Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#1]
height=8
Quoted:
Own page 2 of my own thread he

My dad was an engineer on a mike boat in the army and often tells stories of the shenanigans that ensued.

One of which involves them being assigned to some kind of officer training course (forgot most of the details). It was a 4 day operation and on each morning they would practice taking the beach. Well the boat crews were ordered to stop about 50 feet short of the beach through the first 3 days and make the guys run through the water. Then on the last day they were told to take em all the way up to the beach. When they dropped the gate all the guys just stood there and stared at the coxswain like he was the biggest a**hat in the world. Then afterwards one of the officers goes up to them and says he didn't know they could do that (go all the up to the beach). Then he says (jokingly) "you better hope none of us get assigned to this unit" or something to that effect.  

Theres another one that has nothing to do with beach landings but I think it’s funny. They're docked on some river, its night and he's lying on his back staring up at the stars and he starts to notice that the stars are moving. He gets up and there's some drunk guy untying their boat from the dock. The guys standing there holding the last line in his hands looks up at my dad and says "Your boat came untied im trying to fix it". My dad jumps off the boat and grabs the line out of his hands and yells for everybody else. The guy runs off and they all chase him leaving my dad alone to keep the boat from floating away. They come back and my dads laying on the ground with the line wrapped around his body and his feet braced against the docking cleat (i think it’s called that).

Theres a ton more about sinking their boat, almost getting run over by a destroyer, sinking their boat again, his unit getting ripped off in operation Big Red (might have been when he was in the combat engineers...can't remember), and so on.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.onr.navy.mil/media/releases/image_gallery/images/020802-N-8894M-003.jpg

Army Ship

Where are the guns and missiles?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Army Ship

Where are the guns and missiles?

Camouflaged as lounge chairs and boomboxes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah and the CO's of the ships are usuallsy CWO's. A lot of BM's from the Coast Guard get out and lateral over to the Army, get an insta-promotion and take command. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Yup.  I know several coxswains who are thinking of doing that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Army Ship

inside

from the flight deck

loading our Bradleys
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The HSV's have joint service crews, correct?

Or am I just imagining something?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I seem to recall in The Military Balance of 1994, the US Army was listed as having one of the Navy's retired Iwo Jima class LPHs tied up in Louisiana.

I believe this is Army as well.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The army has a navy and an air force, and the navy has an army and two air forces.  For some reason the air force only has an air force.

We have a Navy too.

USAF might not have an army yet, but they're working on it.

what would you classify SP's, PJ's and FAC's?

mall cops, medics, and FO's respectively.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#10]
IIRC the Army is loaning the ex-USS Tripoli (LPH-10) from the navy for use as a test platform.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
IIRC the Army is loaning the ex-USS Tripoli (LPH-10) from the navy for use as a test platform.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Army Ship

My wife got to ride on that one shortly after it got to Ft. Eustis.  It was a smooth ride she said.

I was given a two-hour tour of that vessel.

Pretty impressive.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't remember seeing an MOS for any of this. Do they even exist, or is everyone on these boats just a compilation of different (usually non-nautical) MOSes?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#16]
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.... Go Navy!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top