Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Comcast upgraded my modem for free this week.  I went from 22 mbps download speed to 144 mbps.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meanwhile myself and 50 neighboring households can't convince Comcast to run 2.5 more miles of cable to allow us to ditch shitty satellite internet
View Quote

I had that when I had a house built outside of Tucson.  Builder said in May that the cable company was expected to lay their line by the end of September.  When my house was complete the following March, no cable in sight...  It was a year before I could get 1Mbit wireless (which sucked) and another year before I got DSL (which sucked less).  5 years and one move later, my property manager told me that the new tenant couldn't get DSL from the phone company...

Mike
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
wrong thread

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Work internet. No cable on our street.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Swapped modems at the local Comcast store a few weeks ago

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

ETA: jelly about that 5ms ping ^^^

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Lol don't be...shit is locked down tighter than a virgin. Can't download ANYTHING... Need admin passwords even to get google chrome.

Subnet...hook a brotha up with a workaround?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]
and at home

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The extra bandwidth is nice if you have teenagers who stream video instead of watching TV, but if you are dealing with a usage cap (Comcast at 300GB) it just means you can get to that cap a little quicker.

The cable companies are actually doing a great job of improving speeds, but way behind the curve on metering. Those that do have metered service don't offer an unlimited residential tier, but have no metering on Commercial customers. You don't have to run a business to order commercial service, and the price isn't much more. That screws the company more than the customer, it puts them in a situation where there commercial techs are spending more of their time dealing with residential type issues that they aren't well prepared for.
View Quote

Comcast has admitted they only cap to make you pay more.  It's not a throughput issue.

Txl
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks OP! I just tested my speed too! We must live close.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lol don't be...shit is locked down tighter than a virgin. Can't download ANYTHING... Need admin passwords even to get google chrome.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: jelly about that 5ms ping ^^^

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Unless the BIOS is locked down or something, put a Linux distro on a thumb drive.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think it came to Austin, but I have  not heard anything about it coming to Dallas.

I wouldn't use it if it was free anyway.

I'd sooner use AOL dialup over google-anything
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Google Fiber must be moving into your area. Nothing is free, they just want to keep you.

I think it came to Austin, but I have  not heard anything about it coming to Dallas.

I wouldn't use it if it was free anyway.

I'd sooner use AOL dialup over google-anything

This was a grouchy response.

Yes.  I would use free Google Fiber over dialup, but I would do everything over a VPN.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top