Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 11:39:49 AM EDT
Anyone who thinks that faster is better doesn't have much expierence with precision rifles.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 11:43:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ponyboy:

Originally Posted By Bob243:

I personally haven't tried it, but I know of another person who has taken numerous whitetail deer with his .220.  

This .220 has killed a handful of deer and probably 100 hogs or more. I'm leaving tonight on another deer hunting trip and it'll have two or three more deer to add to the tally by Tuesday afternoon. 55gr Hornady V-Max is all that I shoot out of it.

http://www.wildhoghunters.com/vbtube/photos/original/1am922D.jpg

Nice..  Did that start out as a 700 VSSF?

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 4:08:57 PM EDT

I personally haven't tried it, but I know of another person who has taken numerous whitetail deer with his .220.  

This .220 has killed a handful of deer and probably 100 hogs or more. I'm leaving tonight on another deer hunting trip and it'll have two or three more deer to add to the tally by Tuesday afternoon. 55gr Hornady V-Max is all that I shoot out of it.

you ever have a deer run very far after you hit it with that swift?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:00:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MTNmyMag:

you ever have a deer run very far after you hit it with that swift?

I've seen a lot of Elk shot with about everything, but I've never seen on go down faster/harder than one shot at the base of the ear with a 22-250.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:35:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JAMES77257:
Anyone who thinks that faster is better doesn't have much expierence with precision rifles.

Why is that?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2011 7:19:23 PM EDT by JAMES77257]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:

Why is that?

Not sure why people think that.

Bullet speed has nothing to do with accuracy. Trajectory flatness has nothing to do with accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:30:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AJK07734:
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:
Originally Posted By AJK07734:
Actually yes...IF you get a barrel with a better twist than the "Standard"... You can have a lot of fun with the .22-250 if you handload, and you can also get some SCORCHING velocity..at the cost of your throating..dont ask how i know about that part

Buy the longest barrel blank you can find....

Then you can set it back a few times before the length starts hurting velocity too much.  

At one point I was getting them fast enough that they would grenade on the skin of the critter..making a huge mess, but not a clean kill..i played with it more and got it so fast the jackets were coming off a couple of feet from the muzzle..then i grew up and got it back to reasonable velocities, but there was no accuracy left in it.  Had it re-barrelled to a .308 and gave it to a buddy (Rem 788)

I've read of this happening but never seen it. Would you happen to have any pics?

Nope, Sorry this was around 25-26 years ago
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:43:55 PM EDT

Why is that?

Not sure why people think that.

Bullet speed has nothing to do with accuracy. Trajectory flatness has nothing to do with accuracy.

finding the sweet spot as fas a velocity for a particular bullet in your particular barrel can have a lot to do with accuracy.  So yes bullet speed can have a lot to do with accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:48:25 PM EDT
Are you saying that faster is better?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:20:02 PM EDT

It can be, it depends on the particular rifle and load combo.  Typically slower is more accurate, but not always so.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:45:14 PM EDT

it's one variable... not always, better but it's something that has to be considered.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 10:07:08 PM EDT

The two are not mutually exclusive though either.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:53:04 AM EDT
Just asking because I stated that the .22-250 has slightly better ballistics than a .223, and all the replies are about velocity. I was referring to the fact that the .22-250 can shoot a bullet with a higher BC and obtain a slightly longer MPBR.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 5:01:34 AM EDT
Just asking because I stated that the .22-250 has slightly better ballistics than a .223, and all the replies are about velocity. I was referring to the fact that the .22-250 can shoot a bullet with a higher BC and obtain a slightly longer MPBR.

You seem desperate to find an argument here.

It'd be easier to just give up now. Those who have seen the awesomeness that is a high-velocity .22 know better.

My Swift would shoot in the .2's with 55 grain sieraa BTSPs at a chronographed 3865 fps (10' from muzzle). I wish I'd kept it now; it was a laserbeam on everything it was ever shot at (coyote and smaller).

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 5:07:42 AM EDT
Even the slower 1 in 14" twist on most of the production rifles, like Remington, will stabilize bullets like the 50 grain Barnes TSX, Nosler 60 grain Partition, Winchester 64 grain Power Point, etc. These bullets are well proven performers on deer size critters. Varmint bullets at high speeds can work, but they are also what give smaller rounds a bad reputation & the margin for error is much smaller.

The lighter, more frangible bullets are hell on varmints. A Prairie Dog hit with a sub 55 grain cup & core bullet has a launch factor that needs to be seen to be believed. In a 26" barrel a 45 grain bullet will crack 4k fps, safely.

A faster twist like 1 in 8", or 1 in 7", opens up a lot of options with heavier, higher BC pills. (75 grain plus) This makes it a more effective round for longer range, especially in wind. With today's bullet selections the old rules have pretty much been rewritten.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top