Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Had one growing up.

They live through their nose.  If they get their smeller on, their ears shut off.  

Mine shed quite a bit and had the beagle smell.  

If you're looking for a low maintenance dog, you have the wrong breed.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:15:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had to put my beloved Golden down over the summer, we are thinking about getting another dog for the kids and ourselfs. We are thinking of getting a 13 inch Beagle because the wife thinks they cute.

Has anyone have any experience with Beagles, are they good dogs?

Brian

I absolutely adore Beagles.  My 13 year old Lab is having a really rough time right now and if I get another dog, there is a really good chance that it will be a beagle.  My gf has 2 beagle boys, both lab rescues and she had a female that was a rescue from http://www.brewbeagles.org/.  No howlers and they generally only bark when someone comes to the door.

They're affectionate, goofy, sweet dogs.  Don't expect a watch dog and don't expect a beagle to stay in an unfenced yard, though my gf's dogs seem to not wander too far.  Two thumbs up for beagles here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a 13" Beagle from 96 to 2007.

Great dog. He loved everybody.

Loved to play and clown around.

Extremely stubborn, but trainable.

Mine wasn't a howler.

He did eat a few leather wallets though

Epic appetite. One time he knocked over and opened the bucket his food was kept in, while I was at work.

He ate so much he looked like he swallowed a beach ball when I got home.

He had cervical disc issues that were surgically repaired at around age 5 and recovered 100%

He developed Cushings Disease, and eventually had to be put down at age 11.

I still miss him.

RIP Bart
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:36:14 AM EDT
[#4]
My 11 year old Beagle just walked in her doggy door as I type this. She has been a wonderful dog, and I will get another when she's gone. Great family dog, great watch dog. When she was young, I had to work to keep her in the 1/2 acre fenced yard, constantly fixing and filling holes in the fence, they do love to follow their nose. She spends a good amount of time trailing the neighborhood cats at full bay.

Now in her dotage, she's allowed to roam our little 5 house neighborhood, she never gets far from home. She always is excited to see me when I come home, howling in excitement. Now that my next door neighbor, who lives alone, has lost his dog, she goes over to welcome him home every afternoon too. She also barks at his door demanding to be let in for a treat!

He loves it.

Downside, she's occasionally found the trash too tempting, and can't seem to pass up a good sh*t pile if she runs across one, even though she knows it will cost her when she gets home.. They need room to roam. They are not good leash dogs.

IMHO, dogs are in large part a reflection of their owner and how they were raised/trained. Granted, dogs are individuals and have distinct personalities, but many of the problems reported here are because of the owner, not the dog. The dog reflects the investment of time and effort put into him. Dogs that chew on things are bored. Mine never did, but she got a lot of attention, and had things to do. Same with incessant barking. Dog wants attention.

Mine is a loyal, loving, valued member of the family. She sleeps next to me on the floor, checks the cars when they arrive looking for the kids, and does her best to advise us of any threats she perceives. Wouldn't trade her for anything. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#5]
My little guy

He loves to bark, howl,  bark and dig.  He is almost as dumb as a box of rocks but is very loyal.

I wouldn't trade him for all the money in the world.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine was incredibly loyal, to the point of having separation anxiety.

He had more personality than any other dog I have had. I'm talking LOTS.

And he ran 24/7 at about 100 mph.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I would love to have a pair of beagles for rabbit hunting, have 160 acres to run them on, but I don't think I really have the energy for them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are great, if you like loud, destructive, and vengeful critters that get away with 99% of what they do because they are cute.

http://foodcourtlunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/beagle3.jpg

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Multiple personality animals.

Inside beagle loves people and other pets. Not too hard to train. Ours rings a bell when he wants out. He sits, lays down and does other tricks.
Basically a 25# lap dog that loves attention.

Outside beagle says fuck you, I'm chasing bunnies. Needs space to run and exercise every day.

Ours rarely makes a noise inside, only when on a bunny trail.

This pretty much sums it up.

My beagle didnt have a "funk" and was a good dog. Either I got lucky or some of yall just cant train dogs

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Delete
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would never ever own another anything but a hound!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#13]
My experience with Beagles is that guys who hunt with them love them.  The people who get them as pets, well, life is an adventure for folks like that.  

They bark, they chase, they get their nose to the ground and will go missing for days.  Oh, and guess what dog is most stolen during hunting season?  Some people will go out and "liberate" a Beagle for a few weeks of brush busting fun and then dump the little feller back off exhausted.  

I'd choose a different breed for a pet.  You simply cannot convince to not engage in the behaviors that make them such great hunting dogs.  I've had two and they were both wonderful but we hunted with them.  

Speaking of hounds.  My sister, the hippie, decided to get a dog a while ago.  She wound up getting this absolutely adorable Blue Tick/Bassett Hound puppy.  I knew she was doomed as soon as I met the dog.  It's got a bark that rattles the windows, is almost as fun to walk on a leash as a D9 Cat, and is so hard headed it's really quite funny.  After I explained to Sis that her adopted baby girl was your garden-variety hillbilly dog it all made sense to her.  The plus side is the dog's extreme protective nature.  Got a mouth like a chain saw.

If you have experience with retrievers you might want to consider that hounds are wired completely differently.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm on my second Beagle. The first one had to be put down when he was 10 because he had cancer of his bladder. It was a dark, sad day. Both Beagles have been nothing but awesome. Great companions, good with kids and other animals, truly a joy to have around. I haven't experienced any of the "bad" with either of my dogs. They do bay, mostly to let you know when something is around. My first Beagle I trained with a shock collar so I could have him off leash in the woods. Only had to use it about twice. My second Beagle listens really good, even with the nose to the ground. They do like food, and could probably defuse a bomb if you gave them enough treats. They do like their comfort and will quickly takeover your recliner, especially if you are in it so they can snuggle and get you to pet them. I can't imagine not ever having one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#15]
My beagle demands attention, and loves me silly. He is the sweetest dog I've ever met. They can be very smart (mine is) and deceitful. He knows what he is and isn't allowed to do, and behaves in my presence. When I'm not around....yeah.

Great dogs. They'll eat until they look like Jabba the Hut. They will dig. They are adorable. That's about all I've got..
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They howl a lot.

Oh, and they can have strong personalities, very clingy.

No.....they sing.

Awrawrawrawrawrawrawrawr......think of 15 minutes of that.

I have two. A tri-color and a blonde "lemon" beagle. Stubborn. Very stubborn.

The tricolor Beagle (Scooby) is friendly and is pretty mellow for the most part. Not a cuddle slut, he prefers to sit at our feet. Unlike most Beagles he learned to play fetch. Before we got the second Beagle he cuddled up in a ball with our two cats every night.

The lemon Beagle (Gus)....well, his nickname is "dumb dumb". He doesn't learn and unfortunately has a loud, deep bark. We tried a shock collar but he just shocked the shit out of himself till his neck was raw. As I said....dumb dumb. We finally bought the collar that sprays citrus in his face, it works maybe 1/2 the time. He likes to cuddle, is always trying to lay on top of or next to us. Unfortunately he can't control his wild urge to eat our cats so they stick to the basement or second floor.

They're good dogs but like "packs of two". They give the majority of their attention to one person, and if you have another dog it won't be you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine does not howl at all.  She is the sweetest dog imaginable.  Yes, she is clingy.  She sheds like nobody's business.  She misse us terribly when we leave for the weekend or vacation.  We made the mistake of letting her sleep with us when she was a puppy, and she quickly decided she liked being under the covers, between us, glued to one of us, more than she liked her kennel.  Subsequently, she now thinks our bed is hers.

I cannot imagine a better dog ever.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a beagle growing up. She was a sweetheart. I've had two Mini Schnauzers since then. Terriers are just as vocal, and don't shed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They howl a lot.

No.....they sing.

Awrawrawrawrawrawrawrawr......think of 15 minutes of that.

I have two. A tri-color and a blonde "lemon" beagle. Stubborn. Very stubborn.

The tricolor Beagle (Scooby) is friendly and is pretty mellow for the most part. Not a cuddle slut, he prefers to sit at our feet. Unlike most Beagles he learned to play fetch. Before we got the second Beagle he cuddled up in a ball with our two cats every night.

The lemon Beagle (Gus)....well, his nickname is "dumb dumb". He doesn't learn and unfortunately has a loud, deep bark. We tried a shock collar but he just shocked the shit out of himself till his neck was raw. As I said....dumb dumb. We finally bought the collar that sprays citrus in his face, it works maybe 1/2 the time. He likes to cuddle, is always trying to lay on top of or next to us. Unfortunately he can't control his wild urge to eat our cats so they stick to the basement or second floor.

They're good dogs but like "packs of two". They give the majority of their attention to one person, and if you have another dog it won't be you.

They really like the company of other dogs, esp beagles. It's easier to keep two than one.
Lucy wants to go out and run!

Lucy again

Lucy as a puppy

Abbie is 14 now. She's slowed down quite a bit. We actually had to kill this deer for her.

Here is Lucy and Blue in the crate that is strapped to my quad. If lucy doesn't get to run at the club every week she turns into a floppy eared monster!  Blue is actually half dashound, which is actually the perfect breed.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to put my beloved Golden down over the summer, we are thinking about getting another dog for the kids and ourselfs. We are thinking of getting a 13 inch Beagle because the wife thinks they cute.

Has anyone have any experience with Beagles, are they good dogs?

Brian

I had one when I wa younger. They are affectionate dogs, but mine stunk.. Even after you gave her a  bath.

That is a "hound" thing.
My Dachs Hound smells funky after 6 days too.
So Sunday is bath day.  Always.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Every beagle i have come across has been a loud obnoxious asshole. not saying they are bad dogs, but in my experiance, i wouldn't ever get one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mine was incredibly loyal, to the point of having separation anxiety.

He had more personality than any other dog I have had. I'm talking LOTS.

And he ran 24/7 at about 100 mph.

feind had one that would howl non stop til he came home. then would howl and cry for an hour afterwards. unacceptable IMO.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#23]
My girlfriend had one named Maggie.  She was attached to me at the hip.  Every time I would go over there to see my girls Maggie would be joined at my hip.  She would push my girlfriend off the couch so she could sit next to me.  Sadly she had to be put down because she hurt her back jumping off her parents deck.  I think I cried more than my girlfriend did!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had two and I must be lucky because I haven't experienced near as many of the bad aspects of beagle ownership that some of you guys have.

My current one was the runt of the litter and is about 5 years old....
I've never noticed the smell but I also don't let him roam the neighborhood looking for shit to roll in. I actually think he smells kind of nice as far as dogs go.
He loves all people, especially kids and is super patient with them.
He rarely barks except for when someone comes to the front door. I've heard him try to bay/howl a couple of times but due to his runt status it sounds pretty pathetic.
When it's warm he spends all day outside "hunting" and eating toads, grasshoppers, and lizards. Any other time he is fast asleep.
When we first got him, he used to cry and tear shit up whenever we would leave the house. The vet "diagnosed" him with separation anxiety. Fortunately, the problems stopped immediately after we got a second dog and now we can leave them home alone for a weekend without worry. I can't remember the last thing that he chewed on.
He is stubborn but trainable, if you have a pocket full of treats and a bunch of time.

However, with all that good stuff being said, I will never own another beagle. The sole reason is that I want to have a dog that will hang out around a camp site or in the garage without being tied down. I've tried to let him off the leash many times but he just follows his nose and takes off. He's better than my old beagle in that he knows the boundaries of the house and won't go past them if you are watching him but the minute we stop paying attention he starts following the first scent he finds.

ETA: Scout
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#25]
They were bred to run around in big packs howling their heads off.  Very independent which can be mistaken for stubbornness.  Not a dog that will be trained to razor sharp obedience.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They howl a lot.

Mine is the complete opposite of that. I have to try to get him to bark unless he hears coyotes and sometimes not even then. He just stands there with his ears all perked up. Best dags ever
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've had two and I must be lucky because I haven't experienced near as many of the bad aspects of beagle ownership that some of you guys have.

My current one was the runt of the litter and is about 5 years old....
I've never noticed the smell but I also don't let him roam the neighborhood looking for shit to roll in. I actually think he smells kind of nice as far as dogs go.
He loves all people, especially kids and is super patient with them.
He rarely barks except for when someone comes to the front door. I've heard him try to bay/howl a couple of times but due to his runt status it sounds pretty pathetic.
When it's warm he spends all day outside "hunting" and eating toads, grasshoppers, and lizards. Any other time he is fast asleep.
When we first got him, he used to cry and tear shit up whenever we would leave the house. The vet "diagnosed" him with separation anxiety. Fortunately, the problems stopped immediately after we got a second dog and now we can leave them home alone for a weekend without worry. I can't remember the last thing that he chewed on.
He is stubborn but trainable, if you have a pocket full of treats and a bunch of time.

However, with all that good stuff being said, I will never own another beagle. The sole reason is that I want to have a dog that will hang out around a camp site or in the garage without being tied down. I've tried to let him off the leash many times but he just follows his nose and takes off. He's better than my old beagle in that he knows the boundaries of the house and won't go past them if you are watching him but the minute we stop paying attention he starts following the first scent he finds.

ETA: Scout
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j252/25chuck/Dogs/Camping10-07022.jpg

This is the only negative thing that has been said about beagles that I can agree with.  There is no and I mean NO letting him off the leash, he is a great dog and loves us and would not intentionally leave I don't think but his nose is too impulsive.  I walk him and think sometimes that I could let him off especially if he gets tired after about 5 miles but then we see a rabbit in the neighborhood and ZOOOOOM out he goes to the end of the 27 foot leash.  As far as training mine was easy he took a very short tiime and now hell he wont even take a dump in his own yard where we tie him out he needs a walk.  We took him camping and we had him tied out on a line where he could get at least 30 or so feet outside of the campsite and he would not even go there he would need a walk before he could.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Mine is only half a Beagle (and half pug):

He doesn't bay OR howl  ...and looks at me like "WTF!..?" when other dogs do.

No smell either -he smells like hay if anything at all.

Free-fed, I fill the bowl every day or two.

Amazing personality, and stubborn, will tolerate anything kids do, independant, yet likes to be around.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#29]
cutest dog I've ever seen by far was a beagle puppy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Here is a pic of mine as a puppy... HOW COULD I SAY "NO" TO THAT!...?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The Beagles were the most over-rated band, ever.

Get out of my cab!!!!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I married into a hound family.  Had hounds around all the time.  Had a beagle for 15 years.  

What are they like?  They're cocksukers!  I will never own another hound.  Mine never found its voice till about two years of age.  Then it really liked to hear itself bay.  They're as stubborn as a mule, can be as cruel as a Middle East terrorist, cold as a woman scorned and as cute as fury kitten.  All in a package 15" or less.  I thought I was a hound man...

Now I have a golden retriever/black lab mix.  Love that dog.  Smart and family orientated.  Too bad I don't like hunting wildfowl.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Had one growing up.

They live through their nose.  If they get their smeller on, their ears shut off.  

Mine shed quite a bit and had the beagle smell.  

If you're looking for a low maintenance dog, you have the wrong breed.

Could have not Said it better myself.  My dad has a 6mo old beagle that I have been playing with since I visited him.  His nose is his lifeline and he's just a puppy.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#34]
We have two beagles and my in-laws have one as well. Love them to death. They're a great breed. They have great noses so if they track something it's hard to get them to break off. Both of our beagles are great with our 15 month old son.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Preferred canine of those who would eschew hounds:

If you have/had a Beagle or any other hound and the constant baying disturbs you and your "life-partner" then you should have provided a better environment for your dog.

Or maybe a cat is more your speed.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Beagles are dogs.

Snoopy was a beagle.

That is all I know about beagles.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Preferred canine of those who would eschew hounds:

http://www.monasutherland.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Boo-the-Cutest-Puppy-in-the-World-in-a-Halloween-Costume.jpg

If you have/had a Beagle or any other hound and the constant baying disturbs you and your "life-partner" then you should have provided a better environment for your dog.

Or maybe a cat is more your speed.

I thought that was an actual stuffed animal for a second. Or is it
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#38]
If you get one, get more than one. The dog will be happier for it. I grew up with beagles we used for running rabbits. We always had at least 3. Damn i miss those dogs
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.kaninekisses.com/sitebuilder/images/_5_of_5_-410x300.jpg

http://www.kaninekisses.com/sitebuilder/images/_3_of_5_-447x331.jpg

Don't matter whether you say no or not.  If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.  Beagles are prepared to do the crime and the time.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you get one, get more than one. The dog will be happier for it. I grew up with beagles we used for running rabbits. We always had at least 3. Damn i miss those dogs

Dogs are pack animals. They will always be happier with at least two.
Just make sure you are the alpha.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#41]
They are noisy, and if you get a good one, it will run away every chance it gets. So that it can go to work. Expect the shelters to put you on the frequent flyer list.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#42]
They can be very vocal. We had one when we were kids that wasn't that vocal. There was a guy down the block that had two of them he hunted rabbits with. They howled quite a bit.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They are noisy, and if you get a good one, it will run away every chance it gets. So that it can go to work. Expect the shelters to put you on the frequent flyer list.

She speaks to you, no?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I have one and love him dearly (only good thing to come out of my last LTR).

-Does he bay? Occasionaly, depends on whats out the if an ArfKitty or groundhog wanders into the yard he wont shut up until it's gone
-Does he bark? Every time someone pulls in th driveway and doesn't visit him first thing (gotta go #2 after getting home from work, he's all you'll hear until you go pet him)
-Can you house train him? Absolutely not, he's been in his doggie mansion for 3 years now and outdoors only for 5, I let him in the Shop if it drops below 20 for more then 24 hours. Before that in 1.5 years he always pee'd on the        kitchen floor in my apartment everyday, even being taken out 3 times a day
-Can he fly? Ohhh yeahhh, you know those in ground shock fences, the ones that stop even purebred Timber wolves when they are wearing the collars? Yeah had one of those set to "Max" (20ft shock zone) he'd take a running leap and spasm his way through the air to the other side.
-He doesnt eat much for a beagle, 4-6 cups of food a day and always some left in the dish
-Great with kids, I've more fear of him knocking one down and hurting the kid then him trying to bite or claw.
-Does he smell? Yeah he has a water phobia so giving him a bath is like trying to drown a cat.

If they stay indoors you have to have their nails trimmed. Ear mites tend to be an issue. Other then those and Shots in 7 years he's never been to the Vet except this year for an infection caused by fleas (someone skimped on his meds this year, I was getting the herbal stuff but couldn't find any)
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My girlfriend had one named Maggie.  She was attached to me at the hip.  Every time I would go over there to see my girls Maggie would be joined at my hip.  She would push my girlfriend off the couch so she could sit next to me.  Sadly she had to be put down because she hurt her back jumping off her parents deck.  I think I cried more than my girlfriend did!

My girl Molly did the same thing with my wife....she would have a full blown jealousy fit if the wife sat with me to watch a movie, she would force herself between us and lie there with her head in my lap. Wife thought it was pretty funny that she had to compete for my affections with a dog.  she cried as hard as I did when we had to put Molly down last May.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#46]

The most loving and lovable dog on Earth
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#47]
When we lived in town, my neighbor had one. Barked and howled all the time. One day, I came outside to find my other neighbor yelling at the beagle owner. He told him to move his car so he could get a clear shot at the dog the next time it howled. We moved to the country. No neighbor within miles. Only coyotes are heard howling now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.kaninekisses.com/sitebuilder/images/_5_of_5_-410x300.jpg

http://www.kaninekisses.com/sitebuilder/images/_3_of_5_-447x331.jpg

Don't matter whether you say no or not.  If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.  Beagles are prepared to do the crime and the time.

They would rather beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#50]
don't do it.

they're hard headed and hard to train. they're loud and obnoxious when they bark (it's an ear splitting bellow) and they're terrible for their nail trimmings and bath. oh and they usually eat everything they can.... so free feeding isn't an option unless you want a big round fatty of a dog.

I can't stand beagles. sure they're cute. but that's were the pro's stop.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top