Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:40:48 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL, I would be the test case on that one.

Even though there is absolutely zero difference between that and a semi-auto AR, it looks scarier to BATFE agents.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:42:04 AM EDT
[#2]
you can drill out the hole, but an auto sear won't fit unless the inside of the rear of the reciever is opened up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And I don't know about you, but nobody is going to stick me into a cell because of an engraved circle.

This is fucking ridiculous.    I don't even own anything like this, but this is far over the line into tar and feathers territory.

I've said this before, but the first answer to this is to start shunning people that do this nonsense.   Treat them like lepers.
View Quote

You're not going to get any argument from me.  I agree with you.

The good news is for the first time in a long time we have someone in the White House who looks like the real deal who is not afraid to shake things up.     If he is planning on doing what people are saying he is planning on doing, the ATF is going to suffer by default.    If his kids are the real deal, from what at least Don Jr. has said, we might finally get some help here.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:09:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Somebody needs their pecker smacked over that bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:13:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:18:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Preposterous
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:21:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fuck em.  Federal civil rights lawsuits are needed.  With jailtime for the individual agents who carried out said policy and the people who drafted and ordered said policy.

And if this chills the willingness of people to apply for employment with the BATFE... so much the better.
View Quote

Flawed legal avenue.   Instead the larcenous felons need to be arrested and prosecuted.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:22:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That lower identifies as a machine gun. That is enough to change legal status these days.
View Quote

It was taught by insensitive people in its environment to behave like a SEMI, but down inside, it always knew it was a select-fire identity.

It still wants to be suppressed though for some reason.

It's not confused, just constrained by an unfair society.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:30:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what about the FN Military series rifles, are they all considered machine guns now? They have an engraved ring...

FATF!
View Quote

What we need is contractual government sales by everyone in the firearms industry.

Every firearms, ammunition, clothing, holster, gear, armor, vehicle manufacturer needs to band together and make certain conditions of their contracts.

1.  None of their products will be issued to, borrowed by, transferred to, loaned to, assigned, or otherwise placed in the physical possession of BATF or any of its agents.

An organization specifically tasked with violating the Bill of Rights deserves nothing but severe criminal charges, to include treason.

In the meantime, every manufacturer and every owner should just have the AUTO sear hole engraved, then send them the bill for the work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:59:24 AM EDT
[#10]
thread title should really include "ho, ho, ho."
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fuck all that shit, I am a machine gun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSTLaidCcL0
View Quote

I miss Showbread
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#12]
ATF is dicks. 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow unbelievable.
View Quote

Literally unbelievable.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#14]
What's funny is that I think I remember Troy saying the engraved sear pin hole isn't even in the correct location. I think it is moved forward a little so if some one did drill it, it wouldn't be functional.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:53:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is probably the biggest most important piece of legislation I've seen so far.
View Quote
Trump is turning out to be Hall of Fame!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What's funny is that I think I remember Troy saying the engraved sear pin hole isn't even in the correct location. I think it is moved forward a little so if some one did drill it, it wouldn't be functional.
View Quote

Assuming you did the other bs to fit the autosear, would just have to tweak the autosear to make up for the hole being off.
Unless you made it off by quite a bit, then it would look like shit and you wouldn't do it anyway.

It's all bullshit though, could prob eyeball and hand drill that hole close enough to make it work fine.

Now that they are aware, I would expect a mass recall and panic like they did years ago with ak/mak90 with the 3rd pin stuff.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Ho Ho Ho
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is probably the biggest most important piece of legislation I've seen so far.
View Quote

Reading a bit now but what's your take? reigning in how ATF just decides the rules based on the weather?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Since the pin is just engraved on, will the ATF accept if I engrave torch cuts on the receiver as demiling?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#22]
You know what the ATF says.

Never a machine gun, always a machine gun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I think the part that fks us is writing vague shit like this into a law "or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger".

Every ar on the planet can be made to fire more than 1 shot per trigger pull in about 30sec. Maybe not reliably, but doesn't need to be reliable to be a machine gun.
Thats pretty fkn "readily" already, nitpicking a mark on the receiver is so far out in left field it ain't funny.

What's next? They gonna go after the guys that have "auto" marked lowers because it says it fires more than 1 shot per pull
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Begs the question of how they would interpret a lower that has 'NO STEP' (or something similar) where the letter 'O' is near the dreaded pin hole location?

I could see someone engraving their SBR lower with their trust name in that manner. Pin hole or just a letter in a Trust name? 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I thought Trump was going to fix all these problems.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oh for fucks sake.

Sounds like some nitwit of a field agent knows a little about guns and started running amok with knowing the depth of his ignorance.  FWIW, I've had to explain to a BATFE agent what a sear was and what it looked like during an inventory/inspection.  Some of them can be just jaw-droppingly stupid.

If I squint real hard and try to image what its like to have a lobotomy, I think BATFE's angle is that because its an 80% there is intent to complete it by using the engraved holes to complete the receiver - including the engraved sear hole.  To them, I think 80% means you're going to do it yourself, and if there's a marking for a 3rd hole, they think you must be going to do that too.  

Because Troy's receiver is already complete, there is nothing for you to do, so you wouldn't be drilling that engraved hole.  Its stupid and makes no sense, but thats my best guess at their inane logic.
View Quote

meh... don't care, outside of this one random incident you will never here about this again
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#28]
would this not be 1st and 2nd amdt. as well?.... 1st, because you are drawing a pic "3rd hole" in protest of a dumb law.....
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is great! From what I could glean without an account, it will seemingly put an end to agencies issuing these ridiculous 'interpretations' as to what constitutes what. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What we need is contractual government sales by everyone in the firearms industry.

Every firearms, ammunition, clothing, holster, gear, armor, vehicle manufacturer needs to band together and make certain conditions of their contracts.

1.  None of their products will be issued to, borrowed by, transferred to, loaned to, assigned, or otherwise placed in the physical possession of BATF or any of its agents.

An organization specifically tasked with violating the Bill of Rights deserves nothing but severe criminal charges, to include treason.

In the meantime, every manufacturer and every owner should just have the AUTO sear hole engraved, then send them the bill for the work.
View Quote

....MAGA
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The agent that tried to walk out of my shop with a customers firearm claiming THAT was illegal would have a bad day. The law regarding MGs is clear in how they function. That is firearm theft. Theft of a firearm is a felony, and I will treat you as such.
View Quote

And what is it that you would do?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Ok I want to make sure I have the facts straight....

The lower in question was only engraved with a "fake" auto sear hole....

The ATF employee who "took" the property without a warrant was an "Agent" or was this employee an "Industry Operations Investigator"?

If the employee is not an agent the "taking" employee will have a real legal and civil problem.  Even an agent would have to have a serious reason for taking property without a warrant.

"Seizure" does require a warrant for arrest made out for the property.    (ask me how I know).

Is there a warrant and has anybody seen it?

I will go out on a limb here and guess that a new minted employee (not agent) just attended one of FTB/FATD classes on firearms identification and was told that "indicating" a hole is not allowed (though faking one would not have been addressed in said class) and the employee did not know the distinction and went full bore freak out on it.....Now the ATF will have to either circle the wagons and protect the employee or cut bait and immediately give it back....Either way I doubt there will be any criminal charge as this will make any AUSA run for cover as it will embarrass all who touch it going forward.  This is what is referred to at the ATF as a "career ender"....

Edit : as I now see they "pressured" the signed "release"....I would have made them get a warrant, but then again I am known to do things other folks would not do.....
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I mean, would it be a machine gun if you did the exact same thing with a magic marker?   If not, why not?
View Quote

LOL forget marking the hole.  Just write "This is a machine gun" on the side with a Sharpie.  Extra points for writing "AK-47" on the side, too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That lower identifies as a machine gun. That is enough to change legal status these days.
View Quote

ROFL.  Well done, there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#35]
It's checkmate once the ATF gets taken to court and is ordered to once and for all define exactly what legally constitutes a machinegun, write it down, and then live with it forever.

That needs to be the ultimate goal of every court case.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You cannot infer what my intent was at that time.
View Quote

I have bad news: Juries infer intent hundreds of times a day across this nation.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#37]
This forfeiture brought to you by the letter O.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Does it count if I draw a circle with a Sharpie ? What If I write trans instead of full ? I have a lower I will donate for a test case right now ?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Begs the question of how they would interpret a lower that has 'NO STEP' (or something similar) where the letter 'O' is near the dreaded pin hole location?

I could see someone engraving their SBR lower with their trust name in that manner. Pin hole or just a letter in a Trust name? 
View Quote
A period in the engraving that happens to be in the right place might be more useful.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

ATF has already confiscated a member's finished 80% lower from a well known anodizer's shop after agents who were there on an unrelated matter saw the engraving.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So... it's a pre-op trans-functional semi-automatic to automatic firearm?

They might say that, but until they actually arrest you for it, I don't think they truly believe it.  

ATF has already confiscated a member's finished 80% lower from a well known anodizer's shop after agents who were there on an unrelated matter saw the engraving.

Uh-oh, better call Nolo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
you can drill out the hole, but an auto sear won't fit unless the inside of the rear of the reciever is opened up.
View Quote
Faux sear pins are offset. You could open up the FCG pocket, drill the holeft as marked, and it still probably wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#42]
What would "Dave" have done?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Depends on your definition of the moment of fabrication.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An 80% lower IS NOT A FIREARM.
Depends on your definition of the moment of fabrication.

"readily restored to..."

That has to be the angle they're taking; they'll argue that marking the hole makes it easy to drill.  If you wanted to troll ATF you could do an engraved 3rd hole in the wrong place by 1mm.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Since the third pin hole issue, I have always known it was a no no to make any dimple, marks, or anything indicating where to drill on the receiver without a jig.  I'm surprised people are surprised by this.

I think we should all write letters.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I get the feeling that the guys who are so worried about having accuracy as in to engrave a third pin in the exact sear hole position, will probably also be buying lower shelf lowers to keep accurate.

It would be even worse if someone engraved pins in a fake offset and have a high shelf or fenced lower
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#46]
They would shit over a lower marked like that with a binary trigger installed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Wasn't that the old atf? Will be interesting to see If the post 1/20 atf feels the same about things or starts trying to do all them back... Maybe Trump should tell them to make it into a machine gun to prove their case.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#48]

Lol. That's a good one.

Someone posted this the other day:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't get why people are so up in arms about this shit.  I don't get why people want to have "fake" pinholes.

I can't stand imitation or fake shit like that, many go as far (in order to comply legally) to make the engravings out of spec.... why?  You now not only have a fake hole that is obvious, but you now have a fake hole in the wrong location.

Since the third pin hole issue, I have always known it was a no no to make any dimple, marks, or anything indicating where to drill on the receiver without a jig.  I'm surprised people are surprised by this.

View Quote

I don't care why someone wants something engraved on their lower. It doesn't hurt me so why should I care?

People aren't up in arms about engraving, they're up in arms about a government taking people's property under ridiculous pretense.  If you can't see why people would have a problem with that then you're in the wrong place.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't get why people are so up in arms about this shit. I don't get why people want to have "fake" pinholes.

I can't stand imitation or fake shit like that, many go as far (in order to comply legally) to make the engravings out of spec.... why? You now not only have a fake hole that is obvious, but you now have a fake hole in the wrong location.

Since the third pin hole issue, I have always known it was a no no to make any dimple, marks, or anything indicating where to drill on the receiver without a jig. I'm surprised people are surprised by this.

View Quote

You should move to California. Why the fuck does it matter what someone else wants to do with their property?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top