Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This site is full of the some of the most boring, risk adverse, compulsive rule followers I've ever seen.

Two adventurers got in over their heads and paid for it with their lives.  It doesn't mean they were idiots or deserved to die.  Life must be awfully boring when you never peel your ass from the lazy boy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How do you know they are already dead?

Maybe they found an air pocket in the cave.

You can't just stand on the surface and look into the water and say "yep, it's been 3-4 hours and them boys be dead for sure"

People in rescue work take those risks all the time. They know what's at risk when they take the job. I'm sure for a lot of them it's an adrenalin rush just like it was for those 2 divers. Thank God we have folks like that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I assume they just leave the bodies down there?

Like the sign says, there's nothing in these caves worth dying for.

Why jeopardize a recovery diver for some asshole who is already dead?

You can't just stand on the surface and look into the water and say "yep, it's been 3-4 hours and them boys be dead for sure"

People in rescue work take those risks all the time. They know what's at risk when they take the job. I'm sure for a lot of them it's an adrenalin rush just like it was for those 2 divers. Thank God we have folks like that.

They swam past the sign and didn't come back up.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

lol

There's a difference between adventure and stupidity.  People who know the difference are often much better at staying alive than those who do not.

99% of people who die while SCUBA diving , do so because they exercised poor judgment, or were diving way past their abilities or skills set.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This site is full of the some of the most boring, risk adverse, compulsive rule followers I've ever seen.

Two adventurers got in over their heads and paid for it with their lives.  It doesn't mean they were idiots or deserved to die.  Life must be awfully boring when you never peel your ass from the lazy boy.

lol

There's a difference between adventure and stupidity.  People who know the difference are often much better at staying alive than those who do not.

99% of people who die while SCUBA diving , do so because they exercised poor judgment, or were diving way past their abilities or skills set.

Tell me about your latest adventure.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

WHOA! Where is that?!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One day I might get to see something like this.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/clinck/14706750_10101289752808845_7693724567017256222_o_zpsl3etsmgt.jpg

One of those three taught my nitrox class.

WHOA! Where is that?!

From the caption... "Beleriand Tunnel at Twin Dees Spring". They/He post pictures like this quite a bit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In before 'they died doing what they loved'?

(Though drowning in pitch black caves seems like a strange thing to love.)
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I guess that's the good thing about skydiving.

You're never really lost.
View Quote

And if you have a problem, you've got the rest of your life to figure it out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s11.postimg.org/fabhmujlf/397_CEBB000000578_3844630_image_a_1_1476800346562.jpg

Your point?  Those are posted at the mouth of numerous underwater caves where divers have countless uneventful dives every year.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In before 'they died doing what they loved'?

(Though drowning in pitch black caves seems like a strange thing to love.)
View Quote

I've been caving for ~15 years and still get the willies whenever I have to go underwater to get to the next room. Take an inherently dangerous activity and add a life support system to it. As far as I know, there has been exactly 1 cave dive rescue where the victim survived, and that was because an incredibly experienced cave diver just happened to be nearby.

How long do you have to fix a problem when cave diving? The rest of your life.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Your point?  Those are posted at the mouth of numerous underwater caves where divers have countless uneventful dives every year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://s11.postimg.org/fabhmujlf/397_CEBB000000578_3844630_image_a_1_1476800346562.jpg

Well, then I digress. Happy adventuring. I can't wait to read about your exciting adventures in the obituary column.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I assumed it would be a couple of 20-something idiots, but I guess not. RIP.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, then I digress. Happy adventuring. I can't wait to read about your exciting adventures in the obituary column.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a fucked up thing to say
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Conversely, this site is full of guys who are alive to make fun of morons who play outside their experience level. Tough fucking shit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each their own.  I have no doubt that if that day comes, you'll be reading it from the comfort of your lazy boy.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#15]

HELL NO!

I guess it is not much different than wanting to jump out of airplanes, extreme skiing, wingsuit jumping, free climbing, etc.  

You want to do shit like that you have to understand that if something goes wrong it may very well kill you.  That's what some people love I guess.  

I'm not one of them.

But Sum Bitch...cave diving is on top of my HELL NO list!

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries.  Too busy over here being awesome for that kind of shit to bother me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty easy-to-understand sign, although why do they have Death taunting the reader? "C'mon pussy, show me what you got." Maybe that only encourages some people.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I've seen a few more posts and pics by him in SCUBA subforum than you...
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/clinck/14706750_10101289752808845_7693724567017256222_o_zpsl3etsmgt.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did.  It was Peacock Springs, part of the same complex of springs/caverns/caves.  It was about 8X that volume.  Depth:  120 feet at the bottom of the cave, and 20 feet at the top, and a solid 80 feet across.

My buddy and I had no business being there.  It was totally worth it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You don't say...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you figure that? Theres a world of difference between engaging in high risk activities and engaging in high risk activities for which you have planned for.

Cave diving can be safe. Diving comes down to 1 simple rule, and by God DO NOT BREAK THAT RULE.

PLAN the dive, DIVE the plan. Period.

I dont know the story here, but I have a sneaking suspicion the idea to go exploring was a on the fly. If they really were experienced cave divers, they wouldnt have died because they would have followed the hard and fast rule of diving.

You don't say...

With the caveat "I dont need to".

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck do you know what? Its not an elephant.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Different cave, lots of nope.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well what do you want me to say? If he isn't going to pay any head to warnings of imminent death then there isn't much else to say.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#24]
The sign has a picture of the reaper on it.

Just sayin'
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s49.photobucket.com/user/clinck/media/14706750_10101289752808845_7693724567017256222_o_zpsl3etsmgt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/clinck/14706750_10101289752808845_7693724567017256222_o_zpsl3etsmgt.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s49.photobucket.com/user/clinck/media/14706750_10101289752808845_7693724567017256222_o_zpsl3etsmgt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/clinck/14706750_10101289752808845_7693724567017256222_o_zpsl3etsmgt.jpg</a>

I was just looking at that thread over on the Cave divers forum this morning.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Almost as retarded as that tard that died upside down stuck in nutty putty.
View Quote

Wut?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Sometimes I think this site is sinking to new depths.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#28]
that sucks

can not be a pleasant death

but they ignored the warning

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sometimes I think this site is sinking to new depths.
View Quote

That's deep.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe the reaper image should be made larger...with more skulls and blood and stuff?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm not the one acting like a badass and calling people pussies.

Why don't YOU enlighten all of us in this thread about your amazing and death-defying adventures.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I'm not the one acting like a badass and calling people pussies.

Why don't YOU enlighten all of us in this thread about your amazing and death-defying adventures.

Show me where I called anyone a pussy.  I simply stated the truth...that there are some boring motherfuckers on here.  If someone's idea of big adventure is hitting up Chili's on Friday night that's great, but don't disparage those that got in over their heads living life to the fullest.  That shit happens here all the time and just rubs me the wrong way.  I suppose I need thicker skin.

My latest adventure?  Sunrise scramble up a front range 14er.  Nothing spectacular but I was on my way out of town for business that evening and it was all I could squeeze in.  You?

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

As I said earlier in this thread, I'm just a lowly PADI open water guy.  I haven't dived since Curacao in 2006.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Maybe the reaper image should be made larger...with more skulls and blood and stuff?
View Quote

Apparently it wouldn't do any good.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

As I said earlier in this thread, I'm just a lowly PADI open water guy.  I haven't dived since Curacao in 2006.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Sure sounds like a boring life to me, not having gone on a dive in 10 years...
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Show me where I called anyone a pussy.  I simply stated the truth...that there are some boring motherfuckers on here.  If someone's idea of big adventure is hitting up Chili's on Friday night that's great, but don't disparage those that got in over their heads living life to the fullest.  That shit happens here all the time and just rubs me the wrong way.  I suppose I need thicker skin.

My latest adventure?  Sunrise scramble up a front range 14er.  Nothing spectacular but I was on my way out of town for business that evening and it was all I could squeeze in.  You?

View Quote

Um, they're not living anymore.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Well that sucks. Hope their kids are grown.

I do all kinds of stuff that others consider high risk, but jumping off things and being below the surface of the earth are where I draw the line.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you are stupid enough to ignore this sign, then please go and die.
View Quote

From the article, it seems they didn't ignore the sign. It says they were experienced cave divers. That said, I have no interest in any serious cave diving.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Oh, hell no!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#39]
If they were trained for it, planned and dived their plan, then more power to them. Shit happens and it happened to them this time. I'm a tech diver on the deep shipwreck side of the spectrum. At least I was, I do more recreational diving now that I'm older and have a young son that I want to be around to see him grow up. Also I'm a scuba instructor with many, many dives under my belt. You take a risk anytime you use life support to go into a hostile environment. You weigh the risks with the rewards and make your choices. I understand completely wanting to do that dive. As I said though... as long as they were trained for it and planned for it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Freaking beautiful!  I'm a lowly PADI open water guy and know I would be in over my head down there.  But I can't help being jealous of the people that get to experience those sites first hand.

These days, I spend my time going in the opposite direction.  I was climbing at 14k feet a week ago.  I'm sure if I was taken out by rockfall in some remote couloir, there would plenty of people on here calling me an idiot for climbing mountains.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freaking beautiful!  I'm a lowly PADI open water guy and know I would be in over my head down there.  But I can't help being jealous of the people that get to experience those sites first hand.

These days, I spend my time going in the opposite direction.  I was climbing at 14k feet a week ago.  I'm sure if I was taken out by rockfall in some remote couloir, there would plenty of people on here calling me an idiot for climbing mountains.

Id be one of them.  You do whatever makes you "feel alive" and Ill make fun of you and others like you who need to do that to get your jollies.  

Hiking is fine but when its through clearly dangerous areas... you get no sympathy from me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a pretty shitty thing to say.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well what do you want me to say? If he isn't going to pay any head to warnings of imminent death then there isn't much else to say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's lots of other choices besides "I don't want to do what you're doing, so I'm looking forward to hearing about your death."

When expeditions were being sent to the new world, or the poles, or the bottom of the ocean, or space, would your response be "pff, hope they die!"? What are you going to say when there's finally a manned Mars mission?

Flooded caves are one of the last unexplored frontiers on this planet. Sometimes people die in them because they're inexperienced and shouldn't be there, but sometimes it's just bad luck. Even seasoned cavers get lost sometimes; it's just that the risk is much greater in a flooded cave. I'd far rather go out and take my chances climbing a mountain or exploring a cave than die of heart disease after a lifetime of sitting on my couch.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been swimming in FL springs since I was literally a toddler. If I was a scuba diver, there's no way in hell I would get in a cave. That is dangerous business.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you even read the sign you posted? It doesn't say "Never dive in this cave" it says "Never dive in this cave without proper training and equipment."
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

From the article, it seems they didn't ignore the sign. It says they were experienced cave divers. That said, I have no interest in any serious cave diving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were experience Cave Divers. The were using rebreathers and between the two of them had three scooters. They were reported missing 4 hours after they entered the water. Running out of air isn't likely since they were on closed circuit rebreathers and at 4 hours they should have been within the duration limits of their scrubber. Their bodies were found near the entrance at 250ish feet of water.

Having a rebreather malfunction certainly isn't unheard of. Having two simultaneously malfunction however is. Right now my best guess is that they had a gas contamination issue. Which explains the dual malfunction and their proximity to the entrance.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a public safety diver, I'm not going past the sign.  I'm not a cave diver, not trained in it, nor do I have the gear for it.  I'll be on a tag line w/safety for the trip to the sign.

This is similar to VFR only pilots straying into IFR conditions and killing themselves.  I'd like to see their logbooks, if it's like most "experienced divers" logs, it hasn't been kept up in several years.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There's lots of other choices besides "I don't want to do what you're doing, so I'm looking forward to hearing about your death."

When expeditions were being sent to the new world, or the poles, or the bottom of the ocean, or space, would your response be "pff, hope they die!"? What are you going to say when there's finally a manned Mars mission?

Flooded caves are one of the last unexplored frontiers on this planet. Sometimes people die in them because they're inexperienced and shouldn't be there, but sometimes it's just bad luck. Even seasoned cavers get lost sometimes; it's just that the risk is much greater in a flooded cave. I'd far rather go out and take my chances climbing a mountain or exploring a cave than die of heart disease after a lifetime of sitting on my couch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<------ Had a heart attack in a cave
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They were experience Cave Divers. The were using rebreathers and between the two of them had three scooters. They were reported missing 4 hours after they entered the water. Running out of air isn't likely since they were on closed circuit rebreathers and at 4 hours they should have been within the duration limits of their scrubber. Their bodies were found near the entrance at 250ish feet of water.

Having a rebreather malfunction certainly isn't unheard of. Having two simultaneously malfunction however is. Right now my best guess is that they had a gas contamination issue. Which explains the dual malfunction and their proximity to the entrance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering what possibilites there were. I didn't know what equipment would be needed for that depth or what the duration of said equipment would be.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Did you even read the sign you posted? It doesn't say "Never dive in this cave" it says "Never dive in this cave without proper training and equipment."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read the part that said "STOP Prevent your death! Go no farther."

If someone wants to go and try to cheat death then that is up to them. I'll read all about it from the comfort of my Lazy Boy.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top