BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
JZ02

Many communities have volunteer Search and Rescue teams or Fire Departments where you can undergo similiar training with little or no cost to the participant.  Check with your local Fire or Police departments and they can tell you if such a program exists in your area.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
My opinion is that if you don't have the "time" to join the Guard and go to basic training, there are already other avenues avilable to you where you might be able to assist the country. Many states already have a State Guard , which is usually a step below the National Guard and gets activated if the National Guard gets called up. At all other times its a volunteer organization.
I believe there is still a nominal CD network in existence, plus there might be some capacity to assist in a local or even FEMA type organization in your community.
Lastly, perhaps you might be best utilized by joining a local volunteer organization such as the local fire company, search and rescue organization, etc. That way you can be helping the people around you on a frequent basis and getting some good training at the same time.
Everyone is busy, with little free time. Don't join something and then find out that you don't have time. The last thing an organization needs is a well-meaning person who joins and then cannot find the time to be there when needed. Volunteer fire companies can tell you all about that sort of thing. Evaluate your work schedule and determine how much free time and effort you really want to invest in helping your fellow citizens and neighbors.
I feel that the original concept, although  the thread-starter was well-meaning, is unneeded as another layer of government activity on top of what we already have.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd join if it was available. I like the ability to not take 8 weeks off for Basic Training, followed by 8 weeks or more for AIT. That has been my biggest drawback to the National Gaurd. As I am a student and the only time I have 8 weeks off is the Summer. I could go down every weekend if they wanted.
View Quote

Depends on what MOS you enlist under. You can also do a split enlistment, taking basic one summer and going to AIT the next year. Don't write off the Guard just because you can't fit it all in during one summer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt-653,

you've done an admirable job of explaining how this will help in the areas where are population is lacking, but my original question was the demand for such a program, not the need.  my point was that if the interest were there, the people would [b]already[/b] be doing things (at least one of the 6 that i mentioned) to promote a national defense by the citizenry.  in fact, that is not the case.  i'm not saying that the program wouldn't help.  i'm saying that there isn't enough demand for it, otherwise, we'd see more people doing those six things i mentioned (and that is by no means an all-inclusive list).

Overall I think it's every able bodied Americans duty to not only be a protector for the Country but for thier community as well.
View Quote

can't disagree with ya there.  but i don't think the majority of the population agrees with this viewpoint, as evidence by their over-reliance on others to do these basic things (EMTS for first aid/first response, LEOs for security, soldiers/sailors/etc for national defense).

i am in no way disparaging of the idea, but i think the demand for it (or i guess the lack thereof) is going to be a contributing factor, if not the main one, if it doesn't work out.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Update:

On Oct 23,2001 I received a letter from the office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense. Basically the letter stated that the program was a no go for various reasons.

Approximately three days later, I was contacted via e-mail by the DOD to explore the program further. I'm currently working on a complete syllabus and program update that will be submitted to the Defense Department at the end of this month.

I encourage anyone who is interested in seeing this program go to contact their representatives and ask them to implement it.

Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I would like to elaborate on the Civil Air Patrol.  In CAP, we (I am a Cadet) can train in Search and Rescue, Wilderness Survival, Radio, Marksmanship (if I play my cards right I might get to shoot an M-60)and Drill, which is the focus of our training.  In fact, there are 4 teenagers in my squadrons Color Guard who are more skilled than some of the local military Color Guards.  Also, obtaining the Mitchell Award (it takes 2 years if you try) earns you an enlistment bonus in the Air Force(E-3) and Army(E-2).  Bottom line is, it is a great program, for anyone 12 and up.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 21st century version of C.I.D.G. ?
View Quote

Do I have to burn shit ?....
                          'Dinky Dau'
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
considering the extent to which the liberals have taken over this country, about all your average American will do during a crisis is open up their check book. THat's right, throw money at it and the problem will go away.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would like to elaborate on the Civil Air Patrol.  In CAP, we (I am a Cadet) can train in Search and Rescue, Wilderness Survival, Radio, Marksmanship (if I play my cards right I might get to shoot an M-60)and Drill, which is the focus of our training.  In fact, there are 4 teenagers in my squadrons Color Guard who are more skilled than some of the local military Color Guards.  Also, obtaining the Mitchell Award (it takes 2 years if you try) earns you an enlistment bonus in the Air Force(E-3) and Army(E-2).  Bottom line is, it is a great program, for anyone 12 and up.  
View Quote

I went into the Army as an E-3 with the Mitchell Award.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#10]
It is my understanding (through About.com) that Army enlistment with the Mitchell is as an E-3, but I know for a fact that at one time a CAP cadet with another, higher award, could join the Air Force as an E-4.  This has changed.  Perhaps I am mistaken, or perhaps the enlistment bonus for the army has changed in recent years.  The next meeting is in early Jan., I'll try to remember to ask.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok I'm bumping this up because I'm sick and tired of the Federal Government not doing anything to truly protect us. I've been getting the run around on this program from lower level Shitheads in DOD and the White House who were on duty or appointed during Clinton's terms in office. Till we get rid of Clinton's leftovers nothing is going to get done.  

I understand we have the National Guard( Always seem to be off shore or under-funded) as well as various federal agencies like INS, FBI, DOT, but we run into the same problem as above. Until we get rid of the Clinton appointees were screwed.

Israel has a civilian Defense force, as doe countries like Switzerland and most of Europe.  It's time we make our voices known that the average citizen needs to learn the basic skills necessary to protect themselves and their community before its too late.

Ok enough of my soap box.

Let me know your thoughts via the board or e-mail and lets try to push this or something like it through.

Thanks for you help
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#12]
It's not the Clinton leftovers.  It's the way government works.  They looked at your idea to see what kinda dollars they could squeeze out of it.  Funding and budgets are what it's all about in Washington D.C.  

Remember when the Office of Home Defense was created?  Everyone was saying the office was pointless because the director didn't have control of a budget.  That's what power is in the Capitol.  If you could have figured out a way that funding would be directed somehow to certain Congressional districts for contractors, construction, jobs, etc, you're project would have flown through the Penetegon.

Right now it will remain languishing until some guy dreams up a way to modify it to get funding for some project.  Even in wartime (maybe even more so) funding is what programs are all about.

We have a plethora of agencies whose areas (and budgets) this would crowd in on.  Unless you find an agency to sponser it (because it would get them funding) your USNDF won't be born.  You will find resistance to your idea at every level, because it endangers existing programs.  

Aside from my cynical look at the reasons you're getting jerked around, here are a few others:

By your own admission, people won't volunteer because they don't want to disrupt they "fat, dumb and happy" jobs and lives.  You're more than correct.  Anyone who is willing to volunteer probably already has.  If the govt establishes a USNDF for the volunteers, then what happens to all those non-USNDF folks who have volunteered?  More importantly, what happens to all the federal grants that go along with those positions?   While many volunteers cost their govt nothing, their existance can bring state and fed dollars to that agency.  Again, funding rears it's ugly head.  

What exactly does the USNDF do that is not already being done?  The fact is, there is nothing that the USNDF does that isn't already duplicated by a government agency or NGO (and getting their funding) already.  

The militia concept will never return as long as airplanes cost millions and ships cost billions.  There's too much money in a large standing Army.  

If you want your idea to fly I would take it to FEMA.  I would somehow rework it as a way to get more funding into FEMA, but get that funding on a local level program, similar to the way local agencies get materiel from the fed as surplus.  Make it a FEMA(or whomever) sponsered deal to get money flowing into the cities and states.  Then you'll have not only evey mayor trying to get a pice of the action, but every Congress critter going along with it because it will bring visible money to their districts.  The fact that it won't cost much for the political capital is even a better bargin.

You also need to forget the idea of dealing with the bueacracy.  Get in with some Congress critters.  They control the money, they are the power.  You're trying to sell your idea to the wrong people.  You don't sell a copier to the secratary.  You sell it to the owner.  The guy who has the money, need and authority.  That's a politician in your case, not a buearacrat.

Ross
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top