Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
have him email this back..

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd update my description to tout "less than manufacture's minimum advertised price!"

View Quote

Lol this

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait, now they're claiming that he isn't allowed to sell his stuff on ebay?

What exactly do they think they can do to stop him?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'll update with their response if he gets one. He emailed them
Saying he isn't a distributor.
ETA - He sent me a copy of the message from 5.11. Turns out they didn't accuse him of being a distributor selling at MAP prices but the opposite. They said he was an "unauthorized reseller" and only their approved resellers can sell 5.11 items and he is not allowed to sell any of their items on third party sites such as eBay. I'm trying to figure out how to upload a pic of the screenshot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suspect a dealer reported him.

I would reply that I am not a dealer and I am not bound by a MAP agreement.  Tell them you are merely divesting of some old stock that was given you.

Keep your logic and reasonable replies out of here. We need to be butthurt and boycott over a company attempting to control unauthorized resale of their product by their dealers. Clearly some geek behind a computer at 5.11 should have known it was a military member selling five new shirts gifted to him. Hopefully no one comes in here and explains how shady dealers selling below MAP hurts the honest dealers and negatively impacts their sales/income.

When do we boycott ARF for prohibiting the resale of our accounts???

I'll get him to send me the letter they emailed. They didn't ask anything (are you a distributor?) Just sent the litigation threat. I'm fine with them not having their dealers screwed.....but it doesn't seem logical to send it to someone selling 5 shirts.

Most of the time, it's shitty dealers violating their contracts. I'm sure if he messages them back and explains, they'll be fine and back off. If they still try to push it after that, then we can say fuck 5.11. You have to remember most people selling multiples of new items on eBay got them some other way than paying retail for them. Your brother definitely didn't do anything wrong, but he's definitely the minority on eBay when it comes to stuff like that. Fortunately eBay sides with buyers 9/10 times these days, even if the buyer is totally in the wrong, so your brother should be fine no matter what.

I'll update with their response if he gets one. He emailed them
Saying he isn't a distributor.
ETA - He sent me a copy of the message from 5.11. Turns out they didn't accuse him of being a distributor selling at MAP prices but the opposite. They said he was an "unauthorized reseller" and only their approved resellers can sell 5.11 items and he is not allowed to sell any of their items on third party sites such as eBay. I'm trying to figure out how to upload a pic of the screenshot.

Email it to me and Ill post it. [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#5]
First Sale Doctrine applies. Ignore the letter, or respond with a really stupid comedy response.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Here you go OP

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Have him take them out of the packaging so that they're 'slightly used' and then he can tell 5.11 to GFTS.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Part I see sounds like the person is giving the impression they are a 5.11 dealer either through logos or imagery. It is true that if the OP is using imagery from the 5.11 site that is copyrighted material.

However if none of the above is true I would send them back a picture of my nut sack

ETA: post the eBay link so we can check it out and someone can purchase
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#9]
So you're using their copyright images to sell your used shirts?

Stop it...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#10]
C&D letters are mostly unenforceable.

No one is going to take a $300/hour lawyer and make them go after you for 200 bucks of stuff on fleabay.

Now if you open up a storefront and start to sell their stuff without their blessing, that's another story. I'm guessing they just assumed he was planning on selling their thin, cheap t-shirts and shitty chinese knives as a "retailer" and not private party.

Selling shit on ebay does not make you a "retailer" unless you have a implied, contractual relationship with the manufacturer.

ARB sent me a letter when I sold two Land Cruiser bumpers, I told them to FOAD, mate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tell them to FOAD, you're not a retailer.
View Quote

Zactly, he is not a retailer so no contract. They are second hand NIP goods.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#12]
try selling a yellow drill w/black trigger..Dewalt will shut you down even if is plainly stated that is Chinese made.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Tell him to reply with, " buy them from me or go fuck yourself".  

View Quote
THIS!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#14]
nvm
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm sure they could Vero rape his account just because though...

I wonder if changing them from "new" to "new-Other" would help?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

That was my first thought on the matter.

Well considering they're not new...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Ignore it and keep the auction...  fair use of trademarks allows using the name for reselling. Image listing your Ford on craigslist saying "For sale, Used former-Ford F150".

The MAP is a private party contract between 5.11 and resellers.  It's a safe bet your buddy did not sign it either.

Finally, trust me on this one... if 5.11 had a case, they would not have talked to your buddy, but have gone straight to eBay.  He would have discovered his auction pulled.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ignore it and keep the auction...  fair use of trademarks allows using the name for reselling. Image listing your Ford on craigslist saying "For sale, Used former-Ford F150".

The MAP is a private party contract between 5.11 and resellers.  It's a safe bet your buddy did not sign it either.

Finally, trust me on this one... if 5.11 had a case, they would not have talked to your buddy, but have gone straight to eBay.  He would have discovered his auction pulled.
View Quote

I agree with direct to eBay - however taking your own picture of your ford with the emblem shown is one thing, taking a ford logo and imagery off their website and posting it as your own is not fair use

ETA: to clarify not arguing as we have not seen the post so it could be either one
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

yup
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got an email from THX, supposedly, when I listed a THX demo disc for sale on fleabay years ago.

It said the disc was not to be sold and was only given out to dealers etc etc., they insisted I take the auction down.  I didn't and it sold without issue.
View Quote

I'd have told them its my fucking disc and to fuck off, followed by a fuck you to george lucas!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My brother listed several 5.11 shirts (5 or so) on eBay. They were new in packages still sealed. He got a letter saying he is violating MAP pricing from 5.11 and they would take legal action if he didn't correct it?????? For a handful of shirts? MAP is distributor stuff and not for someone trying to move 5 shirts he doesn't want . Seemed like bullies sending that to a guy serving in the USAF currently and selling 5 shirts for cheap. They weren't issued but personal owned.

I never had a problem with 5.11 but it seemed a little bit like they are intimidating the market using a form letter to scare people.
View Quote

Send them a letter back informing them that you're not a dealer and, thus, not under any obligation to conform to MAP. Close the letter with "Fuck You Very Much, kncook"
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'd have told them its my fucking disc and to fuck off, followed by a fuck you to george lucas!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got an email from THX, supposedly, when I listed a THX demo disc for sale on fleabay years ago.

It said the disc was not to be sold and was only given out to dealers etc etc., they insisted I take the auction down.  I didn't and it sold without issue.

I think they get that so much it's like a greeting over there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell him to reply with, " buy them from me at MAP prices, or go fuck yourself".  

Pretty much this.

yup

Fixt
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#25]
So, has he sold them yet?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:10:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

That was my first thought on the matter.

it says in original post they are new still in package...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:14:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oakley does the same shit.  I used to work in a bike and ski shop.  We sold a shit load of Oakleys because the boss didn't mark them up much over his cost.  Oakley rep stopped in and took the boss to lunch.  Told the boss; "We don't discount our product, get your prices back up or we'll pull your dealership."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Add another company that can go fuck themselves

Oakley does the same shit.  I used to work in a bike and ski shop.  We sold a shit load of Oakleys because the boss didn't mark them up much over his cost.  Oakley rep stopped in and took the boss to lunch.  Told the boss; "We don't discount our product, get your prices back up or we'll pull your dealership."

Your boss was aware of Oakley pricing policy and agreed to it when he opened the account. Tough shit if it isn't selling. If your boss couldn't move Oakley at retail and couldn't play by the rules, he was more than able to close his account.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:44:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So you can't resell your own crap?  That's their claim?

lol.

View Quote

This is Ameri(C)a.  When a corporation tells you to do something, you don't ask fucking questions, consumer.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top