Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Piss on all the consoles! My PC blows all of them away!
If I had to choose one though the Xbox will ALWAYS win over PS crap.

Out of curiosity, mind listing your PC's specs here?

Have you even read the specs for the PS3?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Microsoft is timing the Halo III release to coincide with the PS3 release.  That's pretty funny stuff.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Does this mean my Atari 2600 is obsolete????
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

doesnt matter what his specs are, he definately doesnt have anything remotely close to blowing any next gen console out of the water.  Not.  Even.  Close.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

doesnt matter what his specs are, he definately doesnt have anything remotely close to blowing any next gen console out of the water.  Not.  Even.  Close.

Until console games come up with a control for first person shooters that does not involve using little joysticks with my thumbs then there's one reason to stick with PCs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hear they jam and crash even worse than the original Xbox.  There is already a lawsuit about them releasing it before it was ready.

I don't think that there is a law against releasing something that is not ready. Microsoft does that all the time But seriously, I think I know what you are talking about, it has to do with the power supply burning down a house.

I can't comment on the crashing  as I don't own one yet. I got one for someone else who wanted to pay a couple hundred bucks more to have it in time for christmas, mine is still on pre-order from EB games and god knows when that will come in.

Probably before the FAL I ordered

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Until console games come up with a control for first person shooters that does not involve using little joysticks with my thumbs then there's one reason to stick with PCs.

I never said that they were superior for shooters, I just said the fact that there is not a home desktop gaming PC available right now that can come even close to touching xbox360 as far as horespower goes.

Some shooters are better suited for controllers though.  Halo sucked ass on PC, the mouse and keyboard controlls were clumsy, and retarded.  Much easier and better to play that game with a controller.

Unreal Tournament on a controller.......hell no.  mouse and keyboard all the way.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I was trying to get at

No one that reads the specs for the PS3 who understands anything about hardware goes around saying "my pc BLOWS it away" ...

I've invested a pretty penny in my own personal PC, and upgrade constantly to keep up with stuff, but damn, my PC right now is no where near "blowing away" a PS3.

Another thing to chew on.  Think about how much money you will need to build a pc right now that is close to a PS3?  Nvidia 7800 GTXs in SLi, quite a pretty penny to upgrade, and you still won't be "blowing away" any of these new consoles.  Then think about how much money a PS3 will cost.  Hell, you could buy an Xbox 360 and a PS3 and still save as compared to building a top notch SLi rig from scratch.

For what its worth, I love pc gaming and FPS on PCs.  But I also love consoles, and if someone wants to save money by buying a console, then more power to them.  At least they are playing ...

Picking a side is plain fanboyism ...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I built my kids  a AMD 64 3000/GF 6600GT computer for around $500 for Christmas.

I have been testing (secretly playing BF2) and I will take it anyday over a XBOX

FREE

+1  PC for me any day of the week.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Microsoft is timing the Halo III release to coincide with the PS3 release.  That's pretty funny stuff.

My sole reason to get an Xbox 360.     Ok, well my boys would dissown me as their father if we don't get Halo 2.5.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#11]
So, let me get this striaght...MS has finally amended their business plan to actually allow us here in the US to *purchase* one now????  Color me stunned lol.  

I guess those boats from Japan can move faster than I thought...I figured another 2 weeks before all the ones the didn't sell in Japan made their way back over here.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I was trying to get at

No one that reads the specs for the PS3 who understands anything about hardware goes around saying "my pc BLOWS it away" ...

I've invested a pretty penny in my own personal PC, and upgrade constantly to keep up with stuff, but damn, my PC right now is no where near "blowing away" a PS3.

Another thing to chew on.  Think about how much money you will need to build a pc right now that is close to a PS3?  Nvidia 7800 GTXs in SLi, quite a pretty penny to upgrade, and you still won't be "blowing away" any of these new consoles.  Then think about how much money a PS3 will cost.  Hell, you could buy an Xbox 360 and a PS3 and still save as compared to building a top notch SLi rig from scratch.

For what its worth, I love pc gaming and FPS on PCs.  But I also love consoles, and if someone wants to save money by buying a console, then more power to them.  At least they are playing ...

Picking a side is plain fanboyism ...

Ummm, it is a PowerPC core.  Unless it is running at over 10Ghz it doesn't even come close to a current Athlon 64 or Pentium 4.

Even IBM, the manufacturer of the processors has stated the Xbox 360 should have twice the power of the older xbox(a Celeron 733Mhz).

And the GPUs are really equivalent to the best NVIDIA and ATI have to offer, but not SLI'd.  SLI would be almost double the speed of the PS3's RSX graphics setup.  It is based on the NVIDIA current G70 GPU, and NVIDIA is already mass producing the G71(faster) GPU for PC cards as we speak.  They should be in stores within a month.  NVIDIA has also stated it's next generation chip, the NV50 will debut in the summer for PCs.

So, in 6 months they will already be two cycles out of date as far as video cards, and the CPUs are slow, that is where both Sony and Microsoft cut costs since they spent the money on the GPUs.

Its very simple, the cost to compete with a PC in performance for a console would be too much of a loss to hope to make a profit from the game licensing fees.  When you buy a console, the manufacturer loses a couple hundred dollars.  They hope to make the money back on the sales of the games.  If they were to actually sell a system that is competitive with a modern high performance gaming PC, they'd be losing around $1000 with each sale, and could never hope to make a profit in the end.

Where consoles have the benefit is fighting games.  For some reason they never took off on the PC.  Otherwise, with a few exceptions, the best console games are also available for PC.  Usually the best games are available on all gaming systems, including the PC.

The game I played on my xbox most was House of the Dead.  I like light gun games, and of course those are only made for consoles, and very few at that.  Of course, now my televisions are incompatible with light guns, so I'm at a loss, except for the one company with that imperfect solution.  You can buy light guns for the PC, too and play arcade games with MAME, but I've had an LCD for a long time now, and they won't work with that, either.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top