Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you invited your future FIL out to check it out yet?
View Quote
LOL, OMG...."See, once I move this old couch out of this room, we can spread the newspaper out and put the crib right here..."

Just hide a video camera somewhere first.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure the bottom floor is tall enough for a two post lift.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Neat OP!
Good luck with that.
If all else fails here's this.
164lbs of Tannerite Kills a Barn
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks spendy for operating a Landscaping business. You not have much competition in your AO? Most operations around here have to run 1989 F150's that are rusted out to pull their trailers around, hard to make any real money for them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Make sure the bottom floor is tall enough for a two post lift.
View Quote
yep, i need to be able to fit mid size dump truck in there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I went through this about 15 years ago. 100 year old house, 3 barns, 1 dug well and 1 one drilled.

House had some great wood in it, rough hewn beams, rock piers. Cool. Inside was pine panelling and some of the occupants over the years smoked, which gave it a really cool color. There was some random cool stuff around the house: 9hp hit and miss engine, surveyor's transit in a wood case, the world's supply of starters and alternators .

Challenges:

* There was no actual septic system. It was a pipe leading to a trench covered in OSB. So, full septic was a line item from the get go.
* The dug well had trash pushed down in it. A lot. And, I had every reason to believe the previous tenants had done something to poison the drilled well. (They were bringing bottled water in for themselves.) New well, new budget item.
* The trash - there was a butt load of just worthless household trash in every room and every barn. Not cool stuff. But, trash bags of clothes, paper, broken junk.
* The house had not legitimately been maintained in at least 30 years. Roof was toast. Floors were toast. Siding was toast. All of the interior was toast and some of the structural members were toast.

Decisions:
* The house had to go. At the end of the day, if I removed all the broken stuff, replaced it correctly, and then modified the house to suit our family, it would have been more expensive and much more time than simply building a new house. The upside would have been being able to say "Yep, a very small portion of this house is 100 years old." Wasnt worth it.
* Took what I wanted from the property (the hit and miss and a couple other items). Then, had the junk pickers and recyclers come through. Then, called the fire marshal and had him certify it asbestos free and let the FD burn it all. They got great training out of it and even a little surprise when the old hand grenade/can of powder/something blew up in the gable over the front porch. They also saved all the trees (which paid huge dividends).
* Started from scratch and planned a homesite and well that fit perfectly with the trees I wanted to keep. Found a great grader and went to work.
* No regrets.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wear a dust mask. One of our members died from Hantavirus after being exposed to dried rat shit.
View Quote
I have an old house on one of my parcels.  The previous owner was a hoarder and crazy cat lady.  I was in the house a couple years before I bought the property, and the floors were starting to sag due to the joists rotting (she thought it was too much trouble to open the foundation vents in the spring and close them in the fall, so she just left them closed year round).

Haven't set foot inside the house since before I bought the land, and I'm not going in without at least a mask with filters, goggles, gloves, and some coveralls that I don't mind trashing when I'm done.  I don't think a dust mask is enough.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#9]
We could do a buy from US Chemical Supply for bulk tannerite,
one of the arfcom horde has access to a RedOne camera
and I think theres a couple of rifle owners on here still,

Heck @aimless might bring down a NY legal AR...
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks spendy for operating a Landscaping business. You not have much competition in your AO? Most operations around here have to run 1989 F150's that are rusted out to pull their trailers around, hard to make any real money for them.
View Quote
We don't mow lawns except our commercial accounts and we sure as hell don't drive old half ton pickups. We do more landscape construction, build & design etc. By no means have i hit a million in business per year yet but we're growing at a steady pace. All of my equipment is paid for and my business has zero debt. Guys in my area see 200k for one single commercial snow removal contract (5 months). We have some healthy contracts in place and our residential build out business is strong. I do okay for myself.

ETA: Here's a clients property with one of my rigs. We're flashy around here

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Call the Antique Archeology guys
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Google "barndominium".
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Google "barndominium".
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There's probably alot of healthy wood in there and that wood is a better maturity grade of wood than what can be bought nowadays.
View Quote
Yep. Lots of people are starting to salvage that stuff for high end builds. The old 2x4s have the same load rating as the new 2x6s. OP may want to start stacking that stuff.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd clean it out and see what you have. Might be something that can be renovated into a cool house; build a dedicated barn for the business.
View Quote
A total gut job and restoration is going to be less than a new build.  The aluminum siding may not be what you want, but I'm sure it has preserved the house behind it.  The roof doesn't look terribly neglected either.  Trimming up the trees and doing some landscaping and it would probably be a nice looking place.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Heard a story about someone that had the Fire Department burn down an old house. Turned out the walls were full of antique guns...too late.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well after much discussion and probably more frustration from my contractor it's looking like we may do a barn with living quarters above as my full time new diggs.
View Quote

Talk with your accountant about mixed-used property.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A total gut job and restoration is going to be less than a new build.  The aluminum siding may not be what you want, but I'm sure it has preserved the house behind it.  The roof doesn't look terribly neglected either.  Trimming up the trees and doing some landscaping and it would probably be a nice looking place.
View Quote
You can see daylight from the back of the house ceiling. The main beams are completely rotted so its basically falling in on itself. The house is junk.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Tagging this shit
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#20]
In for the groundbreaking party! You're only a couple hours from me...
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#21]
My cousin helped clean out a house full of newspapers. After everything was in the dumpster he opened a newspaper to look at the old news. $100 bill was inside it. He had to go through all the papers in the dumpster but he found about $5000 in $100's and $20's. He also found a skeleton of a cat that hadn't been seen in a while under a stack of fallen newspapers. Worth checking everything out before you dispose of it. He also found quite a few small antiques and lots of old pocket knives between the newspapers. Hoarders and collectors sometimes look the same.

There is also some companies that will buy newspapers in good condition as they resell them 1 page at a time to people who want to know what was happening the day they were born etc...
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good call thanks. Its nasty as hell in the house. Like cant see the floor below 3ft nasty
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wear a dust mask. One of our members died from Hantavirus after being exposed to dried rat shit.
Good call thanks. Its nasty as hell in the house. Like cant see the floor below 3ft nasty
It is a good idea, but you'll need one labeled N95.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If the person was truly a hoarder you might want to make sure nothing of value is left before you turn it over to the demo guys.
View Quote
I just watched a home renovation show where the new owners bought the property and the estate.
It was piled high with crap. Then they started finding jars of money. Ended up finding more than they paid for the place.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If the person was truly a hoarder you might want to make sure nothing of value is left before you turn it over to the demo guys.
View Quote
Pick through everything and make sure you check for Stash spots. My great great uncle lived in a place like that. They are still finding hidden caches of cash, guns... and moonshine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What kind of siding is that on the house ? ? ?

If it's that old cement/asbestos stuff, you need to rip it off yourself and bury it, in a deep hole, before the city/state inspectors show up.

View Quote
eggzatcly
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Tag.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Tagged cause I wanna do the same eventually
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well after much discussion and probably more frustration from my contractor it's looking like we may do a barn with living quarters above as my full time new diggs.

just put everything in your name then lease out what your business needs to your business for twice the mortgage

profit
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That house looks chock full of asbestos - We wouldn't touch it and I doubt his would either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ask the fire department if they want to burn it for training.
That house looks chock full of asbestos - We wouldn't touch it and I doubt his would either.
This.

We get offers to burn old houses all the time and 99% of the time they are chock full of asbestos which we would have to mitigate before burning. Honestly getting the local FD to burn your house these days is tough. The amount of paperwork involved and the cost is just too much for most to bother with. If it does happen it is usually a joint effort between several local departments.

My suggestion is to wait for a dark cloudy night and burn it yourself.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm in upstate NY
View Quote
Where at? I'm in Livingston county
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Full head to toe tyvek and one of those full face respirators wouldn't be uncalled for in a hoarder's house.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Cool thread op.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where at? I'm in Livingston county
View Quote
I'm over in Erie County. Western upstate lol
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Imgur imbedded pics never show up on my mobile browser.

Tag for work (I hope).
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Safe Thread that's not a safe.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#38]
It's funny, were surveying a property for an estate auction that looks just like that. The old top was probably 80 something and had 2 houses and a large barn. In the house that was his parent's the entire place is filled with crap like posted in the picture. I don't think they threw away a scrap of paper.

He had a ton of guns too, but unfortunately the only thing the kids agreed on was the distribution of his collection among themselves. Only thing they missed was a black powder ball and cap pistol that was wrapped up in a shirt.

Best of luck with your new property though, you may find something really cool in all the garbage
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#39]
That pasture looks like shit.  Hope you will get someone up there to evaluate, spray and seed if necessary. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Good luck going through the old house.   I hope you find some cool or valuable stuff that you can share with us on here!   GD eats these 'safe threads' up!
Wish I was single.   I'd drive over and help for free food and beer.   I'm probly about 2.5hrs away.  
Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Treasure hunt.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#43]
<redundant post>
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Challenges:
* The dug well had trash pushed down in it. A lot. And, I had every reason to believe the previous tenants had done something to poison the drilled well. (They were bringing bottled water in for themselves.) New well, new budget item.
View Quote
You may need to plug/secure the old well depending on your local code.  They don't want an open well where chemicals/poisons have a means to get into the water table.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Get a GOOD respirator--not just a mask, and wear gloves!. . . I got pneumonia from knocking down a "cat-house" in by BIL's rental years ago. . 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hell yea man! Food Beer and Entertainment is on me! Bring the campers and tents, lets party!
View Quote
Where in NYS is this?

ETA: see you are way up and over from me in Westchester. . . 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Okay I'm here and grabbed a shit ton of pictures. Found some fine China and military uniforms. I'll upload when I get home I'm cutting some trees down
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#50]
OST due to similar interests.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top