BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because it's new and you'll incur the depreciation and sales tax.  Does it offer anything that a 2015 model with under 30k miles doesn't have?

The 2018 will have a total redesign, as I understand it.
View Quote
LOL - Its a Jeep.  The depreciation is not what you think, and I wouldn't buy a used Jeep with your money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've heard that next year it will be completely redesigned.  I generally agree with you, but it seems when they change models the older ones can lose value.
View Quote
The 2017 will be highly desirable as the new models are going to probably be less desirable to off roaders and Jeep enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother just picked up a 2 door Rubicon w/6 speed manual and 4:10's.

Less than a 1k miles on it but so far so good, which obviously isn't really a testament of longevity, but I'm pretty impressed with the improvements in build quality compared to older Chrysler vehicles I've owned and/or driven.

I'm a Chrysler guy, so I've owned a bunch over the years but they've always been good to me and never left me stranded.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I would highly recommend that you get the Rubicon version, its a lot of bang for the buck, and you will kick yourself later for not doing it on your new Jeep.  I would also recommend the auto transmission over the manual transmission.  It is easier to get rid of, and its more useful in the mountain environments with downhill assist and if you ever get into rock climbing/crawling.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 2012 with the 3.6 pentastar. Bought it new and it has 112,000 miles on it now. The only issue was the clockspring at 110k miles, and they fixed it under warranty. It has 33s on it with the 3.2(?) gears. I think I whould have liked the 3.73 gears better, but it has been fine on and off road though.

Changed oil every 5k miles. Difs and xfer case 60k, trans fluid 100k. Still runs fine, no error lights are on. The 12v plug on the dash stopped working. It has been rained in several time. The hard top leaks, but it gets taken off often and the seals get dirty.

I would not rush to buy a wrangler if you have no intention of taking the top off. There are a lot of options that are more practical if you have no desire to take the top off.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thread needs more CJ

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would highly recommend that you get the Rubicon version, its a lot of bang for the buck, and you will kick yourself later for not doing it on your new Jeep.  I would also recommend the auto transmission over the manual transmission.  It is easier to get rid of, and its more useful in the mountain environments with downhill assist and if you ever get into rock climbing/crawling.
View Quote
You mean the manual trans has hill start assist where it holds the brakes on for a few extra seconds until you take off.

Or going downhill you just ..... downshift the manual to control your speed better than an auto will.

Or rock crawling where you use the right gear and low range to crawl over things with just a little clutch feathering and throttle modulation and no wheel spin like guys hammering throttle with their autos.

Yeah the auto is easier to sell though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:53:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Because it's not a CJ with a V8?
View Quote
The JK makes twice the power of a stock cj.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because it's new and you'll incur the depreciation and sales tax.  Does it offer anything that a 2015 model with under 30k miles doesn't have?

The 2018 will have a total redesign, as I understand it.
View Quote
The depreciation of wranglers are some of the lowest in the automotive industry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:08:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I just bought a 2017 Gobi Unlimited Rubicon. Ordered it...took about 8 weeks to get arrive. Came into the dealer yesterday...haven't even picked it up yet!

and those who talk about jeeps dont depreciate... lmao the dealers had 2 year old Rubicons and were asking more than I paid for mine new.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:17:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You mean the manual trans has hill start assist where it holds the brakes on for a few extra seconds until you take off.

Or going downhill you just ..... downshift the manual to control your speed better than an auto will.

Or rock crawling where you use the right gear and low range to crawl over things with just a little clutch feathering and throttle modulation and no wheel spin like guys hammering throttle with their autos.

View Quote
You and I are both biased towards a manual, but most JK owners are not.  The fact is, auto is much better for crawling.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:39:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You and I are both biased towards a manual, but most JK owners are not.  The fact is, auto is much better for crawling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only for those that don't know how to use a standard.

No way in hell I'd own a slushbox in a Wrangler.

3.21 would suck

I've had my 2012 a little over a month. One of the most enjoyable vehicles I've owned.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#13]
You need to read everything you can online, about the maintenance problems.  Every forum, etc.

I've already read enough to be scared straight, and I've only scratched the surface.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:41:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Four door Wrangler?  Why not just skip right to minivan and put a soccer ball sticker on the back window? 
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Because it's a Jeep
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Becuz 4 dr..wrong color... and 2 new?

(I will still wave if you wave 1st)

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:47:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The 2017 will be highly desirable as the new models are going to probably be less desirable to off roaders and Jeep enthusiasts.
View Quote
Are they getting rid of the solid axles?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the comments, folks!

I test drove a Wrangler almost exactly like what I was looking for and liked it -- a lot. The clutch is greatly improved over what I remember from years back, and the shifting is buttery smooth with a nice solid feel to the shift gate. Tried an uphill pass at 60 MPH, shifting from 6th to 5th, then for shits and giggles to 4th. Loved the feel of that transmission and the response from the V6. I'd really like to have one but...

Getting in and out with my bad knee/hips/back was uncomfortable at best, even with the optional running boards, and operating the tailgate/hatch was awkward with my arthritic shoulders. So I think I'll just take my Suzuki down, have it detailed, and drive it for another 12 years or until it (or I) fall apart.

Getting old sucks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
nm
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Anything Chrysler should be avoided like the plague! They are unreliable junk.

The last Chrysler product I owned was a 95 Dodge Intrepid. I bought it new and took very good care of the car.

The transmission lost reverse at 70,007 miles. I got in one day, started it up, put it in reverse and heard a loud bang from under the car. This was just 7 miles after the powertrain warranty expired and they would not give me any help on a replacement. They used nylon for the reverse gear! I continued to drive it with no reverse always being careful when I parked. I was not going to spend another $2700 on this turd.

One day on my way home from work, the engine began making strange noises. I had always changed the oil when needed and was surprised to find a piece of the head had broken off. It was the piece that a cap for the rocker arms bolted to. Since it held the guide tube for the rocker arms in place, which had also broken, I could pick up the set of rocker arms for the back cylinder with my hand.

I had also had to replace most of the front end including struts with only 50,000 miles on the car.

I loved the way the car rode and handled, but it was mechanically a pile of crap.

When the engine broke, I called a junk yard to remove it!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#21]
It's a Chrysler/Mercedes/Fiat mash up. Door handles will fall off for no apparent reason. You will start to smell anti-freeze but can't determine where it's coming from. Bluetooth (if it has it) will begin to work intermittently. Door locks will randomly not work, or work too good, and the door won't open.
They look great, but so do new microwaves.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Four door fail bus, that's why.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
I own a '79 CJ-7 with a AMC 304 V8.  I'd take the JK over it if anything close to daily driving is involved.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My '67 Kaiser is geared 5.89.
View Quote
Jesus Christ man. If you were bouncing off the Rev limiter in top gear, would you be able to break the speed limit in a school zone?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

2013 3.6, 3.21 gears, 6speed, sport.

45k miles no issues so far and have been on a few cross country trips recently about 15 mpg

33x12 tires
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Lots of tards in here.  I drive a JKU everyday and no major issues.

If you are thinking of bigger tires save yourself the time, you are wanting 35 inch tires, on a 3 inch lift.  Get the hard top, as the soft top is only 500 bucks if you are so inclined to have one.

Here is what you really want to go with.

EVO 3 Inch Lift

Reservoir Shocks

Wheels & Tires

Summer Top
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Lots of tards in here.  I drive a JKU everyday and no major issues.

If you are thinking of bigger tires save yourself the time, you are wanting 35 inch tires, on a 3 inch lift.  Get the hard top, as the soft top is only 500 bucks if you are so inclined to have one.

Here is what you really want to go with.

EVO 3 Inch Lift

Reservoir Shocks

Wheels & Tires

Summer Top
View Quote
I second the hardtop.  Buy a soft top takeoff on Craigslist cheap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Hated my 2012 4 door manual wrangler
Fucking slow ass pig

My 95 4cyl 5 speed is more fun than the 2012

Never should have sold my 2001 4.0 5 speed, loved that one
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's been my experience with the clubs I run with. About 10% of the guys with a manual make it through an obstacle and all the guys with the autos as long as the pick the right line. The other 90% of the manual guys are blowing smoke trying to get into gear without stalling out. Just running both legs, eyes, brain, and hands in different circles is tough for the average guy.

Of course the average guy here would be in that top 10% having hundreds of trails under their belt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:You and I are both biased towards a manual, but most JK owners are not.  The fact is, auto is much better for crawling.
That's been my experience with the clubs I run with. About 10% of the guys with a manual make it through an obstacle and all the guys with the autos as long as the pick the right line. The other 90% of the manual guys are blowing smoke trying to get into gear without stalling out. Just running both legs, eyes, brain, and hands in different circles is tough for the average guy.

Of course the average guy here would be in that top 10% having hundreds of trails under their belt.
Well IMO manual vs auto is a moot point if each vehicle is equipped identically except for the trans it will go over every obstacle the other one will.

Most jeep guys (even lots of you guy posting in this thread) don't bother regearing their jeep after a lift and bigger tires. Sure it's driveable, but you lose that low end torque because you changed the final drive ratio with taller tires. That's why guys end up smoking their clutches and auto transmissions end up burnt up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bumping for the night crew.

Thanks for keeping 'em coming, guys. I'm taking notes.

Right now it looks like the only way I'm going to get a manual transmission is with the Wrangler or a Subaru Forester. A pickup truck isn't an option -- yet.
View Quote
I've got a 16 jk rubicon. You do NOT want 3.21 gears. 3.73 will be fine. I have had zero problems so far. I've had 3 YJ's a TJ and an XJ. This one is better than any of the others.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This, get the Rubicon!
I've had 3 jeeps, including a Rubicon,  Dana 44's and lockers from the factory if you even think you may need 4wd to get home. buy used if that's what it takes.
View Quote
I will never own a jeep again without lockers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
3.21 gear set seems odd for an off-road rig.
View Quote
fuck yeah, it does
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#35]
As stated, 3.21 isn't the ratio you want. You want the 3.73's.

Other than that, I'll never steer anyone away from a Wrangler.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's a Chrysler/Mercedes/Fiat mash up. Door handles will fall off for no apparent reason. You will start to smell anti-freeze but can't determine where it's coming from. Bluetooth (if it has it) will begin to work intermittently. Door locks will randomly not work, or work too good, and the door won't open.
They look great, but so do new microwaves.
View Quote
Get rid of the doors, problems solved.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You'll be hating that gear ratio....
View Quote
+1

Especially offroad.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Been driving the same Jeep for 16 years.  No problems outside of sun fading on the plastic parts.

I figure I'll drive it for another 4 years and get a new one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Shit engine.

Get a T4R, Land Cruiser, or Tacoma.

Buy old TJ to wheel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#40]
3:21 gears in a Jeep? Get the Rubicon instead.

Why buy a Jeep Wrangler? Because they hold there value way better than they should.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Love our Rubicon OP, sorry the Jeep didn't work out for you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#42]
The NSG370 isn't all that great of a transmission.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Jesus Christ man. If you were bouncing off the Rev limiter in top gear, would you be able to break the speed limit in a school zone?
View Quote
My 3A had 5.38s, and 235/15s. In low range, I think it would do 15mph. Maybe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I have that exact setup in a 2012. A few thoughts...

Get deeper gears. That ratio hates hills and is very underwhelming even with a manual.

Search the certified pre-owned listings on Chrysler's website. I snagged mine through that and picked it up several thousand under KBB listings. Hardly anyone wants a manual trans which helps tip the scale in your favor. Buy smart and look for a low mileage, single owner JKU.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I just picked up a 17 JKU last month to replace my modded/daily-driver 1992 XJ that had 405,000 miles. I prefer manual, but I went with an auto. I test-drove a manual JKU and didn't like it - it felt too slushy compared to the AX15 trans I'm used to. Unfortunately, I got one with the 3.21 gears because there were only a couple on the lot with 3.73s and they had more options than I wanted. The thing is slow as a slug because of that, but I'm also used to my modded TJU with 4.88 gears. No matter, as I am planning for a re-gear in the future any way. The interior is a huge improvement over older Wranglers. Mechanically, besides the engine, the JK seems like it's still pretty easy to work on. I've already installed a winch bumper and winch and it was simple enough to do.

ETA: I was going to get a used JKU until I realized, after searching extensively, that I was better off paying the extra $3000 for a new one with 20 miles instead of used and abused one with 50,000 miles.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top