Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Czech Skorpion VZ-61 Pistol. Light recoil , hi-cap magazines (20 rds) should be pretty easy for a non-shooter to be able to use with a little practice.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Czech Skorpion VZ-61 Pistol. Light recoil , hi-cap magazines (20 rds) should be pretty easy for a non-shooter to be able to use with a little practice.  

This and speaking of other similar layouts (tech 9, SMG sans stock style "pistols")...

You know that is interesting since here in the states it wouldn't have a stock and it kind of forces a 2 handed hold.  Might work well with a dot sight of some kind.  Could SBR it, but probably not happening with a non-gun person.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm confused, paveway.

You posed a question and are arguing with most that answer.  If you already have a strong opinion on the matter, what are you asking us for?

To justify your position; just because I argue doesn't mean I disagree.  It isn't arguing anyway, it is a discussion

Understood.  Well much of my position is along the lines of what badshovelhead is saying.  I don't think that a semi auto of any sort is a good choice for somebody who isn't going to train.  

I would suggest, as I already have, a good wheel gun.  Second to that, with a little bit of training would be a pump shotgun.  The key to that one would be teaching her to cycle the action thoroughly, not short stroking it.  Only with quite a bit more experience would I recommend an autoloader.

I'm not really worried about semiauto aspect, but the pistol aspect.  You could still go with a pump/lever pistol caliber gun if going to a long gun.

With a handgun you are limiting the effective range to across the room distances, even with some sort of aiming device (dot/laser).  What about across the yard distances - by this I mean a smaller suburbia yard?

IIRC wasn't there a post on here where a gunshop employee had a woman walk in the door wanting a HD weapon.  They took her out back and handed her a revolver with a crimson trace grip and had her shoot; then handed her a shotgun; then an AR with a dot sight.  She was most effective with the AR - I think missing with the other two weapons.

I can't remember the details.  It had pictures of the targets as well....

I handed my girlfriend my AR for the first time the other day. I just got done putting an Aimpoint on it. Her first shot, she dropped a bowling pin at about 20 yards. Though she was sitting on a picinic table, using the mag as a brace. Still pretty good. So I could believe that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Pump action shotgun would be my choice. The weapon requires little thought and very little maintenance to operate. It's also a very familiar weapon for non-shooters.

Buck shot for up close and slugs for greater range. A shotty will get it done!

Make it a 20 ga if family members are small stature.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M1 carbine-doesn't look scary and throws down with double the ft. lbs. of a .357 Magnum.

Lite, fast and simple. +1

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I voted for a Kel-Tec/PCC. I think it is one of the best REALISTIC SHTF guns out there. While this is not CCW specific, concealability is still very important.  In a natural disaster, there will be police/National Guard around eventually, and they will not ask questions first of a person walking around with a long arm.  In a "Red Dawn" scenario, long gun will get you shot on sight.

The Kel-Tec is easy to conceal in a backpack, under a car seat or even under a big coat.  Get a G17 or 19 to cover yourself until you can get the carbine out and they take the same mags and ammo.  The recoil is light and it handles easily.  As a PDW, it won't be subjected to high round counts, so the reliability/durability is good enough.  If you want more power, then consider the Kel-Tec .223 folding rifles.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#7]
"Conventional Wisdom" says 4 inch 38/357 revolver.

"Conventional Wisdom" has obviously never seen the shooting performance of a minimally trained beginner with a double action revolver under the slightest bit of pressure. Easy to shoot yes, easy to put lead on target....not at all.

Justin Kase says if one has time to run a full reliability check on gun, mags, and intended defensive ammo for the beginner. The Sig P225 is the choice, maybe a 220 or 226 for if the begginer is stronger or has bigger hands.

Why?
A carbine is a better choice but if it's just one gun the pistol gets the nod.
Yes there is a possibility a semi will jam and it is not likely a beginner will clear it quick enough to stay in the fight, but the odds of a quality gun that has been fully check out jamming are in my opinion much less than the odds of a beginner missing or only making non lethal hits on their target when shooting a double action revolver.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes there is a possibility a semi will jam and it is not likely a beginner will clear it quick enough to stay in the fight, but the odds of a quality gun that has been fully check out jamming are in my opinion much less than the odds of a beginner missing or only making non lethal hits on their target when shooting a double action revolver.

I've seen too many semi auto pistols jam in the hands of a neophyte to trust them.  They jam because the shooter limp wrists them.  When you combine that w/ the fact that many women just can't rack the slide on them, a semi isn't a good gun for a non shooter IMO.  Revolvers are easy to shoot.  Reloading quickly is a different issue, but better 6 for sure than an unreliable gun.  If not a revolver I'd say a pump shotgun (which is unfortunately easy to not cycle, or short stroke), or a carbine.  An M1 is easy to shoot and light.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#12]
AK/SKS is best for something to leave at home.  A small SKS, like a Norinco or similar, not a Yugo M59/66, because they are quite long and heavy for a rifle that only holds 10 rounds.

If they might take it with them, you really can't beat something like a Kel-Tec Sub 2000, because having a gun with you is the most important thing, i.e., a 9mm carbine in your hands is better than an AR15/AK47 in the safe/closet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've seen too many semi auto pistols jam in the hands of a neophyte to trust them.  They jam because the shooter limp wrists them.  When you combine that w/ the fact that many women just can't rack the slide on them, a semi isn't a good gun for a non shooter IMO.  Revolvers are easy to shoot.  Reloading quickly is a different issue, but better 6 for sure than an unreliable gun.  If not a revolver I'd say a pump shotgun (which is unfortunately easy to not cycle, or short stroke), or a carbine.  An M1 is easy to shoot and light.

Some semi auto guns are prone to limp wristing jams and some are not. All new shooters are prone to miss ALL six shots with double action revolver at more than a few feet. Make it a cheap revolver with a rough and heavy trigger pull and throw in some stress and the equation looks even worse.
Bottom line revolvers are easy to shoot but six misses are no better than a jammed gun.

Carbine is a better choice overall no doubt, but a concealable weapon is a no brainer if there is only one gun possible and you have to cover all scenarios.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm thinking Beretta Storm 9mm carbine.  So light can even be used with one hand, good capacity, not threatening looking, simple in operation, reversible controls, etc.

I'll have to admit I bought mine just kind of as a novelty plinker, but I put an Eotech on it with a quick disconnect LaRue mount and it really makes for a durable, accurate little platform.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm thinking Beretta Storm 9mm carbine.  So light can even be used with one hand, good capacity, not threatening looking, simple in operation.

What kind of mags are available?  Any 30 rounders?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm thinking Beretta Storm 9mm carbine.  So light can even be used with one hand, good capacity, not threatening looking, simple in operation.

What kind of mags are available?  Any 30 rounders?

I think twenty round, at least.  All mine are fifteen.  A more knowledgeable Beretta type might chime in at this point and tell us.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i'd say sks or ak, with a slight nod to the ak for possibly being easier to re-load.  
+1  If conscripts and some of the most feeble minded third-world illiterate children can pretty much just pick one up, load it, and shoot it - it's likely to be a semi-effective gun for other 'non-gun' trained people to use.

Considering how ineffective those soldiers are, I'd be looking elsewhere for an answer.

imo, i wouldn't blame the tools for the users' incompetence.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i'd say sks or ak, with a slight nod to the ak for possibly being easier to re-load.  
+1  If conscripts and some of the most feeble minded third-world illiterate children can pretty much just pick one up, load it, and shoot it - it's likely to be a semi-effective gun for other 'non-gun' trained people to use.

Considering how ineffective those soldiers are, I'd be looking elsewhere for an answer.

imo, i wouldn't blame the tools for the users incompetence.  

They are untrained for the most part.

These hypothetical people would be untrained.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I still can't believe the shotgun is winning...

Wanna Know why?

Quoted:
Single shot shotgun, with an elastic shell holder on the stock.
VERY simple (break open, put in shell, close, cock, fire).  
Inexpensive (less than $100).
Deadly.

Quoted:
Pump action shotgun would be my choice. The weapon requires little thought and very little maintenance to operate. It's also a very familiar weapon for non-shooters.

Thats why the shotgun is winning, its an idoit proof gun, point and shoot and do a lot of damage, scatter gun, you are gonna hit something. Low maintance or even no maintance. Idoit proof gun with big damage probabilities thats why shotgun is winning your poll!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I voted pistol, but really meant revolver.

revolver
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wanna Know why?

Quoted:
Deadly.

Quoted:

Thats why the shotgun is winning, its an idoit proof gun, point and shoot and do a lot of damage, scatter gun, you are gonna hit something. Low maintance or even no maintance. Idoit proof gun with big damage probabilities thats why shotgun is winning your poll!

Still it is probably to heavy to shoulder for many of the subject folks....

So now what?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Thats why the shotgun is winning, its an idoit proof gun, point and shoot and do a lot of damage, scatter gun, you are gonna hit something.

How much spread will a typical 18" shotgun loaded with '00 see at 10 foot distances?  Have you patterned one?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

imo, i wouldn't blame the tools for the users incompetence.  

They are untrained for the most part.

These hypothetical people would be untrained.

understood.  i'm just saying that just because a person has an ak doesn't mean that they have to wear a life preserver and hold it over their head to fire.  

forest's other post made some pretty good points though.  i can defintely see the merit in using a "pc carbine," especially an m1 carbine, or the kel-tec.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
imo, i wouldn't blame the tools for the users' incompetence.  

Why not?  It's a classic example of a untrained shooter using that weapon system.   The weight and recoil of the AK is working against the smaller shooters.

that's a good point, i hadn't been thinking of it that way.  i had in mind more of the spray-and-pray type shooters when you reffered to ineffective soldiers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I usually go with shotgun but have voted PCC due to low recoil and relative ease of use.

BEFORE that person gets any weapon they will need basic weapons familiarity.
Nothing is better than something you cannot use right and get it taken away from you and used against you.
Wait before flame
Just ask the home intruders that where shot by their own weapon because they left the safety own
One will Never invade a home again

If the person can handle a shotgun well I would use it before a PCC but thats me and I have only been using a pump shotgun for 35 years
Coures I get to choose between AR, SKS, Shotgun, (pump or auto) 10/22 and of course pistol for my PDW in the house
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I believe that a 9mm AR recoils more than a .223 AR.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This is a great video Big Bore did a couple of years ago, and posted it in the AR General Discussions forum.

It compares an inexperienced Female shooter trying a handgun, shotgun and AR, to see which would make a better 'home defense' gun for her.

Big Bore's Untrained Female Shooter Experiment

Considering weight/recoil you could substitute pistol cartridge carbine for an AR in the results.

that's a pretty compelling video.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is a great video Big Bore did a couple of years ago, and posted it in the AR General Discussions forum.

It compares an inexperienced Female shooter trying a handgun, shotgun and AR, to see which would make a better 'home defense' gun for her.

Considering weight/recoil you could substitute pistol cartridge carbine for an AR in the results.

And not so much being specifically for the AR, but for low recoil shoulder weapons with optics.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
.460 Wby Mag with a pistol grip stock and a 16" barrel!

...with a mini-y comp brake on it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#33]
It may be a littlle more expensive than the ones you listed but I vote PS90 because of ease of use and ease of sighting is just superb all there is to it is load mag charge and fire and its fully ambidextrous.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wanna Know why?

Quoted:
Deadly.

Quoted:

Still it is probably to heavy to shoulder for many of the subject folks....

So now what?

Maybe you didn't see this above "Make it a 20 ga if family members are small stature" What are the subject folks? 2 year olds? My wife who is 4'11 on a good day, 115 on her period, can operate a 20 ga. So who is doing the shooting kids in diapers? Come on man! To heavy my ass, plus you can always hold it at the hip and just click away!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And not so much being specifically for the AR, but for low recoil shoulder weapons with optics.

for sure, although an ar would be my first choice (naturally ).  

what do the beretta/kel-tec carbines generally run?  are they that much cheaper than a very basic (but non-vulcan) ar?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup!

No, no, .50 BMG pistol with an artillery-sized brake and a 20X scope !
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what do the beretta/kel-tec carbines generally run?  are they that much cheaper than a very basic (but non-vulcan) ar?

Around here the Kel-Tecs run $300-$350 last time I checked.  I had thought of getting one for the wife, but she ended up with a LW AR I built orginally a 'Retro' project for me; however, she ended up with it as he found it preferable to the M4 bareled carbine.

hmm, well in that case, and assuming that they're reliable, they would seem like a pretty decent choice for the op's needs.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats why the shotgun is winning, its an idoit proof gun, point and shoot and do a lot of damage, scatter gun, you are gonna hit something.

How much spread will a typical 18" shotgun loaded with '00 see at 10 foot distances?  Have you patterned one?

Well the so called "Screnario asked PDW", when I think of that I think of someone that is backed into a corner or defending a small area i.e. home. Some people are talking about rilfes and long range weapons, when I think of the screnario I think of someone with no gun knowledge that is just protecting their life! So to answer your question I think they would be more then fine if the person was within 10 feet!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well the so called "Screnario asked PDW", when I think of that I think of someone that is backed into a corner or defending a small area i.e. home. Some people are talking about rilfes and long range weapons, when I think of the screnario I think of someone with no gun knowledge that is just protecting their life! So to answer your question I think they would be more then fine if the person was within 10 feet!

I'm referring to the implication that the shotgun is going to have enough spread that 'you are gonna hit something', 'scatter gun', etc.  It is not, the pattern will be very tight.  You have to aim a shotgun as much as any other type of gun.

Apologies if I misread your post.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#44]
i voted shotgun.. supremely versatile...and when was the last time you needed to clean your pump action 12 guage?.................... dont worry ill wait......
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm referring to the implication that the shotgun is going to have enough spread that 'you are gonna hit something', 'scatter gun', etc.  It is not, the pattern will be very tight.  You have to aim a shotgun as much as any other type of gun.

Apologies if I misread your post.

You are right, I should have used a different word other then scattter gun, what I ment is the fact that according to the OP, an untrained shooter could pick up a shotgun point and shoot! I think for an untrained shooter, a shotgun is easy to operate, clean, load, and fire. Thats my opinion, and according to the poll, many others agree, just haven't posted anything to back it up!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
You are right, I should have used a different word other then scattter gun, what I ment is the fact that according to the OP, an untrained shooter could pick up a shotgun point and shoot! I think for an untrained shooter, a shotgun is easy to operate, clean, load, and fire. Thats my opinion, and according to the poll, many others agree, just haven't posted anything to back it up!

Fair enough.  I'm of the opinion that anything which requires manual cycling is going to be very hard for an inexperienced shooter to do under duress.  I also think that having to charge a weapon, manipulate a selector, etc is asking too much.  I want something they can pick up and start firing with no more thinking required.  To me a 4" S&W 686+ fits the bill.  7 shots of a respectable caliber.  You could argue for something more like a SIG, but limp wristing is a concern as well in my opinion.  Revolvers are in my mind the easiest gun for somebody who knows shit about guns to fire in a life or death situation.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough.  I'm of the opinion that anything which requires manual cycling is going to be very hard for an inexperienced shooter to do under duress.  I also think that having to charge a weapon, manipulate a selector, etc is asking too much.  I want something they can pick up and start firing with no more thinking required.  To me a 4" S&W 686+ fits the bill.  7 shots of a respectable caliber.  You could argue for something more like a SIG, but limp wristing is a concern as well in my opinion.  Revolvers are in my mind the easiest gun for somebody who knows shit about guns to fire in a life or death situation.

Thats fine, so we can agree to disagree! haha I agree something like a revolver is easy for an untrained shooter to use just pull the trigger till you run out of ammo, which depending on the model probably 6 rounds. With the revolver my one concern is the acc. of the shooter, I am thinking 15 yards max for an untrained shooter to hit the target, where as I think my point was I would put more money of them hitting a target at 15 yards with a shotgun. Like I said I guess we can agree to disagree!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

thats a good argument for a revolver.. but there is also a affect of a racking 12 guage thats scares off bad guys... i think a revolver or 12 guage are sufficient... however training on both is critical...
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

there is also a affect of a racking 12 guage thats scares off bad guys...

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top