BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So since every gonvernment in the region is "filthy corrupt"  why do you want one of the "filthy corrupt" governments operating our ports and interfacing with security?

because even though they are corrupt, they atleast are on our side.

"Yeah, and Hitler told the Jews to leave Germany before he started gassing them: noone wanted them. Same with the philistines/palestinians...."  Premedgunner

So, those Jews deserved to be gassed eh?  If only they'd have left.....

they definitely didn't deserve it; I wasn't the one saying that the Palestinians deserve what they get due in part to them not leaving Israeli territory.

The above comment tells me all I need to know about you.  The Pals that stayed behind in Israel obtained full Israeli citizenship-the Jews that stayed behind in Germany.....well you know quite well what happened.

Yeah, full citizenship rights, such as:

1) Restriction from voting booths in Jewish areas of towns, even if the nearest Arab voting booth is too far away to reach by foot.

2) Restriction of housing permits. When a palestinian has to not only buy the land at an astronomical price, but also has to buy a building permit that costs more than the land, then still has to buy building supplies and build the house himself, while a Jew merely has to go buy a premade house from a housing developer for less than the Palestinian spends on the land alone, I guess that is equality... in an apartheid South Africa kind of way.

3) Checkpoint clearances. Jesus, when you need to get a "day pass" to walk 30 feet to the grocery store, and you have curfews after sundown, and you are not allowed to leave  the Palestinian districts... I guess that is what we call a "right of citizenship", "second class citizenship" that is.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"No they are not under Shari`a law, well not anywhere close to what you think(they do have some elements of Shari`a law, just like we have some elements of Judeo-Christian law)......"

Well are they under Shari law are not?  You draw a moral equivilency between Shari law and some elements of Judeo-Christianity?

Just because you can do all those things you mentioned in Dubai (you can do nefarious things in Vegas that you can't do in Waterloo Iowa) doesn't mean the populace accepts it.

Seriously, do a search under UAE Laws. The civil side is under Sharia law, then there is a seperate criminal side. They are no where near Saudi or Iran when it comes to human rights.

They're close enough for me.  If they'e such lovers of human rights, why do they hate Jews so bad when they don't even border Israel?  

I hate Jews for being hypocrites; they bitch about what the Germans did to them, then they round up Palestineans like cattle and put them into ghettos.
Arabs don't get my sympathy any more than a spoiled child would.

That made me laugh.  
Thank you

I got a laugh out of it too-at him, not with him.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seem to have the standard AR15.com misinterpretation of Shari`a as it is actually written, not how it is enforced by backwards bedouin tribes.

Blame Canada!

www.cbc.ca/news/background/islam/shariah-law.html

some of that stuff is pretty good:

They argued that women fare far worse in divorce, child custody and inheritance matters under Shariah law. For instance, a woman can only inherit half as much as a man can.

Good point, in a modern society, they should be paid equal amounts... if the parent willed it that way.

If a divorced woman remarries, custody of the children from her previous marriage may revert to the children's father.

And that is worse than automatically defaulting custody to the mother, like we do in the US and Canada, somehow?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

ETA: better watch out, I will be called an 88 for hating on the Israelis. I like Jews, but the Israelis can go fuck themselves silly with their dradles(sic).

Yep.  The is strong in this one.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here are the questions that you "let's turn our ports over to the arabs" folks need to answer:

1. Will people within this company have access to security information pertaining to procedures, practices and operations of US ports?

2. Is it possible that there are employees of this corporation who are sympathetic to our enemy's cause?

3. Is it possible that this company could become infiltrated by agents of our enemy who seek to harm us?

I don't find it to be implausible at all that once this company is controling our ports that an enemy agent or someone sympathetic to the enemies cause who is working for this company could arrange to have something (perhaps one of Saddam's missing WMD's, or even more terrorists themselves) shipped into this country in a cargo container. All it takes is one fuck up and giving this company ANY level of involvement with our ports increases that risk.

Answers:
1) Only those security practices relevant to operation of their terminal, and nothing secret. Thats according to a Coast Guard commander spokesman on the Tony Snow Show this AM.

2) Doubtful.  Considering all US employees are Americans or Brits, and have passed background checks.

3) Doubtful, no more likely than any other company. There hasn't been any problem at the US Navy's Dubai port, which is run by DPW.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: better watch out, I will be called an 88 for hating on the Israelis. I like Jews, but the Israelis can go fuck themselves silly with their dradles(sic).

reasons? You know, besides the fact that I hate Israel(along with Saudi Arabia, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, and a few others)?

I don't believe in a zionist conspiracy.
I don't believe that Jews are sub-human.
I don't believe that Jews are going to hell for killing Jesus, or going to hell at all for that matter.
I believe that Jews and Muslims should unite among their similarities against Christianity.
I believe that Jews are monotheists and people of the book, and thus are safe when it comes to the day of judgment.
I believe that the Jews are a strong people who have fought oppression during most of their history with extreme vigor and non-violent means. An honorable quality amidst groups of people who would have violently rebelled.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So since every gonvernment in the region is "filthy corrupt"  why do you want one of the "filthy corrupt" governments operating our ports and interfacing with security?

because even though they are corrupt, they atleast are on our side.

"Yeah, and Hitler told the Jews to leave Germany before he started gassing them: noone wanted them. Same with the philistines/palestinians...."  Premedgunner

So, those Jews deserved to be gassed eh?  If only they'd have left.....

they definitely didn't deserve it; I wasn't the one saying that the Palestinians deserve what they get due in part to them not leaving Israeli territory.

The above comment tells me all I need to know about you.  The Pals that stayed behind in Israel obtained full Israeli citizenship-the Jews that stayed behind in Germany.....well you know quite well what happened.

Yeah, full citizenship rights, such as:

1) Restriction from voting booths in Jewish areas of towns, even if the nearest Arab voting booth is too far away to reach by foot.

2) Restriction of housing permits. When a palestinian has to not only buy the land at an astronomical price, but also has to buy a building permit that costs more than the land, then still has to buy building supplies and build the house himself, while a Jew merely has to go buy a premade house from a housing developer for less than the Palestinian spends on the land alone, I guess that is equality... in an apartheid South Africa kind of way.

3) Checkpoint clearances. Jesus, when you need to get a "day pass" to walk 30 feet to the grocery store, and you have curfews after sundown, and you are not allowed to leave  the Palestinian districts... I guess that is what we call a "right of citizenship", "second class citizenship" that is.

"because even though they are corrupt, they atleast are on our side..."  PMD

So you admit they're corrupt-why can't they be corrupted  by Al Queada to bribe some longshoreman into bring a nuclear bomb through one of our ports after they've studied our security system?    

You don't think the WOT is real, you said as much in an earlier post when you minimized your chance of being a victim of a terrorist attack....you don't have to be at ground zero to suffer personally if our country's attacked again.

Another attack could easily send us spiraling into a recession, or worse a depression, which would flatten 3rd world economies.
Don't you see what's going on all over the Muslim world, from Pakistan to UAE?  Do you really think if the whip comes down, UAE, Kuwait or anybody else is gonna side with the "Great Satan?"

Don't you believe that as the UAE hates the Jew, they must also hate the Christian Infidel?

I don't know where you're getting your information on the plight of Palestinian Israeli citizens, considering some of them sit on the Israeli parliment.  Please don't respond by cutting and pasting off some whack job web site, I ain't buying it.

I fully admit I don't know what everyday life is in Israel for the Palestinian citizen, but I do know that Israel didn't fly airplanes into buildings on 9-11, that Israel didn't cheer the attack as did your Palestinian friends in the West Bank.
I do know that your Pali pals accept $25,000 for the great deed of sending their children off to blow up innocents, and again if that ain't savage it'll do till savage comes around.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here are the questions that you "let's turn our ports over to the arabs" folks need to answer:

1. Will people within this company have access to security information pertaining to procedures, practices and operations of US ports?

2. Is it possible that there are employees of this corporation who are sympathetic to our enemy's cause?

3. Is it possible that this company could become infiltrated by agents of our enemy who seek to harm us?

I don't find it to be implausible at all that once this company is controling our ports that an enemy agent or someone sympathetic to the enemies cause who is working for this company could arrange to have something (perhaps one of Saddam's missing WMD's, or even more terrorists themselves) shipped into this country in a cargo container. All it takes is one fuck up and giving this company ANY level of involvement with our ports increases that risk.

Answers:
1) Only those security practices relevant to operation of their terminal, and nothing secret. Thats according to a Coast Guard commander spokesman on the Tony Snow Show this AM.

2) Doubtful.  Considering all US employees are Americans or Brits, and have passed background checks.

3) Doubtful, no more likely than any other company. There hasn't been any problem at the US Navy's Dubai port, which is run by DPW.

Yup, we're doing such a great  job with the southern border, only a fool wouldn't trust Bush to protect the ports.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

reasons? You know, besides the fact that I hate Israel(along with Saudi Arabia, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, and a few others)?

I don't believe that Jews are going to hell for killing Jesus, or going to hell at all for that matter.
I believe that Jews and Muslims should unite among their similarities against Christianity.
I believe that Jews are monotheists and people of the book, and thus are safe when it comes to the day of judgment.
I believe that the Jews are a strong people who have fought oppression during most of their history with extreme vigor and non-violent means. An honorable quality amidst groups of people who would have violently rebelled.

"I believe that Jews and Muslims should unite among their similarities against Christianity.."PreMedGunner

WTF is that supposed to mean??????
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you admit they're corrupt-why can't they be corrupted  by Al Queada to bribe some longshoreman into bring a nuclear bomb through one of our ports after they've studied our security system?    

Why not just deliver said bomb to Mexico or Canada and drive it over the open border?

ANdy

exactly what I was saying... or even better:

BUILD THE FUCKING BOMB HERE!

It isn't that hard to build a uranium gun design bomb provided you merely have the materials necessary.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I believe that Jews and Muslims should unite among their similarities against Christianity.."PreMedGunner

Monotheists vs. Polytheists; like vs. dislike ; same vs. different.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not just deliver said bomb to Mexico or Canada and drive it over the open border?

ANdy

Or just put it in a container. The Washington Post published in 2004 that less than 5% of the containers were searched. Those are pretty good odds.

Unless, of course, there is something more to port security than just screening containers and security procedures at the ports. Like the Container Screening Program which seeks to screen containers overseas. Now how vulnerable are our procedures in overseas ports?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once again you provide me with laughter. I do wish we could laugh together not just me at you.
Thank you

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ANdy

Or just put it in a container. The Washington Post published in 2004 that less than 5% of the containers were searched. Those are pretty good odds.

Unless, of course, there is something more to port security than just screening containers and security procedures at the ports. Like the Container Screening Program which seeks to screen containers overseas. Now how vulnerable are our procedures in overseas ports?

So far in this thread, the pro UAE pundits have admitted that UAE is corrupt, yet somehow they can't be corrupted by Al Queada.

The pro UAE crowd also admits that there's an influence of Sharia law in the UAE, but we're supposed to believe it's "Sharia lite."

Oh and the ports are safe because the enemy can just bring a dirty bomb across the border!

Finally, although the UAE hates Jews with all the fervor of their  Muslim brethren, they disagree with the rest of the Muslim world when it comes to hating and defeating the Christian Infidel!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once again you provide me with laughter. I do wish we could laugh together not just me at you.
Thank you

I am getting a good laugh out of laughing at you for actually thinking that Jews and Christians have really anything at all in common between their religions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you

I am getting a good laugh out of laughing at you for actually thinking that Jews and Christians have really anything at all in common between their religions.

What do we have in common with the adherents of Mohammed the Pedophile?  And why should we turn our port operations over to them?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No your little ditty means you think Muslims and Jews should unite against Christians.  You're pathetic.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So far in this thread, the pro UAE pundits have admitted that UAE is corrupt, yet somehow they can't be corrupted by Al Queada.

Just about any company out there can have an AQ sleeper agent in it. What exactly is your point? In fact, money talks, BS walks can apply here as well, and does frequently.

The pro UAE crowd also admits that there's an influence of Sharia law in the UAE, but we're supposed to believe it's "Sharia lite."

Just as there is an influence of Christian law in the US. Not to the extent it is over there. However, you cannot equate Saudi and Iran to the UAE, Qatar, and Bahrain and probably Oman. They are very liberal in their application of Sharia law. That's why Bahrain and the UAE are big resort countries. Because they allow more western influences in their country.

You never did answer the question about what your experience with the ME is.

Oh and the ports are safe because the enemy can just bring a dirty bomb across the border!

Total mischaracterization of the statement. The ports are not as secure as we would like them, but then again, the world is not perfect.

Hang in here because it requires thought and I know you prefer knee-jerk reactions. In order for the ports to be 100% secure we would have to inspect everything that comes into our ports. I don't know where you live, but when you get a chance check out your nearest port. It pales in comparison to NY, NJ, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, etc. They are huge. Thousands of containers per day. The only way to inspect them all is not to import as much. What would that do to our economy?

Think about this as well, the CSP pre-screens containers in other ports. In fact, Dubai is a supporter of the CSP. This is important because any anti-terrorism measure that relies solely on security at the final point will fail. If you're a history buff, the Big Blue Blanket theory applied by the USN to the Kamakazee attacks applies here. You layer your security.

Now, let's think a little harder. There are how many stevador companies in US ports? How many port management companies? How many shipping companies that pick up and drop off cargo in trucks? How many ships with how many sailors observing everything that goes on in our ports ever day?

Have you ever read Sun-Tzu? The enemy will flow like water to our weakest point. In this case, even if, at the expense of our economy, we shored up the ports to 100% security, the enemy will find another weak point. In this case our borders are our biggest problem. Further, I'd say our border with Canada is the biggest of the border problems.

The simple fact of the matter is this change of ownership will change nothing, ie zero, nada, nill, when it comes to security in our ports.

Finally, although the UAE hates Jews with all the fervor of their  Muslim brethren, they disagree with the rest of the Muslim world when it comes to hating and defeating the Christian Infidel!

Egypt recognizes Israel. IIRC the chief operations officer of AQ is an Egyptian doctor. Weren't some of the hijackers Egyptian?

Finally, your characterizations of all Muslims and/or all Arabs is ignorant. Turkey is a Muslim nation. The Kurds are Muslim. There are arabs who are, wait for it, Christian. When you lump all these people in with radical extremists you show yourself to be incapable or unwilling to differentiate. That is either out of ignorance or out of malice. You choose.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Visit these links, they REALLY might surprise you....

www.uaeinteract.com/news/default.asp?cntDisplay=10&ID=178

www.indexuae.com/Top/Religion/Christianity

State sponsered UAE website?  OK, call me cynical, but I wouldn't give that crap any credibility whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

State sponsered UAE website?  OK, call me cynical, but I wouldn't give that crap any credibility whatsoever.

Yep a state-sponsered website that is promoting what they are doing for Christianity in the UAE. That makes them a target for radical groups like AQ. So why promote it at all if AQ had infiltrated the UAE .gov?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I hate Jews ...

Color me unsurprised.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just about any company out there can have an AQ sleeper agent in it. What exactly is your point? In fact, money talks, BS walks can apply here as well, and does frequently.

Just as there is an influence of Christian law in the US. Not to the extent it is over there. However, you cannot equate Saudi and Iran to the UAE, Qatar, and Bahrain and probably Oman. They are very liberal in their application of Sharia law. That's why Bahrain and the UAE are big resort countries. Because they allow more western influences in their country.

You never did answer the question about what your experience with the ME is.

Total mischaracterization of the statement. The ports are not as secure as we would like them, but then again, the world is not perfect.

Hang in here because it requires thought and I know you prefer knee-jerk reactions. In order for the ports to be 100% secure we would have to inspect everything that comes into our ports. I don't know where you live, but when you get a chance check out your nearest port. It pales in comparison to NY, NJ, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, etc. They are huge. Thousands of containers per day. The only way to inspect them all is not to import as much. What would that do to our economy?

Think about this as well, the CSP pre-screens containers in other ports. In fact, Dubai is a supporter of the CSP. This is important because any anti-terrorism measure that relies solely on security at the final point will fail. If you're a history buff, the Big Blue Blanket theory applied by the USN to the Kamakazee attacks applies here. You layer your security.

Now, let's think a little harder. There are how many stevador companies in US ports? How many port management companies? How many shipping companies that pick up and drop off cargo in trucks? How many ships with how many sailors observing everything that goes on in our ports ever day?

Have you ever read Sun-Tzu? The enemy will flow like water to our weakest point. In this case, even if, at the expense of our economy, we shored up the ports to 100% security, the enemy will find another weak point. In this case our borders are our biggest problem. Further, I'd say our border with Canada is the biggest of the border problems.

The simple fact of the matter is this change of ownership will change nothing, ie zero, nada, nill, when it comes to security in our ports.

Egypt recognizes Israel. IIRC the chief operations officer of AQ is an Egyptian doctor. Weren't some of the hijackers Egyptian?

Finally, your characterizations of all Muslims and/or all Arabs is ignorant. Turkey is a Muslim nation. The Kurds are Muslim. There are arabs who are, wait for it, Christian. When you lump all these people in with radical extremists you show yourself to be incapable or unwilling to differentiate. That is either out of ignorance or out of malice. You choose.

I just read your little powerpoint presentation, just a re-cycling of your basic premise that to disagree with this absurdity is "racist."

BTW since you keep asking, I've never been to the ME; I've never been to Detroit either, but I'm pretty sure it's the shithole that it's portrayed to be.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I just read your little powerpoint presentation, just a re-cycling of your basic premise that to disagree with this absurdity is "racist."

Wow there was a slideshow? When am I going to be informed of these things?

Again you refuse to address any facts and resort to rhetoric. Obviously, you are incapable of processing anything more complicated. So go feed at the information trough provided by the MSM.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep a state-sponsered website that is promoting what they are doing for Christianity in the UAE. That makes them a target for radical groups like AQ. So why promote it at all if AQ had infiltrated the UAE .gov?

Gee, I dunno, why won't UAE cooperate with the Treasury Department regarding all that laundered money?

Hey, were you for UNOCAL being sold to the Chinese Communist government?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:

As you go worship at the alter of Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and the Republican marionettes

I marvel at your racist accusations hurled at me, while you conviently overlook the blatant racism, misogyny and anti-Semitism of your UAE heros.
Maybe you're the racist in reality, you just expect less out of Muslim Arabs, so you overlook their shortcomings and hold Americans and Jews to a higher standard.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#30]
http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20060225-123057-1130r_page2.htm

Maryland Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., who initially voiced outrage over DPW's purchase, applauded the delay.
"For those that bother to learn the facts, the comfort level has increased," Mr. Ehrlich, a Republican, said while attending a summit in Linthicum, Md., on the pandemic flu threat.
"There was a lot more consideration [by federal agencies] than originally known," he said.

I saw where Republicans in Congress are expressing the same sentiment.

And of course, the best defense is a good offense, ie Big Blue Blanket theory:

From: http://www.heritage.org/Research/HomelandDefense/em980.cfm

Taking a Global Approach to Maritime Security
by Alane Kochems
Executive Memorandum #980
September 22, 2005

All too often, security analysts have warned of a doomsday scenario in which terrorists use a cargo container to smuggle a nuclear bomb into the United States and detonate it in a major port, causing death and destruction, paralyzing shipping and ports around the world, and causing billions of dollars in damages. This is, in fact, one of the least likely forms of terrorist attack, yet this scenario is being used to argue for wrongheaded security solutions that would yield minimal benefits while costing billions of dollars and hamstringing global commerce.

As a matter of common sense, the United States should not attempt to make every cargo container and port into a miniature Fort Knox. Securing trade requires a more comprehensive and effective approach than just putting up fences and gates, posting guards at ports, and inspecting all cargo containers as they enter the country. Efforts to protect trade should focus on improving security of the entire supply chain, not on creating isolated, easily bypassed chokepoints to address specific (and unlikely) threats. Strengthening existing programs could improve security and facilitate global commerce.

Some people need to educate themselves. This report was written well before the port deal. Outlines the supposed relations with Iran- they aren't friendly- women's rights- UAE is progressive for the ME- and how the UAE Central Bank has frozen terrorist accounts, all contrary to the popular views here.

Of course, that requires research and not feeding at the trough of the MSM.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

As you go worship at the alter of Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and the Republican marionettes

I marvel at your racist accusations hurled at me, while you conviently overlook the blatant racism, misogyny and anti-Semitism of your UAE heros.
Maybe you're the racist in reality, you just expect less out of Muslim Arabs, so you overlook their shortcomings and hold Americans and Jews to a higher standard.

Straight out of the talking points? I don't listen to Rush, I'm too busy working. Nor do I watch O'Reilly, can't stand the man.

Who said I overlooked the anti-Semitism? Are you saying we should not have relations with countries that do not recognize Israel? Or are you suggesting that because a country recognizes Israel they are less prone to have terrorists?

So far the extent of your argument is they are arabs and they are muslim so they threaten our security. How is that not racist?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Maryland Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., who initially voiced outrage over DPW's purchase, applauded the delay.
"For those that bother to learn the facts, the comfort level has increased," Mr. Ehrlich, a Republican, said while attending a summit in Linthicum, Md., on the pandemic flu threat.
"There was a lot more consideration [by federal agencies] than originally known," he said.

by Alane Kochems
September 22, 2005

All too often, security analysts have warned of a doomsday scenario in which terrorists use a cargo container to smuggle a nuclear bomb into the United States and detonate it in a major port, causing death and destruction, paralyzing shipping and ports around the world, and causing billions of dollars in damages. This is, in fact, one of the least likely forms of terrorist attack, yet this scenario is being used to argue for wrongheaded security solutions that would yield minimal benefits while costing billions of dollars and hamstringing global commerce.

As a matter of common sense, the United States should not attempt to make every cargo container and port into a miniature Fort Knox. Securing trade requires a more comprehensive and effective approach than just putting up fences and gates, posting guards at ports, and inspecting all cargo containers as they enter the country. Efforts to protect trade should focus on improving security of the entire supply chain, not on creating isolated, easily bypassed chokepoints to address specific (and unlikely) threats. Strengthening existing programs could improve security and facilitate global commerce.

Some people need to educate themselves. This report was written well before the port deal. Outlines the supposed relations with Iran- they aren't friendly- women's rights- UAE is progressive for the ME- and how the UAE Central Bank has frozen terrorist accounts, all contrary to the popular views here.

I'm tired of arguing with you, you put political correctness over national defense, and you'e a fucking RACIST, exhibiting the bigotry of lessor expectations of "those people" (muslim arabs).

Go into a chat with your jewhating pal PreMedgunner or whatever the fuck he calls himself.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

by Alane Kochems
September 22, 2005

I'm tired of arguing with you, you put political correctness over national defense, and you'e a fucking RACIST, exhibiting the bigotry of lessor expectations of "those people" (muslim arabs).

Go into a chat  room with your jewhating pal PreMedgunner or whatever the fuck he calls himself, leave issues of national security to those with some COMMON FUCKING SENSE.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Do me a favor first. Back up your allegations with anything I've said. The simple fact is you cannot.

Go into a chat with your jewhating pal PreMedgunner or whatever the fuck he calls himself.

Again, back up your allegations bucko.

Otherwise, shut your fucking pie hole.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Quoted:

No, all control of security remains in the hands of the US government.

WRONG !!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Go into a chat  room with your jewhating pal PreMedgunner or whatever the fuck he calls himself, leave issues of national security to those with some COMMON FUCKING SENSE.

The sad fact is you're not even arguing. You're just repeating the same lines over and over again, without anything to substantiate your position.

It's sad really.

Oh, btw, I'm heavily involved in matters of national security. You, from your ignorance on the subject, obviously are not.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

WRONG !!

He's right actually, the .gov sets the standards and inspects it. The company in question is compelled to comply and to execute certain procedures. If they do not comply the hammer comes down on them.

ETA: Facts on the Israel boycott. Not saying it is right or wrong, but here are some facts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do me a favor first. Back up your allegations with anything I've said. The simple fact is you cannot.

Again, back up your allegations bucko.

Otherwise, shut your fucking pie hole.

You take me to task for calling them the savages that they are, implying that I'm a racist while you ignore all their shortcomings, the most alarming being their hatred of the Jews.  That antiSemitism of theirs tells me they'e in lock-step with the thinking of the rest of those savages over there that kill each other over cartoons, send their babies out to blow themselves up and put embassys to the torch.

I've backed up my allegations all I need to a Republican shill like you, who pretends that the Republicans are against this. Are you too stupid to see that the Republicans are just running for political cover on this, that they wouldn't have denounced it had it not become public?  These are the same Rockefeller Repbulicans that don't give a flying fuck about the open border, why do they care if our ports are compromised by a theocratic muslim presence?

The Democrats don't care about this anymore than they care about the border either, they're just making political hay out of it because they can.
After this 45 day moratorium, they'll hook up behind closed doors and iron out some talking points, then assure the public that all security precautions have been considered, and the deal's safe.  And Republican puppets like you will buy it.  
Think about this, my partisan cyberpal, if there is an attack that's orgin is traced to the border or the ports under your beloved Republican administration, you're party's  dead as a frozen salmon for decades.  I've stated this elsewhere, but it bears repeating....the Dems'll say that the Republicans controlled the House, Senate, and Presidency, and it's their fault this happened.

GWB lies and says he knew notjhing about this until it became public-if you believe him, then you better ask yourself what the fuck else is going on he knows nothing about.   I personally have a problem with any president that tells blatant lies, be it about sex or national security, but thats just the kind of guy I am.

You better use your research fu to educate yourself on the connections between Treasury Secretary Snow and the UEA government, and you better consider Bob Dole's and other
Republican ties to the UAE.

This is just as bad as the Chinese Communist connections under the Clinton administration, maybe worse because the Chi Coms at least didn't attack us in our homeland and murder 3,000 of your countrymen.
Ask yourself why Bush is suddenly so tight with that discredited, impeached and disbarred Bill Clinton.  Are they birds of a feather, Clinton  sellls us out to China, Bush sells us out to the Theocratic Muslim Arabs?  They seem to have more commonality than differences these days.

I hope you're really not in national security, or if you are I certainly hope you don't hold a position of responsibility.  You sound like one of those PC types that would instruct your underlings to jack up Suzy Chapstick at the airport, while Achmed walks right on past, so you can't be accused of "racial profiling."

Notice in all my arguments here, I stick to a formula to describe the potential enemy-Theocratic Muslim Arabs.
Not muslims. Not Arabs.  Not just Jew haters.

I cite the combination, coupled with turning our fucking ports over to them, that makes me quite alarmed over this whole deal.

And if your head wasn't so firmly up your buttocks, you'd be alarmed too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

WRONG !!

Operations would have to work with security, thus compromising security.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
You take me to task for calling them the savages that they are, implying that I'm a racist while you ignore all their shortcomings, the most alarming being their hatred of the Jews.

Actually, I'm not ignoring that. You're ASSuming I am. If this deal goes through we get to leverage them through trade and through diplomacy. I'd guess trade-wise it would be used to circumvent the weak ban against Israel. It would also help in other areas like trafficking in persons, as I mentioned in another thread.

That antiSemitism of theirs tells me they'e in lock-step with the thinking of the rest of those savages over there that kill each other over cartoons, send their babies out to blow themselves up and put embassys to the torch.

Again broad generalizations. Not every arab, muslim or anti-Semite is involved in terrorism.

I've backed up my allegations all I need to a Republican shill like you, who pretends that the Republicans are against this. Are you too stupid to see that the Republicans are just running for political cover on this, that they wouldn't have denounced it had it not become public?  These are the same Rockefeller Repbulicans that don't give a flying fuck about the open border, why do they care if our ports are compromised by a theocratic muslim presence?

Again, your ignorance is showing. You're trying to paint a picture that the UAE is just like Iran. It is not.

The Democrats don't care about this anymore than they care about the border either, they're just making political hay out of it because they can.
After this 45 day moratorium, they'll hook up behind closed doors and iron out some talking points, then assure the public that all security precautions have been considered, and the deal's safe.  And Republican puppets like you will buy it.  

You're right in that they are making political hay out of this. On that we agree. However, the reason they are making political hay is because there is no substance to it.

Think about this, my partisan cyberpal, if there is an attack that's orgin is traced to the border or the ports under your beloved Republican administration, you're party's  dead as a frozen salmon for decades.  I've stated this elsewhere, but it bears repeating....the Dems'll say that the Republicans controlled the House, Senate, and Presidency, and it's their fault this happened.

Considering the track record of the last 5 years, I'd say they've doen a pretty good job. Remember anit-terrorism measures cannot stop at our borders or we are doomed to fail.

GWB lies and says he knew notjhing about this until it became public-if you believe him, then you better ask yourself what the fuck else is going on he knows nothing about.   I personally have a problem with any president that tells blatant lies, be it about sex or national security, but thats just the kind of guy I am.

I'm not happy with the handling of this either. You might want to review previous threads before calling me a shill. Again, you are speaking out of ignorance.

You better use your research fu to educate yourself on the connections between Treasury Secretary Snow and the UEA government, and you better consider Bob Dole's and other

Yep, I'll do that right after I get done researching how Bush planned 9/11 to go to war with Iraq for oil.

This is just as bad as the Chinese Communist connections under the Clinton administration, maybe worse because the Chi Coms at least didn't attack us in our homeland and murder 3,000 of your countrymen.

So you're saying the UAE government was involved in 9/11? Care to prove it?

Ask yourself why Bush is suddenly so tight with that discredited, impeached and disbarred Bill Clinton.  Are they birds of a feather, Clinton  sellls us out to China, Bush sells us out to the Theocratic Muslim Arabs?  They seem to have more commonality than differences these days.

Wow, so where's the best price on tin foil?

I hope you're really not in national security, or if you are I certainly hope you don't hold a position of responsibility.  You sound like one of those PC types that would instruct your underlings to jack up Suzy Chapstick at the airport, while Achmed walks right on past, so you can't be accused of "racial profiling."

Actually, I am. I was more involved about a year and a half ago. Alas, you must rotate in my business. Racial profiling won't work with the ever adaptive nature of our enemy. Likewise, these 'random' searches at the airport don't work either. There are better methods.
ETA: One of the reasons I'm not panicking is because I know what effort is put into our security. Not only here, but abroad as well.

Notice in all my arguments here, I stick to a formula to describe the potential enemy-Theocratic Muslim Arabs.

Then you obviously don't know the UAE. They are Muslim. They are Arabs. They are not devout. They are not theocratic like Iran or the Taliban. In fact, the .gov of the UAE is often a target for terrorists because they are not pure enough.

I cite the combination, coupled with turning our fucking ports over to them, that makes me quite alarmed over this whole deal.

Again, you fail to understand the nuances. We are not turning our ports over to them. The ports are still run by the local port authorities. They local port authority law enforcement will still be run by the state/local government. The USCG is still responsible for port security. Customs is still responsible for inspecting things that come into the country. Including inspecting containers in, of all places, Dubai. Border Patrol is still responsible for people entering the country via the ports. Nothing is being turned over to the company, other than the profits.

I'm not alarmed because I'm not ignorant of the security situation at our ports and I'm not taken in by statements like "turning our ports over to terrorists."

Edit: So let's review.
You have yet to provide proof that the UAE, specifically, DPW will be in charge of security in our ports.
You have yet to provide proof the UAE is a theocracy.
You have yet to provide proof the UAE is not cooperating on the GWOT.
You have yet to provide proof this move will impact our security.
All you have is rhetoric. Pretty sad actually. You go ahead and deal with the rhetoric. I'll stick with facts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You take me to task for calling them the savages that they are, implying that I'm a racist while you ignore all their shortcomings, the most alarming being their hatred of the Jews.  That antiSemitism of theirs tells me they'e in lock-step with the thinking of the rest of those savages over there that kill each other over cartoons, send their babies out to blow themselves up and put embassys to the torch.

OMG, the UAE doesn't like jews. Yep, that's a dealbreaker right there. I mean there's nothing more important than what a country's relations with Israel are, is there?

Don't get me wrong - I don't think the UAE or any other foreign country should be able to own any US port, or the lease to it, whatever. But should their relations with israel or any other country have anything to do with a business transaction? Uh, no. It's irrelevant.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You take me to task for calling them the savages that they are, implying that I'm a racist while you ignore all their shortcomings, the most alarming being their hatred of the Jews.

Actually, I'm not ignoring that. You're ASSuming I am. If this deal goes through we get to leverage them through trade and through diplomacy. I'd guess trade-wise it would be used to circumvent the weak ban against Israel. It would also help in other areas like trafficking in persons, as I mentioned in another thread.

That antiSemitism of theirs tells me they'e in lock-step with the thinking of the rest of those savages over there that kill each other over cartoons, send their babies out to blow themselves up and put embassys to the torch.

Again broad generalizations. Not every arab, muslim or anti-Semite is involved in terrorism.

Again, your ignorance is showing. You're trying to paint a picture that the UAE is just like Iran. It is not.

You're right in that they are making political hay out of this. On that we agree. However, the reason they are making political hay is because there is no substance to it.

Considering the track record of the last 5 years, I'd say they've doen a pretty good job. Remember anit-terrorism measures cannot stop at our borders or we are doomed to fail.

I'm not happy with the handling of this either. You might want to review previous threads before calling me a shill. Again, you are speaking out of ignorance.

Yep, I'll do that right after I get done researching how Bush planned 9/11 to go to war with Iraq for oil.

So you're saying the UAE government was involved in 9/11? Care to prove it?

Wow, so where's the best price on tin foil?

Actually, I am. I was more involved about a year and a half ago. Alas, you must rotate in my business. Racial profiling won't work with the ever adaptive nature of our enemy. Likewise, these 'random' searches at the airport don't work either. There are better methods.
ETA: One of the reasons I'm not panicking is because I know what effort is put into our security. Not only here, but abroad as well.

Then you obviously don't know the UAE. They are Muslim. They are Arabs. They are not devout. They are not theocratic like Iran or the Taliban. In fact, the .gov of the UAE is often a target for terrorists because they are not pure enough.

Again, you fail to understand the nuances. We are not turning our ports over to them. The ports are still run by the local port authorities. They local port authority law enforcement will still be run by the state/local government. The USCG is still responsible for port security. Customs is still responsible for inspecting things that come into the country. Including inspecting containers in, of all places, Dubai. Border Patrol is still responsible for people entering the country via the ports. Nothing is being turned over to the company, other than the profits.

I'm not alarmed because I'm not ignorant of the security situation at our ports and I'm not taken in by statements like "turning our ports over to terrorists."

Edit: So let's review.
You have yet to provide proof that the UAE, specifically, DPW will be in charge of security in our ports.
You have yet to provide proof the UAE is a theocracy.
You have yet to provide proof the UAE is not cooperating on the GWOT.
You have yet to provide proof this move will impact our security.
All you have is rhetoric. Pretty sad actually. You go ahead and deal with the rhetoric. I'll stick with facts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you're saying the UAE government was involved in 9/11? Care to prove it?.."  

Get ahold of yourself hoss, I don't think for one moment Bush planned 9-11 to go to war in Iraq.
I do believe I've mention earlier, but it bears repeating obviously, that I voted for the man twice.
In fact I supported him going into Iraq, as I've always considered Iraq unfinished business that someday had to be addressed.  Accusing me of being a tinfoiler is even beneath the racist accusation, just when I thought you'd reached the depths of DU reasoning, too.....

Two of the hijackers came from UAE-the UAE contols everything that moves in or out of that country, they were cited in the 9-11 Commision report for complicity, and they won't come clean with the US Treasury Department on some of that laundered money. UAE Emirates were seen in the company of Osama in '99, which is why Osama wasn't taken out.
The UAE's in lock step with the rest of the Arab world in their hatred of the Jews, and many in the know accuse them of being the transfer station between N Korea and Iran in the transportion of Iran's nuclear equipment.  Tin foil you say, or common sense when I argue they shouldn't control our ports.

Can you guarentee they won't interface with security and learn our routines?  Do you have kids, are you betting their future that you're right and I'm wrong?

I'm comforted somewhat that you're less involved in national security than you were a year ago, but frankly if you have any involvement at all you're too close in my book.

So what's the bottom line here?  why are you adamant that we turn port operations over to them, despite the warning signals?  Do you have stock in some UAE company?  Have you been promised some lucrative job when/if this goes through?  Or are you a radical muslim Arab yourself?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Get ahold of yourself hoss, I don't think for one moment Bush planned 9-11 to go to war in Iraq.
I do believe I've mention earlier, but it bears repeating obviously, that I voted for the man twice.
In fact I supported him going into Iraq, as I've always considered Iraq unfinished business that someday had to be addressed.  Accusing me of being a tinfoiler is even beneath the racist accusation, just when I thought you'd reached the depths of DU reasoning, too.....

Two of the hijackers came from UAE-the UAE contols everything that moves in or out of that country, they were cited in the 9-11 Commision report for complicity, and they won't come clean with the US Treasury Department on some of that laundered money.

Just a quick point 2 of the '98 embassy bombers came from the US. The UAE has seized large amounts of money in the name of the GWOT. There are troops from the UAE in A-stan and we used their bases for the fight in Iraq.

As for them controlling everything that moves in or out of the country. That's simply not the case; something you'd know if you were ever over there. Even in the most controlling regimes, ie the Soviet Union, you still had blackmarkets and undergrounds. Further, you cannot control individuals once they leave your country. For instance, the 9/11 hijackers also spent time in Germany and learned to fly in the US.

UAE Emirates were seen in the company of Osama in '99, which is why Osama wasn't taken out.

OK, so that was the only chance the Clintonistas had? I don't think so. Actually our best opprotunity was in May 1999 when OBL was in Khandahar.

The UAE's in lock step with the rest of the Arab world in their hatred of the Jews, and many in the know accuse them of being the transfer station between N Korea and Iran in the transportion of Iran's nuclear equipment.  Tin foil you say, or common sense when I argue they shouldn't control our ports.

I wouldn't be surprised if equipment went through their ports. Their ports are some of the largest in the world. They are a true free trade zone.
They are also cooperative when it comes to inspectiing containers bound for the US, in their country.

Can you guarentee they won't interface with security and learn our routines?  Do you have kids, are you betting their future that you're right and I'm wrong?

Can you guarantee that one or more of the thousands of port workers aren't AQ? Care to bet the future on the 5% of containers we are inspecting?  If you're a terrorist why bother with all the manpower intensive recon? You have a 95% chance of getting your cargo through.

Here's a bit of logic you're overlooking. They want the profits from this deal. The last thing they want is to compromise those profits. Our security is in their best interest. Especially, since they want us as a counterbalance for Iran, with whom they have many disputes.

I'm comforted somewhat that you're less involved in national security than you were a year ago, but frankly if you have any involvement at all you're too close in my book.

Oh boy that really hurt.
And your expertise in this are consists of what?
You have yet to address the idea of taking anti-terrorism beyond our borders. In fact, you seem to be ignoring it totally.

So what's the bottom line here?  why are you adamant that we turn port operations over to them, despite the warning signals?

Wait a minute. There you go again ASSuming. I'm not adamant we turn operations over to them. I am realistic. There is not more risk with them running the ports, especially once you understand the anti-terrorism strategy of the nation, ie not just guarding specific areas but global engagement, once you understand the relationship between the operator and the responsible security organizations, once you understand there is an American running DPW and that the same people who do the job now will be doing the job in the future, ie Americans.
There is no more risk than is already there.

Now as a matter of policy do we want foreign operators of our ports? Let the politicians debate that. It certainly has serious implications with so many of our ports operated by foreign companies. It might also have economic implications if we replace foreign companies with less experienced domestic companies. I'm not talking about local operations, but the global operations aspect. Also what type of political and global economic fall out would there be to such a policy? These are serious questions.

Do you have stock in some UAE company?

Not to my knowledge. Unless there is one in the S&P 500. Is there?

Have you been promised some lucrative job when/if this goes through?

Nope, I'm spoken for until 2011 at the very least.

Or are you a radical muslim Arab yourself?

Hardly.
If you must have background on me. My biological father, yes I'm a bastard, fought Muslims, in this case the Turks.  They fought over Cyprus a couple of decades ago. I was raised Pentecostal, if you must know my religion. My wife was raised Lutheran. The rest of my background I've made pretty public here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two of the hijackers came from UAE-the UAE contols everything that moves in or out of that country, they were cited in the 9-11 Commision report for complicity, and they won't come clean with the US Treasury Department on some of that laundered money.

Just a quick point 2 of the '98 embassy bombers came from the US. The UAE has seized large amounts of money in the name of the GWOT. There are troops from the UAE in A-stan and we used their bases for the fight in Iraq.

As for them controlling everything that moves in or out of the country. That's simply not the case; something you'd know if you were ever over there. Even in the most controlling regimes, ie the Soviet Union, you still had blackmarkets and undergrounds. Further, you cannot control individuals once they leave your country. For instance, the 9/11 hijackers also spent time in Germany and learned to fly in the US.

UAE Emirates were seen in the company of Osama in '99, which is why Osama wasn't taken out.

OK, so that was the only chance the Clintonistas had? I don't think so. Actually our best opprotunity was in May 1999 when OBL was in Khandahar.

I wouldn't be surprised if equipment went through their ports. Their ports are some of the largest in the world. They are a true free trade zone.
They are also cooperative when it comes to inspectiing containers bound for the US, in their country.

Can you guarantee that one or more of the thousands of port workers aren't AQ? Care to bet the future on the 5% of containers we are inspecting?  If you're a terrorist why bother with all the manpower intensive recon? You have a 95% chance of getting your cargo through.

Here's a bit of logic you're overlooking. They want the profits from this deal. The last thing they want is to compromise those profits. Our security is in their best interest. Especially, since they want us as a counterbalance for Iran, with whom they have many disputes.

Oh boy that really hurt.
And your expertise in this are consists of what?
You have yet to address the idea of taking anti-terrorism beyond our borders. In fact, you seem to be ignoring it totally.

So what's the bottom line here?  why are you adamant that we turn port operations over to them, despite the warning signals?

Wait a minute. There you go again ASSuming. I'm not adamant we turn operations over to them. I am realistic. There is not more risk with them running the ports, especially once you understand the anti-terrorism strategy of the nation, ie not just guarding specific areas but global engagement, once you understand the relationship between the operator and the responsible security organizations, once you understand there is an American running DPW and that the same people who do the job now will be doing the job in the future, ie Americans.
There is no more risk than is already there.

Now as a matter of policy do we want foreign operators of our ports? Let the politicians debate that. It certainly has serious implications with so many of our ports operated by foreign companies. It might also have economic implications if we replace foreign companies with less experienced domestic companies. I'm not talking about local operations, but the global operations aspect. Also what type of political and global economic fall out would there be to such a policy? These are serious questions.

Do you have stock in some UAE company?

Not to my knowledge. Unless there is one in the S&P 500. Is there?

Have you been promised some lucrative job when/if this goes through?

Nope, I'm spoken for until 2011 at the very least.

Or are you a radical muslim Arab yourself?

Hardly.
If you must have background on me. My biological father, yes I'm a bastard, fought Muslims, in this case the Turks.  They fought over Cyprus a couple of decades ago. I was raised Pentecostal, if you must know my religion. My wife was raised Lutheran. The rest of my background I've made pretty public here.

"UAE Emirates were seen in the company of Osama in '99, which is why Osama wasn't taken out.

OK, so that was the only chance the Clintonistas had? I don't think so. Actually our best opprotunity was in May 1999 when OBL was in Khandahar...."...dport

But you dismiss this relationship out of hand, which tells me you're unrealistic and bordering on some polyanna outlook of the veracity of the UAE.  You accept that Osama was hanging out with UAE emirates...hello,warning bell!!!!!!
You also acknowledge that Iranian nuclear equipment went through their ports, and dismiss their antiSemitism.

I've sorry, but I just can't accept this deal, I lost faith in Bush when he exhorted us to trust his decision on Harriet Meirs..fwiw, I live in Dallas and remember when she was on the city council here, and I was horrified when he plucked her out of the blue for SCOTUS!

I've voted Republican all my adult life, I'm 48 years old, and I feel like the only difference anymore between the parties is that the Republicans are selling us out slower, but selling us out nontheless.  Living in Texas, I see virtually every day the results of a failed border policy, and you come on here, an anonymous internet persona, and tell me how I should trust the administration on this issue.  
I ain't buying it one iota-I was in NYC Labor Day weekend before 9-11, I have pictures of my daughter on my shoulders with the twin towers in the background, and I'll never forget that these theocratic arab muslims killed 3,000 of my countrymen.

If you're comfortable enough to let your guard down, I guess in a way I'm envious of your trust-for me, I refuse to forget.

I'm done with this topic.  (hopefully, unless you type something that really pisses me off).

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:34:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
But you dismiss this relationship out of hand, which tells me you're unrealistic and bordering on some polyanna outlook of the veracity of the UAE.  You accept that Osama was hanging out with UAE emirates...hello,warning bell!!!!!!
You also acknowledge that Iranian nuclear equipment went through their ports, and dismiss their antiSemitism.

Again you are making statements with no basis in fact. Did you know the US encouraged such relationships prior to 9/11? In the 80's we funded $1 to the Afghan muj for ever dollar the Gulf States gave the Arab muj. After the Taliban took over there was actually some good seen in it because they restricted the flow of opium.

But to be very honest, I cuold give a flying shit about the past. It's all about what they have done for us lately. In the last 5 years you could not have asked for a better ally.

You also seem to dismiss the part where we expressed concern with the relationship in 99 and they broke it off.

As for the nuclear shipments through their ports, are you going to damn every country where the containers went through? Do you know how many countries these containers went through? Do you know that if a container is not destined for that country and is just there as a layover the country, under international agreement, has no authority to inspect that container?  Something else that has not been answered to my satisfaction. Was this nuclear specific equipment or the press going apeshit over dual use equipment?

As for their anti-semitism, that's the cost of doing business if you want to get something done in the ME. Plain and simple. No country is going to match our political views 100%. To believe so is naive and foolish.

I've sorry, but I just can't accept this deal, I lost faith in Bush when he exhorted us to trust his decision on Harriet Meirs..fwiw, I live in Dallas and remember when she was on the city council here, and I was horrified when he plucked her out of the blue for SCOTUS!

Aha. So now we see the true motivation. You're pissed at Bush for perceived wrongs. FACTS BE DAMNED! Gotcha. There is no more use in this conversation because you can neither take a rational nor critical view of this subject because you're blinded by your hatred for this administration.

I've voted Republican all my adult life, I'm 48 years old, and I feel like the only difference anymore between the parties is that the Republicans are selling us out slower, but selling us out nontheless.  Living in Texas, I see virtually every day the results of a failed border policy, and you come on here, an anonymous internet persona, and tell me how I should trust the administration on this issue.  

Second verse same as the first.

I ain't buying it one iota-I was in NYC Labor Day weekend before 9-11, I have pictures of my daughter on my shoulders with the twin towers in the background, and I'll never forget that these theocratic arab muslims killed 3,000 of my countrymen.

So you have no problem with Iranians then since they are theocratic Persian muslims? How many Wahabi .govs do you see out there? Please name the countries with these fundamentalist .govs!

If you're comfortable enough to let your guard down, I guess in a way I'm envious of your trust-for me, I refuse to forget.

Who said let our guard down? You are again making the mistake of equating which company loads and unloads ships at a port with our guard. You have demonstrated you are incapable or unwilling to look a the larger picture and the various facets of port security.

I'm done with this topic.  (hopefully, unless you type something that really pisses me off).

Likely, continuing exposure to a little thing called the truth will piss you off. It often pisses people off who can't handle it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:45:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Why?

America says "We will defend Tiawan"
America gets billions of plastic shit from China.

Who wants to invade Tiawan?

This changes nothing for me.

Most of your semiconductor parts are from Taiwan, although now its mostly Korea and China now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I hate Jews

Quoted:
I like Jews

interesting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again you are making statements with no basis in fact. Did you know the US encouraged such relationships prior to 9/11? In the 80's we funded $1 to the Afghan muj for ever dollar the Gulf States gave the Arab muj. After the Taliban took over there was actually some good seen in it because they restricted the flow of opium.

But to be very honest, I cuold give a flying shit about the past. It's all about what they have done for us lately. In the last 5 years you could not have asked for a better ally.

You also seem to dismiss the part where we expressed concern with the relationship in 99 and they broke it off.

As for the nuclear shipments through their ports, are you going to damn every country where the containers went through? Do you know how many countries these containers went through? Do you know that if a container is not destined for that country and is just there as a layover the country, under international agreement, has no authority to inspect that container?  Something else that has not been answered to my satisfaction. Was this nuclear specific equipment or the press going apeshit over dual use equipment?

As for their anti-semitism, that's the cost of doing business if you want to get something done in the ME. Plain and simple. No country is going to match our political views 100%. To believe so is naive and foolish.

Aha. So now we see the true motivation. You're pissed at Bush for perceived wrongs. FACTS BE DAMNED! Gotcha. There is no more use in this conversation because you can neither take a rational nor critical view of this subject because you're blinded by your hatred for this administration.

Second verse same as the first.

So you have no problem with Iranians then since they are theocratic Persian muslims? How many Wahabi .govs do you see out there? Please name the countries with these fundamentalist .govs!

Who said let our guard down? You are again making the mistake of equating which company loads and unloads ships at a port with our guard. You have demonstrated you are incapable or unwilling to look a the larger picture and the various facets of port security.

Likely, continuing exposure to a little thing called the truth will piss you off. It often pisses people off who can't handle it.

Yup you're a shining beacon of truth, ain't ya?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate Jews

Quoted:
I like Jews

interesting.

The former refers to the subset of Jews that are known as Israelis, the latter refers to people of both religious and racial Jewish backgrounds who are not supporters of Israel.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top