BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why would an FFL holder be necessary to take possession of the guns?  Private party transfer is legal in most states, isn't it?  

Go ahead without one if you are brave enough.

Buying and selling guns for profit without a FFL has been deemed hazardous to your health by the ATF.

Has the ATF ever clearly stated what is the difference between a private seller who is a collector and an unlicensed dealer?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why would an FFL holder be necessary to take possession of the guns?  Private party transfer is legal in most states, isn't it?  

Buying and selling guns for profit without a FFL has been deemed hazardous to your health by the ATF.

Has the ATF ever clearly stated what is the difference between a private seller who is a collector and an unlicensed dealer?

"engaged in business for profit."

It is one of those not terribly specific phrases that lets the ATF determine who is going to get a good fucking.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The press would build a Cindy Sheehan-like tent in your rectum and camp there until you were dead.

Still, it is a nice idea.

It's actually been done before. I'm just sharing.

You mean someone pulled this off already and didn't get anally probed for it????

Well hells bells! If you want to do one in Virginia, I will gladly help!

I know one dealer who is going on year 3. I helped him hash it out when he got started. It was kinda an idea of mine that I didn't feel like doing myself so I gave it to him and it was developed from there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It is one of those not terribly specific phrases that lets the ATF determine who is going to get a good fucking.

I don't suppose that they would accept the definition "engaged in buisness because he has an unhealthy addiction to guns that makes him drool over damn near all of them like a horny teenager at a stripclub..."
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know one dealer who is going on year 3. I helped him hash it out when he got started. It was kinda an idea of mine that I didn't feel like doing myself so I gave it to him and it was developed from there.

Do you know if he has netted anything worthwhile??
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I can endorse that platform.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in for a share
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's done alright. Gotten a handful of cool ones everytime (including one AR-15). Never lost money and usually clears about $1,500 or so from later sales. Ends up with about 10 handguns or shotguns in his collection everytime.

He also was able to return 2 stolen firearms to their rightful owners.

And the best part is his "buy backs" take away from other "buy backs", undermine the entire "buy back" process and is all funded primarily by anti gunners.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was something vague, but I couldn't remember what it was exactly. Nothing like a vague "law" for selective enforcement...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I've thought about similar schemes, but since I no longer have an FFL I couldn't do handguns without a jillion trips to the sherriff's office for purchase permits, and since I don't money to spare I couldn't actually buy anything anyway. (I'd never thought of getting sponsors).

The idea that keeps nagging at me is that I know people take guns to police stations and just give them away because they want to be rid of them, and I'm trying to think of a way for me to be the place you take that "old gun that's been sitting in the basement/closet/garage." I've even considered placing ads in newspapers stating that if any Missourian had a firearm (or rifle/shotgun, if I didn't get another FFL) in their home that they wanted gone I could take it from them at no charge.

I'm not picky either. I'd take any gun, working or not.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Good idea.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I think this thread should be moved to the team forum where "outside eyes" can't see the "true nature" of the "plan".

I'd have to say that the low lifes that probably turn in guns at buy-back's are probably the types of folks you'd want a squad of cops around when you deal with them. I suppose the security guard thing would be a good start though.

Also, do the cops run all of the guns through their "datatbase" to see if any of the guns they "buy" have been used in a crime? If so couldn't this potentially be "obstructing justice", even though they don't bill the buy-back as being a way to fund murder weapons, I'm sure behind closed doors they do more than just melt them down for scrap.

So, would the returned firearms be put up on the EE... perhaps for sale to their respective hometown forums? Maybe as groupd buys? And would they be sold at "rock bottom prices"?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think this thread should be moved to the team forum where "outside eyes" can't see the "true nature" of the "plan".

I'd have to say that the low lifes that probably turn in guns at buy-back's are probably the types of folks you'd want a squad of cops around when you deal with them. I suppose the security guard thing would be a good start though.

Also, do the cops run all of the guns through their "datatbase" to see if any of the guns they "buy" have been used in a crime? If so couldn't this potentially be "obstructing justice", even though they don't bill the buy-back as being a way to fund murder weapons, I'm sure behind closed doors they do more than just melt them down for scrap.

So, would the returned firearms be put up on the EE... perhaps for sale to their respective hometown forums? Maybe as groupd buys? And would they be sold at "rock bottom prices"?

I actually like the plan in the open where it undermines and calls into question all the "other" buy backs.

As for "obstruction" it is not any different than if a gunstore buys a used gun or you buy one at a gun show. How do either know it isn't stolen?

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#15]
that possibly ranks as one of the all time best ideas EVER.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's done alright. Gotten a handful of cool ones everytime (including one AR-15). Never lost money and usually clears about $1,500 or so from later sales. Ends up with about 10 handguns or shotguns in his collection everytime.

He also was able to return 2 stolen firearms to their rightful owners.

And the best part is his "buy backs" take away from other "buy backs", undermine the entire "buy back" process and is all funded primarily by anti gunners.

How did he do that without getting the polive involved?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

How did he do that without getting the polive involved?

Same way all gun dealers do it. Call the police and have them checked.

You can do this after the fact.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top