BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 Tire Rack, if you ask them they will give you the TPMS codes so you can DIY your winter & summer sets with a Quickset.
I don't think they will trigger them though, so I got the ATEQ too...,
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct. No problems with either and would order from them again for my next set.

Last set of tires I bought online I took to a local Walmart and had them mounted and balanced. Was under $40 for the entire set of 4. The local "authorized" installer wanted $100 to M&B the set.

BK
View Quote

I'd trust the shop charging a $100, which is way to high btw, before trusting some young kid at Wally World. It should cost somewhere in the $60-80 range based on size of wheel and tire combo.

Tire rack is gtg op, however I'd go with a tire rack recommended installer. Or have your regular shop install tires you order, drop ship them straight to the shop.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
can't say that I have, I've shopped there but the shipping usually makes me think twice

if you have a Discount Tire in the area I'd recommend them
View Quote

Discount is fine as long as you don't care about your vehicle.

EVERY DAMN time I have brought a vehicle in there for tires, they have scratched or gouged the wheels,

Also, do not ever buy their house brand "MB" wheels. Garbage.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I need tires for my work car.

The Tire Rack has a set that is perfect for my car and the price is far lower than the local brick and mortar stores.
I'd like to order the tires, ship them to a Tire Rack affiliated local shop and have that shop install the tires.
However, I've never done business with the Tire Rack.  I'm leery of at least one of the local affiliated shops (Firestone).

Anyone here done business with The Tire Rack?
View Quote

Why are you leery of the Firestone store?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Excellent.  However, for the last ~10 sets of tires that I bought (all from Tirerack), every purchase was considerably cheaper than any local dealer/chain (even the chain that installed the Tirerack tires for me.)  To say it's not worth it is just not true in each of those cases.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you can mount and balance the tires yourself or have a buddy who will do it for a case of beer, it's not worth it.  Most shops will charge you a fee to make up for the profit they're losing when you supply the tire.
Sorry but you are misinformed/flat out wrong.

I just bought tires for my truck.  Tire Rack/Amazon/etc. prices were all higher than simply ordering through my local tire shop.
Excellent.  However, for the last ~10 sets of tires that I bought (all from Tirerack), every purchase was considerably cheaper than any local dealer/chain (even the chain that installed the Tirerack tires for me.)  To say it's not worth it is just not true in each of those cases.

I used to use Tire Rack and nothing wrong with them but I found I could buy Bridgestones or Michelins at a local shop for roughly the same overall price after installation and shipping for the Tire Rack tires.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]

The Tire Rack?

Never heard of them.

Stupid thread is stupid.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I can understand some big chain stores being priced higher.

But you should be able to find a local store who can beat or at least match Tire Rack.  Tire Rack is not worth it to buy online then have to find an installer when I can go into town and go to one of the local stores and tell them what I want and the price Tire Rack has and get them put on and not have to deal with shipping and all that.

Nobody in GD seems to have the "buy local" mentality anymore.

And I don't think they carry Nitto tires.  fuck them, nittos are hands down the best.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]
We purchase from them at work occasionally for the oddball tire we can't source locally, always been a good transaction.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Find what you want from them, than call discount tires they can usually beat any ones prices. than go with whoever's cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Good to go
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Tires & light repairs are one class of products where I like to have a partnership type relationship with a local shop.   This means that I want them to prosper for dealing with me and visa versa.  They bust their ass to take care of me and my family when we need flat repairs etc.  

The overhead in their B & M business model is what it costs to be there to get us back on the road asap when needed.   There's no way I would ever ask them to install product I'd bought elsewhere.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tires & light repairs are one class of products where I like to have a partnership type relationship with a local shop.   This means that I want them to prosper for dealing with me and visa versa.  They bust their ass to take care of me and my family when we need flat repairs etc.  

The overhead in their B & M business model is what it costs to be there to get us back on the road asap when needed.   There's no way I would ever ask them to install product I'd bought elsewhere.  

View Quote

Agreed.  To me, asking them to install tires you got somewhere else for a few bucks cheaper is insulting to them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Both tire stores in our town are Tirerack certified installers.  They are both quite happy to do our tire installation work.  They get paid to mount and install the tires.  They also get paid to do other work I ask them to do while the vehicle is in their shop, to include an alignment if it is needed.  

There are numerous approaches to buying tires including local shops, Costco/Sams, national chains, Tirerack, etc.  Choose the one that works for you based on price, location, convenience, trust.  The best approach for one person may not be the best for someone else.  It's nice to have options.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
GTG
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use Discount Tire direct

Compare prices with the TR shipping and the road hazard replacement

I've gotten no questions asked replacement that was free shipped
View Quote

This, if you have a Discount Tire store close by just order them from DT Direct, have the shipped to you home and take them to the store and have them installed.  Discount TIre per contract charges the same amount whether you order them online or at the store.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Local shop told me it's cheaper to buy the tires from The Tire Rack and have them install them.
Who's to argue?  

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#19]
You cannot go wrong with Tire Rack.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#20]
They're great, I just had a set of tires shipped to local shop. Have bought numerous times from them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Multiple cars, hard on tires, etc...

Tire Rack gets a lion's share of my business.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#22]
UPDATE

Ordered a set of tires this morning from the Tire Rack.  The price of the tires was far cheaper then Discount Tire.
No sales tax either.
Going to ask on my HTF for a decent shop to mount and balance once they get here.

Next stop, slotted rotors and ceramic pads.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
UPDATE

Ordered a set of tires this morning from the Tire Rack.  The price of the tires was far cheaper then Discount Tire.
No sales tax either.
Going to ask on my HTF for a decent shop to mount and balance once they get here.

View Quote

GREAT!  They are GTG and awesome in my book!  I've ordered tires (multiple times), wheels and wheel locks from them all without issue.  Once I even had them deliver the tires directly to the garage I was going to use for installation (pre-arranged with garage).  I lost the key to my wel locks, they looked up my order and sent me a replacement wheel lock key free of charge.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
can't say that I have, I've shopped there but the shipping usually makes me think twice

View Quote

I always get the Tire Rack price, go to Discount, and they'll match it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Ordered many parts and tires from them. Good to go. About he only gripe I have is that with some tires they might not be all in stock at the same warehouse, so they might ship one from one location and three from some other place across the country. And you pay the increased shipping....and of course don't arrive at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I am absolutely loyal to Discount Tire.  I wouldn't dream of going elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Used them several times, very happy. Lots of good info on their website and good comparison and search tools. They're the Amazon of tires.

Unless I can get a better deal for a tire that I think is good from Costco (factoring in install and shipping from Tire Rack), then Tire Rack is my go-to choice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I need tires for my work car.

The Tire Rack has a set that is perfect for my car and the price is far lower than the local brick and mortar stores.
I'd like to order the tires, ship them to a Tire Rack affiliated local shop and have that shop install the tires.
However, I've never done business with the Tire Rack.  I'm leery of at least one of the local affiliated shops (Firestone).

Anyone here done business with The Tire Rack?
View Quote

I'v got most of my tires from them over the last 12 years.
always worked out great.
i had them shipped to my house and then brought them to the local shop for install.
they will often have deals for free shipping.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought three sets of tires last year.  Tire Rack could not touch Costco or Discount tire pricing.  Think about who is going to warranty those tires.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I have been using them for years for Goodyear's my vette.  I just recently picked up a new set for the rear, which beat everyone's prices, even with the installation.  As for the warranty, they will send you a new tire if you have the road hazard coverage.  I had the local Goodyear store install them, and he told me that for my next set, he would match TR's price, so I may go that route next time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Tire rack is fine but I shop around.
I care less who to give payment to.
I use http://www.onlinetires.com/
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#32]
My experience:

I've bought at least 4 sets of tires from Tire Rack. They always had what I wanted and shipped it quickly. Tires were drop shipped to my local affiliate each time. Each time my local affiliate treated me like I was a gigantic pain in their ass. They treated me like a freeloader who was ripping them off and wasting their time. Once they mounted a truck tire heavy tire side indexed to heavy wheel side that required about 90 degrees of wheel weights to balance. When I asked them to break the bead, index the tire and rebalance they went into a tirade about me and my #%}{*^ Tire Rack order. If I buy the tires from the shop they are suddenly all nicely nice.

TL;DR: your affiliate might give you crap service for not buying through them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My experience:

I've bought at least 4 sets of tires from Tire Rack. They always had what I wanted and shipped it quickly. Tires were drop shipped to my local affiliate each time. Each time my local affiliate treated me like I was a gigantic pain in their ass. They treated me like a freeloader who was ripping them off and wasting their time. Once they mounted a truck tire heavy tire side indexed to heavy wheel side that required about 90 degrees of wheel weights to balance. When I asked them to break the bead, index the tire and rebalance they went into a tirade about me and my #%}{*^ Tire Rack order. If I buy the tires from the shop they are suddenly all nicely nice.

TL;DR: your affiliate might give you crap service for not buying through them.
View Quote

I like Discount tire.  They actually gave my family lots of free services, no questions asked.  Even on tires
not bought from them.  

Puncture?  Patch.
Question?  Answered
Tire change?  No problem

It's not a local thing.  They do that sort of thing because they think it builds customer loyalty.
It does.  At least with me.  

I am a big fan of Discount Tire.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#34]
A guy I work with buys from them and recommended them to me.  I personally have not used them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I buy all my tires from Tire Rack, but I'm purchasing specialized tires that most local tire shops simply don't carry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#36]
I have done business with TireRack, and was very satisfied.

However, I would NEVER carry any tire to WalMart to be mounted. I had 2 experiences with them, the first time, the stupid guy wrung off a wheel stud, then comes and tells me I need to carry it to dealer to get it fixed. Second time, they crossthreaded several nuts by just jamming them on with the airwrench instead of starting them correctly.  They paid for the cost of the fix both times, but I will not be going back.

Oh, and I forgot the time they tried to remove the fake nuts on my wheelcovers......What idiots.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I beat the Tire Rack price on my last set of Michelins. Tire rack also charges tax here in Georgia. Tire rack also deleted my review of a crap set of Bridgestones.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

UPDATE

No sales tax either.

View Quote
Did you check on Tire Rack to see if they have a local installation affiliate?

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I did twice. Fast, good service.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Several times, good prices, zero problems
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I haven't found them to be any cheaper than I can do locally, when I shop around. In fact, one local place will price match them.

But, if they're your option they're fine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Right down the road from me.  But the last time I ordered from them I bought some Conti DWS Extreme tires for my DD.  One had a flat spot.  Funny as I read a review on tirerack.com about this exact issue on these exact tires.  They took care of it however.  Other than that, I've never had an issue.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I find that to be problematic, since I have reported to my guy there several reviews that were clearly for the wrong tires that never got changed.

Example: Kumho rally tires being reviewed on a Corvette talking about fry grip.

If you want to IM me info, I'll call my contact and bitch about it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I beat the Tire Rack price on my last set of Michelins. Tire rack also charges tax here in Georgia. Tire rack also deleted my review of a crap set of Bridgestones.

I find that to be problematic, since I have reported to my guy there several reviews that were clearly for the wrong tires that never got changed.

Example: Kumho rally tires being reviewed on a Corvette talking about fry grip.

If you want to IM me info, I'll call my contact and bitch about it.

Well I can see that we don't need another Authorized Tire Rack Installer in this thread, you have it handled.

I have had nothing but positive interactions with Tire Rack as a Authorized Installer.  They are also some of the most helpful on the phone with customers.  Nothing but good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I have used them once and will probably use them again.  I had the tires shipped to my house.  Their website is very useful for researching tires.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#47]
GTG. Got a nice set of Coopers from them for the cheapest price I'd seen.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Used to buy tires from TireRack exclusively. Can't afford to anymore, shipping just KILLS it.

DiscountTireDirect.com or WalMart.com for the last four sets, at least.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which Bridgestones?  I am thinking about a set for my 929.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I did twice. Fast, good service.
View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top