Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reversible error.

edit-except in Texas I guess
Poster child of why the death penalty is a bad idea. Did any of these judges actually graduate from law school?

Don't come down here and commit crimes and we'll do our best not to kill you.

Nah you usually only manage to kill poor people who are stuck with a Texas attorney

I'm extremely happy to say that neither of my attorneys have EVER had a client get the death penalty, yet.

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
That asshole murdered somone while committing a robbery, he deserves to die regardless of what book the jurors read.

I dont give a fuck if they read the Koran or whatever, the criminals actions are the reason he is being put to death, not the bible.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Religion does not belong in United States government to any degree. It does nothing but cause irrationality and failure to approach anything with logic or reasoning.

"Eye for an eye leaves everyone blind"

I'm curious to know the financial figures for Texas comparing the costs of a life without parole sentence to a death sentence. It's supposed to be much more expensive to execute than to do life without parole thanks to heaps of bureaucracy not to mention the inability of law to be 100% sure of the crimes committed and who did them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Corect but that is not what you said, nor is that what the Bible verses referred to say ie murder in and of itself is sufficient.

And does that text from the bible change Texas Law?

Nope.

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Found a completely "updated" one:

§ 19.03. CAPITAL MURDER.  (a) A person commits an offense
if the person commits murder as defined under Section 19.02(b)(1)
and:
(1)  the person murders a peace officer or fireman who
is acting in the lawful discharge of an official duty and who the
person knows is a peace officer or fireman;
(2)  the person intentionally commits the murder in the
course of committing or attempting to commit kidnapping, burglary,
robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or
retaliation, or terroristic threat under Section 22.07(a)(1), (3),

(4), (5), or (6);
(3)  the person commits the murder for remuneration or
the promise of remuneration or employs another to commit the murder
for remuneration or the promise of remuneration;
(4)  the person commits the murder while escaping or
attempting to escape from a penal institution;
(5)  the person, while incarcerated in a penal
institution, murders another:
(A)  who is employed in the operation of the penal
institution;  or        
(B)  with the intent to establish, maintain, or
participate in a combination or in the profits of a combination;
(6)  the person:                                                              
(A)  while incarcerated for an offense under this
section or Section 19.02, murders another;  or
(B)  while serving a sentence of life imprisonment
or a term of 99 years for an offense under Section 20.04, 22.021, or
29.03, murders another;
(7)  the person murders more than one person:                                
(A)  during the same criminal transaction;  or                              
(B)  during different criminal transactions but
the murders are committed pursuant to the same scheme or course of
conduct;
(8)  the person murders an individual under six years
of age;  or          
(9)  the person murders another person in retaliation
for or on account of the service or status of the other person as a
judge or justice of the supreme court, the court of criminal
appeals, a court of appeals, a district court, a criminal district
court, a constitutional county court, a statutory county court, a
justice court, or a municipal court.
(b)  An offense under this section is a capital felony.                        
(c)  If the jury or, when authorized by law, the judge does
not find beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty of
an offense under this section, he may be convicted of murder or of
any other lesser included offense.

Added by Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 1123, ch. 426, art. 2, § 1, eff.
Jan. 1, 1974.  Amended by Acts 1983, 68th Leg., p. 5317, ch. 977,
§ 6, eff. Sept. 1, 1983;  Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 44, § 1,
eff. Sept. 1, 1985;  Acts 1991, 72nd Leg., ch. 652, § 13, eff.
Sept. 1, 1991;  Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 715, § 1, eff. Sept. 1,
1993;  Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 887, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993;  
Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994;  Acts
2003, 78th Leg., ch. 388, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003;  Acts 2005,
79th Leg., ch. 428, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2005.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I am under the impression that most laws first started out as gods laws. The bible has a serious influence over how the laws were constructed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reversible error.

edit-except in Texas I guess Poster child of why the death penalty is a bad idea. Did any of these judges actually graduate from law school?

Did the jurors consulting the bible/koran/Tao-te-ching/wahtever change the law, or their interpretation of the law?

The appellate court held that it was error to allow the jury to consult the Bible but that the defendant could not prove that it effected the decision, which makes zero sense if this is what they read

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers%2035:16;&version=KJV;

Rather than follow the jury instructions for whether the death penalty was justified they followed some biblical text. Serious lack of balls by the appellate court.

Did they consult the bible looking for guidance, or for reassurance that what they were doing is acceptable in their religion?

What if one of the jurors was not voting for the DP because he thought it was against his religion, and the others showed him that it was not?

The real question is, if a God fearing person is allowed on the jury, then why can he not have the book which he implicitly follows with him?  Unless the idea is that such a religious person would suddenly stop following his religion because a bible was not available.

I am not alright with someone basing their decisions in a court room on religious text, but short of banning people with religious views from the jury pool, how do you stop it from happening?
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
If he had a defense attorney that had any brains he would simply appeal with:

"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

You can prove anything with scripture.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reversible error.

edit-except in Texas I guess
Poster child of why the death penalty is a bad idea. Did any of these judges actually graduate from law school?

You're crazy.

The death penalty should be strictly enforce in all applicable cases.  Eye for an eye mother fuckers.  

I'm 100% with you there.

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm curious to know the financial figures for Texas comparing the costs of a life without parole sentence to a death sentence.

We don't fucking care. I will gladly pay more taxes to execute scumbags, you fuck around in Texas and we will burn you.... It's about JUSTICE.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am under the impression that most laws first started out as gods laws. The bible has a serious influence over how the laws were constructed.

The Bible was hardly the only religious text created by civilization. Many came before it. Religion does not belong in government. Listen to Jefferson some:

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. — Thomas Jefferson

Reasoning through faith is reasoning without logic or rationality.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And the Bible was influenced by other religions that came before it. I'm not comfortable with the jury relying on a Bible passage (or passage from any 'holy book' ) to justify putting a MAN TO DEATH. In other words, I'd not be comfortable being tried by a jury that makes their decisions on faith, not logic.

That said, I couldn't care less if this scumbag dies. He should be punished, and while I disagree with the death penalty as a state system of punishment, I find nothing wrong with this man dying. (If that makes any sense) I'd even be OK with the jury sentencing him to die if it were based on the evidence presented, but to quote a passage from a religious book that not everyone in the courtroom may even agree with, and say "OK, it says right here, we oughta kill ya, sorry bub" seems to be a throwback to shitholes like Iran.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]
There were probably fence sitters on Guilty vs Guilty w/ special circumstances (or however Texas phrases it)
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:30:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Only the stupid.  The remaining non-retards are extremely polite to one-another.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm curious to know the financial figures for Texas comparing the costs of a life without parole sentence to a death sentence.

We don't fucking care. I will gladly pay more taxes to execute scumbags, you fuck around in Texas and we will burn you.... It's about JUSTICE.

As I said, a lack of rationality and logic. Justice? More like revenge through the government. Sounds like corruption and appeasing the religious citizen base more than anything.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the stupid.  The remaining non-retards are extremely polite to one-another.  

I wish it was like that but state governments such as that of Texas just want to kill people and because of that many innocent "non-retards" are murdered by the state.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Religion does not belong in government. Listen to Jefferson some:

You might check my sigline immediately above your post. Or you can just read it below......Jefferson, like the Bible, can be quoted for any purpose!
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You might check my sigline immediately above your post. Or you can just read it below......Jefferson, like the Bible, can be quoted for any purpose!

Touche` !
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Keep your religion out of this. It has no place in a government that operates best using logic and rationality.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reversible error.

edit-except in Texas I guess Poster child of why the death penalty is a bad idea. Did any of these judges actually graduate from law school?

You're crazy.

The death penalty should be strictly enforce in all applicable cases.  Eye for an eye mother fuckers.  

Remind me again about the diference between civilized Americans and the "savages" that want Sharia Law to be the guiding principle of justice.  Because you just quoted the Koran.

Did somone rip up the constitution while I was asleep last night?????

Seriously - if the guy is guilty he is guilty, and the crime he committed may be punishable by death.......but sentencing him according to the standards of a 2000 year old book that is open to widepread mis-interpretation....c'mon

And yet you'll call out a muslim who condems somone to death because the Koran says so.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#22]
As I said, a lack of rationality and logic.

Is it rational to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to save someone who will probably die anyway from cancer? Is it rational/logical for a mother or father to rush into a burning building to rescue their child? How about a firefighter who isn't even related to the kid?

"Logic" isn't everything. Thankfully, we live in a society that places some value on things other than pure logic. Even Spock eventually figured it out........
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't give a damn about whether they read from the bible.  If he did what they say, he deserves the death penalty.

This is stupid.

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep your religion out of this. It has no place in a government that operates best using logic and rationality.

When was the last time THAT happened???
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Reversible error.

yeah for St. Mary's.....
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I wish it was like that but state governments such as that of Texas just want to kill people and because of that many innocent "non-retards" are murdered by the state.

Really?  You have a list?  I've seen speculation that this or that guy may have been innocent, but it's just speculation.  There is no mass grave of "innocents" murdered by the State of Texas.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bible was hardly the only religious text created by civilization. Many came before it. Religion does not belong in government. Listen to Jefferson some:

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. — Thomas Jefferson

Reasoning through faith is reasoning without logic or rationality.

A pretty large chunk of American Common Law comes directly from the Ecclesiastical Courts of England.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#30]
If you don't live in Texas, you can stick your opinon of our legal system where the sun don't shine. We don't care what you think.

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Scumbag gets the needle and we piss off amnesty int'l? DOUBLE WIN!

If they're really worried about justice, maybe they should spend some time working to help the women of iran who are raped the night before their excution for speaking against the divine leader or some other jackassed allah offending offense.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#32]
So Aimless you going to answer my question or not???
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If he was lawfully convicted beyond a reasonable doubt then there is not problem.

Juries are NOT The Government, and Jurors are NOT government agents.

Jurors are people and Juries are The People. If the people want to look to The Bible for moral guidance in administering The Law then that this their right. As long as the decision falls within the bounds of the law then there is no issue.

+1

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Reversible error.

Does that mean he did not murder anyone?

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you don't live in Texas, you can stick your opinon of our legal system where the sun don't shine. We don't care what you think.

Yea, and we're closed.

You can visit, just don't stay or we'll beat you with our Bibles.....
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Texans.

Californians

Mr. Peanut.

Us city folk don't be consulting the God lord's book when we are about to hand down a death sentence in court. You know it may look bad and then someone from the AP will run a story and the ruling could be overturned on appeal.

I mean really...

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#38]
You can visit, just don't stay or we'll beat you with our Bibles..

Or put a nose and hat on you and burn you for being a witch and turning our friends into newts.....even if they do get better!
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Texans.

......still better than Californians.

Please respond holding hour CA approved assualt rifle.

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Texans.

Californians

Mr. Peanut.

Us city folk don't be consulting the God lord's book when we are about to hand down a death sentence in court. You know it may look bad and then someone from the AP will run a story and the ruling could be overturned on appeal.

I mean really...

Texans don't give a fuck how it looks to outsiders....

Texans don't give a fuck about the AP....

Texans judge appeals on the merits...and Texan rationality....not how you think it "looks..."

You don't like our Bibles...you don't like our Bible consultations, stay the fuck out.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Reversible error.

So you wouldn't agree with the death penalty if that was your father that was murdered like that???

So if you were charged with a crime you would be okay with the jury reading the Koran during their deliberations?

I thought juries were allowed to reach their decisions any way they wanted.  Are they not allowed any materials in the jury room other than official court documents and stuff?  If so, having a Bible there does seem problematic. (but it's not like someone couldn't memorize the bible passage and just tell people about it in the jury room)

Serious question - I honestly don't know.
Oh, no, juries are not normally allowed anything other than items that were put into evidence. They can't normally do things like bring in a medical text, photos of the crime scene they got off the internet, newspaper articles etc.

That was not the intention of the Framers of the Constitution. I was always taught the the Framers were deliberately vague regarding the judiciary and especially so with juries. The jury is supposed to be The People's last say on The Law. That is why it is made up of your peers, and not judges or lawyers. They are there to view the evidence, evaluate the law and determine on their own if the law has been broken, if the law is valid or if it is being misapplied. Judges instructing juries as to what they can and can't do, must and must not consider and should or should not find is contrary to the reason for a jury. A jury is not a set of computers. The judge is not supposed to program them with the parameters of their function while the DA inputs data. The jury is made up of The People because in a free society The People are supposed to be the final say on The Law.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#42]
What was the problem agian?
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Texans.

Californians

Mr. Peanut.

I mean really...

Texans judge appeals on the merits...and Texan rationality....not how you think it "looks..."

You don't like our Bibles...you don't like our Bible consultations, stay the fuck out.  

Establishment Clause. Get out of the country if you can't help but use religion in government. Iran uses religion in their government. You would enjoy it there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#44]
God Bless Texas!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Reversible error.

So you wouldn't agree with the death penalty if that was your father that was murdered like that???

So if you were charged with a crime you would be okay with the jury reading the Koran during their deliberations?

You are not paying attention, old buddy.

He wasn't "charged" with murder.  He was "convicted" of murder.

The jury was determining the sentence.

We kill "convicted" murderers down here in Texas.   And good riddance.

If you were convicted of stealing would you want those deciding your fate to read the koran?
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Texans.

Californians

Mr. Peanut.

I mean really...

Establishment Clause. Get out of the country if you can't help but use religion in government. Iran uses religion in their government. You would enjoy it there.

Here we go again.

Show me how putting a bible in the deliberation room amounts to Congress establishing a religion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Reversible error.

You are not paying attention, old buddy.

He wasn't "charged" with murder.  He was "convicted" of murder.

The jury was determining the sentence.

We kill "convicted" murderers down here in Texas.   And good riddance.

If you were convicted of stealing would you want those deciding your fate to read the koran?

The punishments for stealing listed in the Koran do not fall within the scope of punishments for the crime of stealing in the State of Texas.

ETA - For the most part, I agree with Aimless. The death penalty is not the problem, it is the system which administers the death penalty that is the problem. Texas is poised to possibly admit that it executed a factually and legally innocent person, and for that reason (in addition to the hundreds of people serving sentences, and waiting on death row who have been exonerated later), I do not believe that the death penalty should continue to be administered. That said, a jury reading from The Bible during their deliberations in and of itself does not pose a problem for me, as long as the sentence they return falls within the scope of sentences available for the crime under the laws of the State of Texas. If there are other reasons that the person should not be executed, such as evidence that was with held, conclusions that were improperly made or procedures that were violated at trial, then those are separate issues.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
He was sentenced to death in 1999 for murdering a man whose home Oliver was burgling. The victim was shot in the face and beaten with his own rifle.

All you bleeding hearts seem to have forgotten what this "gentleman" did.

Oh come off of it. So just because he was an asshole, we should abandon the principles our legal system was founded on? Sorry bud, that doesn't wash.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top