Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Uh no.  They take no oath of loyalty to the US Constitution.  They fight for the highest bidder.  Mercs have a bad reputation for a reason.  

They are all for themselves and will cut your delicate throat for enough credits.  The above question about them taking your weapons and shooting your dog is a very valid point.  Think about it.

lol

Man, it isn't the 1960s and we're not in Katanga.

And I agree with Combat_Jack.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as its not out of my pocket and its all private I could care less if that's how they can make money and employ people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]
And this is bad how?

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mercs have a bad reputation for a reason.  

They are all for themselves and will cut your delicate throat for enough credits.  The above question about them taking your weapons and shooting your dog is a very valid point.  Think about it.

Before I think about it, I'd like you to do a bit of research and tell us why exactly you think mercs have a bad reputation.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Soldiers loyal only to a paycheck.
What if ATF/UN hired them to confiscate your guns?

A brigade is going to confiscate guns NATIONWIDE?    There are more bodies in your average high school.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Internet commandoes will sign up in droves.

They may put together a brigade-sized bunch of guys, but they will not have the capability of an army brigade.  

Why do you think they will hire internet commandos? There is no reason, BTW, that they can't put together a group as skilled and well trained as a military battalion. It is doubtful that they would have the same organic airborne, artillery and logistics capabilities though.

I didn't say they'd hire them,  I said they'd apply.  Internet commandos have really inflated ideas of their worth in a real enviroment.  For every good troop they'll get a 100 guys that play Delta Force.

Seriously, you're not going to do much with a brigade. Even if they could come up with the $$ to outfit them beyond individual weapons and such, it's just not that many bodies.   Static defense, security missions, working in a low threat enviroment with unorganised opposition is going to be about it.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They may put together a brigade-sized bunch of guys, but they will not have the capability of an army brigade.  

Yeah.  They are hiring all those 'internet commandos' today after all.  If they were I'd be signed up and be shipping out tomorrow.  Somehow I'm sure my background in MODCC shoots and range time at the local pistol range is not all that is required to get a job.

ETA: There are capabilties they'll lack but do you honestly think they couldn't put together an effective fighting force?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can just imagine the great intel they get before an operation too.  

You mean like from the private intel companies that exist? Hell, you'll get better intel from a private company often than from the CIA, who sometimes decides that they just don't feel like doing something when ordered to?

The irony is Cofer Black ran the CTC for the 12 years prior to 9-11, after which Dubya canned him for that great intel he developed on AlQaeda... thus making him available for hire at BW.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a brilliant concept.  Award an IDIQ contract to Blackwater.  If a low intensity situation breaks out then you just issue a task order for a package deal and off they go, to handle the conflict.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The talk of Mercs in the air means one thing--UN doesn't work that well

Time to dust off the FAL and get the crossbow out for practice
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Where do I sign up?

Seriously, unemployment sucks so bad that I am about ready to go back to Iraq.  Been there once already and survived...one more time around the block???
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why did they not like the term "mercenary"?

They didn't like the negative connotations and, as "contractors" to the US government and private companies in a defensive/security role, thought the term didn't apply.

Who didnt, the Blackwater Mercenaries or the Arfcommers?  Wheres simplydynamic at?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A brigade is going to confiscate guns NATIONWIDE?    There are more bodies in your average high school.

So youve got a 2.5k man force against how many millions of gun owners?  I dont think so Tim.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't know that they would be loyal only to a paycheck. BW hires mostly ex military types, who still consider themselves American soldiers, just.....for a different organization.

Uh no.  They take no oath of loyalty to the US Constitution.  They fight for the highest bidder.  Mercs have a bad reputation for a reason.  

If you are familiar with history you no doubt know mercenaries have existed since ancient Egypt and still exists even flourish today.  For 5,000+ years they have existed and the same concern has been said since antiquity, they are only loyal to the highest bidder.  

If this were true the majority of the time would mercs still exist?  NO!  

Will they kill for a check, yes!  
Will they fight for a cause they do not believe in or care about, yes!
Do they often flip sides for a better check, NO!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.greystone-ltd.com/
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Anyone looking for work?  

HH
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. firm offers 'private armies' for low-intensity conflicts

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Wednesday, March 29, 2006

AMMAN — A leading U.S. security firm has offered to provide forces for any counter-insurgency mission around the world.

J. Cofer Black, vice chairman of Blackwater USA told the Special Operations Forces Exhibition (Sofex-2006), that his company could supply private soldiers to any country. Black, a former U.S. State Department counter-terrorism coordinator, said Blackwater has been marketing the concept of private armies for low-intensity conflicts.

"About a year ago, we realized we could do it," Black said.
Blackwater has been a leading private security firm in Iraq. The company provides thousands of foreign and Iraqi personnel for government and private security missions.

In his presentation in Amman, Jordan, on March 27, Black said Blackwater could supply peace-keeping forces. He said the company was capable of providing a brigade-sized force on alert.

One option, Black said, was for Blackwater to provide forces for Sudan's Darfour province. He said the company could bolster existing peace-keeping forces from the African Union.

"I believe there is a contribution to be made by a small force," Black said. "The issue is who's going to let us play on their team?"

Black said Blackwater would not participate in conventional military operations. He said he has discussed his concept with the United States and NATO.

"There is clear potential to conduct security operations at a fraction of the coast of NATO operations," Black said. "It's unusual and that's why I'm raising it. This is not what you do if your objective is more money."

I told you mother fuckers they were MERCS!!!!
and anyone who reamed me a new one can kiss my ass!

Some team member search the archives and post a link please
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Anyone looking for work?  

HH
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. firm offers 'private armies' for low-intensity conflicts

Now who wrote this headline? The Blackwater guys, or the reporter? Do you think that a reporter who most likely has an agenda is giving an unbiased account here? Doubtful, as his own story shows.

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Wednesday, March 29, 2006

AMMAN — A leading U.S. security firm has offered to provide forces for any counter-insurgency mission around the world.

J. Cofer Black, vice chairman of Blackwater USA told the Special Operations Forces Exhibition (Sofex-2006), that his company could supply private soldiers to any country. Black, a former U.S. State Department counter-terrorism coordinator, said Blackwater has been marketing the concept of private armies for low-intensity conflicts.

Anyone care to take bets on whether or not this Blackwater official actually used the words "private soldiers" and "private armies"??? Hmm???? I doubt it. In fact, I doubt it SO much, that I will buy a gold membership for one year to the person who can prove definitavely that Mr. Black used those words...

Black said Blackwater would not participate in conventional military operations. He said he has discussed his concept with the United States and NATO.

That right there, folks, is the key.

What Mr. Black is talking about is EXACTLY the same as what BW is doing in Iraq. No more. Again, let us hear Mr. Black's words on the subject instead of the reporter's bias:

"There is clear potential to conduct security operations at a fraction of the cost of NATO operations," Black said. "It's unusual and that's why I'm raising it. This is not what you do if your objective is more money."

Again, folks, don't believe the press.

The Blackwater folks DID NOT describe this as a "private army". The REPORTER did. And that is expected from idiot reporters.

I see absolutely NOTHING in this story to indicate that BW has gone mercenary and is building a brigade they can sell to the highest bidder for whatever reason. They are doing what they have ALWAYS been doing: Providing highly trained security personnel for specific types of missions.

In other words, if you need a food depot kept out of the hands of tribal warlords, call Blackwater. If, however, you need someone to go on a raid and capture the warlord and his top lieutenants, you better call somebody else.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:47:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
GO ARFCOM! When did we volunteer?

Got a military resume including SF, Ranger, MP, or light infantry experience?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:49:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
How big is a brigade ?

3-4 batallions of 3-4 companies of 3-4 platoons of 39 soldiers per, plus officers....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:54:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

They principly hire retired Army folks who like the job but don't want to deal with the political side of the Army, or similar...

Of course, the downside is that you loose the more 'advanced' support available from the Army - no more 'pick-up-radio-call-Aviation/Armor/Arty/Air Force-watch-target-go-boom'.....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:59:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would do it, mercs or not. they get paid big time money. I  just wonder if they can carry the serious gear for combat. I would hate to think they would be sent on peace keeping with just a rifle. that could get ugly.just some light gear would do, mortors or armor vehicals V-150s would work(even those out dated) I would just have to see the gear and how they operate. just because you have a bunch of gun ho type together. does not mean  it will work. too many chiefs not enought indians so to speak.

I don't see why BW would not have those things.

Also, you get what you pay for, if the country doesn't want to pay for armor, then they don't get armor.  

Though, I would think that BW would basicly sell it as a package and you don't realy get to pick and choose like that.

So where would they get, store, and practice with this equipment?

The govt. wouldn't let a private citizen own a mortar or the other items needed for a mercenary unit, so would they be allowed to have it on US soil?

Private citizens CAN own mortars, at $200 per tube & $200 per non-training round (Eg anything with a payload).... Same for howitzers, and any other single-shot artillery piece....

But Blackwater also has MP5s, and all kinds of other shiny new full-auto toys normal civillians can't own... They're an international corporation - they can buy all the weapons they want on the international arms market, or have weapons supplied by the client state... They probably have a manufacturer or some special-level FFL to keep things on the level with the ATF...

Fuck, they could probably buy their own private island 200mi off the US coast, to use as a training range... Not like they're not rolling in cash from recent operations....

Considering WHO Blackwater hires, 1 brigade could be worth a whole lot more than it's innate strength if integrated with indigenous forces (eg train/advise/provide experienced leadership, ala US SF)....

P.S. Mercs aren't just for 3rd world shithole governments & private corporations requiring a 'secure' business environment... They're very convenient for jobs that major powers want done without the political issues of a direct military or intellegence-agency committment... I'm sure there are folks at CIA & MI6 who will be arranging contracts if this keeps going.... You don't think that DeBeers & the local govts were financing EO without help from any major power, do you?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:00:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I told you mother fuckers they were MERCS!!!!

Yes you did! Knowing absolutely nothing about them, you told us all about how they were mercs. You were saying silly stuff then, and you are saying it again here.

and anyone who reamed me a new one can kiss my ass!

Why? Because some idiot reporter used the words "private army"???

As I have already pointed out, your "I told you" comments are based on the spin provided by an idiot reporter who doesn't have a clue what the heck he is talking about. The Blackwater people NEVER classified their proposal as being a "private army" for hire.

If you can prove that they did, I will buy you a gold team membership for a year.

Some team member search the archives and post a link please

Why? So people can hear your tinfoil and black helicopter posts get shot down by people who actually know what they are talking about?

Hell, why not!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=439211

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=439716&page=1

Are you going to blame this post on cold medicine too??
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't know that they would be loyal only to a paycheck. BW hires mostly ex military types, who still consider themselves American soldiers, just.....for a different organization.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Maybe we can all chip in and hire BW to patrol the US / Mexico border.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Anyone care to take bets on whether or not this Blackwater official actually used the words "private soldiers" and "private armies"??? Hmm???? I doubt it. In fact, I doubt it SO much, that I will buy a gold membership for one year to the person who can prove definitavely that Mr. Black used those words...

So when I heard the owner of BW make repeated references in my presence to the AOB and Army of Blackwater I was mistaken? Now I can't prove it, because I didn't tape it, but it happened.

I am more than willing to believe that the words private soldiers were used as was private army. International security consultants is as absurd as it is cumbersome to say.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I can see some Foreign Policy issues. What if Country "A" tries to hire BW but the DoS has a different and classified position on how they really feel about Country "A"?

Would deploying US based (origin) forces require Export approval?

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I can see some Foreign Policy issues. What if Country "A" tries to hire BW but the DoS has a different and classified position on how they really feel about Country "A"?

DoS could just deny their export stuff for their equipment. Or if they want to keep it quiet they could just delay the paperwork.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
So when I heard the owner of BW make repeated references in my presence to the AOB and Army of Blackwater I was mistaken? Now I can't prove it, because I didn't tape it, but it happened.

Where were you when you heard this? How long have you known the owner?

I am more than willing to believe that the words private soldiers were used as was private army. International security consultants is as absurd as it is cumbersome to say.

It may be easier to say.

But the people involved understand fully that certain words have certain consequences for their use. I sincerly doubt those words were ever used.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
They principly hire retired Army folks who like the job but don't want to deal with the political side of the Army, or similar...

Of course, the downside is that you loose the more 'advanced' support available from the Army - no more 'pick-up-radio-call-Aviation/Armor/Arty/Air Force-watch-target-go-boom'.....

BW does have their own light helicopters and some cargo aircraft.  This isn't a lot compared to 155 tubes or Apaches, but better than nothing. Also, there's some companies out there that do have Hinds and stuff, so if they needed chopper support they could find it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Where were you when you heard this? How long have you known the owner?

I don't know him at all. He was sitting at the same table as me and several others in Baghdad having a beer.

But the people involved understand fully that certain words have certain consequences for their use. I sincerly doubt those words were ever used.

Doubt away. Reality is what it is.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Im a pretty good Spec-Ops in Battlefield 2, do I qualify?

+1 C4 is your friend!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would deploying US based (origin) forces require Export approval?

Bomber

With the amount of money BW makes off of US contracts I doubt they would consider taking any work that the DoS would disapprove of.

+1 Uncle Sam is their biggest supporter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:48:30 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Dont be surprised if you see that in the near future.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#37]
If you could attend Blackwater Academy without prior military experience, then I'd go sign up.

# Applicants must, at a minimum, have completed a four year tour of duty in the Armed Forces or its equivalent as determined by the admissions review board.

So I'll just have to keep saving up and attend one class at a time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:34:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Blackwater was being paid by a contract that the US government provided.
I would say if they start accepting money from foreign govements to send private armies.
I think that is mercenary work. but Iam not saying that there is anything wrong with it.
Just call it what it is.

They already do this.....
UAE is just one, who knows who else they get "work" from.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#39]
A free market is a free market. Look at it this way, US companies outsource their call centers because of the cheap English speaking labor near big telecom lines. The rest of the world outsources its security needs to the USA because we have the best weapons tech and the best trained professional soldiers. We all benefit indirectly because the peace allows us to maintain our unbalanced economy.

I think Blackwater or the other contractors aren't technically allowed to have and use NFA stuff since they aren't a government LE agency and I'm pretty sure "supplying our own private army" isn't allowed under a manufacturer FFL. But Section 3 of HR 5005, (still making its way through the system) clarifies the statute to allow private contractors to get the fun stuff for reasons of national security.

I don't have any problems with the M word, but I can understand why it has negative connotations for some people. But the "progressive/liberal" side of the sphere has been calling ALL of the contractors "mercenaries" even before the tragedy 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is a big departure from just doing security work.
Reminds me of Executive Outcomes.

They're creeping dangerously close to the "M" word and anybody working for Blackwater will have to deal with that.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I hate to break it to you but this puts them squarely in the definition of the "M" word fellas.

No kidding. Are their loyalties to the guy with the biggest bank account?
- What rules do they fall under in terms of Laws of Land Warfare and Geneva Convention and all that other crap?
- If they were allowed to do this, whats stopping the US from using an anonymous person to contract them to do stuff that would normally be frowned upon by our allies? "Wasn't us... it was the merc... er, Blackwater folks. We didn't pay them to do it... really."
- Isn't that essentially contract killing on a larger scale? What's to stop a homeowners association from hiring Blackwater to take out the local meth lab or dealers or whatever?

Quoted:

Quoted:
What if both sides want to hire them?

Bidding war? (Low intensity of course)

That's why there is a Buy It Now option... skip all the bidding nonsense.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#41]
The .gov has allowed PMCs to take care of business that we couldn't get involved in.  Training troops in countries that we can't go to, etc.  It can work well for us.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#42]

Article: Need an Army? Just Pick Up the Phone
Newspaper: New York Times, April 2, 2004
By Barry Yeoman

"Gary Jackson, the president of Blackwater, envisions a day when any country faced with peacekeeping duties will simply call him and place an order. 'I would like to have the largest, most professional private army in the world,' he told me."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/02/opinion/02YEOM.html?ex=1081912176&ei=1&en=bce2ecd0c21b8bb4

ho
- Blackwater website
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Already in the works, sort of....i'm keeping my eyes and ears out for this project and i'm there!!!  BW actually was proposing to train BP Agents not do the actual patrols.  I am actually hoping tht changes if anything comes of it.  There is also rumor of BW providing PSD teams for the engineers and surveyors who will be working down on the border.

Some of the posters in this thread must have had their brains confiscated, their firearms are still safe though.  I am a IC for Blackwater, I do NOT like the statement in the story at all.  This is my second contract, both  contracts are/were for our US govt.  As will any contract I accept.

I've never met these cuthroat operators who only run for the money.  Interesting that so many others have...  

This crap about contractors really pisses me off.  All of us have served our country faithfully and proudly, get it?  We believe in further supporting our country and pursue it in the form of contracting.  It is NOT about the money at all.  It is nice to be compensated adequately for your risks but money is not at the top of the list for contrct concerns.

Threads like this make me ashamed to even visit ARFcom... (for the most part).

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Already in the works, sort of....i'm keeping my eyes and ears out for this project and i'm there!!!  BW actually was proposing to train BP Agents not do the actual patrols.  I am actually hoping tht changes if anything comes of it.  There is also rumor of BW providing PSD teams for the engineers and surveyors who will be working down on the border.

Some of the posters in this thread must have had their brains confiscated, their firearms are still safe though.  I am a IC for Blackwater, I do NOT like the statement in the story at all.  This is my second contract, both  contracts are/were for our US govt.  As will any contract I accept.

I've never met these cuthroat operators who only run for the money.  Interesting that so many others have...  

This crap about contractors really pisses me off.  All of us have served our country faithfully and proudly, get it?  We believe in further supporting our country and pursue it in the form of contracting.  It is NOT about the money at all.  It is nice to be compensated adequately for your risks but money is not at the top of the list for contrct concerns.

Threads like this make me ashamed to even visit ARFcom... (for the most part).

ARFCOM is like any other place with almost 100,000 people. Within that crowd are some knowledgable people, some people who know things but don't talk much, some people who recognize the limits of their knowledge on certain topics, and some people whose mouth runs constantly whether they have a clue or not.

The tinfoil types make up a small but vocal minority. Usually after a while you learn to ignore them.

Don't let it bother you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I am a IC for Blackwater

Hey, got a question. Your IA guys. Are they all ex-military, or do you get civilian intel types?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
ARFCOM is like any other place with almost 100,000 people. Within that crowd are some knowledgable people, some people who know things but don't talk much, some people who recognize the limits of their knowledge on certain topics, and some people whose mouth runs constantly whether they have a clue or not.

The tinfoil types make up a small but vocal minority. Usually after a while you learn to ignore them.

Don't let it bother you.

Yeah, Blackwater are patriotic mercenaries with a heart.  They need laws to make them a special class of citizen who have rights the regular citizens can't be trusted with.

I need to join the Blackwater Mercenary Cheerleader Assn. on the site.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Several PSD teams are operating along the border right now. But they are not chasing illegals.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Hey, got a question. Your IA guys. Are they all ex-military, or do you get civilian intel types?

Never met any of them, so i'm not sure....but i'm pretty confident they are either of MI background or similar backgrounds from FBI/CIA, etc...  You're in Virginia, close by Moyock, give 'em a call and inquire.  It never hurts to ask!  You do NOT have to be a Seal to work for them, i'm not!

Oh, and heard some scuttlebutt that these low intensity details would be mostly manned by non-US personnel.  That would keep the cost down also for lower budget restraints.  They can do what they like, if I don't see an Old Glory behind me, they can keep it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top