Quoted:
Don't puss out. Be safe. Have fun. ETA:
View Quote

How do people puss out? Honest question
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

THeres no better time then the present.  All you need is a holster, mag holders, pistol chambered in 9mm or larger, 4 mags, and ears/eyes.  From there, just show up with 250 rds, and do your best.  You will find the majority of all shooters are very helpful and will answer any questions you have.  Whenver I see a new guy, I remember how it was when I was new, and do my best to offere any help I can.  

So get out there and have some fun.  But I will warn you, its an extremely addictive hobby.  After shooting a Glock for the season, I just recently bought a $4k limited pistol and another $1k of magazines.  I spend about $4k on ammo a year (all reloads) and spend a decent amount in travelling around.  All to shoot paper and steel.    But its damn fun.  

And I will say this, with a Glock 35, I was damn competitive, so don't think you need a high dollar pistol to win.  I have many top 5 finishes in limited class running a modified G35.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
looking to get into these events too. Good luck!

THeres no better time then the present.  All you need is a holster, mag holders, pistol chambered in 9mm or larger, 4 mags, and ears/eyes.  From there, just show up with 250 rds, and do your best.  You will find the majority of all shooters are very helpful and will answer any questions you have.  Whenver I see a new guy, I remember how it was when I was new, and do my best to offere any help I can.  

So get out there and have some fun.  But I will warn you, its an extremely addictive hobby.  After shooting a Glock for the season, I just recently bought a $4k limited pistol and another $1k of magazines.  I spend about $4k on ammo a year (all reloads) and spend a decent amount in travelling around.  All to shoot paper and steel.    But its damn fun.  

And I will say this, with a Glock 35, I was damn competitive, so don't think you need a high dollar pistol to win.  I have many top 5 finishes in limited class running a modified G35.

$1000 in magazines alone???

And I'll be shooting a Glock 19, so I don't expect to be super competitive.

I turn 21 this Sunday, so I'm just trying to get as proficient as I can with my future carry gun, and competition seems like a good way to accomplish that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Listen to the RO, shoot safely, don't worry about going fast (that will come in time), and Have Fun!

Vulcan94  (C-class Limited)
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your muzzle is not allowed to cross any part of an imaginary line line running across your shoulders, at least not when I shot it. To prevent this from happening, you step forward, draw, and step back. It sounds more complicated than it is. In reality, they'll show you how to do it and after a couple of practices, you'll be fine.

The rule exists to prevent the shooter from crossing the crowd with his muzzle when he draws.
View Quote

I don't know about IPSC but there's nothing like that in USPSA.    Are you messing with him or just full of crap?

If the OP is shooting Production he's limited to a more or less "normal" strong side holster with no or minimal cant which can be drawn from without sweeping himself or anyone else or breaking the 180 degree boundary.  That's all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I turn 21 this Sunday, so I'm just trying to get as proficient as I can with my future carry gun, and competition seems like a good way to accomplish that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you stick with it, you can be very competitive in production division with your glock.  Just remember, only 10 rds in your magazine for production division.  

Have fun man, its a great game, and will drastically improve your pistol handling.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That was a joke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are not going to win.

You are going to go too fast at first.

Take a breath, slow down and have fun.

You first event is for fun and to get exposure to the sport.

Have fun.

I'm expecting to have the fastest time and most misses.

Not really, but I do have a habit of shooting faster than I should and not focusing on my front sight. I'm hoping that will come with experience.

You're about to get a reality check if you think you're going to be fast as a new shooter at a USPSA event.

That was a joke.

Amazing.

The guy's been here since '01 and doesn't even have a properly adjusted sarcasm meter.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't show up with a loaded gun or pull your gun out of the case anywhere but the safe table.  

Don't pull your gun out of the holster until you are given the make ready command

Don't put ammo on the safe table.

Shoot for accuracy not speed

Always be aware where your muzzle is pointed an where you finger is during movement and reloads
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By not getting off the couch and driving to the match.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd highly recommend shooting "Limited", where you can load your mags to capacity, not the 10 round production BS. It'll be easier to shoot and more fun with less frustration.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Start out slow.  Don't try to keep up with the guys who fly through a stage in a shower of brass.   Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. I don't think I'll have that problem. I've been waiting a while to finally get started in this.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd highly recommend shooting "Limited", where you can load your mags to capacity, not the 10 round production BS. It'll be easier to shoot and more fun with less frustration.
View Quote

I agree, Production was started so women and people that made poor life decisions had a place to shoot
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Based on shooting on a squad with 5 USPSA guys at Rockcastle . I would say whine a lot, shoot loads so light in 9mm that steel will not fall . If anything happens that is not 100% in your favor ask for a reshoot .  

Seriously , stay in the lines and put shots at every target , hit everything , take extra ammo ,
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even with shooting a 19? I was thinking the 10rd rule would just teach me how to do quick mag changes more efficiently.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you stick with it, you can be very competitive in production division with your glock.  Just remember, only 10 rds in your magazine for production division.  

Have fun man, its a great game, and will drastically improve your pistol handling.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Copy that. I look forward to it!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I agree, Production was started so women and people that made poor life decisions had a place to shoot
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

trollolol
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Your muzzle is not allowed to cross any part of an imaginary line line running across your shoulders, at least not when I shot it. To prevent this from happening, you step forward, draw, and step back. It sounds more complicated than it is. In reality, they'll show you how to do it and after a couple of practices, you'll be fine.

The rule exists to prevent the shooter from crossing the crowd with his muzzle when he draws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell them you're a newb and look for someone to walk you through the scenarios and explain what they're trying to plan.

Range safety is no shit. You're about to learn the IPSC draw. If you don't already know how to do it, tell them and they'll get someone to show you how to draw so that you don't get DQ'd.

If you get DQ's: oops. Remember what you did wrong and move on.

Almost all of the people are there to have fun. They're generally glad to work with an inexperienced shooter. By inexperienced, I mean inexperienced in their game. You'll find a few people who will be happy to show you how it's done.

Most important: Have fun.

How is an IPSC draw different than a "regular" draw? Normally I just pull straight up and push out. Is that kosher?

You put your right foot in, put your right foot out, put your right foot in and you shake it all about,
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Gotcha. I don't think I'll have that problem. I've been waiting a while to finally get started in this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you. Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do. I'll update tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Even with shooting a 19? I was thinking the 10rd rule would just teach me how to do quick mag changes more efficiently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either way works.  I started shooting a Ruger 9mm P94 in Production then used it in Limited just for the sake of filling the mags up.  Now I'm using an M&P 9 FS in Limited.  I know shooting minor hurts my score but would rather be able to run my mags at full cap (just like real life) and if I hit A's then the PF doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Well there are a lot of people here trying to be funny but some good advice too.

Concentrate on the basics.

• A smooth draw: grab the gun, pull it out, point it toward the target and take deliberate aim at the target, Four separate movements. Don't try to do it all in one.

• Be aware of your muzzle. Keep it pointed down range at all times.

• Be aware of your feet at all times. You'll be moving with a loaded gun. Don't trip over anything.

• AIM. It sounds simple and it probably will be the first time. It's when you go try to go too fast that you don't take time to properly aim.

• AIM. You cannot miss fast enough to win

• A smooth reload. It should be separate steps: press the mag release, strip the old mag, grab a loaded one, insert it into the mag well, slam it into place, drop the slide if needed. It may look like one automatic all in one motion to someone watching. But to you it should be separate deliberate individual movements. It's when you try to go to fast that you will screw it up.

• Walk the stage and make a plan.  Keep the plan simple.

• Something like shoot all targets left to right.

• Not shoot those two then that one then reload and take 3 steps to the left and shoot the two on the left and one of the far right etc.

• If you make it too hard you'll forget everything as soon as you hear the beep.

• Get to know the other shooters. This is both a shooting event and a social event.  Have fun and talk to people.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:31:18 AM EDT
[#24]

slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

look,listen and dont be afraid to ask questions,no such thing as a dumb question.

try to relax and have fun
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:36:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

look,listen and dont be afraid to ask questions,no such thing as a dumb question.
try to relax and have fun

http://snd1.splashpress1.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/double_facepalm.jpg

What? A fast miss hurts you more than a slow hit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:47:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Relax, be safe , have fun.

Get ready to spend $$$$
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Get Paul Hendrix as your RO and make friends with him.
View Quote

Is he at ORSA?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wear a long sleeve shirt under a short sleeve shirt
View Quote

Why is that? It's too late anyways but just wondering.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Be safe, don't rush, set targets, ask questions, good luck!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Wear a tight shirt with lots of logos.

Relax, have fun, and make sure you tape targets you noob.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wear a long sleeve shirt under a short sleeve shirt

It seems to be a common way of dressing in the hot weather especially among pinoy shooters.

Paul Hendrix was a shitbag range officer that changed shooters times, adding time for people he didn't like and reducing time for his friends.  He screwed over a lot of shooters and was kicked out of uspsa
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Don't forget you will need a bowling shirt . You can get one at any bowling alley . a cheap substitute is a NASCAR crew shirt . be sure and thank all of the people on your shirt in every conversation
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#37]
There are plenty of videos on Youtube of USPSA and IPSC shooters shooting. Learn how to be efficient as possible in your movement while making good hits on paper and steel. Eric Grauffel, Ben Stoeger, Bob Vogel, Matt Mink, Nils Jonasson, and Rob Leatham are just a few you should look for....

Studying the stage and getting your game plan hammered down during the walk through are essential. Rehearse it in your mind several times after walking the stage as many times as possible. Get your hits, don't rush it, but don't waste time on super hard/ distant targets.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Dont tape until the target is scored.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Just finished my second stage. All alphas so far, and I haven't broken the 180 yet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just finished my second stage. All alphas so far, and I haven't broken the 180 yet.
View Quote

AWESOME!!!!!!!!  

Welcome to your new addiction.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Congrats.

You having fun?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats.

You having fun?

Oh yeah, lots of fun! The perfect alpha streak has been broken by some charlies and *gasp* a mike. I thought I was going to be in over my head, but it's actually not too bad. About to start stage 5, which is like an el presidente drill.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm jumping into the USPSA world tomorrow morning bright and early. I've never done any organized shooting events before, so this will be a learning experience. Does GD have any nuggets of wisdom to a new guy?
View Quote

Go have fun. Don't worry about performance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Worry about getting your alphas first, then worry about being fast while getting your alphas.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Get Paul Hendrix as your RO and make friends with him.
View Quote

+2 for that, smartass.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Just got home from my own USPSA match.  

Best ever overall finish plus best ever classifier score, so I'm pretty high on life right now.  

I love that there seems to be more interest in USPSA among Arfcommers.  Everyone should give it a try!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just got home from my own USPSA match.  

Best ever overall finish plus best ever classifier score, so I'm pretty high on life right now.  

I love that there seems to be more interest in USPSA among Arfcommers.  Everyone should give it a try!  
View Quote

Congrats on your d class win!
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top