BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not just stay with MC instead of using it as a temporary fix?

Expense, I'm sure.

Not that tossing 5 billion down the toilet WASN'T expensive when an
off the shelf design was right there waiting.

I'm sure its high but they've already got a head start on acquisition from Afghanistan don't they? How much is the R&D running for this new design, plus the subsequent implementation cost?

I'm not argueing with you.  I agree with you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
now that the war is over...uniforms helping our troops hide is more important than ever.........................

It's always important.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does the article ACTUALLY say the Army is switching everyone to Multi-Cam?

No sir.  It says Multi cam is an interim fix for deployed troops.

The magical wheel of aquisition will spin once more.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Expense, I'm sure.

I'm sure its high but they've already got a head start on acquisition from Afghanistan don't they? How much is the R&D running for this new design, plus the subsequent implementation cost?

I'm not argueing with you.  I agree with you.

I get that, I'm just wondering out loud.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will the USAF follow?

I don't see why the USAF doesn't go with OD utilities for everyone but
pilots, spec ops, and guys that are actually out in the bushes with the bad guys.

I spent most of my enlistment in coveralls anyway.  When weekend duty rolled around, I didn't even bother with BDUs.

Utilities wouldn't need to be OD green.  Why not grey or blue?  If I'm going to blend in with anything, it'll be a two-mile expanse of concrete.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will the USAF follow?

pilots, spec ops, and guys that are actually out in the bushes with the bad guys.

I spent most of my enlistment in coveralls anyway.  When weekend duty rolled around, I didn't even bother with BDUs.

Utilities wouldn't need to be OD green.  Why not grey or blue?  If I'm going to blend in with anything, it'll be a two-mile expanse of concrete.

Hell, they could've just stuck with BDUs for that matter.

I'm just saying, it shouldn't be a process for guys that aren't going to realisticly be out running about
in the boonies.  Though I could see some value in having at least OD if you had to E and E or something.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#7]
it was mentioned today over at soldiersystems.net that they current trials will only make a recommendation of a different pattern.  the Army does not have to follow that recommendation...

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Why does the Army seem to have such a problem with uniforms? They haven't had a decent dress uniform since WWII. The exception being Khakis. How is it the Marine Corps manages to make only very minor changes over the last 70 years or so, and they look great?

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#9]
they are planning for AFRICA....

if you havent heard.  troops in Africa by 2013....
serious.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh Fuckin Sakes!

Go back to woodland and the desert shit we had. Put the navy back into the dungarees and blue work shirts and be done with this shit already. Olive drab for everyone else.

It's fucking stupid and a waste of money.

All the special high speed low drag fuckers will have their own special shit anyway.

Half these guys can't come up 3 magazines to qualify on the gun range and some fucker is constantly fucking with the color of the uniform.

If you want to play fuckin Barbie with real life GI Joe dolls, go do it with the fuckin dress uniforms.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

serious.

Troops have been there and are there now.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expense, I'm sure.

the 4 companies involved (ATS, Crye, Brookwood, Kryptec) are developing the patterns on their own dime

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

serious.

Troops have been there and are there now.

let me rephase that..

MORE troops in Africa.

INCREASED support in Africa from US forces.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

but EVERY branch is now issued MULTICAM before deploying to AFGHANISTAN.  Even the Puddle-pirates...

Someone must have forgotten to let my chain of command know that... oh, and the entire rest of the Marine Corps...who the fuck told you that?

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What color of beret, though?  

this is another thing that fucking puzzles me

"well, we could just use the tan one because it matches a little bit better. LOL actually fuck that shit, let's troll the fucking shit out of the rangers lolollolol"

rangers were Not the first to have the black bean....................the CAV got trolled.......
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is another thing that fucking puzzles me

"well, we could just use the tan one because it matches a little bit better. LOL actually fuck that shit, let's troll the fucking shit out of the rangers lolollolol"

rangers were Not the first to have the black bean....................the CAV got trolled.......

Don't bring all them there high-falutin' FACTS up in here.

Ain't nobody innerested!
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#19]
So, we'll be seeing large amounts of slightly used UCP garments in surplus shops soon.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#20]
It's about fucking time....
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Sucks that every other country is using multi-cam now.  Go back to woodland or OD.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raspberry, of course.

But would they have to get it 2nd hand?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I am all for this expenditure if it makes AF JTACs feel less special.  Steal a bit of the luster from the whole airsoft/SF Gucci thing.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No.  In fact it suggests that the Army is developing it's own family of patterns.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  In fact it suggests that the Army is developing making companies
come up with it's own family of patterns.

FIFY
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

but EVERY branch is now issued MULTICAM before deploying to AFGHANISTAN.  Even the Puddle-pirates...

Someone must have forgotten to let my chain of command know that... oh, and the entire rest of the Marine Corps...who the fuck told you that?

Army times, Air Force times, Navy times. Army and Airforce began at the end of 2010.

Dont know why your not.  I guess because marines cant play nice with others???  

besides you guys have the cool uniforms anyway that are better suited than the bullshit ones the AF Army and Navy got.

maybe as usual the marines wanted to stand out?  I guess I stand corrected.  Come to think about it Army, Navy and AF are the only ones i have actually seen with it.

but heres an article from MARCH 2010 when this was first announced (for the ARMY):

army times

I'll see if i can find the other articles from ARMY Times, AF times, and Navy times
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Yet somehow Israel manages to carry on with uniforms that are nominally changed over the past decades: (And I'm not huge fan of Israel, but at least they seem to waste their money (and ours) in the right areas. Though they are probably looking at magic digipat uniforms too...)

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Acu's was a shitty idea and blend in to jack shit.

You are obviously misinformed

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Is that true?  I understood these patterns were being developed by AMC.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So, we'll be seeing large amounts of slightly used UCP garments in surplus shops soon.  

That no one will buy because it sucks. I do expect to see a shit of homeless in ACU field jackets though. At lest they will blend in with the sidewalks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#31]
ARMY TIMES AUG 2010

just showing that this actually started in 2010.

Today, everyone coming through FT DIX on their way to AFGHAN is wearing MULTICAM.  Army, Air Force, Navy, and Puddle Pirates.  To stand corrected, I dont recall any Marines and dont know why.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Army times, Air Force times, Navy times. Army and Airforce began at the end of 2010.

Dont know why your not.  I guess because marines cant play nice with others???  

besides you guys have the cool uniforms anyway that are better suited than the bullshit ones the AF Army and Navy got.

maybe as usual the marines wanted to stand out?  I guess I stand corrected.  Come to think about it Army, Navy and AF are the only ones i have actually seen with it.

but heres an article from MARCH 2010 when this was first announced (for the ARMY):

army times

I'll see if i can find the other articles from ARMY Times, AF times, and Navy times

Ok. Wasn't trying to pick on you, just didn't realize anyone thought that. I work with personnel right now from the Army, Navy, and AF, all in multicam. All seem very happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Seems like someone in DoD acquisition loves to spend tax payer money with an open ended credit card...chalk this one up along with them and Chinese components going into US Military weapons systems...with sabotaged micro chips and other defective parts.  Check out this audio "China embedding critical parts in U.S. national infrastructure" ; http://kleinonline.wnd.com/audio/shock-report-china-embedding-critical-parts-in-u-s-national-infrastructure/

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/06/24/062412-news-camouflage-fiasco-1-5/

http://sofrep.com/
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raspberry, of course.

The kind you find in a second-hand store?
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
ARMY TIMES AUG 2010

Today, everyone coming through FT DIX on their way to AFGHAN is wearing MULTICAM.  Army, Air Force, Navy, and Puddle Pirates.  To stand corrected, I dont recall any Marines and dont know why.

One more note on that, it doesn't seem to be a no-matter-what univeral requirement for non-USMC in AFG. For example, we have lots of Seebees come through my area that all wear the older desert tri-colors.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
ARMY TIMES AUG 2010

The Army made the decision to adopt Multi-Cam for troops deployed to Afghanistan due to complaints about the ACUs ability to blend in to the terrain there.  I'm speculating here, but it sounds to me like USAF and USN personnel deploying in support of the Army-and there are quite a few-are being issued Multi-Cam as well for obvious reasons.  

One of our family friends was USNR (admin), and received orders to Ft. Bragg for her PTP training a few years back.  She didn't pass the medical screening in San Diego due to cancer (which was a blessing that it was caught early and she has since been treated and cured), so she didn't deploy, but she was briefed prior to leaving her reserve unit that she would be issued Army ACUs at Bragg for wear in-theater.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I suppose that means there will be another flood of pouches and other stuff on the surplus market.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will the USAF follow?

That would not be fashionable. And that is not a joke. The AF fully understands that only a very small percentage of us need a functional camouflage uniform, however we wouldn't look like super-hip high-tech future-warriors if we didn't have a cool digital pattern like everyone else.

I've been saying for years, all the AF needs is OD utes while in garrison, and FDE while deployed. One solid color. Save us millions. Won't look like a bag of smashed dick.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#40]
I work at a place that makes clothes for the military.

I can't post pics, but some of the experiemental camo that comes through here is freakin' sweet!
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

Is that true?  I understood these patterns were being developed by AMC.

ATS, Crye, Brookwood and Kryptec developed the patterns currently being tested.  there are pics out of the patterns for most of them but the Crye submission hasnt been shown yet...

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I like how they blame the digital aspect, when it was the color choice that was fucking awful.

No black in nature!

http://milspecmonkey.com/articles/acu-pic02.jpg

Tell that to the bears, crows, tigers, jaguars, skunks, zebra, leopard, puma, wolves, ravens, tasmanian devils, seals, moneys, snakes, horses......

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will the USAF follow?

OD works fine in woodland or jungle environments. OD is far better for concealment than UCP.

That said, khaki would be a better choice as the wars are being fought in desert combat environments.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm all for getting Multi-Cam or something simular, but they better give me a one-for-one swap on all my ACU shit. I finally got all the high speed jackets, coats and parkas.

I feel awful for my son.  He just literally reported to his unit today

and he's going to have to replace is whole kit within a year or so.

I joined the USN in '07, so... I know the pain he shall be feeling shortly. By the time I left Bahrain in '09 I had at least 3 discontinued uniforms. More came later.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Kryptek

ATS

Brookwood

Crye

?????

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Inaccurate title is inaccurate.

It probably is.

What would a more accurate title be?

My Bi-Weekly Bash the USA Thread.

Don't you have something on boil that needs your attention?

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Just switch to MC permanently and be done with it. MC works well and they've already spent a lot of money on it. Everybody makes MC now as well so it wouldn't take the industry any time at all.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i for one am excited about the piles of the old stuff that is going to fill surplus stores. :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but they will shred it, thanks to Clinton....

Clothing, at least come uniforms, is being shredded now, but not due to Clinton, this was a decision in the last few years.

It was evidently a knee-jerk reaction from an attack on an Iraqi Army base where the enemy wore ACU's and drove right in pats security. Never mind that they likely were wearing the cheap imported copies made in China and sold by lots of lower end suppliers, not US surplus stuff that had worked through the system.

But vests, packs, pouches, etc are still being sold. I just started getting lots of coyote brown mag pouches and other stuff on the surplus market.

A lot of it gets destroyed too and I can't figure out why. As the OIC for what's left of the Ogden Arsenal, we shipped train cars of OCIE, including NIW stuff to Sierra to be burnt.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top