest question is what do you do with the solution once it gets all dirty?
View Quote

filter it out, if its TOO crappy then get rid of it and start fresh
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Just be careful with aluminum parts.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How does it work, what advantages does it give you and why should I get it?
View Quote
To find out how it works, use Google.  I don't feel like explaining it.
The advantages? No more scraping carbon off AR-15 bolts or other small parts.  Usually if I run a bolt and carrier through two cycles, I can take them out and hit them with a toothbrush and they look like they just left the factory.  It's a MAJOR time saver since I can just set it to run and go do something else, vs having to sit there and scraping a bolt with a dental pic. I REALLY like it for Remington triggers.. just pull the trigger out of the gun, throw it in the cleaner for a while, lube, and replace.

Now I want one that's big enough to fit a barreled action in.. I'm sick of cleaning out neglected bolt actions by hand.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Just ordered one.

Can someone reccomend a solution to use?

I.e. Cup of simple green and a gallon of water.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife has a nice one she cleans her jewelry with.  Am I going to be in the dog house if I clean my 22 suppressor baffles in it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Would a WD40 solution solve the hydrogen embroilment issue?

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Stupid question alert:

Is this a once in a while cleaning method, or can it be used to clean your gun every time you field strip clean it?
View Quote
u can, but its a tad overkill.. i have the same 1, i use it for cleaning suppressors, brass and gun parts.

match rifle brass, ill run 1 every 10 reloads or so... normaly ill use corncob/walnut mix for day to day

AR bolts its great on, i use the hornady mix for guns, suppressors it depends, heavy carbon, ill add some lemishine to it  

buddy FILLs the thing with bulk hoppes... thats WAY overpriced to use

brass, i use water dish soap and lemishine, or hornady mix + lemi

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Something with moving parts from Harbor Freight? It will probably shit itself after 3-5 uses.
View Quote
its the SAME one lyman sells for 2x the price...

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Cleaner I would say yes inside the primer pocket as well. But it does not polish the brass like a tumbler. I still like fitz or nu-finish car polish in my tumbler media for polishing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have  cleaned a lot of brass with it.

Does it work better than tumbling ?
Cleaner I would say yes inside the primer pocket as well. But it does not polish the brass like a tumbler. I still like fitz or nu-finish car polish in my tumbler media for polishing.  
add lemi shine, it will

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Just ordered one.

View Quote
http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Sonic-Cleaner-Solution-ounces/dp/B004EXPKGI/ref=pd_sim_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0N7CSENZSYNPHPWEWMAJ

http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Shot-Sonic-Clean-Solution/dp/B003O1US7C/ref=pd_sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FYQG8GJ8S1H9P7022J0

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green-13406-Aircraft-Precision/dp/B001VXU7OE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421160688&sr=8-5&keywords=ultrasonic+cleaner+solution

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

American & HF don't exactly go hand in hand
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
where is the coupon?

HF has a two page ad in every American Rifleman.

American & HF don't exactly go hand in hand

And yet every store employs Americans.

Imagine that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#15]
if u need bigger, 150$ gets you a 6l

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Tech-6L-Stainless-Steel-150w-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Heater-Basket-Part-Jewelry-/111368043972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ee0d7dc4

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Sonic-Cleaner-Solution-ounces/dp/B004EXPKGI/ref=pd_sim_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0N7CSENZSYNPHPWEWMAJ  

http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Shot-Sonic-Clean-Solution/dp/B003O1US7C/ref=pd_sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FYQG8GJ8S1H9P7022J0

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green-13406-Aircraft-Precision/dp/B001VXU7OE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421160688&sr=8-5&keywords=ultrasonic+cleaner+solution

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just ordered one.

solution

more solution

and even more solution

Made hot for others.

EBR666
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
if u need bigger, 150$ gets you a 6l

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Tech-6L-Stainless-Steel-150w-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Heater-Basket-Part-Jewelry-/111368043972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ee0d7dc4

View Quote

made this hot also

EBR666
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Ultrasonic cleaners are great.  I recently cleaned a Win 94 that was made in '97-'98, that is, 1897 or 1898.  That took me over 13 hours of work and I know I could have cut the time in half had I access to an ultrasonic cleaner.  Mind you, they come out cleaner than they went in, but still need some elbow grease to get the parts entirely clean.  We did a lot of cleaning at school (Firearms Repair I and Repair II) since everything we serviced had to be cleaned first  The idea is for you to return a spotless firearm to the customer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Oh no, the last thing I need is another reason to go to Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.  /slowly backs out of thread
View Quote

This, damnit. It doesn't help that they opened a brand new harbor freight store that is like a mile away from my house.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#20]
No one has posted the code yet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can someone expound on this?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#23]
If I have a suppressor with baffels welded in can I throw the whole thing in this and clean it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#24]
People clean guns?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I like my Hornady cleaner but be careful what solution you use. Lemishine is great for brass but I've had it strip bluing off parts. It worked so well for that, that I just used it to strip the finish off some parts.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My wife has a nice one she cleans her jewelry with.  Am I going to be in the dog house if I clean my 22 suppressor baffles in it?
View Quote

No, the pan cleans up easily with a wipe of a paper towel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#27]
When you've got 4 transducers let us know. Until then you're just playing around.

I needed a big one for work, fortunately.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ultrasonic cleaners are great.  I recently cleaned a Win 94 that was made in '97-'98, that is, 1897 or 1898.  That took me over 13 hours of work and I know I could have cut the time in half had I access to an ultrasonic cleaner.  Mind you, they come out cleaner than they went in, but still need some elbow grease to get the parts entirely clean.  We did a lot of cleaning at school (Firearms Repair I and Repair II) since everything we serviced had to be cleaned first  The idea is for you to return a spotless firearm to the customer.
View Quote

Thats what I bought mine for too! I cleaned a 1894 that had been neglected for 70 or so years, came out great!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Thanks for the idea !

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck Harbor Freight !!!

They don't ship to Canada.

I want one of those cleaners real bad.

How bad?  Someone could surely buy one and ship it to you.  You've been here long enough to know we do stuff like that all the time.  

Thanks for the idea !

Or barter. You know...like a Diemaco upper or something

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fill it half full with water, then throw my parts in a cheap plastic container with cleaning solution....that way I dont get the actual ultrasonic all dirty. I let my plastic container be as neutrally bouyant as possible. Some say plastic impedes the sound waves, but my stuff came out perfectly clean.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
On sale at Harbor Freight... $69.00

Threw in a few gun parts with hot water and MPro7... turned on the heater for a bit then started it up... black cloud in the water just started coming out of EVERYWHERE ... parts were FILTHY!

Ran a second cycle and more came out.

If you don't have one, GET ONE.

You're welcome!!

Now, yes, this is also an invitation for those to tell me what a piece of shit it is and how I wasted my money... C'mon GD... don't let me down now.

Supporters welcome too
View Quote

I've had on for a few years, got HF one on sale for $39 years ago, still works great. The same one branded by Lyman is like $150.  I use the Hornady solution and distilled water ONLY. Recently built a stainless steel media tumbler for cheap that works much better for large batches of brass.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something with moving parts from Harbor Freight? It will probably shit itself after 3-5 uses.

And Hornady, I think...and yes, it shit itself after a dozen uses.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
add lemi shine, it will
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have  cleaned a lot of brass with it.

Does it work better than tumbling ?
add lemi shine, it will

This. I built a DIY tumbler using a Home Depot pail with gasket sealed lid, and a cheap drive system consisting of an old Subaru timing belt, PVC end cap, some scrap aluminum and my corded drill motor. Tumbles thousands of round clean in about twenty minutes. Stainless media is reusable and doesn't stick in primer pockets.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have thought about one.

My biggest question is what do you do with the solution once it gets all dirty?

Interesting.

With what? Just like a coffee filter?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#35]
if you ultra sonic clean gun parts I would highly recommend that you go back and by hand (in addition to a complete dip) and oil and captured spring or detent.

as the springs will not get enough oil and corrode over time....
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#36]
My buddy is a watchmaker and he uses ultrasonics on watch parts all the time. All of his machines date to the 50's-60's.

ckmorley
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I thought I read somewhere about ultrasonic cleaning possibly causing damage through cavitation or something.

Looked briefly, I see aluminum mentioned as a bad idea due to hydrogen embrittlement. I know about hydrogen embrittlment in steel during electrophoretic rust removal so Idk if steel is susceptible as well. Paging experts.
View Quote

I've personally not seen any issue with aluminum in the ultrasonic but simple green and aluminum is a bad combo, and will lead to hydrogen embrittlement.

We clean the heck out of aircraft parts in a big tank with 3 sonic generators.

ETA- Wanted to clarify that I meant regular simple green, and not the Aircraft version that OhioLongRange & EBR666 linked
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My harbor freight is so deep in the ghetto Ithat I don't even think about what I would buy unless I'm carrying an AR.
View Quote

This.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thats what I bought mine for too! I cleaned a 1894 that had been neglected for 70 or so years, came out great!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the '94 you work on have the L/R cartridge guides that were secured by an internal screw?  You need an offset screwdriver to remove one.  The newer ones have an external screw and regular screwdrivers will do the job.

Not having a vise, I couldn't remove the magazine tube and forearm.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I throw my pistol barrels in my ultrasonic cleaner after range trips. I use distiller water and nothing else.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I thought I read somewhere about ultrasonic cleaning possibly causing damage through cavitation or something.

Looked briefly, I see aluminum mentioned as a bad idea due to hydrogen embrittlement. I know about hydrogen embrittlment in steel during electrophoretic rust removal so Idk if steel is susceptible as well. Paging experts.
View Quote

I have these questions, as well.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Did the '94 you work on have the L/R cartridge guides that were secured by an internal screw?  You need an offset screwdriver to remove one.  The newer ones have an external screw and regular screwdrivers will do the job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, internal guides...the only part I didnt break down. I dont remember how...but I know I removed the tube and forearm.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yep, internal guides...the only part I didnt break down. I dont remember how...but I know I removed the tube and forearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tube & forearm are easy. Remove the magazine cap screw and mag cap. Remove spring & follower.   Put receiver upside down in the vise (be sure the bolt supports the receiver and the best spot to clamp it in is where the barrel is threaded to the receiver).   Insert punch into hole that was vacated by the mag cap screw.  Rotate it clockwise.  This allows you to withdraw the tube.  Then remove the foreend screws for the foreend and slide the foreend cap foward.  This allows for the foreend to be removed.

I'm going to have to make an offset screwdriver.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I fill it half full with water, then throw my parts in a cheap plastic container with cleaning solution....that way I dont get the actual ultrasonic all dirty. I let my plastic container be as neutrally bouyant as possible. Some say plastic impedes the sound waves, but my stuff came out perfectly clean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool thanks.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top