Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I wonder how many of the lesser known quantities are actually doing the HPT/MPI that they claim the bolt went through.

Considering no one shows documentation (besides Spikes), it could be a load of shit all the way from the material type to the testing.

I'm in the boat that when you have your quality control down like LaRue or KAC, it becomes an unnecessary test. Batch testing might tell if you have a fault in your lot of material or heat treat. At least enough to make you feel good

The chart is what did this in. All the people whining about this, parkerizing under the FSB, having to turn the front sight an extra spin or two, etc. All the little companies couldn't get started without it and many of the big sellers still don't give a hoot about it (Bushy, DPMS).
View Quote

Bravo Sir.  I completely agree.  Bushy (at least before they were bought out by Freedom Group) batch tested bolts.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:41:42 AM EDT
[#2]
It depends....individual testing vs batch testing, etc, will alter price.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's milspec....C158 bolt.  The reason I bothered posting it was because some people think an MPI'ed bolt is infallible....when it's not.
View Quote

Was it HPT'd as well?  I believe MPI is pointless unless it is HPT'd first.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#4]
What ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
MPI by itself is worthless without HPT.

View Quote

KAC and Larue don't agree with you...
View Quote

That's great.  The rest of the serious use AR world does.  I could care less what boutique brands do / think.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

That's great.  The rest of the serious use AR world does.  I could care less what boutique brands do / think.
View Quote
While I would not call it worthless.  It definitely means a LOT less without prior HPT.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Everybody gets their panties in a wad when this comes up - it is a $40-50 part to replace that will eventually break regardless of who manufactured it or what inspections they did.

Paying an additional $200 on a rifle to hedge my bets that a $50 part won't break is a poor investment IMO. Buy spares and keep shooting - I keep one in my pistol grip since it has critical parts like the ejector, extractor, gas rings, and respective springs which are all prone to breakage or wear out.

If MPI makes you happy and you honestly believe that there is certified technician scrutinizing every bolt for 5 hours to detect any micro-flaws, then get MPI.  You can get welding dye crack penetrant and inspect your whole collection whenever you want for $21 at Grainger (Spotcheck Dye penetrant).  This is still cheaper than buying several of the companies that use things like "spec" "SOCOM" "Tactical" and MPI as marketing tools.

This was likely a result of a poor heat treatment and would not show up under MPI inspection (which it obviously didn't).  The company will likely send a replacement, but your backup will keep you shooting while you wait for warranty to come through!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Larue...botique...sure if you say so.  KAC...no not in the slightest....
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Larue...botique...sure if you say so.  KAC...no not in the slightest....
View Quote

Centurion does not HPT their bolts either. Hardly a boutique brand.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sucks about the bolt breaking.

MPI has a statistically insignificant rejection rate and is unnecessary.  99.99+% of bolts pass the MPI inspection, but it still adds to the cost of your bolt.
View Quote

I heard this as well.  That something like 1 bolt in every million got rejected and that it was totally pointless.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#11]
So your bolt breaks and, suddenly, inspections are a worhtless marketing tool?  Too small of a sample, bro.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I would really like to know what percentage of bolts are failing HPT/MPI testing.        

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MPI has a statistically insignificant rejection rate and is unnecessary.  99.99+% of bolts pass the MPI inspection, but it still adds to the cost of your bolt.
View Quote

Notwithstanding the fact that you have absolutely no way of knowing the MPI pass rate of bolts among all of the manufacturers, if it is unnecessary, then why are BCM, DD, Noveske, Spikes, etc., etc. doing it on each bolt?

You seriously believe that you know something that they don't?
View Quote

It's called marketing.  Some people (they're pretty easy to ID) won't buy something unless "milspec" is attached to it.
View Quote

Marketing likely has something to do with it, but it can't be the only reason.

If the point of your post is that MPI does not provide a guarantee, then I wholeheartedly agree with you.  But frankly, I've never seen anyone claim that it is a guarantee.

It may very well be the case that HPT and MPI are becoming less critical these days, but if it were completely unnecessary, it does not seem rational that the majority of the most well respected mfg's are still doing it.

No disrespect to you (and I sincerely mean that), but if Paul Buffoni comes out and says that they find it to be unnecessary, I'm willing to give more credence to his views than yours.

If BCM stopped doing it tomorrow, I likely would not hesitate to continue to purchase their bolts.  They are the pros and they have built a stellar reputation, so I'm more likely to accept it if they are finding that it is unnecessary.

I believe that KAC forgoes HPT on their bolts.  I'd rely on their bolts even without HPT because of their solid reputation for R&D and testing.  KAC Id' trust......some others not so much.
View Quote

No disrespect taken...and don't think that I'm trying to claim a non-MPI Model 1 Sales / M&A Parts bolt is the same as an MPI'ed bolt from a quality MFG.  And believe me...there are plenty of people out there that wouldn't clear their moms basement with a rifle unless it had an MPI'ed bolt...
View Quote

I think the premise of your initial post was that just because a bolt is marked "MPI," that does not make it infallible.  I would agree with that.

I was reading your post to say that "my bolt was MPI'd, and broke, therefore MPI is worthless."  

It think the lesson here is that all parts can break, and having a spare bolt handy is always a good practice.

Admittedly, I'm far from an expert as it relates to metallurgy and testing procedures, but could this likely be an issue of improper heat treatment?  Would HPT and MPI be likely to catch an issue with improper heat treatment?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
PSA sells BCGs with MPI bolts for $70, I'm unconvinced it adds significant cost to the end product.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Nobody has said it yet, but Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) is what is referred to as a Non-Destructive Test (NDT). In layman' terms its purpose is to find cracks on the metal's surface and just a tad deeper.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess you should reach out to BCM, Colt, DD, Noveske, Spikes, S&W, etc. etc. and let them know that that "it really doesn't matter."

The cam pin hole is the most common failure point on a bolt.  It happens.  MPI was never intended to be a "guarantee."

I think you may be overreacting a bit here.
View Quote

No shit...hence why I've shared this little bit of information.  It really doensn't matter if you're MPI'ing every single bolt, batches, or not at all.  Failures CAN happen so stop looking at "the chart" and get out there and shoot.  If it breaks...it breaks.  Bolts are cheap.
View Quote

Unless it breaks while you're using it in a life threatening event.  Failures do happen but I want something with a low failure rate.
View Quote

I have a couple beater rifles with quality non-MPI'ed bolts that each have thousands of rounds though them.  I have nicer high end rifles (factory and builds) with MPI'ed bolts with thousands of rounds through them also.  Never had an issue with either in the past.  No way of really knowing what the figure is, but the fail rate for either is likely very low for a newer (as in not used to the edge of its service life) bolt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Notwithstanding the fact that you have absolutely no way of knowing the MPI pass rate of bolts among all of the manufacturers, if it is unnecessary, then why are BCM, DD, Noveske, Spikes, etc., etc. doing it on each bolt?

View Quote

FWIW KAC doesn't MPI or HPT. But they also have a different, upgraded bolt design.

All things being equal on a stock bolt I prefer it as it seems to go hand in hand with quality, but at same time shit does happen. Colt had a run of bolts a while back that broke at the cam pin hole at under 100 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#19]
cms81586,

What are the specs of the weapon that the bolt failed in (gas system, barrel length, gas port diameter, action spring and buffer weight, carrier profile, and extractor spring setup)?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#20]
MPI only detects occlusions on or near the surface. If the bolt is machined from a billet there is always a chance of an internal defect that happens to be in an area of high stress/small cross-section and thus can lead to failure.
I care more about HPT and shot-peening as these verify the strength of the bolt to withstand an over-pressure round and relieve stresses from the manufacturing process to increase the fatigue life of the bolt, resp.

Edit: That's an odd place for a bolt to fracture. The only operation that places stress on the tail of the bolt (behind the cam pin) is when you manually rack the charging handle. When a round is fired, there's a bearing stress on the bolt from the cam pin, but that should not cause a fracture like yours. You should check the cam pin and the cam groove in the carrier for grinding or something else that would put the bolt under torsion.

N/M it happens. Probably a bad heat treatment.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

It's called marketing.  Some people (they're pretty easy to ID) won't buy something unless "milspec" is attached to it.
View Quote

If the point of your post is that MPI does not provide a guarantee, then I wholeheartedly agree with you.  But frankly, I've never seen anyone claim that it is a guarantee.

It may very well be the case that HPT and MPI are becoming less critical these days, but if it were completely unnecessary, it does not seem rational that the majority of the most well respected mfg's are still doing it.

No disrespect to you (and I sincerely mean that), but if Paul Buffoni comes out and says that they find it to be unnecessary, I'm willing to give more credence to his views than yours.

If BCM stopped doing it tomorrow, I likely would not hesitate to continue to purchase their bolts.  They are the pros and they have built a stellar reputation, so I'm more likely to accept it if they are finding that it is unnecessary.

I believe that KAC forgoes HPT on their bolts.  I'd rely on their bolts even without HPT because of their solid reputation for R&D and testing.  KAC Id' trust......some others not so much.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

FWIW KAC doesn't MPI or HPT. But they also have a different, upgraded bolt design.

All things being equal on a stock bolt I prefer it as it seems to go hand in hand with quality, but at same time shit does happen. Colt had a run of bolts a while back that broke at the cam pin hole at under 100 rounds.
View Quote

And they still manage to last 4-5x longer....although some of that can be attributed to the design changes...

Quoted:
cms81586,

What are the specs of the weapon that the bolt failed in (gas system carbine, barrel length 16", gas port diameter .063, action spring and buffer weight stock/H buffer, carrier profile M16, and extractor spring setup standard extractor w/ o-ring)?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

No disrespect taken...and don't think that I'm trying to claim a non-MPI Model 1 Sales / M&A Parts bolt is the same as an MPI'ed bolt from a quality MFG.  And believe me...there are plenty of people out there that wouldn't clear their moms basement with a rifle unless it had an MPI'ed bolt...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top