User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What do you expect to happen when you pray to something other than God?  I fully believe we will find out that there is a demon named Mary, Peter, etc. when we get to heaven.  By praying to "saints" you may be inviting demons into your house.  Just my thought.

I think this just gonna get more interesting...
Where the fuck is that Popcorn eating smiley?

Not trying to be offensive...But I just can't see that this practice is scriptural.  

If you can post a scripture to back up this religious act, I'll apologize...

I personally don't give a rats ass.... I'm just looking forward to the Sarge's reply...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Time to review the meds with your Doc Sarge!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What do you expect to happen when you pray to something other than God?  I fully believe we will find out that there is a demon named Mary, Peter, etc. when we get to heaven.  By praying to "saints" you may be inviting demons into your house.  Just my thought.

<sigh>

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]

I personally don't give a rats ass.... I'm just looking forward to the Sarge's reply...

Here is my reply.

AT no time did I say I pray to Mother Mary in this post or any other post.  I pray to God, the Lord Jesus Christ, the Word.

You can damn my symbolism all you want but all religions have it.  That is why almost ALL Christian groups go to a CHURCH every Sunday.  The church is symbolic of the House of God, so get the heck of your high horse and realize we are all on the damn same team.

Sgt(ifitain'tCatholicit'sacopy)ar15
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then there is the angles..........

SGtar15

Did this happen during math class?

LOL, that's exactly what I was thinking, Tactical.

Oh, BTW: When come back bring 3.14159.......
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There very well could be a "spirit". I tend to maintain a skeptical view towards such things, but living in VA, close to the battlefields, and close to Clifton (considered by many to be a very haunted area), sometimes it seems there is too much evidence for ghosts to be false. Anecdotally, my health teacher from a year ago talked about the ghost in his house. For example, when he was painting, he had a boombox playing Britney in another room, and he heard the music go off. He went in, saw it was unplugged, and plugged it back in. The plug then shot out of the wall. Of course, he and everybody else could be full of bullshit, but sometimes I hear quiet voices, feel things where there are no things to feel... could just be that I'm schizo, though.

A [persistent] ghost with taste, no less.......
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Did you see the size of that chicken!?!?!

You guys! You guys!..........

<---see the avatar.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]
[Edited to remove 2x post - see below]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Does Carol Ann live in your house?

Nope.  Just in my television set!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I know some Jewish folks that have some moving objects... literally.

I don't think it is a Catholic thing.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi Sarge,

To me it is being open to this kind of thing and the catholic faith leaves one more open to this than those who strictly follow the bible.

It has been mentioned before on this thread about the worship of "saints and others" and this is the sign post where Christians differ from catholics. There is nothing about statues and relics and veneration of "holy things" in the New Testament of Jesus Christ. When you open yourself up to the mysticism of the catholic faith and its pantheon of demi-gods/saints/popes/mary etc. you are then open to the "other side".

We, my family and fellow Christians... NEVER experience these things. Never. I would have heard or know of some such things.

Those who dabble with anything other than the Word are open to the "other side". No angelic seeming beings, no nothing... nada.. goose... squat... zip. They dont intersect our lives as we are far removed from anything that would draw us near. No mysterious rites, no statues, no repetitive prayers, no bowing.... nothing. Think about the rosary and try and connect that to Jesus thru scripture alone. It cant happen.

We, you and I , are on the same side on many things Sarge... but our religious philosophy is as far apart as you could ever imagine. We do NOT worship the same God.

Some may condemn me as divisive and whatever else they can think of, but there it is brother. You are indeed open to "things" where I quite simply am NOT. Never will be either.

Just my .02 cents.

Dram out
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hi Sarge,

We do NOT worship the same God.

Unless you are a muslim then you are full of it.

What "true believer" church do you belong to?

Sgtar15

PS  Hint...it is probably on off shoot of the Catholic Faith....and we don't worship symbols or saints.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry Sarge,

The actual church started by Christ has never had anything to do with the catholic faith. You follow tenets and principals that are created and regulated by man. Catholic dogma and principals are not now, nor have ever been connected anything other than mildly to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I belong to the body of Christ, His Church, not the church of the bishop of rome.

I am NOT a protestant, that would simply mean I am a catholic that has protested catholocism. I protest NOTHING. I follow the Word, never never the bishop of rome or his minions or his decrees.

You follow those things not contained in the Word, and thus have separated yourself from Christ by following man and not the Word.

We two are apart, not together friend Sarge. And more is the pity at that.

Dram
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Chill pill time folks.

As it was taught to me, "In Christ crucified unity, in doctrine liberty."

wganz

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi Sarge,

We do NOT worship the same God.

Unless you are a muslim then you are full of it.

What "true believer" church do you belong to?

Sgtar15

PS  Hint...it is probably on off shoot of the Catholic Faith....and we don't worship symbols or saints.

We didn't leave the Catholic Church, The Catholic Church left us.  "We" are the Body of Christ, The Church.  Please show me where praying to saints is condoned in the Bible.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#16]
It could be that you are haunting yourself, or just haunted. I have a ghost. I have had different encounter's over the years in all different parts of the state I live in. I have also moved a lot. It is very rare that these things happen, but I did read somewhere that people can be haunted just as easily as a house can be.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Please take a look at the first century church.  (Clue: It's in the Bible, namely Acts.)  Then listen to one of our sermons.

www.cccmesa.com/weekend/sermonarchives.htm

I think you'll notice that they are very straightforward and directly taken from scripture.  This is the format of the first Century Church.  MAN has added the Rosary, chanting, ritualistic prayer, prayer to saints (idolatry), infant baptism, celibacy of priests, hierarchical "spiritual" authority of the priest hood, etc.  How can you practice these things (very similar, I might add to PAGAN practices) and then wonder why you are under spiritual oppression?

I will not say that you do not worship the same GOD or that you do not have Salvation.  It is not for me to judge.  However, I will say that according to the Bible, Catholics are SERIOUSLY misguided and revere ritual over intimacy with God.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Does Carol Ann live in your house?

www.unifilm.uni-osnabrueck.de/filme3/Poltergeist2.jpg

"Mommy, I'm scared..help me mommy..mommy. mommy where are you. I'm scared"

did you have bad dreams very often???who was the guy that told you about the spirit following you.??
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

What do you expect to happen when you pray to something other than God? I fully believe we will find out that there is a demon named Mary, Peter, etc. when we get to heaven. By praying to "saints" you may be inviting demons into your house.  Just my thought.

Please expound on this, if you would.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have never understood why people find this so confusing.
Take the Hail Mary for example.

Hail Mary full of Grace, the Lord is with thee.  Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.  Holy Mary mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.  Amen.

We are not praying to Mary we are asking her to pray for us.  I for one think that the mother of God has a little pull with Him.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sorry Sarge,

The actual church started by Christ has never had anything to do with the catholic faith. You follow tenets and principals that are created and regulated by man. Catholic dogma and principals are not now, nor have ever been connected anything other than mildly to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I belong to the body of Christ, His Church, not the church of the bishop of rome.

I am NOT a protestant, that would simply mean I am a catholic that has protested catholocism. I protest NOTHING. I follow the Word, never never the bishop of rome or his minions or his decrees.

You follow those things not contained in the Word, and thus have separated yourself from Christ by following man and not the Word.

We two are apart, not together friend Sarge. And more is the pity at that.

Dram

Wrong.  Jesus said "You are Peter and upon you I shall build my Church."

Peter was the first Pope.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Please take a look at the first century church.  (Clue: It's in the Bible, namely Acts.)  Then listen to one of our sermons.

www.cccmesa.com/weekend/sermonarchives.htm

I think you'll notice that they are very straightforward and directly taken from scripture.  This is the format of the first Century Church.  MAN has added the Rosary, chanting, ritualistic prayer, prayer to saints (idolatry), infant baptism, celibacy of priests, hierarchical "spiritual" authority of the priest hood, etc.  How can you practice these things (very similar, I might add to PAGAN practices) and then wonder why you are under spiritual oppression?

I will not say that you do not worship the same GOD or that you do not have Salvation.  It is not for me to judge.  However, I will say that according to the Bible, Catholics are SERIOUSLY misguided and revere ritual over intimacy with God.

Where in the Bible does it say that?  Catholics do not revere ritual over God.  Ritual's are just ways to express our closeness with God.  No Catholic I have ever talked to thinks that any Saint is on equal footing with God.  We are simply asking them to pray with us to God.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I believe you describe a poltergeist. I am too busy to check it out, you can and see if it fits.

Now, I am the  original skeptic, especially when people describe this kind of stuff. However, I am also openminded enough to believe that there is more out there than we are aware of. Had a few wierd experiences as a young adult when I was not always such a good person. Nothing awful, just lived life in the fast lane for awhile and I think it caught up with me. It did make me reconsider the direction I was going though.

Anyhow, if there is a spirit of some sort around you it may be attached to a possession of yours. Anything you got about time this all started??

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hi Sarge,

To me it is being open to this kind of thing and the catholic faith leaves one more open to this than those who strictly follow the bible.

We, my family and fellow Christians... NEVER experience these things. Never. I would have heard or know of some such things.

Those who dabble with anything other than the Word are open to the "other side". No angelic seeming beings, no nothing... nada.. goose... squat... zip. They dont intersect our lives as we are far removed from anything that would draw us near. No mysterious rites, no statues, no repetitive prayers, no bowing.... nothing. Think about the rosary and try and connect that to Jesus thru scripture alone. It cant happen.

We, you and I , are on the same side on many things Sarge... but our religious philosophy is as far apart as you could ever imagine. We do NOT worship the same God.

Some may condemn me as divisive and whatever else they can think of, but there it is brother. You are indeed open to "things" where I quite simply am NOT. Never will be either.

Just my .02 cents.

Dram out

Jeeeez- Here we have a nice thread, debating whether Sarge is haunted, haunting himself, or simply insane.  Dram Hi-jacks the thread, and turns it into a Catholic bashing free for all.  

Dram- what are they teaching you at your church?  30% of the earths population worshipping allah, and wants to kill, or convert you.  At least another 50% of the population don't give a shit one way or the other.

For you to use you precious time and energy to slam Catholics seems awfully silly to me.

I don't claim to be Catholic, but I know a lot of them, and guess what???

They DO worship the same GOD.  They call him GOD, and Jesus.   Same book too.  You can parse words all you like but IS the same GOD!   Sorry to disappoint you.  Guess your club is not as exclusive, or elite as you thought.  

Born again denominations confuse me at least as much as the militant atheists, but I respect any faith that compels you to vote for freedom.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I am discussing and debating and elucidating about the Sarge and his "haunting".

I gave a VERY valid reason why he could be haunted, and provided first hand examples to illuminate my theory.

If you, or anyone else decides to disagree with me, I can live with that. Can you?

One either accepts or rejects my theory, and it is worth exactly what you paid for it. Nothin'. It was a freely given opinion based on factual experience.

If you want to say I am bashing anyone, you are dead wrong. Dont like my posts? Dont read them.

I merely respond and comment as is usual.

Btw, mary is simply the birth mother of Christ. The cath church affirms she is the co-redeemer of our sins along with Christ Himself. I listened to a cath radio show about this same thing. Mary also had children other than Christ with her physical husband, both brothers and sisters, cath church says no. I will give the scriptures for that proof if anyone requires it.

Dram out
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#26]
maybe its the Feds watching you, their bugging devices have some kind of feedback that you keep hearing.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I see dead people typing

Or uhh no, I think it's just stupid people on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#28]

MMMMmmmmmm
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Jeeeez- Here we have a nice thread, debating whether Sarge is haunted, haunting himself, or simply insane. .

THANK YOU!!!

Now lets FOCUS PEOPLE!

My life might be at stake here!

Sgatr15

PS  Did you just hear that?  Sounded like a kitchen knife dropping.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What do you expect to happen when you pray to something other than God? I fully believe we will find out that there is a demon named Mary, Peter, etc. when we get to heaven. By praying to "saints" you may be inviting demons into your house.  Just my thought.

Please expound on this, if you would.

In the catholic churches’ zeal to convert "heathens", it was common practice to adopt local deities and ascribe to them the names of the saints (this was quite common in the Caribbean for instance).  Since we know that demons are often the "deities" tribal peoples pray to, do you think that it changed just because the parishioners stopped calling the demon “rain god” and started calling it “Peter”?  I think not.  A rose by any other name…

Quoted:
I have never understood why people find this so confusing.
Take the Hail Mary for example.
Hail Mary full of Grace, the Lord is with thee.  Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.  Holy Mary mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.  Amen.
We are not praying to Mary we are asking her to pray for us.  I for one think that the mother of God has a little pull with Him.

First of all, Mary is not Holy any more than any good, solid, Christian is Holy.  Second, she is not the mother of God, she is the mother of Jesus (the part of Jesus that was fully man, not the part that was fully God.  Therefore she can not be the Mother of God.)  

Second.  Is Mary God?  No?  Then is she all-knowing? No?  Hmm.  Then how can she hear you?  How is it that she has the ability to hear and pray for all of the misguided Catholics who ask her to pray for them?  It seems to me that the Catholics have created a She-God for themselves.  If you disagree, ask yourself this: How is it that she can do these miraculous things without being God-like?  She can’t.

BTW, why would Mary have more “pull” with God than you?  Why don’t you just talk to God yourself?  The answer is that Catholicism has created a tiered system to get to God, and this is not scriptural.  Remember, we had a system just like this in place when Jesus came the first time.  He called the religious leaders of that time a “brood of vipers”.  Much like the over religious are today.  

Matt. 23:4  

For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay [them] on men's shoulders; but they [themselves] will not move them with one of their fingers.

Quoted:
Where in the Bible does it say that?  Catholics do not revere ritual over God.  Ritual's are just ways to express our closeness with God.  No Catholic I have ever talked to thinks that any Saint is on equal footing with God.  We are simply asking them to pray with us to God.

Check out Matthew 23.  Jesus came to do away with all of the tiresome burdens of overt religiosity.  Still, we have eschewed the freedom He brought and have instead returned to religion like a dog returns to his vomit.  

God desires a PERSONAL relationship with us as individuals; He does not need the trappings of the Catholic Church to communicate with man.  Were is the rosary, prayers to saints, etc. condoned in the Bible?  

It isn’t.  If it isn’t, then why do we do it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:26:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

In the catholic churches’ zeal to convert "heathens", it was common practice to adopt local deities and ascribe to them the names of the saints (this was quite common in the Caribbean for instance).  Since we know that demons are often the "deities" tribal peoples pray to, do you think that it changed just because the parishioners stopped calling the demon “rain god” and started calling it “Peter”?  I think not.  A rose by any other name…

The church over the years has gone through the entire list of Saints and has thrown out many of them.  Some because they were not even real people who existed and some because they were not worthy of Sainthood.  Ask any Catholic or any Priest.  We do not worship Saints.  And I can't stress this enough, WE DO NOT THINK THAT ANY SAINT IS GOD OR EVEN LIKE A GOD OR EVEN CLOSE TO BEING LIKE GOD.

First of all, Mary is not Holy any more than any good, solid, Christian is Holy.  Second, she is not the mother of God, she is the mother of Jesus (the part of Jesus that was fully man, not the part that was fully God.  Therefore she can not be the Mother of God.)

Mary is much more holy than any other Christian, because as I understand it she is without Sin.  She is the mother of God because Jesus is God.  They are the same person.  That makes her the mother of God.

Second.  Is Mary God?  No?  Then is she all-knowing? No?  Hmm.  Then how can she hear you?  How is it that she has the ability to hear and pray for all of the misguided Catholics who ask her to pray for them?  It seems to me that the Catholics have created a She-God for themselves.  If you disagree, ask yourself this: How is it that she can do these miraculous things without being God-like?  She can’t.

I agree Mary is not God.  She is in Heaven, and is the Queen of Heaven, but she is not God.  She can hear prayers just the same as anyone else who is in Heaven can hear prayers.  I don't think that Mary is a She-God or anything even close to that.  I am not sure what miraculous things you are talking about.  The only thing miraculous that I can think of that she did was to follow God's plan for her.  It is not easy to stay on the path that God has for us, but she did it.

BTW, why would Mary have more “pull” with God than you?  Why don’t you just talk to God yourself?  The answer is that Catholicism has created a tiered system to get to God, and this is not scriptural.  Remember, we had a system just like this in place when Jesus came the first time.  He called the religious leaders of that time a “brood of vipers”.  Much like the over religious are today.  

I pray to God and talk to God directly all the time.  Asking Mary or any other Saint to pray with me is no different than when someone prays in a group to God.  That is all it is.

Also, Mary is the only person in the Bible who had any pull with Jesus.  Read The Wedding at Canna.  Seems to me that even Jesus (God) listens to His Mom.

Check out Matthew 23.  Jesus came to do away with all of the tiresome burdens of overt religiosity.  Still, we have eschewed the freedom He brought and have instead returned to religion like a dog returns to his vomit.  

I don't think of my religion as being tiresome or any kind of burden.  If you do, good for you.  I happen to like my religion.

God desires a PERSONAL relationship with us as individuals; He does not need the trappings of the Catholic Church to communicate with man.  Were is the rosary, prayers to saints, etc. condoned in the Bible?  

I agree.  I feel that I have a personal relationship with God.  And, I don't feel that anything the Church does takes away from my relationship.  You mentioned the Rosary.  Maybe you know this already but the point of the Rosary is not only a Prayer, but it is also to reflect on the miracles that Jesus did.  The Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary I feel are the most powerful.  I always feel better about any situation I am in after saying the Sorrowful Mysteries.

It isn’t.  If it isn’t, then why do we do it?

Think of Saints this way.
It is like if you were in the hospital.  Sometimes you talk directly to your doctor about what your problem is.  Sometimes you talk to your nurse and they talk to your doctor about your problem.  Sometimes it helps to do both.  Your nurse is not your doctor, just like the Saints are not God.

You don't have to believe any of this.  You have some misunderstandings about the Church, and that is ok.  I don't think that you are going to hell just because you are not Catholic.  If you are happy in your religion then good for you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#32]

First of all, Mary is not Holy any more than any good, solid, Christian is Holy. Second, she is not the mother of God, she is the mother of Jesus (the part of Jesus that was fully man, not the part that was fully God. Therefore she can not be the Mother of God.)

Mary is much more holy than any other Christian, because as I understand it she is without Sin. She is the mother of God because Jesus is God. They are the same person. That makes her the mother of God.

See?  Perfect example, thank you.  The deification of Mary.  Please show me where the Bible says she was without sin.

Sure, you guys have thrown out Saints over the years.  All that proves its that you were wrong to begin with.  Who says the saints you pray to now are legit?  Where does it stop?

Clearly, Catholicism has become a religion of MAN.  More later...I gotta go to work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Please show me where the Bible says she was without sin.

Show me an examplein the Bible where she did sin!  Show me an exapmle where Jesus NEVER sinned.

Sure, you guys have thrown out Saints over the years.  All that proves its that you were wrong to begin with.  Who says the saints you pray to now are legit?  Where does it stop?

First off we DON'T pray to Saints...get that thru your head.  Second, all churches make mistakes.  You biutch when the Catholic Church doesn't correct mistakes and then you bitch when we DO correct them!!

Clearly, Catholicism has become a religion of MAN.  More later...I gotta go to work.

REALLY???  Name me ONE religion that DOES NOT involve man???

Dumb ass.

And since it is symbolism in the Catholic Church that you seem to have a problem why don't you tell me about your church?  Does it have a building?(Symbolic as the "House of God")  A Cross?  (Symbolic of the Crucifixion)  Or a WatchTower?  (Whatever the heck that symbolizes)

You SIR ARE HYPOCRATE.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

First of all, Mary is not Holy any more than any good, solid, Christian is Holy. Second, she is not the mother of God, she is the mother of Jesus (the part of Jesus that was fully man, not the part that was fully God. Therefore she can not be the Mother of God.)

Mary is much more holy than any other Christian, because as I understand it she is without Sin. She is the mother of God because Jesus is God. They are the same person. That makes her the mother of God.

See?  Perfect example, thank you.  The deification of Mary.  Please show me where the Bible says she was without sin.

You don't understand and I am tired of trying to explain it to you.  If you believe in Jesus as your savior then I will see you in Heaven and God can set you straight.  I don't really care to hear any more later.

edit - I grow tired of your hijack of Sarge's thread with talk of things you know nothing about, and your inability to listen.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#36]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#37]
your haunting yourself? you sir are an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I believe you describe a poltergeist. I am too busy to check it out, you can and see if it fits.

Now, I am the  original skeptic, especially when people describe this kind of stuff. However, I am also openminded enough to believe that there is more out there than we are aware of. Had a few wierd experiences as a young adult when I was not always such a good person. Nothing awful, just lived life in the fast lane for awhile and I think it caught up with me. It did make me reconsider the direction I was going though.

Anyhow, if there is a spirit of some sort around you it may be attached to a possession of yours. Anything you got about time this all started??

Yeah, like a clock* or a lamp**?

* Amityville

** still Amityville

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi Sarge,

Just my .02 cents.

Dram out

Jeeeez- Here we have a nice thread, debating whether Sarge is haunted, haunting himself, or simply insane.  Dram Hi-jacks the thread, and turns it into a Catholic bashing free for all.  

Dram- what are they teaching you at your church?  30% of the earths population worshipping allah, and wants to kill, or convert you.  At least another 50% of the population don't give a shit one way or the other.

For you to use you precious time and energy to slam Catholics seems awfully silly to me.

I don't claim to be Catholic, but I know a lot of them, and guess what???

They DO worship the same GOD.  They call him GOD, and Jesus.   Same book too.  You can parse words all you like but IS the same GOD!   Sorry to disappoint you.  Guess your club is not as exclusive, or elite as you thought.  

Born again denominations confuse me at least as much as the militant atheists, but I respect any faith that compels you to vote for freedom.

Someone here on arfcom (DINO, methinks) has the Coleridge quote as his sigline, but here it is, FWIW:

"He who begins by loving Christianity better than truth, will proceed by loving his own sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all."-Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I am discussing and debating and elucidating about the Sarge and his "haunting".

I gave a VERY valid reason why he could be haunted, and provided first hand examples to illuminate my theory.

If you, or anyone else decides to disagree with me, I can live with that. Can you?

One either accepts or rejects my theory, and it is worth exactly what you paid for it. Nothin'. It was a freely given opinion based on factual experience.

If you want to say I am bashing anyone, you are dead wrong. Dont like my posts? Dont read them.

I merely respond and comment as is usual.

Btw, mary is simply the birth mother of Christ. The cath church affirms she is the co-redeemer of our sins along with Christ Himself. I listened to a cath radio show about this same thing. Mary also had children other than Christ with her physical husband, both brothers and sisters, cath church says no. I will give the scriptures for that proof if anyone requires it.

Dram out

Actually, I neither accept nor reject your theory, as it's not falsifiable.  My jury is still out on that.  

Actually, you state that you have no experience with this sort of thing.  The fact that anything remotely similar to this has never happened to you no more proves its negative than if you were to tell Sarge that the reason for his recent back trouble was due to his Catholicism (based on the fact that you, being of your faith, have not had back trouble).  It is an observation, though there is really no evidence of/for correlation.  Even if I concede correlation, we all know that correlation does not imply (much less prove) causation (of either the positive, negative, or even garden varieties).
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, Sarge - this is really some good stuff:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please show me where the Bible says she was without sin.

Show me an examplein the Bible where she did sin!  Show me an exapmle where Jesus NEVER sinned.

I've not got my sword at my side (shame on me ), but IIRC she was w/out sin at least until she became His surrogate.  Pls don't quote me on this, but think about it and reply.  I don't know about the latter, as since the Bible does not completely chronicle every last second of His life, it would be impossible to use it to try to find an example of him sinning.  Of course, we can infer that since He had to be perfect in order to be the perfect sacrifice, He was without sin.  Any fault in my logic there?  It's late, please advise.

First off we DON'T pray to Saints...get that thru your head.  Second, all churches make mistakes.  You biutch when the Catholic Church doesn't correct mistakes and then you bitch when we DO correct them!!

REALLY???  Name me ONE religion that DOES NOT involve man???

At first I thought this was a spurious argument, as - from his previous postings - it was fairly apparent he didn't attend a bricks and mortar church.  Since it is likely not a "religious movement," per se, it wouldn't necessarily have to be tied to a man.  However, that leaves two options:

a) A personal, private, relationship with Him that excludes all others.  However, this would likely run afoul of "Do not forsake the establishment."  Admittedly, that is closer to where I am at with my relationship.  My wife was hurt, badly, by someone who knew the word well and used his sword foolishly.  She is like a wounded child, and is skeptical, so I only provide seeds, water, etc, as openings present themselves, and I do not try to force anything on her.  We do establish every once in a while, though.  I also establish with others, regardless of denomination (or none), every chance I get.  We are both/all there in His name, so good on that one.  Also, technically, we're even establishing right now, albeit somewhat asynchronously and with perhaps less than Christlike agendas (I am not excepting myself from this accusation).

b) A small (?) group of like-minded individuals who gather together to fellowship (i.e. an "establishment").  This, however, does/would "involve" man.  Certainly, some members of said group would be older, wiser, more learned than others, and would serve as de facto "elders" and/or spiritual "guides" for the less adept.

Dumb ass.

Aw, come now.  Enough of the name-calling.  That's not getting any of us closer to Christ.  By the way, can anyone "in the know" please tell me what His middle initial of "H." stands for?  Is it like Truman's "S"?  

And since it is symbolism in the Catholic Church that you seem to have a problem why don't you tell me about your church?  Does it have a building?(Symbolic as the "House of God")  A Cross?  (Symbolic of the Crucifixion)  Or a WatchTower?  (Whatever the heck that symbolizes)

You SIR ARE HYPOCRATE.

You may be thinking of Hippocrates, but wasn't he a doctor?

Sgtar15

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Ghostbusters!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#43]
[Edit to remove 2x post - see below for actual post.]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/BigDozer66/Abomiinvite2.jpg

BigDozer66

That's so freaking funny I don't really know what else to say!

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#45]
you can say that again
you can say that again
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
you can say that again
you can say that again

I did, I did.................

Then I edited it.  Slow response from srvr NIC, so I clicked again.  Big mistake.

I have my Linux box (that I never use anymore) opened up, guts exposed, ready to swap NICs, but it hasn't worked sporadically enough yet for me to follow through with this surgery.

Yes, I know it's day/outpatient surgery, but I'm not exactly a hardware surgeon.  If so, then more like the Edward Scissorhands of hardware surgery.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I liked Edward Scissor Hands
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:02:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/BigDozer66/Abomiinvite2.jpg

BigDozer66

That's so freaking funny I don't really know what else to say!

My wife helped with the idea and while she showered I went to work on the 'production'!

BigDozer66
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top