Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I think #5 might be the ACU (UCP) pattern with more brown mixed in:

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/UCP-delta.jpg

those look like weird pajamas

I always thought the new cut resembled them as well . I cannot believe we are messing with a new pattern again. Hell Woodland left less than a decade ago and already we have seen ACU and now multicam. This combined with the fact that most of the TA-50 changed to match the latest flavor of the day. Shit like the beret (which nobody likes and for some reason had to match the Ranger color to boot), PT uniform changes, Class A changes, etc. No wonder they wont look into realistic weapon/ caliber testing (yeah, yeah, I know). Just saying do we need a new uniform every 2-3 years or could we spend our money a bit more efficiently?

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Holy fuck.

I can't believe this shit.

I'd rather wear OD.

Hey! Be nice.

I wore OD jungle fatigues (issued) for 3 years in Panama. Got the lightweight BDU's not long before I PCS'd but weren't authorized for "field" use at that point.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

those look like weird pajamas

I always thought the new cut resembled them as well . I cannot believe we are messing with a new pattern again. Hell Woodland left less than a decade ago and already we have seen ACU and now multicam. This combined with the fact that most of the TA-50 changed to match the latest flavor of the day. Shit like the beret (which nobody likes and for some reason had to match the Ranger color to boot), PT uniform changes, Class A changes, etc. No wonder they wont look into realistic weapon/ caliber testing (yeah, yeah, I know). Just saying do we need a new uniform every 2-3 years or could we spend our money a bit more efficiently?

Congress directed the Army to look into the crappy effectiveness of UCP last year.  these tests are the results

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#4]
No shit. I keep hoping some SGM will say fuck this and go back to old school so I can break out the foot lockers of BDU's and DCU's I have.

Quoted:
I do miss the days when everyone wore woodland cammies.

Thank you USMC for wanting to be different.

<––-former Marine

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
My Principles of good camo are:

Wear a neutral color and break up your outline some how.
Get eyes on your enemy/Game before they see you.
Sudden movement is your enemy.
Outlining yourself against a skyline or solid background  is taboo.
Use  terrain to your advantage for movement.  

Besides  with the IR tech coming online unless you hump a AC unit on your back  the most dangerous threats will see you anyway unless you are in a cave......

Sometimes the best place to hide is in plain sight.

OD or coyote brown  will work in a pinch anytime.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
There are several extant patterns that work very well but have no chance of adoption.

I think the current German desert flektarn works very well in the photos I've seen as does desert MARPAT.  I like MARPAT woodland and CADPAT woodland for a "green" uniform.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy fuck.

I'd rather wear OD.

Hey! Be nice.

I wore OD jungle fatigues (issued) for 3 years in Panama. Got the lightweight BDU's not long before I PCS'd but weren't authorized for "field" use at that point.

The "OG 107" slant-pocket ripstop utility uniform was the best looking, most functional uniform the U.S. Army has ever developed.  It's been downhill for them ever since.

OD really blends in well with terrain.  The USMC found that the goofy "duck hunter" cammo they adopted early in WW II attracted too much attention while moving during operations in the jungles of the Pacific.  Thus, the HBT OD green utilities were actually better in the field.  

Nothing has changed about human physiology to make me think any different.  

The ERDL cammo used by the USMC and some Army units  in Vietnam late in the war was good too-the soft borders of the differing colors blended well, and the uniform retained the excellent design pattern of the OD green slant pocket utility uniform.

While we're on the subject of dress uniforms, I'd like to add that the U.S. Army "Class A" uniform from WW II wasn't bad looking at all.  Why they didn't complete the move back to it in 2003 when they were on the brink of doing so evades me.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard the following the office today about this

1) Didn't the Army get the memo about cutting spending?

2) Were do I report the fraud, waste and abuse on this one?

shit, we can do this for the cost of repair parts for one F35B engine.

They haven't taught you about the differant pots of money yet have they?

Oh, they have.
But at the end of the day, its still pissing away money.
And uniforms are chump change.  Hell, do it right, and you save advertising money.
The ACUs are an abomination.  We have to spend more money to recruit people to put them in our shitty uniforms.

I can brief new uniforms for the army easier than i can brief 300 f35bs

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just fucking stop it.  Fuck it just put everyone in goddamn woodlands

Didn't you get the memo?  Evidently, black doesn't appear in nature.

The IDF have it right.  One green set and one desert tan set.  Forget all the whiz bang new patterns.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was just thinking.  What are the chances they threw in two or three bogus patterns just to force the Army to choose the pattern we should've had in the first place....

Multicam.

I got to admit, that was my first thought.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy fuck.

I'd rather wear OD.

Hey! Be nice.

The "OG 107" slant-pocket ripstop utility uniform was the best looking, most functional uniform the U.S. Army has ever developed.  It's been downhill for them ever since.

OD really blends in well with terrain.  The USMC found that the goofy "duck hunter" cammo they adopted early in WW II attracted too much attention while moving during operations in the jungles of the Pacific.  Thus, the HBT OD green utilities were actually better in the field.  

The ERDL cammo used by the USMC and some Army units  in Vietnam late in the war was good too-the soft borders of the differing colors blended well, and the uniform retained the excellent design pattern of the OD green slant pocket utility uniform.

While we're on the subject of dress uniforms, I'd like to add that the U.S. Army "Class A" uniform from WW II wasn't bad looking at all.  Why they didn't complete the move back to it in 2003 when they were on the brink of doing so evades me.  

The Army dress uniforms from the WWII era were superior to the green A's or the ASU.  By far.

Reenactors, second from left:

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm glad the BDUs/DCUs are gone.  Wash and wear is the way to go.  We should have adopted the Marine uniform, though.  Maybe in a different pattern.  But the cut is better.

Agree 100%

The point of a utility uniform isn't to look pretty, it's to get dirty, tear up, and throw away.

Wanna have a nice pressed and polished uniform? Wear Class A's.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, they have.
And uniforms are chump change.  Hell, do it right, and you save advertising money.
The ACUs are an abomination.  We have to spend more money to recruit people to put them in our shitty uniforms.

This isn't an F35B thread.

Just thought I'd remind you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]
What the hell...

Can't they just adopt the two styles of MARPAT and move on with it?
Shit, woodland and three color desert even....
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Figuring out the best camo pattern isn't exactly rocket science. You could do a highly controlled scientific experiment to determine the best over the course of a weekend and you could pay your raters in beer. But no, they're going to pick some stupid fucking pattern based on how "cool" it looks...
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#16]
One of those other patterns would be good... then I can have Multicam back as "a good camo that's neither hunting-related nor military".
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#17]
If the Army actually does go through with adopting a new pattern I hope to high hell the AF just goes with multicam and calls it a day. But for some reason I see the uniform board defending the ABU and refusing to get a better uniform for years to come.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What the hell...

No they can't, because that would make sense.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the hell...

that wont happen while the USMC still has the patent on it...

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

fucking THIS.

or suck some USMC dick and let us use the Marine Corps' uniforms (minus EGA)
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
What the hell...

It's my understanding that the pattern was offered to the other services without the EGA for obvious reasons, but was rejected by same.

The USN adopted very similar patterns ("woodland" and "desert") that are for all intents and purposes are almost identical MARPAT.  I don't see why the Army can't do so as well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
What the hell...

It's my understanding that the pattern was offered to the other services without the EGA for obvious reasons, but was rejected by same.

The USN adopted very similar patterns ("woodland" and "desert") that are for all intents and purposes are almost identical MARPAT.  I don't see why the Army can't do so as well.

Yep. Without they Coyote Brown. And the "ACE" instead of the EGA. Just got my set issued.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, they have.

Its a stupid waste of money thread.
F35 and LCS get thrown in for good measure.
and maybe NGB if I am feeling froggy.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the hell...

MARPAT, UCP, NWU Type 1, AOR 1/2 (now called NWU Type 2 and 3), and woodland CADPAT are all the exact same pattern but in different colors.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Were still dealing with this shit?

*Face palm*
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy fuck.

I'd rather wear OD.

Hey! Be nice.

The "OG 107" slant-pocket ripstop utility uniform was the best looking, most functional uniform the U.S. Army has ever developed. It's been downhill for them ever since.

OD really blends in well with terrain. The USMC found that the goofy "duck hunter" cammo they adopted early in WW II attracted too much attention while moving during operations in the jungles of the Pacific. Thus, the HBT OD green utilities were actually better in the field.

The ERDL cammo used by the USMC and some Army units in Vietnam late in the war was good too-the soft borders of the differing colors blended well, and the uniform retained the excellent design pattern of the OD green slant pocket utility uniform.

While we're on the subject of dress uniforms, I'd like to add that the U.S. Army "Class A" uniform from WW II wasn't bad looking at all. Why they didn't complete the move back to it in 2003 when they were on the brink of doing so evades me.

The WWII-era uniform was meant to be both a service (garrison) and field uniform before new uniforms were developed specifically for combat use (denim was used for fatigue duty at the time the war started; very similar to the USN's dungarees).
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

whatever cocksucker said that never hunted black bear.

everything is fucking black in nature.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

At what point do we wear the swastika arm bands?

Class A's by Hugo Boss?

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially at . . . night . . . the time when we do our most important work . . .

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#31]
The A-TACS looks good to me. But I'm just a regular guy and don't know shit. Was it part of the competition?
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Old School olive drab FTW.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, they have.

Its a stupid waste of money thread.
F35 and LCS get thrown in for good measure.
and maybe NGB if I am feeling froggy.

The difference is, the F-35B will be put to good use for decades projecting U.S. military power to defend our national interests.  OTOH, the Army will spend years testing, evaluating, approving, then cancelling a replacement for the ACU.    

As is typical, the U.S. Army will be fully engaged in what is sadly becoming a flail-ex to find a "needed replacement" for the (insert item here) in the name of modernization.  Just prior to adoption of (insert item here) which comes at the conclusion of years of testing and even written incorporation into published FMs, the decision will be made to cancel the program and "look forward to the next generation of follow-on procurement programs" to replace the (insert item here) that was just cancelled......

You're in the Army, and of course I respect that (probably more than you realize, and certainly more than you respect the USMC).  That said, the failure of the Army to procure something as simple as a combat utility uniform that meets your service requirements isn't anything but a failure on the part of the Army to make up their fucking minds on a combat utility uniform.  

FUCK ME RUNNING.  

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the USMC will continue to procure what it needs to in order to meet mission requirements as mandated by our political leadership.

You think you can brief Congress on why you need an ACU replacement more than the USMC needs to replace AV-8B airframes before they start falling out of the sky?  

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The A-TACS looks good to me. But I'm just a regular guy and don't know shit. Was it part of the competition?

It didn't meet the criteria for testing, ie. it was way too fucking weird.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

O's Second term.

only if you're TSA
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://web.archive.org/web/20081221113928/http://www4.army.mil/news/article.php?story=6042

There were 20 changes made to the uniform, to include removing the color black and adapting the digital print from the Marine Corps uniform to meet the needs of the Army, said Sgt. 1st Class Jeff Myhre, the Clothing and Individual Equipment noncommissioned officer in charge.

Black is no longer useful on the uniform because it is not a color commonly found in nature. The drawback to black is that its color immediately catches the eye, he added.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Change is just a MIPR away...

That would be a hell of an MDEP swap.

tanker, you seem to think that I think the army is somehow superior.  i think every branch is full of shit.

marines just bought 75 refurbished harriers.  4 on each of your baby carriers.  30 for training.  dunz.

how many 35bs do we need to buy again?  

cancelling a project that has just become an expensive embarassment should be considered a better choice than procuring it "just because"

EFV was probably the smartest procurement move this decade for you guys.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://web.archive.org/web/20081221113928/http://www4.army.mil/news/article.php?story=6042

There were 20 changes made to the uniform, to include removing the color black and adapting the digital print from the Marine Corps uniform to meet the needs of the Army, said Sgt. 1st Class Jeff Myhre, the Clothing and Individual Equipment noncommissioned officer in charge.

Black is no longer useful on the uniform because it is not a color commonly found in nature. The drawback to black is that its color immediately catches the eye, he added.

except for the fact that the mind sees shadows in nature as black.  black in a camo pattern is there to give it depth

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#43]
I agree completely.  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#44]
So far i've deployed in three different fucking patterns, and i've got about 6 years in.

This means every couple years I fill another toughbox with personally bought equipment to replace the shitty or absent army gear.

I don't give two shits what the government is spending on uniforms, i'm tired of spending my money.

My personal preference would be to just go with multicam.  We already have a ton of issue gear invested in it.  I don't care if it doesn't exactly match every scenario, nobody is going to be able to do that.  Cammo is not about faceoainting it up and being able to crawl 3 feet to the enemy without being seen.  It's primary purpose is to break up your silhouette over a distance.  Multicam is pretty good at that no matter where you are.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see a black bear or moose with the naked eye against the tundra at 2000 meters. I'm not sure I like black.

My uncle caught a flash off of a paddle and spotted a moose at 15 miles once when I was in the truck. That was kind of cool.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Looks like a guy wearing ACUs got smeared with poo...
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#47]
How much money are they going to waste on this stupid shit?

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just settle down. Wait until you see the Officer dress uni's. They are out of this world! Black leather long coats and riding pants with your branch color sewn down the legs with matching black riding boots.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#49]
My fucking head is spinning.  Didn't the fucking Army rule out Multicams like a fucking year ago?  This is fucking dumb.  I want a job picking out uniforms for the Army, talk about job security.

edit:  Noted,  For more information, contact Steve Abate, Army Contracting, at (508) 233-6160.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should just throw all the patterns into a hat and pick at random, then we can all hate on the choice and get on with our lives.  I just saved the Army tons of $.

How would that get somebody their stars?

We would have a new process called the Army Star Selection board (ASS board), where all candidates would receive $1000 and the person to blow it the fastest wins the star.  This would save the Army even more money.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top