User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well, I won't argue signs of national pride but let me ask this:

How is this symbol of national pride different from the crowds at the royal wedding (if one slashed down that)?

Because this is America and I don't give a shit about the royals, and frankly, I don't see the connection. We have an event that effects the entire world. An American military triumph. It's being celebrated by a generation that is portrayed as less than patriotic, and at best, indifferent to the
war on terror. At worst, anti American and pro Islam. Their enthusiasm and earnest display of national pride is moving. The royal wedding? An entertainment spectacle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this symbol of national pride different from the crowds at the royal wedding (if one slashed down that)?

Because this is America and I don't give a shit about the royals, and frankly, I don't see the connection. We have an event that effects the entire world. An American military triumph. It's being celebrated by a generation that is portrayed as less than patriotic, and at best, indifferent to the
war on terror. At worst, anti American and pro Islam. Their enthusiasm and earnest display of national pride is moving. The royal wedding? An entertainment spectacle.

To each their own.

Actually, I find it disturbing.

Oh, the gatherings are great, but it feels like to me it is on the wrong focus. Had he been in a command center when he met his end, that would be one thing.....but a man who has been passing messages by courier seems to be more of a figurehead and less of a mastermind. Hence, there are others out there to worry about.

Further, just as this generation seems to think that terrorism started on 9/11.....so it seems that it thinks it stops now.........and we know that is not true.

The unity in celebration of the people is great.....but I don't think this is the time for celebration.
("Let the people see that as brutal we were in war, we are as merciful in peace. Release all political prisoners."––Thal leader, thinking he has won the war against the Kaleds, (w,stte), Dr.Who "Genesis of the Daleks")
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each their own.

Oh, the gatherings are great, but it feels like to me it is on the wrong focus. Had he been in a command center when he met his end, that would be one thing.....but a man who has been passing messages by courier seems to be more of a figurehead and less of a mastermind. Hence, there are others out there to worry about.

Further, just as this generation seems to think that terrorism started on 9/11.....so it seems that it thinks it stops now.........and we know that is not true.

The unity in celebration of the people is great.....but I don't think this is the time for celebration.

I don't get the impression that anyone seriously thinks this is the end of Islamic terrorism. It seems more like a celebration that justice has finally been served. I think it's safe to say that this is a major blow to Al Qeada. Bin Laden created Al Qeada. He was their leader and their inspiration. They won't recover from this quickly. We have an opportunity. We have momentum. There's no telling the wealth of Intel we took out of that house. This is a major blow. If not a knockout, a knockdown. We are way ahead in points and looking strong in the late rounds.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:14:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They are growing....

D.C., Times Square, Ground Zero....

It reaffirms my faith, how ever little, that we might have some hope yet.

ughhhh.. you sure about that....

Looks like all college aged kids. How do you know they aren't championing "Obama" taking down Osama....

The whole useful idiots thing comes to mind. I'm not so sure it's a swell of patriotic pride as much as the other, or a bunch of nimrods finding out their friends are going for a block party.. so they have to be part of the cool thing right...

Just very skeptical of that age group.. sorry, just am!

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each their own.

("Let the people see that as brutal we were in war, we are as merciful in peace. Release all political prisoners."––Thal leader, thinking he has won the war against the Kaleds, (w,stte), Dr.Who "Genesis of the Daleks")

Yeah, it ain't over yet but knowing that murderous scumbag is dead is something, in and of itself, to celebrate IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:45:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I was proud to see it, and to hear the SSB being sung. However, dancing and bouncing around in the streets seems more like what "they" would do.
I'd prefer more of a calm, collected and smug  "quiet professional" approach. Oh well, still cool. I was half expecting Code Pink and other assorted pukes to hold candle light vigils and protest the death.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#7]
crap...i just moved from NYC 3 days ago.  i would have loved to have been there for this...
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:20:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Spontaneous crowds are suspicious to me.  This sort of thing happens in Europe, not in the USA.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top