Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

My dad has a Tiberon, and while he's very happy with it, it's not in the same category as an Acura (which one of my friends has).  The Tiberon seems underpowered (at least his does) and it definitely has a cheaper and flimsier feel to it.

But - I think it's definitely a great deal at the praice.  I guess you'll jsut have to test drive both, and while you'll deinfitely like the Acura better, only you will be able to decide whether you like it $6000 better.

I agree with DK.  While I love my Tiburon, there are some things in the interior that do seem cheap.  It's one of the few sacrifices you make for a car that costs much less.  However, there are some great little things that speak 'quality' to me.  The leather wrapped steering wheel is just NICE... I love the feel in my hands...  The dome/interior light fades to black when you close the doors.   The headlights turn off when you turn off the ignition, and the parking lights turn off when you open the door....  the intermittant wiper setting is speed sensitive, so it will cycle the wipers faster as your speed increases.    

The Acura will be nicer in some respects, but you'd have to decide if it's $6000 nicer or so ;)  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife had a 1995 Eclipse GS-T (turbo 5 speed) and it was a fun fast car but when it hit 75k miles it literally started falling apart. The turbo had to be replaced twice. The engine sprung a couple of bad oil leaks and was making a ticking noise. This thing had been maintained properly but just didn't hold up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
While the Tiburon may be $6000 cheaper at the base, what are you getting for that $6000?  If you buy a RSX Type S, you get every option you can possibly imagine standard.  There are no options, it's all already there.  Cruise control, power everything, 6 disc Bose stereo system, moon roof, leather, ABS brakes, and probably more stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.  All that and a 6 speed, short throw tansmission hooked up to a 2.0L 210 horsepower non-turbo motor that get's 23/31 mpg and does 0-60 in 6.9 seconds and the quarter mile in 15 flat.  The RSX is is just a better car, that's all there is to it, much more bang for your buck.  Even if you don't get the RSX, just don't  the Tiburon.  How about this for you, in a head to head to head comparison, the Tiburon ranked 4th behind the Eclipse and Celica (tied for 2nd) and the RSX (1st) and the only one it beat out was the New Beetle Turbo from VW.  You'll probably find the article interesting if these are the cars you're shopping for, it's here

I've done a good bit of shopping around and reasearch, and if I had the money, and hadn't just spent a decent bit of cash to get my Camry running in top shape, i'd be going to buy an RSX today.  It's just a premium car, hard to find a better car in that class, besides the price, the Tiburon is no competition for it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No offense, but I think that's pretty stupid.

First of all, the Bush adminsitration has repeatedly ADMITTED that they have found no link whatsoever between Iraq and the 9-11 attacks.

Second of all, the "Grand Experiment" we are currently paying for with american lives, is to TRY to establish a stable democratic and free country in Iraq.  If Iraq built a competetivie automobile and exported it, by refusing to buy it (purely because it was iraqi) you could be helping contribute to the failure of that experiment.  

Plus, you better believe that there will be plenty of Iraqi OIL exported to the U.S.!   Make sure you ask your local gas station if there's any Iraqi oil in their gasoline, and refuse to fill up if there is!!

I believe Iraqi nationals played part in 9/11. I also believe they have played a part in previous attacks. I DO NOT support the rebuilding of Iraq, so i have no qualms if this little "Experiment" fails or not. These are my beliefs, may not be yours, but sure as hell are mine.

It's not so much that your beliefs (in red above) differ from MINE - it's that your beliefs differ from those of George W. Bush, Condeleeza Rice, the 9-11 commission and the intelligence community.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw this 2005 Mitsubishi at my local dealer..........

Sweeeeeet

3rd quarter they're coming out with a convertible.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I saw this 2005 Mitsubishi at my local dealer..........

Sweeeeeet

www.cda.ics.saitama-u.ac.jp/~maekawa/z7.gif

3rd quarter they're coming out with a convertible.

What kind of gas mileage does that baby get?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a two Toyota family, after having a Honda Accord & Toyota Camry, our current vehicles are Celica and Tundra.  I think Honda and Toyota are the Chevy and Ford of the Japanese makers.
FWIW, my dad was on three pacific islands in WW2, and was wounded on Okinawa.
I won't hold a 40 y/o Japanese responsible for that period in history, just as a w/m I ain't responsible for slavery 150 years ago.
Time goes on.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Next time you're driving down the road and you notice a smoke wagon, 4 out of 5 times it will be a Mits or a older DC car with a Mits engine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
While the Tiburon may be $6000 cheaper at the base, what are you getting for that $6000?  If you buy a RSX Type S, you get every option you can possibly imagine standard.  There are no options, it's all already there.  Cruise control, power everything, 6 disc Bose stereo system, moon roof, leather, ABS brakes, and probably more stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.  All that and a 6 speed, short throw tansmission hooked up to a 2.0L 210 horsepower non-turbo motor that get's 23/31 mpg and does 0-60 in 6.9 seconds and the quarter mile in 15 flat.  The RSX is is just a better car, that's all there is to it, much more bang for your buck.  Even if you don't get the RSX, just don't  the Tiburon.  How about this for you, in a head to head to head comparison, the Tiburon ranked 4th behind the Eclipse and Celica (tied for 2nd) and the RSX (1st) and the only one it beat out was the New Beetle Turbo from VW.  You'll probably find the article interesting if these are the cars you're shopping for, it's here

My Tiburon, lets see, I got cruise control, power everything, could have gotten a moon roof but I'm too tall for it, leather...  almost everything you just mentioned in the RSX.    $6000 more for a 6 disc head unit and ABS?    

0-60 in 7.1, runs the quarter in 15.4 I beleive.  That $6000 put into a Tiburon and it will EAT an RSX.  With an intake and headers, the Tiburon will edge out an RSX type R.   Hell, for $200, put just an intake on the Tiburon, and it's pretty much faster than the base RSX, even with the Type S and probably even with the Type R.  Plus better torque... Horsepower is nothing without torque.    The only area that the RSX might do better is 80mph+ where the little four banger's high rev HP resides.    

Oh, and I payed $18,000 for mine, so that's what, $8000 less?  

So you're really not getting much more 'bang for your buck' for the extra $8000, now are you?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"BMW:  From the same folks who brought you Omaha Beach"

yup, I dont like them either .. BUT!    they went and bought Chrysler, and I drive Jeeps! so I cannot get away from them!

Duh, that was Mercedes that bought Chrysler.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's foreign.
Any outher questions?

Well, genius, so are many GM and Ford trucks and cars.  Check your facts.  Maybe you won't look like such a dumbass then.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Here is a nice 4 door that is not on your list... and it's built in Indiana.

That's what I drive.

If I had to pick from your list, I'd get a new TL.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#18]
You're God-damn right, we need to go out and kill us some dirty slant-eyed rice eating sons of Hirihito right now for what the Japs did to us in Pearl Harbor!!

What a fucking moron!

Quoted:
FORGIVE AND FORGET!??? I THINK NOT!!!!
www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/g470000/g474789.jpg
www.pearl-harbor.us/december7/images/PR-12.jpg
www.ww2guide.com/pearl3l.jpg
www.grunts.net/album/pearl/pearl8.gif

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/back1.jpg

Here is a nice 4 door that is not on your list... and it's built in Indiana.

I'd buy that if the price were right.  

Actually, I think my next car will be something like that, maybe a Mazda 6 V6, or even the Saab 92x.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...or even the Saab 92x.

A rebadged WRX..........nice.

Subaru is now building Saabs?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
they should of stuck with the GSX eclipse and not stuck a shitty v-6 in it.  it needs more power and the old gsx's looked better

I had a '96 GSX that was positively wonderful.  Excellent handling and it actually looked good.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#23]
The new suburus are fucking HOT cars. My wife is torn between the legacy and the Mazda 6, I also really like the Nissan Altima 3.5.

All three of the above, IMO, would be a better choice than any of the others mentioned here.

THe 6 for example, for $26k has full power, moonroof, CD AND casette, butter smooth 5sp, 3L 220HP V-6, leather, steering wheel radio and CC  buttons, that cool new gauge illumination, dual exaust, sport package etc etc and handles like a dream.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

But I have NO experience with Mitsubishi cars regarding quality, reliability, etc.

Neither does anyone else.

Avoid Mitsubishi. The company is filled with arrogant assholes that think WAY too much of the shit they crap out on the market... Not to mention, most Mitsubishi owners are assholes.

I mean, avoid any company that says in their commercials that they are "Better than even BMW and Mercedes." It's cheap shit, is that it is.

Fuckin' Mitsubishis. A pansymobile is more like it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Buying foreign cars puts American business out of biz.

That is the funniest, and most uneducated, statement I've ever read here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...or even the Saab 92x.

A rebadged WRX..........nice.

Subaru is now building Saabs?  

It's the GM connection.......look at the pics side by side.......WRX wagon and 92X wagon.......

www.fast-autos.net/saab/92x.jpg

www.hill-kleerup.org/blog/images/subaru_wrx-wgn.jpg

It might just be the angle of the second pic, but it looks like the A pillar is not the same angle... otherwise, they are pretty dang similar...    I'd probably take either, really.  I just have a place in my heart for Saab, since I used to have a 900 Turbo, and I have Swedish blood in me.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I got a Mitsu Lancer and the transmission went bad with about 9,000 miles on the clock.  And I drive it easy.  Tranny was replaced under warranty.

Now, does this mean reliability is bad? I dunno.  My wife also had a transmission go bad in her Honda Accord (there was actually a recall on it, they replaced the tranny and extended the warranty on it to 100,000 miles).  Shit happens...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Tiburon, lets see, I got cruise control, power everything, could have gotten a moon roof but I'm too tall for it, leather...  almost everything you just mentioned in the RSX.    $6000 more for a 6 disc head unit and ABS?    

0-60 in 7.1, runs the quarter in 15.4 I beleive.  That $6000 put into a Tiburon and it will EAT an RSX.  With an intake and headers, the Tiburon will edge out an RSX type R.   Hell, for $200, put just an intake on the Tiburon, and it's pretty much faster than the base RSX, even with the Type S and probably even with the Type R.  Plus better torque... Horsepower is nothing without torque.    The only area that the RSX might do better is 80mph+ where the little four banger's high rev HP resides.    

Oh, and I payed $18,000 for mine, so that's what, $8000 less?  

So you're really not getting much more 'bang for your buck' for the extra $8000, now are you?  

Yes actually,  I'm paying for the Honda engineered vehicle that I can drive, drive, and drive some more without having to worry about it breaking down.  Can you say the same about a Hyundai?  Don't think so.  When I'm paying 18k for a car and they are giving[\u] me a 10yr warranty with it for no extra charge, I have to wonder what that says about their confidence in the build quality of that vehicle.   From the stuff i've heard about the quality, or lack there-of, from Hyundai vehicles, they'd have to pay me, and give me the warranty before I'd buy and drive the thing, or any other vehicle from them.

If the Hyundai Tiburon is really all that great, why is it rated at the back of the pack, or at least somewhere towards the middle, in all of the sport coupe comparisons I've read?  Why is it that the Celica and RSX are rated at the top, usually with the RSX being number 1 of all these tests if they are over priced and you can get the same thing for less?  I'm guessing these "industry experts" doing the testing just have no idea what the heck it is they are talking about and these publications need to find someone new to test them.  Dude, give it up, to put in terms all the AR owners on the site can understand, you're trying to compare a Hesse to an Armalite.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:Yes actually,  I'm paying for the Honda engineered vehicle that I can drive, drive, and drive some more without having to worry about it breaking down.  Can you say the same about a Hyundai?  Don't think so.  When I'm paying 18k for a car and they are giving me a 10yr warranty with it for no extra charge, I have to wonder what that says about their confidence in the build quality of that vehicle.   From the stuff i've heard about the quality, or lack there-of, from Hyundai vehicles, they'd have to pay me, and give me the warranty before I'd buy and drive the thing, or any other vehicle from them.

If the Hyundai Tiburon is really all that great, why is it rated at the back of the pack, or at least somewhere towards the middle, in all of the sport coupe comparisons I've read?  Why is it that the Celica and RSX are rated at the top, usually with the RSX being number 1 of all these tests if they are over priced and you can get the same thing for less?  I'm guessing these "industry experts" doing the testing just have no idea what the heck it is they are talking about and these publications need to find someone new to test them.  Dude, give it up, to put in terms all the AR owners on the site can understand, you're trying to compare a Hesse to an Armalite.

What you're saying is, you're paying more for a REPUTATION.   Honda (and Acura, before it's rebadged inception) used to make CRAP.  Hyundai USED to make crap.  Honda got better, and is now one of the top quality brands in imports.  Doesn't it even make one tidbit of sense in your brain that maybe, just MAYBE Hyundai improved themselves?    If I recall, it was JD Power that cited Hyundai as the most improved brand in the last 5 years.  

When comparing only four vehicles, one has to be first, and one has to be last.  I also recall, that article did have a fair amount of 'subjective' input, such as reliability based on reputation.  Hyundai had very poor quality in the past, which is going to taint that.  

Also as I mentioned before, Hyundai, in the most recent Initial Quality Survey BEAT Honda AND Toyota.  The year before it was one place behind Toyota, TIED with Honda.  What does that say to you?  

You're also saying that if Hesse got their shit together and started making a quality product, that they'd still be a shitty product simply because they bear the same name, which is contradictory.  

I bought a good car.  I trust it.  15 months of outstanding reliability so far, with 0 problems.  I have a great looking, nice handling, comfortable, quick, sleek car.   I'm just relaying my HANDS ON EXPERIENCE to my fellow board members.   I'm not going off of any manufacturer's reputations.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#33]
It appears that if I got the Tiburon loaded like the Acura (and even then there are some things in the Acura that are not available in the Tiburon) then I'd be looking at an MSRP of $21,600 on the Tiburon and an MSRP of $23,320 on the Acura.

With 0% financing on the Tiburon and 3.9% on the Acura, this makes the Acura start to get into the ballpark of being $4100 more expensive, though when factoring in gas mileage it ends up only being about $3200 more expensive over 5 years.

However, I think the Acura scores better in crash ratings, which probably make it less costsly insurance-wise, plus it is nice knowing you are in a safer car.

I've got to think that the Acura probably has a MUCH better resale value.

Of course, we know it is without a doubt very reliable.

OK, guys, perhaps you can help me a little more here - if a car has an MSRP of $23,320, what do you think the lowest price is that I could get it for?  And do you think I could negotiate an even lower APR than 3.9%, which is what Acura is offering?  I have EXCELLENT credit.

Value, to me, is the name of the game.  The Acura, IMHO, is a much nicer car than any of those on my mind, including the Celica, Mazda, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi - and the only one coming close to knocking it around is the Hyundai due to the price and 0% APR.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I would pay the extra money just to not drive a Hyundai. I don't care how they dress it up, it's still a Hyundai and Hyundai's just ain't cool.

Don't get me wrong, if someone needs transportation and they have to buy a new car but have less than $10k, get the Hyundai. But if you are buying the car for any other reason other than price, get something else.  

(resale sucks ass on Hyundais too, know why?? that 10 year warranty is NON TRANSFERABLE)
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, Matthew_Q, although you have made a good arguement for the Hyundai, I still can't agree with you.  I still think the Acura is the much better value and the much better car.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.  I have nothing against you for driving one, and I'm not gonna say the car sucks either, because for one thing, it doesn't, you could do so much worse, and I'm also not the type of person to knock another man's ride.  It's good you like your car so much, because that's what matters, the rest of us don't have to drive it every day.  We may point and laugh behind your back though...     (i'm kidding of course)

Greywolf, couldn't tell you what your best bet on a price would be, I didn't visit any dealerships or talk prices on them.  I think your best bet would be to wait until the 2005 models start hitting the lots, then go and start talking to the sales guys about picking up one of the 2004's.  You should be able to get them to cut you a pretty sweet deal by getting the old model off their lot.   Try and make it so you are doing them a favor by taking the car.  I don't know if you'll get that much better of a deal, but there's usually some kind of sale going on around now to clear them out.  That's what I'd do if I were you.  That's what I planned to do till I realized I can't afford a new car right now.  Maybe next year...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Good points, jaq, thanks.  I hate buying new cars - haven't had to in a long time (My 96 civic with 208,000 miles is still going strong) but eventually I will have to.

I'm also considering the Mazda 6 - may just have to test drive a few.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Jaqattack, we agree then ;)    

I also concede several points to show that I'm not blinded by my love for my car:

Resale value.  Unfortuantely because of Hyundai's previous reputation, the resale value does suck in comparison to Honda/Acura and Toyota.  Although right now, most manufacturer's resale values are dropping anyway.  I just saw something to day that a Nissan dealer in NJ is giving away a used Nissan with every new Nissan purchased (I'm not sure of the details or limits... but dealers are starting to struggle to sell new cars)

Some of the weaknesses of the Tiburon:  Slightly underpowered.  With a V6, I'd be happier with 200-210 stock, but only get 171.   My simple bolt ons made the difference, but it would have been nice to have STARTED with better power.   OTOH, it does have a shitload of torque in comparison to 4cyl models.    Also the clutch in the 03s is, simply put, a shitty clutch.  Mine is holding fine, but I've heard of many failing.  04s up are supposed to have a redesigned clutch that remedies lots of the problems with the previous one.  

Other than those, there's only the stigma of the reputation.  

Grey, I'd say it like this, I think you'd be happy with the Tiburon, or the Acura.  The Acura will have a better resale value, but you will pay more for it.   I think either way, you're not going to lose.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Can anyone else verify this:

31 MAR 99: Three U.S. Army soldiers were missing in Macedonia near the Yugoslav border Wednesday night after possibly being captured by members of the Serb military or police while on a reconnaissance mission, the Pentagon and NATO officials said. An immediate search and rescue mission was launched, involving ground and helicopter teams from several NATO countries and the Allied Rapid Reaction Corps based in the Macedonian capital of Skopje, U.S. officials said. Searchers included 80 to 90 soldiers on U.S. Blackhawk and British helicopters. The Army team had been on a daytime reconnaissance mission in the Kumanovo area of Macedonia near the southern Yugoslavia border when they reported ''they received small arms fire and said they were surrounded,'' according to NATO. ''No more was heard from the patrol,'' a NATO statement said.

On Wednesday, March 31, 1999, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, a class action complaint was filed on behalf of United States veterans of World War II, against Japanese companies who used United States prisoners as forced laborers during the war, including Nippon Sharyo, Ltd.; Mitsubishi Corp.; Showa Denko, Ltd.; Sumitomo Corp.; Yodogawa Steel Works, Ltd.; Nippon Steel Corp.; and Mitsui and Co., Ltd. The complaint seeks money damages and other relief on behalf of former United States prisoners of Japan, who were forced to labor for Japanese industry during World War II, in violation of international law and under inhumane conditions. The complaint asserts claims for violations of international law, for unjust enrichment, for injuries in tort, and for unlawful, unfair, and fraudulent business practices.

www.aiipowmia.com/updates/updt0399.html
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Had 2 Eclipse's. I would not recommend them. The first was an automatic and the tranny went bad. Spent alot of money and it would still not run right so I sold it.   I had heard that Mitsubishi's had pretty strong engines and I really liked the ride, handling, and layout of the inside of the car so I decided to buy a newer 5-speed. After a year the transmission went out, luckily it was still under warranty so I took it in and they replaced it.  Another year went by and the tranny went out again, this time not under warranty and it was my expense to fix. The cars rode really well, but were very unreliable.
Jason.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Here is another one:

As prisoners of war, Tenney among them, they were taken to a prison camp by the Japanese army on what became infamous as the nine-day, 55-mile-long Bataan Death March, during which 1000 of them perished. The atrocities they suffered have to some extent been revealed. But what happened afterward -- - when they were forced into inhuman slave labor for some of Japan's biggest corporations -- - remains largely unknown. These corporations, many of which have become global giants, include such familiar names as Mitsubishi, Mitsui, Kawasaki and Nippon Steel.

<SNIP>

Through interviews with former POWs and examinations of government records and court documents, I learned that in 1999 Tenney had filed a lawsuit for reparations in a California state court. His suit was followed by a number of others by veterans who had suffered a similar fate. The Japanese corporations, instead of confronting their dark past, went into deep denial. Represented by American law firms, they maintained that, by treaty, they didn't owe anybody anything -- not even an apology.
<SNIP>

In Japan, the prisoners were sent to a coal mine about 35 miles from a city they had never heard of called Nagasaki. The mine was owned by the Mitsui conglomerate, which is today one of the world's biggest corporations. You see the truck containers it builds on every highway in America. The mine was so dangerous that Japanese miners refused to work in it.

<SNIP>

Another seaman, George Cobb, was aboard the submarine Sealion in Manila Bay when it was sunk in an air attack three days after Pearl Harbor. Cobb was shipped to a copper mine in northern Japan owned by the Mitsubishi corporate empire. Clad only in gunnysack like garments, the POWs had to trudge to the mine through l0-foot-high snowdrifts in bitter winter cold. Of 10 captured Sealion crewmen, Cobb is the sole survivor. "I try not to remember anything," he says. "I want it to be a four-year blank."

home.comcast.net/~winjerd/Parade.htm
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Can anyone else verify this:

31 MAR 99: Three U.S. Army soldiers were missing in Macedonia near the Yugoslav border Wednesday night after possibly being captured by members of the Serb military or police while on a reconnaissance mission, the Pentagon and NATO officials said. An immediate search and rescue mission was launched, involving ground and helicopter teams from several NATO countries and the Allied Rapid Reaction Corps based in the Macedonian capital of Skopje, U.S. officials said. Searchers included 80 to 90 soldiers on U.S. Blackhawk and British helicopters. The Army team had been on a daytime reconnaissance mission in the Kumanovo area of Macedonia near the southern Yugoslavia border when they reported ''they received small arms fire and said they were surrounded,'' according to NATO. ''No more was heard from the patrol,'' a NATO statement said.

On Wednesday, March 31, 1999, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, a class action complaint was filed on behalf of United States veterans of World War II, against Japanese companies who used United States prisoners as forced laborers during the war, including Nippon Sharyo, Ltd.; Mitsubishi Corp.; Showa Denko, Ltd.; Sumitomo Corp.; Yodogawa Steel Works, Ltd.; Nippon Steel Corp.; and Mitsui and Co., Ltd. The complaint seeks money damages and other relief on behalf of former United States prisoners of Japan, who were forced to labor for Japanese industry during World War II, in violation of international law and under inhumane conditions. The complaint asserts claims for violations of international law, for unjust enrichment, for injuries in tort, and for unlawful, unfair, and fraudulent business practices.

www.aiipowmia.com/updates/updt0399.html

Can't verify it, but I can say I've heard the same thing from a couple friends of mine.  Nothing to prove the truth in it though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Next time you're driving down the road and you notice a smoke wagon, 4 out of 5 times it will be a Mits or a older DC car with a Mits engine.

Yup! Seems as the Mits clan can't make valve seals... And as posted earlier, have real problems with their automatic transmissions. You couldn't give me a free one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I've been giving a lot of thought lately to buying a new (or recently used) car.

I think I'd like something either a little sporty (Eclipse, Integra, RSX-S type, Celica, Supra, Mazda 3) etc.) or a more powerful 4 door sedan with a little more luxury (Mazda 6, Lancer, Acura RL or TL, used Lexus).

I really like 5 or 6 speeds, and I'd like to have some good gas mileage.

My biggest criteria, though, is RELIABILITY and the car staying as new as possible (no rattles, squeaks, problems) for as long as possible.

I recently saw that Mitsubishi is offering 3 year free scheduled maintenance, 3 year/50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, and 10/100,000 power train.

But I have NO experience with Mitsubishi cars regarding quality, reliability, etc.

Anyone?

Man, fuck foreign cars.  Buy American.  WTF?

Support OUR economy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been giving a lot of thought lately to buying a new (or recently used) car.

I think I'd like something either a little sporty (Eclipse, Integra, RSX-S type, Celica, Supra, Mazda 3) etc.) or a more powerful 4 door sedan with a little more luxury (Mazda 6, Lancer, Acura RL or TL, used Lexus).

I really like 5 or 6 speeds, and I'd like to have some good gas mileage.

My biggest criteria, though, is RELIABILITY and the car staying as new as possible (no rattles, squeaks, problems) for as long as possible.

I recently saw that Mitsubishi is offering 3 year free scheduled maintenance, 3 year/50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, and 10/100,000 power train.

Anyone?

Man, fuck foreign cars.  Buy American.  WTF?

Support OUR economy.

Not this shit again!!!!!!!!

You do know that foriegn car companies actually do have lots of plants here in the US right?? You do know that American car companies have lots of plants in Mexico right?? You do know that when you buy a foreign car you are supporting every American that works at that dealership right??? You do know that some foreign car companies (Jag for instance) are domestically owned and some "American" car comanies are foregn held (Daimler-Chrysler) The argument to buy an American car to help the economy was legit about 25 years ago, it isn't anymore.

You do know that when you buy a "Chevy" Prizm you are really buying a Toyota Corolla right?? It goes on and on.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Palo, shut up.  He will be supporting out economy either way.  The auto industry has gotten so mixed up recently, he'll end up supporting the economy either by buying a car from a japanese company that is partly owned by an american company, or at the very least, produces it's cars here.  I don't believe any of them import anymore, pretty much all cars sold here are built here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I owned a 96 Ecliplse Spyder from 3000 miles until it was totalled at about 78000 miles, I absolutely loved the styling (imo one of the best looking convertibles out there...period) and the reliability was pretty damned good. (at about 75000 miles I had to spend ~$900 on seals and bearings but by then the car was 8 years old which is good in my book!)

I never had the car fail to start on me but the roof did begin leaking every 3 years or so which required a waterproofing agent or top replacement. Plus the design sucked as it would just pour into the seat at a drive through due to the sharp inward angle of the a pillar....right above my left thigh...wonderful stuff.

Even though it was reliable I probably wouldn't buy another one though (new styling sucks, the cars are underpowered for their class, gas mileage was shitty given the low power, very mediocre handling, torque steer under acceleration, etc.) There are just better cars out there for the money in the marketplace right now.

honda's are legendary in reliability as are toyota (close second in my book) but given the choice I'd go for a Subaru (almost any variant) they're very good all-around cars.

Have fun!

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top