Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think the cop killing the cat and abortions are even on the same playing field here.

If the owner's of the cat found it and it was sick and decided to put it down there would be no issue here.  The cop killed an animal that probably didn't need to be killed. It wasn't his choice to make pro or not.

If a stranger found a pregnant woman that was foaming at the mouth and beat her with a shovel till she aborted he would be facing murder charges.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't think the cop killing the cat and abortions are even on the same playing field here.

If the owner's of the cat found it and it was sick and decided to put it down there would be no issue here.  The cop killed an animal that probably didn't need to be killed. It wasn't his choice to make pro or not.

View Quote

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stand it man.

I hafta respond here. I don't want to. Really, I don't, but I gots to.

The cop took a single cat life that wasn't his to take.

In this country, "people" have taken some 30,000,000 lives that weren't there's to take.

The parralel here is so strong. Forget a minute about assigning blame for the individual acts. I asking which should we get into a "righteous lather" about. A single dead cat, or....
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a cop can so wantonly take an animal life, it gives an indcation of how he may perform his job when a human life is at stake - like shooting first, and asking questions later.
View Quote
[/b]

Horseshit, one action does not equal the other as you suggest. Maybe he was having a bad shift, maybe he was attacked visciously when he was younger by a cat, maybe he had something else to respond to and wanted to end the cats suffering, maybe he thought it was the right thing to do and he made a mistake and you want to equate that to him shooting a human?

He might have even compounded the mistake by laughing about it later but let's put it into perspective, what kind of record does he have?

View Quote

Actually, you are right, and I should correct myself.

This action with the cat MAY be an indication of his treatment of humans.

Sociologically, they've often found that murderers started out as animal abusers. Now, the cop is FAR from being either of those, but I'd say killing a cat with a shovel, and then laughing about it later in NOT a good sign. Basically, he would NOT merit a job promotion if he worked for SPCA.

You are right. I was wrong. But I still think its a bad sign of his regard for life.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers garandman.

I know you're deeply religious and very anti-abortion.

I only make the point that the cop make a poor decision.  Especially because it wasn't even his cat.

I respect your right to have your opinion and admire the way you defend it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey guys, I probably would have put the cat down also. I didn't know cats get like that form heat. I would wanted to end the poor animals suffering. Since I read some of you good peoples letters; I learned something today.  I just don't like anything to suffer. As for the officer joking about it he should have been reprimanded for that. And since his decision was to kill the animal; there are definitely better ways.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure this has been said a few times before, but anyway here it goes. I understand that they are mad because he laughed or joked at killing the cat, but nonetheless ITS AN ANIMAL!!! If someone killed my dog because it looked like it had rabies I would initially be upset, but nothing to cry about. ITS AN ANIMAL, GET OVER IT!
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Back to the original subject, which was about a brave LEO clobberin a cat.
Bottom line is.... If I, or any other joe citizen, were to do exactly the same thing(Whack a cat with a shovel) we would STILL be in jail and probably facing felony animal cruelty charges !!!!
just another privelege of the badge eh ???
[frag]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
but for fun, by your logic, the abortion issue can be used as perspective for ANY topic, no?
View Quote

And what's so "fun" about it?!?!?!?  The cashier at Safeway was rude to me this morning, but at least she wasn't having an abortion or slaughtering a cat with a shovel at the time!  Allah bless her, the slut!

[%|] Now where's my #*$&ing Prozac. . . .
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]
"The officer who destroyed Sassy happens to be the head of the department's Canine Unit."

I don't know about this guy.  What if you suggested to him to beat his dog to death with a shovel.  I think it shows very bad judgement to decide to beat any animal to death with a shovel to "end its suffering".  Aren't we all for clean painless kills?  

I bet he blew his chance as head of the Feline Unit.  

Cats on patrol!
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This would be a tough issue, [b]EXCEPT[/b] for the fact the officer was laughing about it.

We can't remove it from this story, because it [b]IS[/b] the deciding factor on how this should be handled.

View Quote

Thank you.  It is nice to see a admin/mod when they step in an d hand us a reality check.

Zaz
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 71-Hour Achmed:

And what's so "fun" about it?!?!?!?  

View Quote

...for "fun" meaning i didn't want to start a flame war with g-man, just a discussion...

bottom line: the cop had a tough choice, he acted. right or wrong? could be debated endlessly (sometimes by use of comparison, sometimes not). laughing about it IN FRONT OF THE GRIEVING FAMILY is wrong, it's sick, the guy needs help.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#16]
It is a F'n cat.  Big deal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The needless loss of pussy is unacceptable in this country.

View Quote

I'll bet you offended SOMEBODY with this post.
UH OH!! Better lock the thread!![;D][:D][;D]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Alright, I'm gonna chime in here about the neighbor.  I seriously doubt that he/she didn't recognize the cat as being from the neighborhood, if not as his/her neighbor's.

I may not know all my neighbors, but I pretty much know the cats and dogs around here.

IMHO the neighbor is a jerk for not askng around before calling the cops.  This is not the same as having a vicious dog get in your back yard.  Cats, at least the ones under 40 pounds or so, pretty much leave humans alone if we leave them alone, even if they're sick.

No doubt the officer's way of dealing with the cat was a surprise to the neighbor, and I hope he/she is suffering some remorse over the whole thing.  

When you guys are done with that shovel, can I borrow it?

[size=4][red]PRK[/red][/size=4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 1:10:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Foaming at the mouth could be a symptom of rabies, but it is only 1 symptom.
[url]http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/natural_history/nathist.htm[/url]

From CDC,
"What happens if a neighborhood cat bites me?
You should seek medical evaluation for any animal bite. However, rabies is uncommon in dogs, cats, and ferrets in the United States. Very few bites by these animals carry a risk of rabies." [url]http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/Ques&Ans/q&a.htm[/url]

A shovel is not a humane way to kill an animal.  Police and even K9 handlers do not know animals.  When in doubt, call Animal Control.  They will still have a Vet make the call, to kill the animal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 5:20:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
here.

IMHO the neighbor is a jerk for not askng around before calling the cops.  This is not the same as having a vicious dog get in your back yard.  Cats, at least the ones under 40 pounds or so, pretty much leave humans alone if we leave them alone, even if they're sick.

]
View Quote

Now THERE is a good point.

I ONLY call teh cops AFTER blowing my neighbors kitties away with my .50cal  Barrett. [:D]

Seriously, whatever happened to friggin' talking with your neighbor??? The nervous nellie neighbor started the whole chain of events. Friggin' wuss. Be an adult. A stray cat doesn't necessitate calling in the SWAT team.

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Grandman answer me this if you can.

I agree with you that abortion is murder. Your numbers grew faster than teenage whore's could have sex, but your last number was 30,million I belive.

Ok so now that we agree that the parents of these 30million babies are murderor's. 1 million people is approx. the size of Metro Omaha, NE with subburgs. So in your world not taking into account procreation of these aborted babies, we would have 30 more towns the size Omaha Metro all of which were born and raised by murderors.  Now factor in the procreation of this Spaw of evil and where would our society be today.

Second "Evil flourishes when good men do nothing"  so you are just as responsible for the murders by not stopping the murder as the person who killed the babies. If you would not take up arms against those killing babies then you are just as much to blame.

Third if you believe in God's will then who are you to question God's or Natures way of thinning the weaker members of the herd. Obviously 30million members of the herd raised by parents of ill character would not be an asset to society so God devised plans to reduce thier numbers. We all know what groups AIDs targets, Any game warden knows the way to insure the survival of the specis is to cull the herd when it gets overpopulated, this culling improves the breed.  We as a country are better off with all the abortions than we would be if we let birthing run willy nilly like they do in third world countries.

Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:40:59 AM EDT
[#23]
David Hineline -

If you REALLY want to discuss, e-mail me.

Otherwise, I've said my piece in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#25]
No Garandman I will not debate this with you in a priavte forum via e-mail. You brought this topic into an open forum and now want to run and hide into the dark recesses of private e-mail when someone asks you to defend your position.

No I thought you would run and hide when someone asked you hard questions about a topic that you hold at an emotional level.

Just like an anti-gunner can not debate why guns are evil you can not debate why abortion is evil only thing you can do is state it is evil.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top