Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
GEErnst:

HA. Let's just ignore what the founders said shall we? And ignore that pesty little clause " the right of the people to keep and bear arms" too, huh?

How about this:

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)
 "The right of the people to keep and bear arms has been recognized by the General Government; but the best security of that right after all is, the military spirit, that taste for martial exercises, which has always distinguished the free citizens of these States....Such men form the best barrier to the liberties of America" - (Gazette of the United States, October 14, 1789.) 
"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves... and include all men capable of bearing arms." (Richard Henry Lee) 
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." (George Mason) 
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States" (Noah Webster) 
"...if raised, whether they could subdue a Nation of freemen, who know how to prize liberty, and who have arms in their hands?" (Delegate Sedgwick, during the Massachusetts Convention, rhetorically asking if an oppressive standing army could prevail) 
"...but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people, while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in discipline and use of arms, who stand ready to defend their rights..." (Alexander Hamilton) 
"As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms." (Tench Coxe) 
"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people" (Tench Coxe) 
"The prohibition is general. No clause in the Constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give to Congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretense by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both." [William Rawle) 
"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason)
"The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams) 

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
cont

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee) 
"The great object is that every man be armed" and "everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry) 
"The people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in full possession of them." (Zachariah Johnson)
"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" (Patrick Henry) 
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." (Alexander Hamilton) 
"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of The United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..." (Samuel Adams)
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --(Thomas Jefferson) 
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable ... The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" (George Washington) 
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks.(Thomas Jefferson) 
"The supposed quietude of a good mans allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside...Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them..." (Thomas Paine,) 

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
cont.

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas)
"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them. And yet, though this truth would seem so clear, and the importance of a well regulated militia would seem so undeniable, it cannot be disguised, that among the American people there is a growing indifference to any system of militia discipline, and a strong disposition, from a sense of its burdens, to be rid of all regulations. How it is practicable to keep the people duly armed without some organization, it is difficult to see. There is certainly no small danger, that indifference may lead to disgust, and disgust to contempt; and thus gradually undermine all the protection intended by this clause of our national bill of rights." (Joseph Story)

I think that sums it up pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
It will not happen. At least not in Koffi Anan's lifetime.

Do you all believe that the gun Industry will survive with military only sales?

BTW. The UN are fucking commies.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:45:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oh, lord, GEErnst.

I'll just flush this bird so you all know where he's coming from. GEErnst is the primary poster on the potomac institute's boards -- essentially, people migrate in there and yell at him every so often.
View Quote

They yell but they do not prove any points.

The "Potomac Institute" is a "communitarian" group
View Quote

The communitarians are a lost cause.
http://www.potomac-inc.org/398respc.html

that has openly espoused an ideology directly contrary to individual freedom -- essentially, they think that the "Tyrrany of the Majority" is a good thing. Just to let you know where this guy is coming from, here's a quote from the front of their webpage:
View Quote

The rule of law is a good thing.  By the standards here it is directly opposed to individual freedom.
http://www.potomac-inc.org/emerarg.html
http://www.potomac-inc.org/597intro.html

Don't trust these folks further than you can throw them. The only difference between these folks and the Million Commie Mommmies is that these folks are more open and honest about their totalitarianism  -- and their totalitarian fantasy.
View Quote

See if you can find anyone among the MMoms or any others in the trigger lock lobby who has ever heard of US v. Emerson, knows what the Militia Act of 1792 authorized, or has read Federalist Paper No. 46.  I can't.  

GEErnst
http://www.potomac-inc.org/index.html

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:56:22 AM EDT
[#6]
GEErnst, it appears you're been outed. Do us all a favor and take a hike sonny.

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
GEErnst, you are a perfect example of the [i]worship[/i] of worldly government and law.  Read my posting entitled "The Mark of the Beast Revealed".  The 2nt Amendment was written as a result of people escaping tyranny and oppression, and the inability to fight back.  It was written in reaction and knowledge of countless times in history, where disarmament was the predecessor to a tyrannical government’s takeover and abuse's.  

Here's a link for you...
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=24212#lastPost[/url]

When an individuals right to own a firearm is stripped away, it makes tyrants feel more comfortable in being a tyrant. I guess you would like to speed up that process?  Because you live in america, and are safe for the moment from tyranny, you think that disarming the citizen is the final phase of peace perfected.  [i]You think and act like the fool![/i]  You pave the way for tyranny, and work feverishly to remove the safetys and roadblocks that deter the formation of tyranny. You think that tyranny, opression and inhuman treatment is limited to 3rd world countries and communist nations?!?! You think like a FOOL if you think that!    There is one constant that has not changed since the beginning of time....human spirit.  If you trust the leaders and governments who disarm you, not to act on their human spirit(James 4:4-6 The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy), [i][red]THEN YOU ARE A FOOL![/i][/red]  

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:59:27 AM EDT
[#8]
NWO? 2 words...... MOLON LABE........

As an afterthought (FLAME SUIT ON...TWICE)...I bet the Klan and the Neo Nazis are LOOSIN their minds over the UN deal....

As America turns into a brown country, Kofi (A TRUE AFRICAN) prepares to take over the WORLD......

That aint no chicken comin home to roost, thats Godzilla!
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Is that a Troll I smell?

GEErnst:

Sell your propaganda elsewhere, no one here is buying. We do not need you to "explain" our rights to us, all of us here understand them and from where they are derived. The intent of the second amendment has been well documented by its writers, you have no ground to stand on...
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:32:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
im luckie im LE and i can have evil weapons but some of my fellow board members i wont be searching very hard if a t all when the time comes
View Quote

No offense to ya but you have it all wrong. You will be one of the first to go if you don't march in step. You have it all upside down.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
GEErnst:

HA. Let's just ignore what the founders said shall we? And ignore that pesty little clause " the right of the people to keep and bear arms" too, huh?

How about this:
View Quote

This discussion began with Federalist Paper No. 46 and how the words in full context do not support the right of the NRA's "armed citizen guerrillas" to be armed outside of the law.
http://www.potomac-inc.org/emerappi.html

None of the quotes do.

All discussion in the early Republic regarding the right to keep and bear arms was about the right in the context of the militia institution.  Militia duty was conscript duty.  The regular army was not.  The public had a claim on private arms for public purposes. The militia was an opposing concept and institution to the regular army as some of the quotes indicate.  The militia died a natural death by the 1830s.  No militia no militia rights.  The true legacy of the militia and Second Amendment rights is in the 20th century selective service acts which combined the citizen soldiers of the conscript militia with the volunarily enlisted professional soldiers of the regular army.
You and the rest of the people have a right to be conscripted into the armed services rather than be excluded as suspect in loyal and worthiness like Indians, slaves, women, and in some cases Irish, Scots and Jews.

Some of the quotes provided have been exposed as not supporting the purpose claimed today for the benefit of the Fifth Circuit in US v. Emerson in the amicus briefs in support of the government,
http://www.potomac-inc.org/emeramic.html

We will find out if the judges are paying attention.

Others have been examined at
http://www.potomac-inc.org/thequotes.html

You need not worry, the unfounded belief system has been embraced at the highest levels of government.
http://wmsa.net/ashcroft.htm
You don't have to worry that Ashcroft's belief system or your belief system will be examined and exposed in the "rabid antigun" Washington Post or challenged by the Million Moms.

GEErnst

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top