Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
My 45-70 is an original 1872 Remington with a new barrel.  It only gets Black Powder because of its age.  I have a Lee Shaver .22 adapter sleeve for it that works very well.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can see how that might be a benefit.

Many thanks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The reason for the ring lever is recoil management on your hand.  The traditional "racetrack" pattern will beat your fingers to death if you are putting a lot of rounds downrange.

I can see how that might be a benefit.

Great writeup as usual!

Many thanks.

I ran 100 rounds of .44 magnum through a standard lever rifle during a course and my hand was bruised the next day.  Rifle is getting a ring lever in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm all dreamy eyed.    DO WANT
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
No penetration tests? :(
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Just ordered XS Sights rail and ghost ring setup for mine...and an Aimpoint PRO.

Aging eyeballs yada yada...whatever gets me on target. This isn't exactly built for 1000 yards.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Ugh.  This thread is going to give me a rash.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh, no doubt about it.  Cleaning the brass is more trouble.

If I really wanted long range consistency in my Shiloh Sharps, I would shoot black.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
O_P, shooting my Sharps with black powder is always exceedingly easy to clean up.

I keep a little tub with some patches soaked in rubbing alcohol, and when I'm done shooting, I run one or two of those followed by a couple dry patches and BAM! CLEAN!

When I get home, I'll run a patch with some Bore Butter and it's good until the next session.

Leading is a little tougher to get out, but it seems to be pretty light in my rifle. The black powder residue comes right out with the wet patch, though. I can see how it may be a PITA in a rifle that is more difficult to get to the bore in, tho.

Oh, no doubt about it.  Cleaning the brass is more trouble.

If I really wanted long range consistency in my Shiloh Sharps, I would shoot black.

I usually get a 1/2 gallon milk jug, fill it with some soapy water, drop in some cases and cap it then shake it up. Gets 'em clean. Then I let them air dry on a towel, then into the tumbler with some cleaner/polisher.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Got my early 1895 G set up with a Kick Eez pad and a Weaver V3 on a XS rail. Shoots cloverleafs at 100 yrds. Love it, took a big boar at 60 feet. The 350 gr. Corbon hit him behind the left ear and came out behind his right shoulder. DRT.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
You're going to break your hip shooting those cannons you crazy old fart!

Another great thread as usual.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Great thread.

I seriously want a Sharp's Carbine like in the movie True Grit.

And just something about that .45-70 cartridge just does something for me. I've never shot one, but I kind of makes me feel like you'd be shooting a cartridge capable of being used on ANY game on the planet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#15]
The rolling block has some nice color case hardening.  But I don't like the high gloss varnish the italians use on most of their old west repro guns - they should have a simple oiled stock, I think.
Ithe 1886 Cimmaron lever action 45-70 with octagonal barrel is on my to buy list, but there are a couple others that are competing with it, not quite as much.  Maybe just save a little longer and finally get it.

I do have a shiloh sharps in 45-110.  Similar to the quigly model except for the patch box, and wood is plain walnut.  Need to get a good soule sight for it.  Those are pricey.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Great post OP (Old Painless...)

I've got a Marlin 1895 SBL, and it does kick a bit with the heavier loads, but the decelerator pad it comes standard with helps a lot.

I love the gun.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They penetrate.

Misc. Rounds and the Box O' Truth

"Moral of this lesson:  Don’t get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain’t no such thing as cover."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They penetrate.

"Moral of this lesson:  Don’t get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain’t no such thing as cover."

"…carrying a brick and half of the back pine board with it,
and was last seen headed down range, mad as the dickens."
This cracked me up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They penetrate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They penetrate.

And if the Billy Dixon story is accurate, there is no safe distance in eye sight...
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They penetrate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They penetrate.

I don't know how I missed that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They penetrate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They penetrate.

When my .50 Beowulf arrives, I plan on building my own Box O truth and testing it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"Best" as in most accurate?  Believe it or not, probably black powder.  Black powder has a very tight standard deviation and in long range shooting will often out-shoot smokeless powder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the best powder for this caliber?

"Best" as in most accurate?  Believe it or not, probably black powder.  Black powder has a very tight standard deviation and in long range shooting will often out-shoot smokeless powder.

interesting...
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd love to see some penetration comparisons with those loads.

ETA - link already posted, at least close enough. Big & slow = penetrator!

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Dang it OP, now I feel the need to get my 1873 trapdoor Springfield out from the back of my safe a shoot it with some black powder loads.  I haven't shot it in probably twenty or more years.  (I paid $140 bucks for it back in the mid '70s!)
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I love a .45-70 gubment. Maybe it's because of the connection to the Indian wars or just the fun of launching a bowling ball downrange, but it's my favorite round.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Well, it's about time.

Never owned a trap door, but would love to shoot one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dang it OP, now I feel the need to get my 1873 trapdoor Springfield out from the back of my safe a shoot it with some black powder loads.  I haven't shot it in probably twenty or more years.  (I paid $140 bucks for it back in the mid '70s!)

Well, it's about time.

Never owned a trap door, but would love to shoot one.

And to think that my father thought I was foolish spending that much money on an old rifle.  I knew what i was doing!  If I get it out tomorrow I'll try to take a picture and post it in this thread.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#29]
can the 500+g  be loaded to cycle in marlin actions? So far my load is 13g of reddot with a 405g lead FNHB for my cowboy load and that same bullet with 48g of 4064 for my shoulder thumper
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#31]
My experience with light 45-70 rifles can be summarized as follows...

"Kicks like a mule."
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Definition of a friend:

"One who invites you to the range and puts a Sharps Shiloh in your hands."

Now I can scratch that off my bucket list, thanks to you, O_P.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
can the 500+g  be loaded to cycle in marlin actions? So far my load is 13g of reddot with a 405g lead FNHB for my cowboy load and that same bullet with 48g of 4064 for my shoulder thumper
View Quote

You can indeed load a 500+gr bullet in the Marlin...just not the 500gr Government design.

Marlins are restricted to a 2.55" over all length, and the original 45-70 round-nose design has a nose length that is too long for the Marlin.

Beartooth Bullets makes a 525gr flat nose that will cycle through a Marlin just fine...it will also rattle your fillings loose when launched @ 1600+ fps.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#35]
When I bring the 45-70's out to the range everyone smiles. That is until I let them shoot the heavy loads.

Fun times!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#37]
These large caliber sporting rifles look superb and I'm sure are exciting to fire at targets with!
Thanks for this one OP!
Jim
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#38]
When I first got my 45-70, I went out and loaded up some ammo that was right at the max. 300gr @ 2200fps or something like that. Being utterly clueless at the time, I loaded up 100 rounds.

By the time 20 rounds had been fired, I was done with max pressure loads in my 45-70. I was truly relieved when the last of the hot rounds had been fired.

Now I launch those same 300gr bullets @ 1750fps and the recoil is much more reasonable.

I've got a peep sight on that rifle, so I don't need 300 yard performance. 200 yards is about the limits of my eyesight - and the limit of the milder load without significant holdover.

Big & slow kills deer just fine.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I've shot a guide gun several times.  The early ones had porting.  It eased the recoil, but the blast was horrific.  Recoil is just brutal in the regular models.  The buckhorn rear sight plain sucks.  A better solution is the rear mounted peep or ghost sight.  Fast and much more accurate.  

View Quote

Funny my pre remington guide gun isn't ported.

SS 45/70

wwg big loop lever and peep sight

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I am currently shooting a 405 cast at around 1850 fps, brutal recoil is an understatement, I have never shot a gun that has caused pain in my spine like these rounds but I am a masochist so its fine.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top