Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Outfuckingstanding!!! Kudos to SSGT Gilliland and the rest of the Shadow Snipers.

RIP SSGT Benford.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Great Shot!!

Want to see some impressive results? Check this hit-list
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]
3ID,  3rd Brigade, 2nd Bn, 69 Armor Regiment.

When the US has enemies that absolutley positively need to be killed, they send the 3ID.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Hey man, nice shot"

great song

It's even better becaue it was written about Kurt Kobain.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"I believe it is the longest confirmed kill in Iraq with a 7.62mm rifle," said Staff Sgt Gilliland, 28, who hunted squirrels in Double Springs, Alabama from the age of five before progressing to deer - and then people.

WTF is that about.

An amateuristic attempt at villifying all hunters.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Same article with additional pictures. Sorry no blood/gore
Notice on the first picture two M-24, one with a night sight  One individual is wearing glasses? I thought you had to have 20/20 vision?

Toby H
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Gotta love M24s

The new XM110 couldn't match that
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Same article with additional pictures. Sorry no blood/gore
Notice on the first picture two M-24, one with a night sight  One individual is wearing glasses? I thought you had to have 20/20 vision?

Toby H

That is an AN/PVS-10 day/night scope.  Vision only needs to be CORRECTABLE to 20/20.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I think these guys get the award for "Best Dinner Pic"

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Gotta love M24s

The new XM110 couldn't match that

Yes, they can.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Hey man, nice shot"

great song

I thought it was written about Bud Dwyer, the guy who .357 Mag'd himself in the head live on TV back in the '80s?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#12]
What ammo do our guys use in their M24's?

Is it just plain jane standard issue .308?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What ammo do our guys use in their M24's?

Is it just plain jane standard issue .308?

You would be surprised at how often they do use M80

However, given the range, more likely M118LR Match BTHP...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Hey man, nice shot"

great song

I thought it was written about Bud Dwyer, the guy who .357 Mag'd himself in the head live on TV back in the '80s?

That it is...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:59:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"Hey man, nice shot"

heh, "filter" fan, huh? i'm listening to it as a speak...well, type.

eh, you wanna impress me? bank the round off a car or wall or something! maybe a car AND a wall, THAT would be impressive!

yeah, that is the ultimate dinner pic!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
3ID,  3rd Brigade, 2nd Bn, 69 Armor Regiment.

When the US has enemies that absolutley positively need to be killed, they send the 3ID.

The title of the thread should be changed to reflect that it was a US ARMY sniper that made the kill.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:04:23 AM EDT
[#17]
That's nothing. I met a guy a couple of weeks ago that said he was "special forces in Viet Nam" and was "making regular kills out to 3000 meters" using a "Zeiss fifty ten" rifle scope.

Story here

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#18]
They just keep getting better!

Outstanding.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:21:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Have you seen the video made by the Iraq sniper? I'd say they have one, but his dirty ass is probably dead already.

Any soldier will tell you that there are a lot of Dragunov rifles over there, but the insurgents are not able to field a true sniper like the US is. Our guys are the most highly trained snipers in the world and in Iraq they are getting combat experience that makes them better with every pull of the trigger.

The insurgents are largely untrained and are comparitively unorganized. Their equipment isn't as good and their skills are no match for a trained Army, Marine or NSWG sniper.

The insurgent approach to snipers is a lot like the Russian approach was. They didn't spend a lot of time or effort training snipers, but sent lots and lots of people out with scoped rifles and sought to create the desired effect through quantity rather than quality.

Not always.  There have been reports of trained Chechen snipers that have been recruited to shoot our guys.  These snipers are combat proven and shoot very well.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#20]

That is a hell of a shot.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Anybody know what happened to the Iraqi sniper known as "JUBA" ???

Did we kill that fucker yet ?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#22]
At work we have the drawer with the large brown envelopes labeled "Bud Dwyer Commemorative Holsters".  By the way that is a good song!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Hey man, nice shot"

great song

That it is...

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#23]
There are a few insurgent snipers in Iraq. The one that shot my friend had shot at least five other Americans before he was taken out. The sniper was Chechnyan (spelling sucks) and was using a Dragonav. My friend was with the 1st Marine for two years in country, was shot through the helmet, the round grazed the top of his scalp, but he lived and is doing fine now. He said the Chechnyan that shot him was over 400 meters out but shot only when my friend had just the top of his helmet exposed over a wall. So basically this insurgent sniper shot at a 3" target area (just the top of his helmet being exposed) at 400 meters and dropped my buddy. Had the round been a quarter inch deeper my buddy would never have come home alive. They let him keep his helmet which has a small hole in front (rare because normally they would send it in for testing) and larger hole in back, litterally the round went through the air pocket area above my friend's head inside the helmet, only grazing him, he did get about 25 staples, has some nasty headaches but he is alive to talk about it thank God.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
There are a few insurgent snipers in Iraq. The one that shot my friend had shot at least five other Americans before he was taken out. The sniper was Chechnyan (spelling sucks) and was using a Dragonav. My friend was with the 1st Marine for two years in country, was shot through the helmet, the round grazed the top of his scalp, but he lived and is doing fine now. He said the Chechnyan that shot him was over 400 meters out but shot only when my friend had just the top of his helmet exposed over a wall. So basically this insurgent sniper shot at a 3" target area (just the top of his helmet being exposed) at 400 meters and dropped my buddy. Had the round been a quarter inch deeper my buddy would never have come home alive. They let him keep his helmet which has a small hole in front (rare because normally they would send it in for testing) and larger hole in back, litterally the round went through the air pocket area above my friend's head inside the helmet, only grazing him, he did get about 25 staples, has some nasty headaches but he is alive to talk about it thank God.

Whoa! Glad you buddy's okay. Cool that he got to keep the helmet.

And you're right about not underestimating the enemies abilities. That'll get you killed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Have you seen the video made by the Iraq sniper? I'd say they have one, but his dirty ass is probably dead already.

Any soldier will tell you that there are a lot of Dragunov rifles over there, but the insurgents are not able to field a true sniper like the US is. Our guys are the most highly trained snipers in the world and in Iraq they are getting combat experience that makes them better with every pull of the trigger.

The insurgents are largely untrained and are comparitively unorganized. Their equipment isn't as good and their skills are no match for a trained Army, Marine or NSWG sniper.

The insurgent approach to snipers is a lot like the Russian approach was. They didn't spend a lot of time or effort training snipers, but sent lots and lots of people out with scoped rifles and sought to create the desired effect through quantity rather than quality.

This is mostly true but however, tell that to the guys up north a little that were hit in the turrets gunning their Humvees on patrol when they were shot/killed.
He shot 3-4 of them, doing 35mph+ in the armored Crow's Nest turret.

They even sent counter-sniper teams in to take care of him and they couldnt do get rid of him.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top