BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
And you guys bitch about the gun laws in Cali?

Sgatr15

I have lived in both states.  Michigan is more friendly to rifle owners, but it sucks buying handguns there.  Cali is much better with handguns.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Gotta say, the underfolder setup rocks.....

The CX4 Storm is a pistol here as are the Mossberg "persuaders" and Bullpup. I'm sure there are more, but I don't know off hand what they are.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Which county, and did they register it?

Clinton county SO would register a brick as a handgun if you asked them to and paid the $12.00

Kent County, and yes, I have a green card.  And no fee, go figure!

FREE??? where at???

I live in kent county and registered a S&W model 52 pistol at the sherifs office in grand rapids a few months ago.  The lady troll behind the counter told me it would cost $5.00 (it used to be free).

Hell Dena (the chick with the waist length hair) at the GR office is practly on a first name basis with me cause ive been there so many times in the past.

I live in Walker, and Walker does not charge a fee if you have a CCW

interesting, me no gots a ccw. however i got a sneeky feeling thats a local thing and not state wide.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You now have the coolest CCW gun in the state.  Do you have a holster for it yet?

Nope, a buddy of mine has a side folding Galil on his CCW!  Carries it loaded on the front seat.

I'm sorry, but ON his CCW? You have some sort of list of the weapons you personally plan to carry concealed? We are allowed to carry any weapon legal in the state with a CWP but you don't enumerate what you plan to carry. Auto knives, handguns, or even gaget guns if properly papered. Do you have to go through any big process to change carry rigs if that is the case? Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:22:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You now have the coolest CCW gun in the state.  Do you have a holster for it yet?

Nope, a buddy of mine has a side folding Galil on his CCW!  Carries it loaded on the front seat.

I'm sorry, but ON his CCW? You have some sort of list of the weapons you personally plan to carry concealed? We are allowed to carry any weapon legal in the state with a CWP but you don't enumerate what you plan to carry. Auto knives, handguns, or even gaget guns if properly papered. Do you have to go through any big process to change carry rigs if that is the case? Planerench out.

In Mich, CCW is for pistols only. Therefore if you have anything registered as a pistol you can carry it. There is no list of what pistols you have "on your CCW" it is just any registered pistol.

A couple other things about MI. MI is a shall issue CCW state. If you have a CCW, you do not need to get a permit to purchase. If you don't have a CCW, you have to go to your local PD and get the permit. They are not supposed to charge for them, they do not require fingerprints and generally you can get more than one at a time. It takes about 5 minutes. Permits are good for 10 days and then you have 10 more days to bring the pistol back for registration, what they call "safety inspection". One doesn't have to submit cartridge shells like some states, or are limited in the number of pistols one can buy in a month.  There is no waiting period and as a result of the permit system, the Brady Bill doesn't apply in Mich.

This permit system has been around for many, many decades and was streamlined and fees taken away the last few years. In a sense it is a good idea to make it easier to get a permit to purchase. It encourages people to register their handguns and folding stock rifles and shotguns.  That seems like BS but it has kept any legislation banning so called assault weapons from being passed.

Of course one of the problems of registering handguns is that those registered guns show up on the "enhanced 911" system. If you make a 911 call to the police or they are called to your address for any reason, the dispatcher can look and see if you have any registered pistols on the premisis. Interestingly, you can have a hundred rifles, shotguns etc, that won't show up on 911 but one pistol will.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A couple other things about MI. MI is a shall issue CCW state.

Sorta.  

Michigans "Shall Issue" is much more restrictive than most other Shall issue states.  Under michigans Shall Issue law musdemaenor traffic offenses like reckless driving, speed contests, DUI, drive on a suspended license, or open container can prevent you from getting the CCW.  Ironically I had friends who had CCW permits under the old discretionary gun board system, who cant qualify under the "shall issue" law.

Michigans "shall Issue" law took all local control, and the ability to execise common sense, away from the CCW process. Instead you have black and white guidlines writen by some pencil pusher. Those guidlines dont take into consideration that Michigan is a huge and diverse state.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]
No, what Shall Issue did was wrestle control from the eletist Good Old Boys that used to "grant" permits in populated areas of Michigan. Live near detroit? Within45 minutes of Detroit? How 'bout Lansing? Grand Rapids?..... Flint?

If you you could count on a denial for a CCW under the old system. The way it used to be, you could only get a general carry CCW if you were connected, gave enough money to the right people or lived in a rural county.

At least we now have training standards, before it wasn't mandatory....  What really killed me before Shall Issue is that they wouldn't grant a CCW to me to protect myself, but they would if I were carrying in excess of $3000 cash a week. If the value of my life isn't the material arguement, you are telling me that I can't shoot someone to save my life, buy I can if they try to take my money? Isn't shooting someone over money Murder?

I'm happy with the way things are. If you want a CCW and jump through a few procedural hoops (few, thankfully) then you can be armed at all times. This is a good balance between no CCW and letting EVERYBODY have them... I have friends that I wouldn't want to have a gun all the time, I think you guys probably do to?

It's better with Shall Issue.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#8]
What is this "REGISTER" thing you are talking about?
  NOTE, I am being a SMARTASS.......
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Federal law says its a rifle.
State law says its a handgun.

Hmmmm.......
I wonder what whould happen if you shortened the barrel to under 16".  Could the Feds then come after you for a short-barreled rifle?

"But officer, it's a handgun. I have the paperwork right here!"
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Federal law says its a rifle.
State law says its a handgun.

Hmmmm.......
I wonder what whould happen if you shortened the barrel to under 16".  Could the Feds then come after you for a short-barreled rifle?

"But officer, it's a handgun. I have the paperwork right here!"

Yes.  If it has had a stock on it ever, it is a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
In Michigan, you have to register any firearm that the length is under 30” as a pistol.  I have just completed a Polish Underfolder AK47 kit and took it down to the cop shop for a “MI safety inspection”.

Here’s how it went:
...Man, when will they learn that the laws only apply to the law abiding people and that the criminal element ignores them.
At least I have a Polish under folder registered as a pistol here in MI.  That means I can carry it under my CCW.  I guess that 30 Rds. of 7.62x39 ends the 45ACP vs. 9MM which is better debate [:0]

Echap

Way to go ! I'm glad it worked out for you.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I am taking an AR pistol for the BS "safety inspection" tomorrow. I expect some level of happy horse-shit from the clerk or people in charge.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I must admit I have never heard of a "safety inspection" what does it consist of?  Over here in OR we are still fighting to keep our machine guns and the right to cut down our own trees on our own property.  We have open carry here, although I have a CCW it is nice to have the option to forget to put a vest or long shirt on.

Kentlik  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Interestingly, you can have a hundred rifles, shotguns etc, that won't show up on 911 but one pistol will.

lol id love to see the dispatchers face when they sroll through my collection.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And you guys bitch about the gun laws in Cali?

Sgatr15

I have lived in both states.  Michigan is more friendly to rifle owners, but it sucks buying handguns there.  Cali is much better with handguns.

Well they cant offend all the voting sport hunters now can they?
November 15 is a kin to tet,ramadom and any other BIG religious holy day you can think of up here.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You can thank Dirtroit for that.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
In Michigan, you have to register any firearm that the length is under 30” as a pistol.  I have just completed a Polish Underfolder AK47 kit and took it down to the cop shop for a “MI safety inspection”.
Echap

Hey Echap,
Do you have a link to where I can get a copy of the law to print out? I've been looking, but couldn't find it.

Thanks!
Tall Shadow

Heres the site, download Michigan firearm laws, its on page 139 www.michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654---,00.html

Note it's down this morning.

Did you get a permit to purchase before assembly of the folding stock? If so did you use your name as both buyer and seller?

BTW, here is my pistol...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/arpistol.jpg

My name was the buyer and the seller.  I have a CCW as well, so that might make things a little easier.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry you had to go through that kind of hassle, man. I hate that when YOU are doing the right thing (obeying the law) and you still get treated  like your a suspect! I mean I guess it would be pretty easy to look at everybody as a criminal after being around them so much but I still think that there should be an allowable standard . Something like , if your not commiting a crime then your a law abiding citizen!If you are commiting a crime then you are a criminal! Anyway, take care. Nice piece BTW.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top