Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hope this isn't a dupe. I searched but didn't see it posted.

www.kutv.com/content/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=89d59491-3910-45c2-9643-3a2fd9347606

Automatic car features are supposed to make life easier for motorists, but they may be leaving some people without the know-how to do things the old-fashioned way. That’s what happened to a driver in Utah County who became trapped inside her own car.

A woman called Orem police Friday afternoon needing help because her battery died and she was locked inside her car.

When police arrived, they found the woman sitting in the car, unable to get herself out. She couldn’t hear the officers instructions through the rolled-up windows so she motioned to them to call her on her cell phone, according to police.

Once officers were able to talk to the woman on the phone, they were able to tell her how to manually operate the slide lock mechanism on the inside door panel to open the door and free herself.

“I'm just glad she had a cell phone to call for help,” an officer said.

I **THOUGHT**  this was a joke

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
please tell me she's sterile and has been disqualified from adopting
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:Out of curiosity, why were you trying to get into the Lexus?

Two elderly people on vacation locked everything they owned inside the vehicle as soon as they pulled into a hotel parking lot.  They had the room reserved on their credit card, so they had a place to stay, but had to use a taxi to get to a store to buy a change of clothes and toiletries for the weekend. (the event happened on a Friday evening)

Quoted:

Unless the windows were armored, I CANNOT see that happening. A frikkin PICKAXE? Was Tinkerbell swinging it? If it was "chipped" it would have shattered plain and simple, safety glass is very predictable when it comes to breaking once the surface is compromised.

The owners of the car were geriatric.  I can't see why they would have armored windows, but they were very thick and very strong.  I may have the type of car wrong, it might not have been a Lexus, but it was a 2001 luxury car with those expensive keys, not the kind you can go to Wal-Mart and get a copy made of for $5.  After trying to pick the lock for a bit the owners finally gave the OK to break a rear window and not a damned one of us could do anything.  The only evidence that we'd even been attempting anything was, as I said, a tiny chip knocked out of the window.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Two elderly people on vacation locked everything they owned inside the vehicle as soon as they pulled into a hotel parking lot.  They had the room reserved on their credit card, so they had a place to stay, but had to use a taxi to get to a store to buy a change of clothes and toiletries for the weekend. (the event happened on a Friday evening)

Quoted:

Unless the windows were armored, I CANNOT see that happening. A frikkin PICKAXE? Was Tinkerbell swinging it? If it was "chipped" it would have shattered plain and simple, safety glass is very predictable when it comes to breaking once the surface is compromised.

The owners of the car were geriatric.  I can't see why they would have armored windows, but they were very thick and very strong.  I may have the type of car wrong, it might not have been a Lexus, but it was a 2001 luxury car with those expensive keys, not the kind you can go to Wal-Mart and get a copy made of for $5.  After trying to pick the lock for a bit the owners finally gave the OK to break a rear window and not a damned one of us could do anything.  The only evidence that we'd even been attempting anything was, as I said, a tiny chip knocked out of the window.  

Next time use tannerite.....
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Next time use tannerite.....

I didn't really care if they got their stuff, I just jumped at the "Hey, want to swing an axe?  My arm's tired" opportunity

That was the event that made me want and need those spring-loaded window punches.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had a lady that locked her keys in the trunk of her '99 Accord.
When I got there she was sitting in it listening to the radio with the engine running.
I asked her why she didn't call and cancel, she replied "because my keys are in the trunk, and all I have is my valet key". So I reached around her and pulled the trunk release and wrote her a bill for $75.
She was still crying when I left.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i  think an acetylene torch, hell even a propane torch and a bucket of water would take care of that glass REALLY easy
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Should have broken out her rear window to more easily pass on the instructions.

Some cars are really, really hard to break into.

I think it was a 2001 Lexus, but this fucker had some rock-solid windows.  Using a sledge hammer, hammer & chisel, and finally a pick axe (which knocked out a tiny chip) the window remained un-cracked, un-scratched and completely brand new looking.

This is with a half dozen firemen and police officers trying to bust out the window for a good hour before a "locksmith" (read:  tow truck driver with "i steal cars" kit) was called.  Then he couldn't make entry using all his picks and pry tools and slim jims so the car sat there for two days until the Lexus dealership opened on Monday and a "master key" was used to unlock the vehicle.

I don't know who this tow truck driver is but a 2001 Lexus is cake.

I dunno about smashing windows, but my 2001 IS300 can't be jimmied, it's physically impossible.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it was a 2001 Lexus, but this fucker had some rock-solid windows.  Using a sledge hammer, hammer & chisel, and finally a pick axe (which knocked out a tiny chip) the window remained un-cracked, un-scratched and completely brand new looking.

This is with a half dozen firemen and police officers trying to bust out the window for a good hour before a "locksmith" (read:  tow truck driver with "i steal cars" kit) was called.  Then he couldn't make entry using all his picks and pry tools and slim jims so the car sat there for two days until the Lexus dealership opened on Monday and a "master key" was used to unlock the vehicle.

I dunno about smashing windows, but my 2001 IS300 can't be jimmied, it's physically impossible.

Wrong.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.

Physics indicates I'm correct, what with the whole two objects in one place thing.

There is a shield guarding the lock mechanism from all upward angles.  It's bowl shaped and presses against both inside surfaces of the door.  Unless you got a long, thin chisel to break the shield then stick a jimmy in the hole, it cannot be opened that way.

They have to be air wedged open between the door and frame.

Edit:  Don't ask me how I know.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top