BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you still have to get 5 letters of references and take a mental hygeine test or is that a myth?
View Quote

Three letters of reference from non-relatives... essentially yes/no questions and check-off boxes (one page), no mental hygiene exam.  Fingerprints, photo and criminal background check.
View Quote

Some jurisdictions require that you attend a safety class and some judges will order the local police department to inspect your home security and require you to have a safe to store your pistolas.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a hard time siding with the State/Gov. over idi-otic guns laws. I think a [s]law abidding[/s] citizen should have a right to defend himself. I realize all states are different,but for crying out load,here it's legal to walk down the street with one strapped to your hip,but you guys have to jump through hoops and pay money to have one...I just dont get it,we must have a different Constitution out here.  
View Quote

Good point. Here its legal to open carry almost everywhere to my knowledge. It never phased me growing up to walk down my road to go hunting carrying my AR15 or AK. I fired thousands of rounds in my backyard growing up and the neighbors never complained that 50 meters next to them was a mini-gunnery exercise. My friends who do own Class III weapons have no issue with firing them in their backyard either - seems neighbors are used to the sound of freedom - in belt fed form. Then again, this is the land of Bushmaster, Small Arms Review, HMHS machine gun shoots, and a dozen Class III dealers. I'm trying to think of someone who does NOT own a gun in this state - wait, nevermind... we have our share of trash to.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
First off guys, the Supreme Court has addressed the issue of gun control on several instances and they have ruled that no right guaranteed under the constitution is absolute.
View Quote

Then they have overstepped their authority. The only thing that can change the enumerated powers to the govt. or the enumerated rights of the people is a Constitutional Amendment.

Furthermore, if you are going to cite the Constitution as your authority than you must also recognize that Article 3 sets the Supreme Court as the ultimate arbiter as what is and is not Constitutional, you can't have it both ways.  If the Supreme Court has ruled that no right is absolute than their word is final... that [b] IS [/b] what the Constitution states.
View Quote

The Supreme court IS NOT the final authority. Our Constitution is based on natural law, the "preface" if you will is the Declaration of Independance.  

As for listing protection as your reason for a permit it will not get your permit application denied, it will likely however not result in an unrestricted carry permit.  Protection would be the most logical reason to obtain a premise or place of business permit.

I don't like the law any more than you do, but the Supreme Court has on several occassions ruled on gun control and said it is in and of itself not unconstitutional.  Furthermore they have refused to hear many cases on the issue which is a de facto ruling that the laws on the books may stand.  It is an acknowledgement as to the constitutionality of a law without issuing a direct ruling on it.

I would invite some of you know-it-alls to take a few law classes in Constitutional Law and then try offering an informed opinion.
View Quote

Oh gosh, I'll try. The whole idea of American govt. is that the govt. is slave to the people, not the other way around. The founders recognized a higher authority than govt., or man's "law". God. Allow me to illustrate from the Declaration;

[b]We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are [red]endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,[/red][/b]

Some of these rights were enumerated in the "Bill of Rights".

[b]that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. [red]That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers[/red][/b]

"Just powers". Any unjust power, (or law), contrary to an "inalienable" right, is illegitimate govt.

[b] from the consent of the governed. That [red]whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,[/red] and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness[/b]

An "inalienable" right, or that which is given by God, cannot be taken by man, or govt. To attempt to do so, is to attempt to enslave someone, and can be lawfully resisted.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You try that legal defense liberty and let me know when the trial is... I want tickets to the best show in town.
View Quote

As a "Constitutional scholor", and law student, you are well aware that federal court judges decide what is a defense, and what is not. In other words, the judge decides what a jury will hear, and what it will not. The system is rigged. There are some here who will allow themselves, and their posterity's freedoms to be sold out. I'm not one of them. God willing, there will be no court appearance by me.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You try that legal defense liberty and let me know when the trial is... I want tickets to the best show in town.
View Quote

I sure hope that wasn't your best shot at my arguement......
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
For all you "straight arrow" types who criticize this guy for 1) having an unlicensed handgun and 2) using it in self defense in his own home, I want to know if you're just being sticklers for detail or if you're spineless.

A permit to own a gun?  What the hell?  I know it's not a new law, but can anybody here make a case that it's right?  I can see the argument for requiring a permit to carry in public, but W(hy)TF do you need a permit to keep a gun at home?

And what is up with this "he should have used his shotgun" crap?  No shit, he should have.  In retrospect, I'm sure even he agrees.  Hindsight is so much better than the tunnel vision you have when some POS is busting through your window!  1) the perp would most likely be dead, and 2) he wouldn't be facing charges for defending his life in his own home.  As it stands, the victim is alive, and that might not be the case if he'd taken the extra time to get his shotgun.

Don't you armchair quarterbacks realize that there is a big difference between what is legal and what is right?  Or don't you fvcking care?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Liberty, that's the only possible shot at your argument:  "I don't care what's right, papa government will spank me if I don't do what he says."

[V]

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I sure hope that wasn't your best shot at my arguement......
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We're all out to get you my pretty...

*passing Reynolds Wrap* They're everywhere... trust nobody... the chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall. [rolleyes]
View Quote

Ahhhh yes, there it is, the old liberal trick of demonizing your opponent as you go down in flames.....They teach ya that in your philosophy and ConLaw classes??? Ya oughta get your ass out of left wing schools, and into the patriot movement......
No! never mind, stay where you are. Enjoy your chains.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I love to live in a state where I can carry a loaded pistol in my truck, because the state views my vehicle and my place of business as an extension of my living room.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#13]
The bottom line here is that this guy did exactly what the second amendment says we have the right to do. Yeah, maybe he should have used a better gun and/or moved to a less restrictive state. The fact that he didn't suggests that he has something that a few members of this site may be lacking: balls.

I thought that the purpose of the federal government was to make sure that the states did not violate anyone's rights. Like during the civil rights movement when the federal government forced certain states to recognize the rights of black people. Now they can say that it's just fine if the states restrict other rights. It doesn't make much sense.

Haven't they used license BS to restrict rights before? They make the charges sound better by saying that he isn't being arrested just because he had a gun, but because he didn't get the license. This, of course, ignores what's required to get a license, if it's possible at all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nope, I argued these points previously... Read the other thread on Constitutional theory and history.  It was designed as an evolving document,
View Quote

I've seen some dipshit arguements in my time, but this takes the cake. Allow me to suggest you read Federalist #81, 5th paragraph or thereabouts.

they placed the power to interpret the Constitution in the hands of SCOTUS.  Like it or not SCOTUS rules as to what is and is not constitutional.  The process of naming justices to the Supreme Court is one that involves both of the remaining branches of government and tenure is for life to make the judiciary independent and able to make these decisions free of political influence.

If not for these facts, this independence to act as the Comstitution and the framers intended you would be saying President Gore today.

No need to beat a dead horse, your mind is made up.  We disagree as to whether rights in the Constitution are absolute.
View Quote

No, we disagree as to whether or not the founders enumerated "God given" rights, or whether rights are granted by govt., as you think.

I believe there must be a compelling state interest to regulate, but it is possible.  Precedent and case law backs me.
View Quote

And when contrary to the LETTER of the Constitution, and natural rights, mean nothing.

You say no, with nothing other than the beliefs of the founders which while they influenced that great document we call the Constitution, do not override it.

How about you pass another amendment that spells out that infringement is not possible in any form...  That is afterall how they proposed you remedy the situation.
View Quote

It's already in the 2nd, but it's not good enough for you and your liberal professors.....

And the founders knew there were other means to "remedy the situation".
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The bottom line here is that this guy did exactly what the second amendment says we have the right to do.
View Quote

I was under the impression the Supreme Court decided that what you posit the second amendment stands for is in fact not the case (in US v. Miller, to which the 9th circuit has recently distinguished).
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How did he get his prints checked by the FBI and DCJS in only 2 weeks? They usually put non-criminal stuff at the bottom of the pile.

In most cases it takes 3-4 months for the background checks, administrative bs and getting a judge or licensing officer to sign-off on the permit.  
View Quote

Your guess is as good as mine.  The only reason I heard that makes sense is that after 9-11, NYers were "encouraged" to purchase firearms.  In either case I won't second guess a good thing.  All I know is one week he tells me he put in his paperwork for a target permit, and 2 weeks later he's showing me a brand new Berretta.  Before that, the fastest I saw a friend get a permit was 3 months.  This was in Nassau County.  Then again, a 3rd friend's application took almost a year, because his paperwork was "lost."
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well liberty when you argue facs such as case law, specific constitutional and philosophical principles and your opponent comes back with canned lines and is unable to refute your points than yes, I guess I will throw my arms up and leave it as I did.
View Quote

Your "case law", and "philosophical principles" mean nothing in the face of the writings of the founders, and the plain letter of the Constitution.

You point to quotes of the founding fathers but neglect to remember that there were two main schools of thought amongst those patriotic men... they could not agree between a strong central government or states rights, they compromised on whether "the negroe" would be counted as a man or part of a man or as property, they disagreed on whether the nation should be isolationist or active in world affairs and these differences shaped their debate.  Hell, they disagreed whether there should be a bill of rights because to ad specific rights might be infered to assume there were no others.
View Quote

But much to the chagrin of you and others, the Bill of Rights is there isn't it? And as to your last sentence, see Amendement 10.

What matters is the final product.  The document we have at hand is what we have to work with.  We have the writings of these men, which were often at odds with each other.  They are not here to serve as a sounding board.  Instead they provided a system of government that resulted in a Supreme Court that was entrusted to decide these issues as they arose.  They provided you with the means to change the Comstitution if you don't like how it is interpreted.

I offer this all in argument, you offer platitudes.  So yes, I throw my arms up and say whatever liberty... you be the man... you know far more about that hallowed document than [red]9 of the most brilliant legal scholars in the nation know after spending a lifetime in service to those sacred words.[/red]
View Quote

Surely you jest!! Most of the Supreme court justices were just like the 3 ninth circut judges who issued the second amendment opinion recently. Did you read it?? That the best ya got? Joe Schmoe sittin' on a bar stool could do better than that! Ever read any bios of former justices? I know several said later they made decisions on how they "felt", not what the Constitution said...
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#20]
The same almighty, omniscient State so fondly spoken of here once allowed laws in the South prohibiting certain races from owning firearms. But since it is our duty to obey the law to the letter - I guess we should be happy that Black Americans could NOT own firearms for years. God forbid anyone oppose and disobey corrupt laws written by corrupt men.

I don't see how the 9 Supreme Court Justices are magically "superior" in their thought process to everyone else. They too are fallible humans driven by self interest at times. Especially, when they all get appointed through our corrupt Congress and the Executive branch. And there are some extremely liberal judges on the court today. Not unlike the Judges in Kalifornistan - where Kangaroo Courts run the day.

Originally posted by Hiram Ranger:

"I believe there must be a compelling state interest to regulate".....The Constitution and its common sense reading? Sounds like a Tory from the 1770's speaking - not even an ardent Federalist would say that.

On compelling interest to regulate. Regulate my Freedom of Speech? My RIGHT to keep and bear arms? Or perhaps my right from unreasonable search and seizures? I challenge ANYONE to treat me or my family like a SUBJECT. Thank God my family was on the right side during 1776. They might be defined by yourself as criminals for they broke the laws of England many times and killed British soldiers following the King's orders. The concept that the King's law is all-powerful is NO different from the mindset that our current high court is infallible and must be adhered to at all costs. Yet, the thought of civil disobedience here in modern times is WRONG?

What country has this turned into? What part of "DO NOT INFRINGE" is not registering with some people...errrr...SHEEPLE?

Read Commen Sense by Thomas Payne - it is truly enlightening. An excellent book for everyone. The Federalist and AntiFederalist Papers are good as well. Assuming one of course has already studied the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I love to live in a state where I can carry a loaded pistol in my truck, because the state views my vehicle and my place of business as an extension of my living room.
View Quote

For anybody who isn't paying attention, we all live in states where we [b]can[/b] carry a loaded pistol in our vehicles or on our persons.  It's just a question of whether the [pathetic, left wing, bleeding heart] government du jour in some states recognizes our inherent right to do so.

And this arguing of constitutionality bores me.  I say fvck the 2nd ammendment.  (Yeah, there's the rum talking!)  The intention was good, but apparently the founders didn't dumb it down enough for your average jackass to understand.  [b]Our RKBA has nothing to do with any piece of paper or case law anywhere.  [red]It is inherent, and those of you who do not exercise it in defense of yourselves and those you love make me sick.[/red][/b]  If it requires a tax, fine, give to Caesar what is Caesar's; your family will appreciate you staying out of jail.  But if it is outright banned, fvck those who ban it.

I'll probably regret posting that in the morning, but I'll be d___ed if I edit it, because it's true!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top