Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You seem to have a poor understanding of the relationship between absolute brightness and perceived brightness in the human visual system.

http://what-when-how.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/tmp7ee117.png
View Quote
THIS
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
northeast of ATL, it got visibly cooler and darker, lights came on outside etc.. like dusk, but never fully dark (not quite northeast enough) - using the glasses it was just a tiny sliver of orange at the bottom.  didnt last long.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Well in Pittsburgh it definitely got darker and looking through the nifty glasses it looked pretty neat.    Very cool although certainly not really that stunning.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I enjoyed today's for what it was.
But yes, the next one will be better.
7 years is a long time...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I enjoyed today's for what it was.
But yes, the next one will be better.
7 years is a long time...
It's less than one Obama from now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was in the 80% area and it didn't even get darker AT ALL. Absolutely nothing changed. The sun didn't even look different when I glanced at it
View Quote

In the basement you mean?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You were looking in the wrong direction.

You were looking "up", at the sun, when you should have been looking "down", at the shadows.

This was at 82%.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got darker here, cooled off too. Looked at it with a pinhole viewer. Last one I saw was in 1979.
I'll be dead and gone by the time we get another.
View Quote
You're dying in 7 years?  The young hot redhead avatar had me fooled.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]
95% where I live.  Still some light, like a really heavy overcast day, but everything looked dim.  Temp dropped 15 degrees.  

My bees all went back in their hives.  I cracked one open and they were very docile which is very unusual for this time of the year - they are normally somewhat aggressive because we are in a nectar dearth.  

My chickens all went under a stand of trees and started cackling, then when the eclipse was at its fullest they huddled together under a tree.  

It was kind of cool.  Brought back memories of the 79 eclipse I saw when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I managed to see it for all of about 5 minutes as the moon was just starting to cover the sun, then we got a thunderstorm. I had a solar filter over my telescope so I was able to see some sun spots and what not but on the whole the experience was disappointing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#10]
crescent shaped sunlight though the trees

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm with you op. I'm in an 85% area and the change I noticed in sunlight output wasn't a whole lot. I don't have far to drive for the 2024 eclipse totality so I'm sure 100% will be better.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You were looking in the wrong direction.

You were looking "up", at the sun, when you should have been looking "down", at the shadows.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16397/IMG_20170821_131228775-286572.JPG
View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]
In Austin, Texas, the most noticeable effect was the fact that it seemed to get a little cooler..for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought it only got to about 50% when viewing it in my shoebox her in western Colorado.  Maybe it was more than that afterall.  But the temp dropped a good 5°, maybe a bit more.

But you could tell it was happening.  I didn't "need" to wear sunglasses while outside and was comfortable.   I have to wear them to be comfortable during full light you though.  

But yeah,  if you weren't in the path of totality of a solar eclipse then it's pretty much a non event.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#15]
88% here, it was like a really cloudy day for a few minutes. I looked at it for a second with a welding helmet. I've seen way more impressive weather events.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Most disappointing event ever .   Well close .  I thought the Mayan end of the world thingy was the most over hyped non event ever .  

And as far as the eclipse goes I was in the area of 90% to 100%  .   At no time did I think the world was gonna end .  It was cooler temp wise and just kinda grayish light.   kinda liked it .  Sure beat the hell out of the furnace heat down here .  If only for a moment .

gd
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#17]
"The eclipse was the most disappointing and overhyped thing ever"

I think you are being the most over dramatic person ever.

You don't remember the Y2K scare, the 2012 scare?

Those were both, FAR more "overhyped,"

infinitely so because the ratio of hype/event was

LITERALLY DIVIDING BY ZERO.

I think a lot of people read far more in to what it was supposed to be, and maybe they were disappointed.  That is THEIR fault, not a celestial event's fault.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I was in a 96% zone. It looked like an overcast day but with a weird tint to the light and shadows seemed fuzzy/out of focus. Kind of cool, but I was expecting it to be darker.

The local meteorologists that sounded like they were having orgasms during totality was more entertaining than the event itself.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#19]
OP missed Y2K.

Literally the most overhyped event ever.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Full totality was a completely different experience.  You truly had to be there to appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#21]
i'm in the 75%-80% zone, it was slightly darker, (maybe about a stop if that, if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't notice it)  shadows from trees took on a weird shape.  and i snapped this pic shooting through a cut up piece of x ray film.  

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XFPpNL]Behold! My eclipse masterpiece [234/365][/url] by jschneider928, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
People are so desperate to find any purpose or meaning to their mundane lives.  That's why we have stuff like this, sports, and Disney shit. Kinda sad. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember an eclipse when I was in middle school. There was nothing exciting about it then and nothing changed this time. Some people dropped tens of thousands of dollars on this "event". Then there are the people that made tens of thousands off of stupid people. Wish I were one of that group.
People are so desperate to find any purpose or meaning to their mundane lives.  That's why we have stuff like this, sports, and Disney shit. Kinda sad. 
LOL. You're seriously comparing a marvel of space to cheap entertainment?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#23]
it was a sign

and all prisoners were released

you aint seen bad yet but its commin.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Most amazing things you have experienced?  Holy shit I'm glad I don't have your life!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You missed the whole thing. When at 90 percent it was still very bright.

When totality hit it was AMAZING. One of the most amazing things I've ever experienced.

It's shocking how little sun needs to be showing to make it bright and warm.but at totality, it is freaking surreal.

I loved it
Most amazing things you have experienced?  Holy shit I'm glad I don't have your life!
Meh, i've done many things few others will do. I do alright, it was one of many, not the coolest, but up there
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#25]
It dimmed a bit...much better in the 1970s..damn millenials an 13rs ruined it I'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Craziest thing I've see up in the sky so far is when the Shuttle broke up on reentry. Could see hundreds of white streaks across the sky as far you could see. Nobody knew what it was at the time when we saw it at the gun show.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was in a Totality area. I was ready to be underwhelmed as I watched the "eclipse" in the 80's in Ga.

I was mildly interested this time watching the moon progress...but holy crap, when it hit totality and I took off my glasses, I have never been awestruck like that ever.  

It never got super Midnight dark though...more like a high latitude twilight. But man was the view incredible.
View Quote
This. I was blown away.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#28]
My office is NE of Atlanta in Buford, GA. I think we were 98% or 99%.

It was dark enough that all the street lights came on. And man did it feel good with no IR blistering us.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Most disappointing and overhyped thing ever? I guess you don't remember or weren't old enough for Y2K. 

But yeah, it was disappointing. It looked like I was wearing sunglasses for a while and that was it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Miami and notwithstanding the cloud, I concur, but it was great for a lot of people, just not me.

Chris
View Quote
this is exactly what we got here
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I told my wife it was the least exciting thing I've ever watched through a welding mask.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Attachment Attached File

Took this with a old canon eos with a 70-300mm telephoto lens, shooting through a pair of eclipse glasses. 85% totality here.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Competitive media like the world has never known....each hyping everything beyond belief competing for attention.

Hype is a variation of fake

Of course its gonna be a letdown
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#34]
96%er here.....was pretty freakin cool.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I was in totality in Nebraska with five coworkers.  First thing one guy said was, "Anyone not in totality just won't understand."
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Actually 2024 is the good better one for us here in the NorthEast.

Map of 2024 Total Solar Eclipse
View Quote
I thought there won't be another in the US for a 100 years, lol...guess it's not so speshal...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I honestly didn't have any interest in it. At all.
I sat at my desk and watched hunting videos.

Priorities. I has them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#38]
75% here and the light definitely changed quite a bit.  I used a pinhole setup and also had a welding mask for direct viewing.  It was neat.  It always is.  I've seen a few partial eclipses before. 

Kinda' disappointed that the Yosemite Caldera didn't let go and Lil' Kim didn't nuke us though.  Maybe next time!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#39]
We saw several stars. Line of totality biach!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#40]
It didn't get that dark here in SoCal but the sky did darken about the same as when a small cloud passes in front of the sun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I was in an 83% area. It got slightly darker, nothing crazy. The eclipse was obvious when you viewed it with glasses or a pin hole thing. Just glancing at the sun is pointless because the amount of light would overwhelm your eyes so you wouldn't see any trace of the moon.
I thought it was neat. In 2024 I may be compelled to make the trip to a totality area.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was in the 80% area and it didn't even get darker AT ALL. Absolutely nothing changed. The sun didn't even look different when I glanced at it
View Quote

Real life sucks.  Don't ever leave mom's basement. 

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Big difference if you are in the 100% area. I live in Lexington, SC, and we had 2 minutes 36 seconds of totality. It was pretty dark, all the night time security lights turned on, fire flies started flying and lighting up. Night bugs started buzzing, our neighborhood owl started hooting. It was awesome. If you are even in a 99% zone, you are not going to get the full effects, that 1% of sunlight keeps things pretty bright.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#44]
At 90%, it looked like the sky half an hour before sunset. Unfortunately it was partly cloudy so I didn't get the full experience. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Maybe South Park will have an episode covering it and make it entertaining.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#46]
OP must be too young to remember the Comet Kohoutek (aka "the comet that fizzled") if he or she thinks that today's eclipse was the most disappointing and over hyped celestial event ever.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#47]
It was really cool here in the 100% club. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#48]
96% and way cool here sitting on my back porch. Still plenty of light, but it cooled from 90* to 84* and a very slight cool, clammy breeze came up shortly after max eclipse. Did the crosshatched finger projection trick and looked at it through a solar filter instead of glasses.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Damn this place is always pissed at everything.

_DSC4066 by sseagle, on Flickr

Totality was nice, I wish I had a way to get the 360 degree sunset effect.. 7 more years... then again in 2045, might make it that long.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#50]
With glasses it was noticeable.  Without, it was hot and sunny
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top