Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#1]
You literally cannot have too much garlic.  100% garlic could still use more garlic.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Didn't think it possible. Made a big batch of hummus Friday. Tossed in four large cloves of garlic.

Wife won't touch it. Figured it would mellow after a couple of days. Nope. Still like eating a head raw.
View Quote

Next time cook the garlic, in some oil or water, just a little.  Mellows the garlic.
Same with onions in salsa.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Make another equal-size batch of hummus.

Mix.

Invite friends over.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fine work sir.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This year I have 72 cloves I planted last fall.  They are all up now.  They will be used in:

1) My wife's dill pickles

2) Dried for garlic powder

3) Roasted

4) Used fresh in various recipes

There's also scapes to harvest since it's all hardneck.  Music and Siberian seem to do the best around here.

http://i.imgur.com/mAMKRhi.jpg
Fine work sir.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Make another equal-size batch of hummus.

Mix.

Invite friends over.
View Quote
I don't think that would even salvage this stuff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
sounds like it is best fed to the garbage disposer with a shot of Pepto to keep it from getting sick from it too. 

Appears similar to what my wife cooks up.

I eat out too much just to avoid this shit. I actually get cravings for real honest-to-God food without all of that crap tossed in.
If I do eat it, I get the uncontrolled diarrhea where I cannot stay out of the bathroom longer than 30 minutes.
BTW. Pix of actual 'cooking' here. Any guesses as to what was under all that drek?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
sounds like it is best fed to the garbage disposer with a shot of Pepto to keep it from getting sick from it too. 

I eat out too much just to avoid this shit. I actually get cravings for real honest-to-God food without all of that crap tossed in.
If I do eat it, I get the uncontrolled diarrhea where I cannot stay out of the bathroom longer than 30 minutes.
BTW. Pix of actual 'cooking' here. Any guesses as to what was under all that drek?
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51802/GarlicCooking-190404.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like red bell pepper, onions, and garlic on top of chicken with pepper
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#10]
When I needed to mix garlic into food in the past, I would mince it up fine and then sauté it.
But these days after seeing it done and trying it for myself, now I roast the garlic cloves whole until they're soft and mash them up.

Easier to use in foods that require mixing and to me roasted tastes better than sautéed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks like red bell pepper, onions, and garlic on top of chicken with pepper
View Quote
Incorrect.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Might want to get tested for Crohn's disease. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Lemon juice is the answer. Lots of lemon juice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lemon juice is the answer. Lots of lemon juice.
View Quote
Mmmmmmm, Toum!!!!!

I will eat the bejesus out of some toum!!!!

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Blasphemy,  never too much garlic.

Well, almost never .
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are you a Wizard?

I never knew that. It makes sense though. The only time I ever went overboard with garlic it was minced and cooked right away. I wouldn't have believed it was possible to add too much garlic if I hadn't done it myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Garlic behaves differently depending on the time it is exposed to oxygen and when it is cooked.  Mincing garlic exposes it to oxygen which allows the garlic flavor to develop.  Cooking garlic stops this reaction.  What OP described is minced garlic never cooked which allowed the full development of the raw garlic flavor.

Various recipes treat the garlic differently which results in the characteristic flavor of the dish.  The strongest to mildest treatment is this:  Minced and never cooked > minced and cooked later > minced and cooked immediately > non-minced and cooked.

Garlic, yo!
Are you a Wizard?

I never knew that. It makes sense though. The only time I ever went overboard with garlic it was minced and cooked right away. I wouldn't have believed it was possible to add too much garlic if I hadn't done it myself.
Not a wizard.  Just well read.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top