Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If the blue lights are messing with your vision bad enough that it's dangerous, then you're driving too fucking fast.
View Quote

You have obviously never experienced what we have here in Kentucky.  Driving in the dark your eyes adjust to the dark surroundings, then these bright LEDs send intense beams of light straight into your eyes pretty much blinding you.  As you approach your eyes will slightly adjust to the bright light but guess what, everything past the light bar is still dark.  Did a drunk driver stagger out of his vehicle and into the road?  Even driving at 1mph you would no know until you passed the light bar.

Here is a good example of how the lights blind you.  Now imagine you are approaching a cop car on the side the road at night and the blue lights are that bright.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You mean like a 65mph highway where everyone is doing that speed while the cruiser on the side is firing all those blue camera flashes in everyone's face? It RUINS night vision. If there was a cop walking next to the car, no way I'd see them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the blue lights are messing with your vision bad enough that it's dangerous, then you're driving too fucking fast.

You mean like a 65mph highway where everyone is doing that speed while the cruiser on the side is firing all those blue camera flashes in everyone's face? It RUINS night vision. If there was a cop walking next to the car, no way I'd see them.

Isnt it a requirement in most states to move over a lane, or slow down to at least 20mph less than posted limit while passing an stopped emergency vehicle with lights on?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

They are not only distracting but so bright it makes it nearly impossible to see anything else in the area of the car.

It's only a matter of time before an officer on the road is killed by a driver who was blinded by the pulsating outer space disco lights on the damn car.
View Quote

This happened to me, I was completely blinded and unable to see any surroundings, or the officer who was dressed all in black until after I passed those fucking lights, which by then luckily wasn't too late to see where he was... but it easily could have been.

And it gives me some pretty uncomfortable feelings when I think about it.

On a two lane unlit road in the dark of night, the fuck are people supposed to do in these situations?

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mine has a high/low switch.
View Quote

They probably all do.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Disco Inferno!

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]
IBEWHS

(In Before Everyone Went Home Safe.)

TC
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Sorry, the lights probably are not as bright since you're up on your high horse.

To us normally denizens of the road, the shit is too bright to seem even going slow sometimes.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey cops.  Whatever you do?  Fuck you.  It's wrong.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#9]
There is a move in the fire service away from adding more lights to fire apparatus because of studies showing just what NorCal brought up.  The bright lights cause people to look towards the vehicles and cause motorists to steer into them.  Instead, NFPA standards call for retroflective chevron pattern stripes on the rear of the vehicle.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The advances in LED technology are great for sure but some police agencies are getting a bit carried away with the lights of patrol cars.

I understand the desire for increased visibility on the roads but when there are 10,000 super bright LEDs flashing all over the car at night I can't see a damn thing other than the lights.

They are not only distracting but so bright it makes it nearly impossible to see anything else in the area of the car.

It's only a matter of time before an officer on the road is killed by a driver who was blinded by the pulsating outer space disco lights on the damn car.
View Quote

AGREE!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Almost all of the LED lightbars have a dimmer mode for night use.  Unfortunately, most installers don't hook it up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bullshit. It doesn't matter how slow I'm driving if I can't fucking see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit. It doesn't matter how slow I'm driving if I can't fucking see.

Just because you don't know how to deal with road conditions, doesn't mean you aren't driving too fast.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#13]
LSP's are freaking ridiculous.  Instant night blindness when they're stopped on the side of the road.

ETA:  The main issue is on their SUVs.  The cars tend to have a little less out-of-control-ness, but they light the SUVs up like crazy.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I rest my case.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

some cars aren't too bad, slow blinking, and not retarded.

some are like a ridiculous challenge to drive a quarter mile with a strobing flashlight in your face without killing anyone regardless of what speed you're going.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How fast is too fast on a 55mph highway? 25? 30?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How fast is too fast on a 55mph highway? 25? 30?

If you're at risk of hitting someone, you're driving too fast for conditions.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Isnt it a requirement in most states to move over a lane, or slow down to at least 20mph less than posted limit while passing an stopped emergency vehicle with lights on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter where you are on the road or how slow you are going, if you can't see anything because the cop's flashing lights have destroyed your vision.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So, 6 lanes of highway traffic should knock it down from 70 to 35 because officer friendly is putting a sticker on a disabled vehicle?

I'm not sure your reasoning is sound, here... perhaps the LEDs should be lesser in quantity and lumens. A patrol car on the other side of a highway should not require my reduction in speed to safely pass his disco show.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, 6 lanes of highway traffic should knock it down from 70 to 35 because officer friendly is putting a sticker on a disabled vehicle?

I'm not sure your reasoning is sound, here... perhaps the LEDs should be lesser in quantity and lumens. A patrol car on the other side of a highway should not require my reduction in speed to safely pass his disco show.

Stop looking at the lights.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sometimes, when there are multiple cruisers, the lights are disorientating even when I am stopped.

And what a great way to get rear-ended.

And the new fucking amberlamps are even worse than cruisers.

I swear they are building them bigger just to get more lights on them.

The other night I came up on a wreck with 3 cruisers, 2 amberlamps, 2 wreckers, all looking like christmas trees.

And one cop with a small flashlight, standing in the middle or the road, attempting to direct traffic. He had his back to all the lights, and he couldn't understand why people were trying to run him over.

And he REALLY didn't like me explaining all the lights to him. I refused to move until I got out, looked around to see that the road was clear.

Told me I had an eye problem. . Told him he had an attitude problem.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Probably not.

He was hit in broad daylight. LED's aren't too bright during the day. That's the problem...During the day they are great, but at night they're too bright. Either guys aren't using dimming function, or they don't have it.

He was loading something in his trunk to get it out of the roadway. A lot of guys don't know that if you open your trunk on most patrol cars it will block your light bar from being seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Probably not.

He was hit in broad daylight. LED's aren't too bright during the day. That's the problem...During the day they are great, but at night they're too bright. Either guys aren't using dimming function, or they don't have it.

He was loading something in his trunk to get it out of the roadway. A lot of guys don't know that if you open your trunk on most patrol cars it will block your light bar from being seen.
Around here a lot of Staties do that when running radar on the side of the road. Makes a cruiser look like a car in trouble.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You have obviously never experienced what we have here in Kentucky.  Driving in the dark your eyes adjust to the dark surroundings, then these bright LEDs send intense beams of light straight into your eyes pretty much blinding you.  As you approach your eyes will slightly adjust to the bright light but guess what, everything past the light bar is still dark.  Did a drunk driver stagger out of his vehicle and into the road?  Even driving at 1mph you would no know until you passed the light bar.

Here is a good example of how the lights blind you.  Now imagine you are approaching a cop car on the side the road at night and the blue lights are that bright.  

http://gasconade.countynewslive.com/sites/default/files/u3/Hermann-PD-old-v-new-lights2.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://gasconade.countynewslive.com/sites/default/files/u3/Hermann-PD-old-v-new-lights2.jpg

I would just about guarantee that not only do I deal with police lights in general far more than you, but I've also probably dealt with police lights, at night, in Kentucky, since you. Unless you saw some between 2am and now. Not that Kentucky is in any way different than other places.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They probably all do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They probably all do.

Most don't.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Part of the power trip.
View Quote

Run lights and siren through an intersection and then get back with us.

All those lights and people STILL don't stop or get out of the way.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They probably all do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They probably all do.

Nope.  I mean, I'm sure the capability is there in the wiring of the bars, but the ones slapped on our marked fleet don't have a dimmer option in the cars, nor do they have a photocell to handle that task automatically.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One can only look so far away from the lights before one is no longer looking at the road at all.

I sometimes hold a hand up to cover the lights, but the glare on my windshield and the strobing lights on the road surface still completely fuck my ability to see ANYTHING beyond the lights, regardless of which side of the road the vehicle is on.

I find that more often than not, the culprits are city cops stopped in poorly lit/unlit areas.  They are used to making stops surrounded by street lights, and other ambient light sources, and forget to dim their lights (My theory, anyway)
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry, the lights probably are not as bright since you're up on your high horse.

To us normally denizens of the road, the shit is too bright to seem even going slow sometimes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My high horse is from dealing with them more than most, and knowing how to deal with them. And having buried people that were killed in broad daylight because most drivers don't pay attention during the day, or at night, halogen, strobe, or LED. Red, blue or amber.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Part of the power trip.

I don't think the issue is as much with lights on moving EVs, but more on the lights on them when they are stopped along the roadway.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#28]
They sell weapon-mounted and other "tactical" lights with a strobing feature, specifically to disorient subjects.
But yet somehow using the same theory on oncoming traffic makes officers safer?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#29]
The friggin lights are hypnotic at night. Its like they are drawing you in to them. You cant see anything around them or coming from the other direction. Snow plow trucks are just as bad. They do 20mph on a 60mph highway while scraping the shoulders and they got all those damn lights blinking like a disco and you cant see anything.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There is a move in the fire service away from adding more lights to fire apparatus because of studies showing just what NorCal brought up.  The bright lights cause people to look towards the vehicles and cause motorists to steer into them.  Instead, NFPA standards call for retroflective chevron pattern stripes on the rear of the vehicle.  

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt266/mbarry201/P1130207_zpsc2afb606.jpg

View Quote

And amber. Amber to the rear is mandatory if the agency has any common sense.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The advances in LED technology are great for sure but some police agencies are getting a bit carried away with the lights of patrol cars.

I understand the desire for increased visibility on the roads but when there are 10,000 super bright LEDs flashing all over the car at night I can't see a damn thing other than the lights.

View Quote

Welcome to four or five years ago.
Most of the LED flashers that I have seen in the last few years have HIGH (as bright as you describe) and LOW (much dimmer, able to let cars drive by safely) modes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't think the issue is as much with lights on moving EVs, but more on the lights on them when they are stopped along the roadway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Part of the power trip.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I don't know who comes up with more shit to complain about, GD or or women on their periods. Even Reddit is not this bad.
View Quote

Complaining about the complainers?

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Most of the new setups have a lower setting for night time use so you don't blind everyone.  Looks like some think brighter is better all of the time though.  
View Quote

Yes, they can also be set directionally as there is no need to be blinding oncoming traffic during a stop on a divided highway, or following officers in a pursuit, but as it happens, many police officers are too damn immature to not play with the pattern settings all the time so atleast some departments have them wired so they are either on or off even to the extent of making the flood lights inoperative as well, good thing they're paying extra for all those features. Also bean counters fall for marketing words like Super and Ultra which is how you end up with the brightest models visible over miles.

AST generally used all the features of theirs and with consideration, the locals here played and got refitted with the on/off switch, the first batch was the brightest availible the dept realized that brightness was a mistake first pursuit. The LEDs are kind of interesting though, if you don't look right at them they do very little to your vision.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They sell weapon-mounted and other "tactical" lights with a strobing feature, specifically to disorient subjects.
But yet somehow using the same theory on oncoming traffic makes officers safer?  
View Quote

rear facing lights should be slow flashing, no more than 60fpm, and should incorporate amber.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hey cops.  Whatever you do?  Fuck you.  It's wrong.
View Quote

Yeah we know
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't know who comes up with more shit to complain about, GD or or women on their periods. Even Reddit is not this bad.
View Quote

GD = LiveJournal for gun owning men.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Watch the first video a few times

Mfg: more brighter is more better

For pursuit or pulling someone over? Fine.

Once they are stopped, the disco show creates more of a hazard.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

rear facing lights should be slow flashing, no more than 60fpm, and should incorporate amber.
View Quote

I agree... lights like that aren't what we're bitching about.  
Well, not what I'm bitching about anyway.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#40]

it may have "caused" it....
Known fact that some people will actually steer toward the lights...like stupid fucking moths... "....shiny........."

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nope.  I mean, I'm sure the capability is there in the wiring of the bars, but the ones slapped on our marked fleet don't have a dimmer option in the cars, nor do they have a photocell to handle that task automatically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They probably all do.

Exactly.  Many installers aren't running a switch for the high/low option, but almost all lightbars have high/low capability.

If new fire trucks and ambulances need to have chevrons, there should be a requirement for police cars to have high/low switches (or to have automatic switches).
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#42]
In before they start making high performance LED cones!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Some people fixate on police car lights and BAM.  Where you look is where you steer.
View Quote

Yup.  Learned that gem in motorcycle safety class back in Nineteen Hundred and Seventy-Nine.  Always wondered why guys on motorcycles would hit a telephone pole.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#44]
If you watched that video in the above post, watch it again.

The driver is going slowly - were you looking at the lights?

If you watch it again, do you now see the people that were standing on the roadway side of the vehicles in between the two sets of lights?

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nailed it. my brother nearly ran a cop over as she was walking from the front of her cruiser to the other side of the road. this was in a 25mph zone and he had just enough time to slam on his breaks and not cream her. She shot him a sour look, but OP is right.... Icantsee.jpg
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Police lights bring g my wife to the brink of a siezure.   She has to close her eyes or look away just to get by.  Dangerous as hell.
View Quote

They should just wave at people to pull them over.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ive also read that Drunks are drawn to the lights and sometimes run into them. I agree they need to be toned down, however non drunks know to slow down when they see them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.  Let's make some posts complaining about it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great idea. Drive in the on-coming lane at 20mph (if you can see it). At least then the head-on crash wont be so bad. Going slower doesn't make those obnoxious lights any dimmer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#50]
In lasers there is a thing called blue light hazard, it's a danger that when exposed to a near single wavelength of blue light that is bright enough will permanently affect your ability to see the color blue. I honestly wonder if those blue led light bars are approaching that threshold.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top