Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:09:11 PM EST
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

and until M855A1 becomes available on the open market (I have only seen 1 round in private hands) we will have no issues with the old style.  

I look forward to the flood of surplus magazines!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like you could upgrade old ones with the right tooling, but you would have to choose between widening the feed lip gap or stretching the metal.

Not interchangeable? Sounds like they are interchangeable, just different NSNs.

Cheaper and easier to throw them away at $7 a pop than rework.

and until M855A1 becomes available on the open market (I have only seen 1 round in private hands) we will have no issues with the old style.  

855A1 is never hitting the market in any appreciable amount
fnh
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:10:27 PM EST
[#2]
Quoted:
Tan magazine with blue followers?!

I wonder when they will be available for civilians.
View Quote

I'm intrigued.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:10:38 PM EST
[#3]
Quoted:
Serious question, have there been serious reliability issues with the M4 to merit the change?
View Quote

No, I have 6 TACOM Armt LAR's upstairs and I talk with them everyday.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:11:43 PM EST
[#4]
Quoted:
Ah, the perfect circle of the military industrial complex.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:13:00 PM EST
[#5]

Quoted:
No need for a new version.

The M3 PMag (GEN M3 PMAG BLK NSN: 1005-01-628-5106) has always run the Army's new Enhanced Penetrator Round (M855A1), flawlessly without accelerated damage to the feed ramps of the M4/M16/HK416.

The new USGI uses feeding geometry "strikingly" similar to that introduced with the original PMag M3 8 years ago but it still suffers from reliability and durability issues inherent with the ALU body. Not to mention the PMag offers round remaining feature and has a US Govt cost substantially lower than the new magazine.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=84483
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well we all know the Gen 4 Pmags will be out soon now,

The M3 PMag (GEN M3 PMAG BLK NSN: 1005-01-628-5106) has always run the Army's new Enhanced Penetrator Round (M855A1), flawlessly without accelerated damage to the feed ramps of the M4/M16/HK416.

The new USGI uses feeding geometry "strikingly" similar to that introduced with the original PMag M3 8 years ago but it still suffers from reliability and durability issues inherent with the ALU body. Not to mention the PMag offers round remaining feature and has a US Govt cost substantially lower than the new magazine.

That's good to hear, since I have a metric crapton of PMAGs.

Well, it'd be good to hear if I had any M855A1, or even the desire to use it.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:13:35 PM EST
[#6]
Quoted:

When used with M855A1.  This new magazine is specifically to answer problems caused by the new ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question, have there been serious reliability issues with the M4 to merit the change?

When used with M855A1.  This new magazine is specifically to answer problems caused by the new ammo.

I've not had any issues with em', worked fine in steel/MPUL etc.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:13:35 PM EST
[#7]
A perfect metaphor for the Army.

YAY NEW ROUND (blissfully ignoring Mk318 and other available alternatives to M855)
Awwwwwww, it fucks up the feed ramps...time to procure a bazillion bucks worth of new mags

YAY an enhanced version of the M16A1!
Awwwwww, barrel profile has to be compromised to fit the M203 mount

YAY the XM8!
Awwwwww, no

YAY Strikers![
Awwwwww, the soviet union died ten fucking years ago

YAY an M4A1!
Awwwwww, still a carbine length gas system, still has M203 cuts

YAY new pistol!
Awwwwww,no

YAY new rucksack!
Awwwwww, plastic frame brakes under weight of javelin

YAY new camo!
Awwwwww, ACU doesn't blend into shit

YAY new camo... again!
Awwwwww, intellectual property rights? Army don't give two shits about yo intellectual property rights.

YAY OPORDS and doctrine!
Awwwwww, service and support/command and signal changed to logistics/mission command... doctrine changes every fucking year

YAY new evaluation system!
Awwwwww, doesn't work half the time, thrust on you with no lube, draconian rules, months-long turn around, designed to make raters fuck over subordinates

I could go on all day.  Fucking Army.  So glad I left.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:14:00 PM EST
[#8]
Quoted:
Watch out. All your shit just turned obsolete. Where do we purchase?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:14:17 PM EST
[#9]
How many millions did they spend on this?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:16:04 PM EST
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll bet there are going to be a boat load of perfectly good old style GI mags hitting the army's dumpsters over the next year or two.
View Quote

Probably pawn shops or army surplus stores....
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:23:23 PM EST
[#11]
Quoted:

Or perhaps there was never really a problem to begin with?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is it that between my time in the Army and the all the rounds fired as a civilian from my AR15s I have never once had a stoppage from a good GI mag?

This includes mags with black, green, and tan followers.
It just means you haven't fired enough rounds

Or perhaps there was never really a problem to begin with?

Bit there clearly was a problem.
Why do people like you with that if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude get in the way of innovation?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:24:59 PM EST
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll bet there are going to be a boat load of perfectly good old style GI mags hitting the army's dumpsters over the next year or two.  

I'm good with that.  But I fear that reality will be that under orders from the White House they will go to the shredder just the way Bill Klintoon ordered everything including ammo cans to be destroyed rather than reach the civilian market.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:26:51 PM EST
[#13]
Quoted:
How is it that between my time in the Army and the all the rounds fired as a civilian from my AR15s I have never once had a stoppage from a good GI mag?

View Quote

How many of your rounds had a hardened steel penetrator for a meplat?

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:27:10 PM EST
[#14]
Quoted:
So, with these magazines and the changed presentation angle of the rounds, would M4 feed ramps no longer be necessary?  One wonders.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A1 has been chewing up the feedramps.
So, with these magazines and the changed presentation angle of the rounds, would M4 feed ramps no longer be necessary?  One wonders.

I was thinking the same thing but I'm no engineer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:37:56 PM EST
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because an industry partner has to be a gentleman, allow me, a nobody on the internet to translate this into honest jerk Trump-ese.

The private market company Magpul, had a better solution than the bureaucracy of the defense department.
They had a better mousetrap, straight up.
They've had it for years, they've been on to this, and developed it themselves at great cost.

Unable to do it themselves (.mil's gotta spend all that war-fighting money on sensitivity training, leaving the oh so unimportant task of finding improvements to warfighting equipment to others)  they could have simply purchased Pmags in a massive contract and made it the standard - while saving the taxpayer millions on development and costs.

Instead, they copy the feedlips.
If a private company lifted intellectual property, they could be sued, rightfully.
When .gov does it, it's okay, and magpul has to sit there knowing they were the trailblazers, those millions should be theirs, but, fuck you, because government.

Sad.
Very classy of magpul to bite their tongue.

ETA: I have 2 of your belts, and like both, I'm glad you guys ignored the haters and made them.
Lost a screw on one but hey I think that's on me
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:37:59 PM EST
[#16]
Controversial?

Amongst whom?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:38:51 PM EST
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm good with that.  But I fear that reality will be that under orders from the White House they will go to the shredder just the way Bill Klintoon ordered everything including ammo cans to be destroyed rather than reach the civilian market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that why cans are so expensive now?  

Seriously, I can find 40mm linked grenade and 81mm mortar locally easier and cheaper than .30s and .50s.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:55:40 PM EST
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:58:35 PM EST
[#19]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/SpJhuKj.jpg

The mags with tan followers were never supposed to hit the civilian market either, but they have.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:01:30 PM EST
[#20]

Quoted:

YAY NEW ROUND (blissfully ignoring Mk318 and other available alternatives to M855)

Awwwwwww, it fucks up the feed ramps...time to procure a bazillion bucks worth of new mags

YAY the XM8!

Awwwwww, no

YAY Strikers![

YAY an M4A1!

YAY new pistol!

Awwwwww,no

YAY new rucksack!

YAY new camo!

YAY new camo... again!

Awwwwww, intellectual property rights? Army don't give two shits about yo intellectual property rights.

YAY OPORDS and doctrine!

Awwwwww, service and support/command and signal changed to logistics/mission command... doctrine changes every fucking year

Awwwwww, doesn't work half the time, thrust on you with no lube, draconian rules, months-long turn around, designed to make raters fuck over subordinates

View Quote
Me too, sucks for my Son, you would think things would improve
But the higher ups fuck the Enlisted to please the polititions.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:01:47 PM EST
[#21]
I thought the feed lips of USGI magazines contact the bottom of the upper receiver. How does the raised front of the new feed lips not interfere with the upper?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:04:46 PM EST
[#22]

Quoted:

The mags with tan followers were never supposed to hit the civilian market either, but they have.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/SpJhuKj.jpg

These will too, brag surplus stores $5-6 a mag.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:04:53 PM EST
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit that is the best post I have seen in a long time.

I have also been telling people for awhile now that if you feed EPR rounds from a PMAG they don't wear the feed ramp, glad to see it from the source.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:05:35 PM EST
[#24]
can I just paint my black d&h mags TAN, and be cool,  since they will LOOK similar to the issue tan mags?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:05:40 PM EST
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am glad you left too.  There's already too many primadonna know it alls I have to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:08:02 PM EST
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like you could upgrade old ones with the right tooling, but you would have to choose between widening the feed lip gap or stretching the metal.

Not interchangeable? Sounds like they are interchangeable, just different NSNs.

Cheaper and easier to throw them away at $7 a pop than rework.

unless its outlawed it will..... look at the shitloads of xm193 and xm855 copies running around..... they WILL copy xm855-a1 ... and sell it. zqi, pmc, etc, etc, etc.... unless they claim its ap ammo and ban any copies.

I could easily see one way to fight the OMG its AP ammo ban... would be.. hey its a 100% GREEN bullet ! it has no lead to pollute the earth !
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:09:45 PM EST
[#27]
Quoted:
wouldn't it be easier to redesign 855A1

View Quote

It would be easier for them to just buy pmags, instead of ripping off their geometry.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:11:33 PM EST
[#28]
Quoted:

Those are their "Surefeed" mags. I think they're just for the civilian market. They use Magpul followers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't Okay do a redesigned Enhanced magazine about a year ago?
When they dropped the NHMTG name?
Did that have anything to do with this>

Those are their "Surefeed" mags. I think they're just for the civilian market. They use Magpul followers.

Yep, they're finally using their Okay brand name to distribute mags to civilians is all.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:12:54 PM EST
[#29]
Quoted:
So will the market get flooded with the old mags, or do they all go to a shredder?
View Quote

I can almost promise you: SHREDDER.  This administration absolutely hates magazines over 10 rounds.

BTW, when the military switched from 20s to 30 round magazines, most units just bagged up the 20s and put them in trash dumpsters.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:14:56 PM EST
[#30]
Quoted:
If you look at the CAD in the OP, the angle of the feedlips has been raised to prevent the steel nose of A1 from contacting the aluminum portion of the feedramps.
View Quote

Why did they not do this like 60 years ago?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:15:09 PM EST
[#31]
The real question is, where do I find M855A1?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:15:14 PM EST
[#32]
Quoted:

Seriously, I can find 40mm linked grenade and 81mm mortar locally easier and cheaper than .30s and .50s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cans are not being shredded. It happened at a few bases when post commanders tried to have everything metal 'recycled" because a post gets to keep "recycling" proceeds for MWR use while regular DRMO sales money goes to the Treasury, but its been stopped. if anyone does see cans being shredded they need to report it as fraud, waste and abuse.

What has caused the number of cans sold to drop a sharp bit is that they changed how a lot of ammo is packed. It used to be that there was one DODIC for 5.56, be it operational ammo or for training, and it all came packed in cans, in bandoleers and on strippers. Anyone who did range ammo details remobers unpacking its all and having all the dunnage piled up with the bandoleers.

Someone realized that when you know X amount of rounds are going to be fired for training, especially at places like Ft Jackson where its all training and no deploying units, it is downright stupid to waste money using ammo packed in cans and bandoleers. So a new DODIC was put out for the same ammo, but just packed in stripper in cardboard boxes with plastic bag overpack. It saved about $20 per thousand rounds fired.

But what that means is all those tens of millions of rounds don't come in ammo cans anymore, so those cans that don't get used don't get sold.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:15:23 PM EST
[#33]
Quoted:

YAY the XM8!
Awwwwww, no

YAY Strikers![

YAY an M4A1!

YAY new pistol!
Awwwwww,no

YAY new rucksack!

YAY new camo!

YAY new camo... again!

YAY OPORDS and doctrine!

View Quote

Are you a Transylvanian in Texas or Pennsylvanian in Texas?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:20:00 PM EST
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.

The steel tip of M855A1 reportedly scars/digs up the forward edge of "conventional" mags and the feed ramps; in our experience it isn't drastic.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:23:18 PM EST
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Magazines have always been a huge institutional problem in the military.  There is no real way to track wear and use, and units would rather not spend their funds on more magazines when they have a huge crate of them already sitting in supply.

This is a big issue when combined with regular training/operations like maneuver fires regularly beating up mags, shooting them in SAWs, prolonged use with M855A1, etc.  The vast majority of reliability issues with the M4 are magazine related and we have no means whatsoever to ensure we have good magazines, aside from completely replacing every one of them every fiscal year or two.

That's one of the main reasons im a big fan of Pmags.  They break completely when they fail, they don't slightly cant or bend.  No big crate of magazines sitting at the company with .003 micron shifts in the feedramps ready to cause double feeds.  

It breaks, and you throw it away.  If it hasn't broken, you keep it.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:23:56 PM EST
[#36]
Post title was misleading
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:28:38 PM EST
[#37]
Quoted:
The real question is, where do I find M855A1?
View Quote

embedded in your feed ramps

d'uh

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:28:47 PM EST
[#38]
I am a Pennsylvanian in Texas.  I learned on day one that the Texans don't like transplants referring to themselves as Texan.  I love Texas so it's a small price to pay.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:30:05 PM EST
[#39]
Quoted:

Cans are not being shredded. It happened at a few bases when post commanders tried to have everything metal 'recycled" because a post gets to keep "recycling" proceeds for MWR use while regular DRMO sales money goes to the Treasury, but its been stopped. if anyone does see cans being shredded they need to report it as fraud, waste and abuse.

What has caused the number of cans sold to drop a sharp bit is that they changed how a lot of ammo is packed. It used to be that there was one DODIC for 5.56, be it operational ammo or for training, and it all came packed in cans, in bandoleers and on strippers. Anyone who did range ammo details remobers unpacking its all and having all the dunnage piled up with the bandoleers.

Someone realized that when you know X amount of rounds are going to be fired for training, especially at places like Ft Jackson where its all training and no deploying units, it is downright stupid to waste money using ammo packed in cans and bandoleers. So a new DODIC was put out for the same ammo, but just packed in stripper in cardboard boxes with plastic bag overpack. It saved about $20 per thousand rounds fired.

But what that means is all those tens of millions of rounds don't come in ammo cans anymore, so those cans that don't get used don't get sold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was very informative!  Thank you!

It may also explain why all my recently purchased cans have sand in them.  Someone took the time to ship empty cans back to the US?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:34:23 PM EST
[#40]
Quoted:
I am a Pennsylvanian in Texas.  I learned on day one that the Texans don't like transplants referring to themselves as Texan.  I love Texas so it's a small price to pay.
View Quote

You're a liar. No Pennsylvanian would love Texas due to heat alone. The do fit well in regard to their large egos.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:34:30 PM EST
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:35:58 PM EST
[#42]
Quoted:

Some, mostly due to institutional retardation when it comes to maintenance. Most units act like throwing away old shitty mags is a mortal sin, then they wonder why they keep having problems, and start the "herp derp the M4 is a piece of shit".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some, mostly due to institutional retardation when it comes to maintenance. Most units act like throwing away old shitty mags is a mortal sin, then they wonder why they keep having problems, and start the "herp derp the M4 is a piece of shit".

In my day bad mags got accidentally boot stomped before being returned.....
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:40:41 PM EST
[#43]
Quoted:
Has old style M855/SS109 type ammo been totally phased out now?

When I was in the US last year shooting a match with the Guard, we got to shoot A1 ammo
It's very accurate

Last month the All Guard team were over here shooting CENTSAM and when they finished they shot off all their leftover A1 as they couldn't leave it here, because it's "Top Secret"
View Quote

No, theres shit tons of it around, going to be for years and years.

Even in Afghanistan this past year we had a ton of M855 that we separated for training and kept the A1 for operational use.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:42:15 PM EST
[#44]
Quoted:

That was very informative!  Thank you!

It may also explain why all my recently purchased cans have sand in them.  Someone took the time to ship empty cans back to the US?
View Quote

No, none get shipped back. You probably just got a little piece of Ft Bragg or Ft Benning.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:43:56 PM EST
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's plenty of sand in the US.  We turned in cans overseas and it all gets crushed and sold for scrap.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:44:43 PM EST
[#46]
The magazine feed ramps?  M16, M4 barrels have aluminum feed ramps?  

I didn't realize that magazines had feed ramps.  Barrels don't have aluminum feed ramps!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:47:08 PM EST
[#47]
Quoted:
The magazine feed ramps?  M16, M4 barrels have aluminum feed ramps?  

I didn't realize that magazines had feed ramps.  Barrels don't have aluminum feed ramps!!
View Quote

Receivers, M4 feed ramps

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:50:31 PM EST
[#48]

Quoted:

Has old style M855/SS109 type ammo been totally phased out now?

When I was in the US last year shooting a match with the Guard, we got to shoot A1 ammo

It's very accurate

Last month the All Guard team were over here shooting CENTSAM and when they finished they shot off all their leftover A1 as they couldn't leave it here, because it's "Top Secret"
View Quote
A few guys at Bragg told me "there's no green tip left. It's all that new stuff now" on base.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:00:34 PM EST
[#49]
Still learning the ins and outs of posting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:07:17 PM EST
[#50]
You are not kidding.

Things to hate about TX at a glance:

1) Climate
2) No trees, except East Texas
3) East Texas (just kidding, all TX is cool)
4) General lack of seasons (see number 1)
5) Plants that want to be inside of you and I don't mean edibles

Way more things to love about it though.  I promise.  PA will always be home in my heart but that doesn't stop TX from being an awesome place to be.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top