Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the most stupid thing is...

pwned, Pwn3d... etc

the word is OWNED... it's not a bad word, I don't understand why it would be filtered...

someone please "splain" this to me!!!

Again, that is used by people who think it's cool, but, in reality, it's really stupid.

Things have changed since the 60's.  Including what is and what isn't cool.

But stupid is the same and "teh" and "pwned" and it's variations are still stupid.

So is the incorrect usage of "it's"  ...  

TRG

And where would that incorrect usage be?

Quick, get your bifocals...it's in the post of yours he quoted.

I know where it is.  I don't see any incorrect usage of it.

Well, it's a contraction of "it is" so it is as if you had typed this:

"But stupid is the same and "teh" and "pwned" and it is variations are still stupid."

I think you were thinking of its (possessive).

"It's" also shows ownership, as in the ownership by "pwned" of the variations.  DUH!

Before you two try to correct someone's usage of the English language, how about having a clue how it is used.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
for me teh only happens as a typo
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Welcome to teh internet.

Its no longer teh internet.  It is now Teh Intertron.

Well OMGWTFBBQ! FTW, I thought it was 'internets'...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

pwned, Pwn3d... etc

the word is OWNED... it's not a bad word, I don't understand why it would be filtered...

Again, that is used by people who think it's cool, but, in reality, it's really stupid.

But stupid is the same and "teh" and "pwned" and it's variations are still stupid.

TRG

"But stupid is the same and "teh" and "pwned" and it is variations are still stupid."

"It's" also shows ownership, as in the ownership by "pwned" of the variations.  DUH!

Before you two try to correct someone's usage of the English language, how about having a clue how it is used.

Bullshit.

link to a site explaining some remedial English

Its or It's?

Its is the possessive pronoun; it modifies a noun.

It's is a contraction of it is or it has.

Incorrect: The mother cat carried it's kitten in it's mouth.
(Possessive pronoun, no apostrophe)

Correct: The mother cat carried its kitten in its mouth.

Correct: I think it's going to rain today.
(Contraction of it is)

Correct: It's been a very long time.
(Contraction of it has)
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

it's
1) Contraction of it is.
2) Contraction of it has.

its: The possessive form of it.

Usage Note: Its is the possessive form of the pronoun it and is correctly written without an apostrophe. It should not be confused with the contraction it's (for it is or it has), which should always have an apostrophe.

LarryG - joo h4v3 j357 b33n pwn3d!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

pwned, Pwn3d... etc

TRG

Bullshit.

Its or It's?

(Contraction of it is)

(Contraction of it has)

LarryG teh PWNED.

TRG

If he were correct, yes.  But he is not correct.

Legend, your link does not work.  Some proof.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's
1) Contraction of it is.

Usage Note: Its is the possessive form of the pronoun it and is correctly written without an apostrophe. It should not be confused with the contraction it's (for it is or it has), which should always have an apostrophe.

Not hardly.  Example:  Moms car or Mom's car.  Which shows ownership?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
"teh" started out as a simply typo - for most people, the left hand types faster than the right.   Obviously has now achieved status beyond the typo.

Yeah, my MS Word spellcheck doesn't even correct it for me anymore.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Teh is an amplifier word.

For example, "teh awesome" is much awesomer than "awesome", and "teh hawt" is much hotter than "hot".

In other cases it reverses then amplifies the word(i.e. "teh shit")

But that's only if it's used in front of an adjective or adverb. Before a noun it just means "the". But in leet it does have it's own meaning.

(Pardon any redundancy as I'm too lazy to read the thread.)
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's
1) Contraction of it is.

more remedial English

You should use an apostrophe to form the possessive case of a noun or to show that you have left out letters in a contraction. Note that you should not generally use contractions in formal, academic writing.

The convertible's engine has finally died. (The noun "convertible's" is in the possessive case)
I haven't seen my roommate for two weeks. (The verb "haven't" is a contraction of "have not")
To form the possessive of a plural noun ending in "s," simply place an apostrophe after the "s."

He has his three sons' futures in mind.
In many suburbs, the houses' designs are too much alike.
Possessive pronouns -- for example, "hers," "yours," and "theirs" -- do not take apostrophes. This is the case for the possessive pronoun "its" as well: when you write "it's" with an apostrophe, you are writing a contraction for "it is."
The spaceship landed hard, damaging its radar receiver. ("its" is the possessive pronoun)
It's your mother on the phone. ("it's" is the contraction of "it is")
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's
1) Contraction of it is.

Are you serious?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's
1) Contraction of it is.

more remedial English

You should use an apostrophe to form the possessive case of a noun or to show that you have left out letters in a contraction. Note that you should not generally use contractions in formal, academic writing.

The convertible's engine has finally died. (The noun "convertible's" is in the possessive case)
I haven't seen my roommate for two weeks. (The verb "haven't" is a contraction of "have not")
To form the possessive of a plural noun ending in "s," simply place an apostrophe after the "s."

Possessive pronouns -- for example, "hers," "yours," and "theirs" -- do not take apostrophes. This is the case for the possessive pronoun "its" as well: when you write "it's" with an apostrophe, you are writing a contraction for "it is."
The spaceship landed hard, damaging its radar receiver. ("its" is the possessive pronoun)

You can post crap from the internet all day as well as snide remarks such as "more remedial English" all you wish, but you are wrong.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's
1) Contraction of it is.

Are you serious?

Are you seriously not answering the question?

Actually, you and the other 2 usual suspects can rant and rave all day long.  You are wrong plus I really don't care what you 3 think, if you wish to call what you do "thinking".
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's
1) Contraction of it is.

more remedial English

You can post crap from the internet all day as well as snide remarks such as "more remedial English" all you wish, but you are wrong.

Crap from the internet?

Do you have any books on English you can check?  Any reference you would respect to help resolve this (in your mind...because for just about everyone else this was resolved back in grade school).

ETA: And it's not snide...this truly is remedial English.  This is taught to children.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's
1) Contraction of it is.

Are you serious?

Actually, you and the other 2 usual suspects can rant and rave all day long.  You are wrong plus I really don't care what you 3 think, if you wish to call what you do "thinking".

Usual suspects?  What the hell are you talking about?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't stop laughing over the its/it's discussion, it's hilarious
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#21]
7h1$ 7hr34P 1$ 73h 9h3%
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, in classic ARFCOM tradition, why not use the teh both?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

Its or It's?

(Contraction of it is)

(Contraction of it has)

LarryG teh PWNED.

TRG

If he were correct, yes.  But he is not correct.

Legend, your link does not work.  Some proof.

Here's the first link.  The second one goes into more detail on the possessive versus contraction use.

the link

the second link
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's
1) Contraction of it is.

Are you serious?

You know, when you find yourself digging a deeper hole, it's best to stop digging...

But, hey, knock yourself out.

TRG

You should take your own advice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, when you find yourself digging a deeper hole, it's best to stop digging...

But, hey, knock yourself out.

TRG

You should take your own advice.

I'm surprised you didn't type, "You should take you're own advice".  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's
1) Contraction of it is.

Are you serious?

Usual suspects?  What the hell are you talking about?

LarryG?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#30]
WoW, and i thought i was gonna get flamed for saying teh was stupid. After all that i'll probably be double checking to make sure im using its/it's in it's proper format....
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why do people insist on  writing "teh" instead of the? Is it really that hard to write it right. Seriously, where the hell did it come from and why is it so popular? Just like pron, just say  porn! Is it to be cool and to stand out or something, i just dont get i guess. Please stop it, its just annoying and stupid.  

What ever you say master.

You can just call me DC if you'd like.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WoW, and i thought i was gonna get flamed for saying teh was stupid. After all that i'll probably be double checking to make sure im using its/it's in it's proper format....

Doh!  

Someone needs to pay better attention in class.

TRG

Oh shit......that's funny.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doh!  

TRG

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Ladies and gentlemen, this is a prime example of how fast a thread can go downhill once a grammar nazi shows up.  The thread quickly went from a discussion about 733+ words like "teh" to a battle over the usage of "its" and "it's".  

Now, to contribute the problem, the term "it's" is only to be used when a contraction is needed.  When a possesive it is required, one must use the term "its".

Note:  The above post has been approved by the Nazi Association of Grammar and Spelling (NAGS)(c).  It exhibits proper spelling, grammar, and accurate information.

BTW, it's ironic that a thread based on "teh" evolved into a grammar fight.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
DUPE

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=438717

Ive learned by now that everything I will ever think to make a thread about will be a dupe. Sometimes i just feel like i might be able to get away with it once in awile.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
1f u w3r3 l337 u w00d be a8l3 2 r33d th15

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doh!  

TRG

OMFG!!! LMFAO!!

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:46:13 AM EDT
[#40]
This thread is teh ghey!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:46:52 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
This thread is teh ghey!  

+1

It went from funny directly to super-deluxe retardo pretty fast.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#43]
geek-speak
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top