User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
you need a monolithic dome with a minimal amount of windows
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Unfortunately not in many parts of Texas.  Water table is too low.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How do gun safes do in a tornado?

Anyone know?  Im assuming one bolted down properly would do pretty well, but would be fucked if hit by big flying stuff.

Most RSC's are not capable of holding much of a load Im guessing

I would have to think they would do fairly well. It would be interesting to see how they hold up.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW

MS Coast after Katrina. Most of that entire area was completely gone. This was a bank vault. Stronger than a typical safe room I know, but some concrete structures seem better than an "interior room".

http://i53.tinypic.com/2eppkj4.jpg

Katrina's wind speed when it hit land was about 140 mph, and weakened as it went inland.

An F5 tornado has wind speeds of 261 - 318 mph - over TWICE of Katrina's wind strength.

I agree a bank vault would be a good place to hide, but I would still rather be underground when faced with 300+ mph winds. Keep in mind that it's not just the WIND, but things like cars and trucks, trees, buildings, cows, etc. thrown by a 300 mph wind that you have to worry about.

Would that small local branch vault survive a Ford F-150 hitting it at 200 mph? I wouldn't want to find out.

In order to be certified as a tornado safe shelter for above ground, the design has to be tested by the Texas Tech Wind Research Center. Those designs which pass are awarded a FEMA F-5 rating to withstand an F5 tornado or a Cat 5 hurricane. An EF-5 tornado has wins speeds from 216-318 mph. Most have at least 3/16 steel plate with steel beam ribbing and a door with locking lugs like a safe's door.

This website has pictures of a 1989 Lincoln Continental dropped 40 feet onto one of their shelters with no damage to the shelter:

http://www.stormsaferoom.com/aboveground/index.htm

While I'd rather be below ground, there have been a bunch of people survive direct hits in FEMA certified above ground Safe-rooms.

A hulled out car means nothing to me, they didnt even drop it square on top of the structure, so it ended up taking a % of a % of an actual car. Now, leave the driveline in that car, and throw it at that steel box at 200 mph, and lets see what happens.

That demonstration was done at a State Fair for purely illustrative purposes, not as a bonefied test procedure.

If you look into the testing criteria at Texas Tech, you will see that their lab has the equipment to hit the subject shelters with debris moving at close to 300mph.

It would take an EF-5 tornado to throw a car at anywhere near 200 mph. I've seen film of the EF-5 which hit OK City a few years back, where you can clearly see pickups and semi-trailers flying around in the debris cloud. An EF-5 'scours' everything above ground level. Thankfully, EF-5 tornados are about as plentiful as siamese twins.....they happen....but not very often.

Again, like I said before, I'd rather be underground......

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah, our drive out of the way plan would have been a little touchy this week too. Sporadic tornadoes covering two counties heading east to northeast.

We though we were going to get hit in Southern Dallas county, but they would hit our colder air and turn due east. Luckily, the front had pushed through just enough to keep us safe.

It was scary watching the tv radar and listening to the storm spotters on HAM radio talk about it heading directly for us, then have it turn less than 10 miles out.

Even after I thought it was over, 3 hours later, another cell made a close call. I thought we were done and was watching movies on tv.

I was one of those spotters chasing those storms out south of DFW the other day and giving reports via ham radio. I had zero problem staying out of their way.

99.999999% of the time, one can elude being in the path of a tornado by moving 1/4 to 1/2 a mile lateral to it's path. They aren't 'counties wide'.

This basically would have involved us going north and finding a place to hang out all day.

This came over my office on Saturday while I was at work. There was some rotation to it.  I told my Dad we needed to GTFO and go to my house about 10 miles south. It was on it's way to Forney when I took this.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am surprised that more people do not have tornado shelters in the high tornado areas.

Look at any situation and youll see that most people are unprepared for it. Tornadoes included.

As I said earlier in my post, even when I talked to the wife about getting one she said "they seem kinda old fashioned". She grew up in the suburbs all her life but we life in a small community now. Id say a good number of people in rural areas still consider them a necessity. People in the city have a completley different mindset. A "that only happens to other people" mindset. Hence the reason they are pretty much non-existant in densley populated areas.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top