Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#1]
A job requiring a hairnet, name tag, and living on your own in debt.

Clean up in isle three and you have the mop in your hand.

Do you want 10 W 30 or synthetic sir?

Not bad when your 18 but at 25 things look alot different.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:49:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
28 on mine with no prep. But that was in 1985.

Well that would be a 29 now...see my above post.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL Sonofabitch, why haven't we renamed AR15.com to MENSA.COM...all these super geniuses...

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:28:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LOL Sonofabitch, why haven't we renamed AR15.com to MENSA.COM...all these super geniuses...

Except the ACT really isnt that hard.

Quite a few people have told their scores without even trying and have gotten 24+.  The test is just common sense and things you SHOULD HAVE ALREADY LEARNED IN SCHOOL IF YOU WERE PAYING ATTENTION.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:33:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite a few people have told their scores without even trying and have gotten 24+.  The test is just common sense and things you SHOULD HAVE ALREADY LEARNED IN SCHOOL IF YOU WERE PAYING ATTENTION.

I agree, but then again the national avg is around 20...you really believe that NEARLY everyone that replied to this thread was WELL ABOVE AVERAGE?  Especially when it happens in every "My IQ is 210" thread on GD?  

I just find it funny, and predicted it as I started reading, that's all.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He needs to study his butt off.

I got a 19 on my ACT.

i got a 20 on mine and i never fucking studied.

I didn't really study either but I was going for community college to start with.

But if you want to get into a good four-year school, you better study.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#7]
30 and free ride to any state school, to bad I was too fucking immature to use it correctly.  Jeff
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
scoring high on the ACT only means you are good at taking such kinds of tests

Excuses, excuses. It means you're both a good analytical thinker and knowledgeable of basic math and science. Doesn't mean you can pick up chicks or give a winning oration. Or write a complete sentence.

I whole heartedly agree that the SAT and ACT only measure how well you take tests.

That doesn't mean that I'm not going to take advantage of other people thinking I'm smart though.

(I scored a 34 on the ACT and a 1450 SAT (1600 version) and now I don't pay for any schooling)
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#9]
 Fuckin math. RLTW

Me too. Should have taken trig in high school

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but then again the national avg is around 20...you really believe that NEARLY everyone that replied to this thread was WELL ABOVE AVERAGE?  Especially when it happens in every "My IQ is 210" thread on GD?  

/shrug

I only know of a handful of kids out of my 95 graduating that scored below a 20 and those were the loser mechanic dumbasses that are white-trash.

So, 5 maybe out of 95, about 5-6%'ish.

Then, you add in that a ton of people here are educated in various walks of life and are generally not your average oxygen-stealing knuckledragger.....its not hard to see.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone out there have teenagers preparing for the ACT?  It seems like scholorship requirements to good schools have increased a whole lot since I was in college.  Most good schools require a 34/36 to be considered for a scholorship.  

How do you motivate a teenager to study for this kind of thing?  We've showed him all the scholorship requirements to these schools.  The only way he is going to be able to attend one of these schools is to get a really good scholorship.  We can't afford to pay the money they want for a semester.  

Any ideas?

If they actually paid attention for the prior 3 years, they should be able to walk in, take the damn test, and score 27+...

<- 29, 1997. Didn't study one bit.

Close.

I didn't pay attention until my senior year and made a 28 and received a tuition scholarship to the closest accredited university. If I can do it, anyone can do it because I'm not a genius by any means.

That said, I believe the universities in this state still have to grant acceptance of all ACT scores of 19 or higher. 27+ scores are eligible for application of various scholarships.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got a 31. I only took it because my girlfriend at the time wanted someone to go with her.

About a year after I took it I got a letter from the ACT folks saying my score had been upped by 1 pt. because the questions were racially biased. This was in 1989/1990.

So I got 1 ACT smarter because black people and mexicans couldn't follow math questions without the name of Leroy and Juan in them.

So this is why problems have Terry Wong and Letarsha

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I scored in the top one percentile on the ACT.  Here is what I did to prepare for the exam: I took the practise test the night before, and got a decent night's sleep.

I scored in the top three percent on the GRE.  Here is what I did to prepare for the exam: I took the practise test the night before, and got a decent night's sleep.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 friends that made a 30 and a 32, they also had around a 3.7GPA... Both are on full rides and even having their books, rooms, ect. pain for as well.

I got a 20 not studying and a 3.2 GPA  
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Take it early, then do a study course and take it again if you need to.  I walked in, took it and got a 29.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember I was hung-over and the science reasoning part or whatever at the end sucked.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? Adults with 29+ standardized test scores a decade ago, and 160+ IQs like to hang out on the web?

Whoda thunk?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? Adults with 29+ standardized test scores a decade ago, and 160+ IQs like to hang out on the web?

Whoda thunk?

Uh huh.  Guys with 12" penises like to as well, huh.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I think you are mistaken.  A 34 on the ACT is the 99th percentile.  You will definitely be in the running for a scholarship with that score, but anything in the upper 20s and into the 30s is also very good.  

In addition to the merit based scholarships, don't forget about federal aid and grants.  If you have a modest income, fill out the FAFSA and you are probably eligible for a lot of government help.

I would also note that you shouldn't be turned off by the high tuition at private universities.  Most private universities these days have incredible financial aid, and for low income families they are even cheaper than public universities.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone out there have teenagers preparing for the ACT?  It seems like scholorship requirements to good schools have increased a whole lot since I was in college.  Most good schools require a 34/36 to be considered for a scholorship.  

How do you motivate a teenager to study for this kind of thing?  We've showed him all the scholorship requirements to these schools.  The only way he is going to be able to attend one of these schools is to get a really good scholorship.  We can't afford to pay the money they want for a semester.  

Any ideas?

If he doesn't already have the grades, the ACT isn't going to win him a scholarship. I got a 35 on the ACT and 1430 on the old SAT... but my scholarship money totalled up to absolutely bupkis, because I graduated with a GPA somewhere around 2.7 or so.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#21]
My brother and I were forced by our parents to take this fucking test as often as possible and as many times as possible. I took it the first time in 4th grade and took it 2-3 times my senior year. Probably close to ten times in total I'd imagine. I ended up getting a 32or 33 I can't remember which. Whatever I got it got me a full ride to UA. I pay for housing and thats all. My brother is a senior in HS and he just took it again and got a 34 I think. And yes, our grades have improved every time we took them.

My problem with these tests (and all tests) is I get insanely nervous and my stomach gets incredibly upset. It sucks.

I have two friends, brothers, who both got 36s and one got a perfect SAT also. Most people I know probably got around a 20-25. I would say that 34-36 is an unreasonable expectation especially for the frst time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I scored 29 on the ACT in 1986.  Got a partial scholarship out of it.

It never occurred to me to study for it.   There may have been study materials available at the time but I never heard of anyone studying for the ACT or SAT.

Today, with as much as tuition costs and the bias against WASPs, you can bet your ass I'd be studying and taking that fucker until I aced it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#23]
East Coast is SAT territory, so I never took the ACT, but I've been pissed at myself ever since the last time I took the SAT when I bubbled in B instead of A on a math problem, realized I did it wrong and told myself I'd come back to fix it.  Once I finished the end of the section, I couldnt find the problem to fix it.  790.

Combined with my 660 verbal I managed to get into the honors programs at two of the three schools I applied for (UMD and UDel, with a 25% scholarship sealing the deal and sending me to UDel), the other just gave me a normal admission (VT).

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
for some strange reason, I thought you were taking about sex.

LOL me too

here as well

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas?

34-36?? 36 is a perfect score. Most colleges (in state) will award scholarships mid to upper 20's.

+1...24 and above and you should be good to go...

I got a 26 and i recieved scholerships
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I got a 27 and had plenty of scholarship opportunities.  I would have done much better but I forgot my calculator and did suffered a bit on the math section because of it.

I didn't study one bit either but to be honest, I'm not sure how much good studying would have helped.  Most of it is common sense stuff and it covers such a broad spectrum of problems... aww hell it'd probably be easier to study for than I'd think.  I just hardly ever study so idk how to, to be honest.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#27]
In the fall of 1997, a 26 would get you a free ride plus room and board at Arkansas State.

I had a friend that scored a 32 and he got all this plus $3000 per semester at A.S.U.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In the fall of 1997, a 26 would get you a free ride plus room and board at Arkansas State.

I had a friend that scored a 32 and he got all this plus $3000 per semester at A.S.U.

Really?  Well shit, what the hell happened to that...
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not that smart...but when I took it - it was a 100% multiple choice test. Those aren't that hard. Some people are really good at multiple choice and some people who are pretty smart can't pass a test like that for anything. My girlfriend at the time was pretty smart and she had to take it 3 times to get into college. I did much better than her and I wound up getting a GED....Of course I had zero pressure to take it because at the time I had zero plans to go to college and others knew that if they didn't get XX they weren't going or their parents were going to kick their ass.

I wish some of my later stuff in college would have been multiple choice.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok I have a serious question. My daughter began taking the ACT last year as a sophomore. This year she is a junior of course, but here is the problem. She has been taking all honors courses since she was a freshman. She will graduate next year with all honors and will start taking college prep classes as a senior. This year she had Trig, Chem, Physics, etc. Already has had a year of French and is carrying a 3.8 gpa....totally blowing away everything put in front of her, she does have a high B right now in the honors Trig class, but she is trying to pull it up. The problem is, she really does not do well taking BIG tests, she just gets nervous, she wants to do so well. So far she has taken the ACT twice and the highest she has scored is a 19. What can I do to help her? She wants to go to a good school, she keeps talking about Vandy, how we will ever afford that, I have no idea, but you get the idea of the type kid she is. School comes first and is all she cares about...I was just the opposite, could have cared less, never studied and still got a BBA. I just don't know how to help her on this frigging test. Thanks in advance for any advice that will help.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ok I have a serious question. My daughter began taking the ACT last year as a sophomore. This year she is a junior of course, but here is the problem. She has been taking all honors courses since she was a freshman. She will graduate next year with all honors and will start taking college prep classes as a senior. This year she had Trig, Chem, Physics, etc. Already has had a year of French and is carrying a 3.8 gpa....totally blowing away everything put in front of her, she does have a high B right now in the honors Trig class, but she is trying to pull it up. The problem is, she really does not do well taking BIG tests, she just gets nervous, she wants to do so well. So far she has taken the ACT twice and the highest she has scored is a 19. What can I do to help her? She wants to go to a good school, she keeps talking about Vandy, how we will ever afford that, I have no idea, but you get the idea of the type kid she is. School comes first and is all she cares about...I was just the opposite, could have cared less, never studied and still got a BBA. I just don't know how to help her on this frigging test. Thanks in advance for any advice that will help.

Think about it this way. the 50$ fee (or whatever) to take the test isnt much. If she takes it 4 times that is 200$. Not alot if it results in her getting a scholarship that saves you thousands or tens of thousands.

I'd have her take it as often as possible between now and her graduation. The last time I took it I did the best and I think its because I stopped giving a damn I had taken it so many times.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does anyone out there have teenagers preparing for the ACT? It seems like scholorship requirements to good schools have increased a whole lot since I was in college. Most good schools require a 34/36 to be considered for a scholorship.

How do you motivate a teenager to study for this kind of thing? We've showed him all the scholorship requirements to these schools. The only way he is going to be able to attend one of these schools is to get a really good scholorship. We can't afford to pay the money they want for a semester.

Any ideas?

34-36?? 36 is a perfect score. Most colleges (in state) will award scholarships mid to upper 20's.
Yeah, I think 34-36 is estimating pretty high.  I earned an annual Regent's Scholarship no problem, and I only scored a 32(?)  It may have been a 31.... now I can't remember.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quite a few people have told their scores without even trying and have gotten 24+. The test is just common sense and things you SHOULD HAVE ALREADY LEARNED IN SCHOOL IF YOU WERE PAYING ATTENTION.

I agree, but then again the national avg is around 20...you really believe that NEARLY everyone that replied to this thread was WELL ABOVE AVERAGE? Especially when it happens in every "My IQ is 210" thread on GD?

I'm pretty sure I have mine somewhere..... I'll have to find it and scan it for ya.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I got a 22 on it and I didn't even think twice about retaking it.  I knew I was gonna go to community college, get an associates, and go to work.  In the real world, the ACT doesn't really mean that much.  It's also slanted heavy towards math, which is not my strong suit, so not only did I get drug through the mud in math, I also got raked in science, which I thought was just thinly veiled math.  

I also notice a lot of 30's+ being reported.  Again, ARFKOM makes me feel inadequate.  I guess I'm an outsider here because I don't have 13" of sausage in my pants, I don't make over $100K, my old lady isn't a supermodel, I didn't have sex when I was 12 with a much, much older woman, and I don't drive a Lambo.  Everybody else on here says they have all of that, so I guess I just better hang myself for being the loser I am.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Any ideas?

you might want to check your numbers- 34/36 is extremely high.  Florida's Bright Futures requires a 27 or 28.

My mom said she'd buy me whatever I wanted up to $1000 if I got a scholarship based on the SAT or ACT.  That's less than a test prep class.  Worked for me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Never took it and I got into a decent school...
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think about it this way. the 50$ fee (or whatever) to take the test isnt much. If she takes it 4 times that is 200$. Not alot if it results in her getting a scholarship that saves you thousands or tens of thousands.

I'd have her take it as often as possible between now and her graduation. The last time I took it I did the best and I think its because I stopped giving a damn I had taken it so many times.

Thanks, I think she can take it two or three more times this year. She has more drive and intelligence than I ever had, and I just hate the thought of her future riding on a test. Thanks again
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Any ideas?

Tell him that if he fucks up, his only shot at college after that will be the military.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh. The posters are self selected. You can see the phenomenon in threads every day like This one about finding a soulmate. Look at that percentage of Yes votes.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I think she can take it two or three more times this year. She has more drive and intelligence than I ever had, and I just hate the thought of her future riding on a test. Thanks again

It is awful they rely so much on one test. I had the same problem your daughter has, I got really worked up and nervous about it. I found one time that I did better when I was worn out and had zero sleep the night before when I took it. Less nervous energy I guess. Different test taking strateges foreveryone though
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#41]
no studying, 32 overall, took it once.  I even forgot when it was scheduled for until the day before.

I'm just a good test taker, really.  My GPA was like 2.9 because I never did homework.  If it was boring, screw it.  I aced the exams, so who cared?

My SATs were about the same scale, mid 1400s.  ACT seemed easier, though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:57:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite a few people have told their scores without even trying and have gotten 24+. The test is just common sense and things you SHOULD HAVE ALREADY LEARNED IN SCHOOL IF YOU WERE PAYING ATTENTION.

I agree, but then again the national avg is around 20...you really believe that NEARLY everyone that replied to this thread was WELL ABOVE AVERAGE? Especially when it happens in every "My IQ is 210" thread on GD?

I'm pretty sure I have mine somewhere..... I'll have to find it and scan it for ya.

Don't worry, I believe some of us on here got good scores...like another poster mentioned, self-selection, I guess.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Average score at Notre Dame is 32.  Have your child buy a study guide (Book or CD) and go through it.  Some kids do better on the SAT, some the ACT.  Have  your child take both.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:42:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Average score at Notre Dame is 32.  Have your child buy a study guide (Book or CD) and go through it.  Some kids do better on the SAT, some the ACT.  Have  your child take both.

Thanks

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#45]
I got a decent score on the SAT, never took the ACT. I got a 30K scholarship in the mail without even applying. Thank you Arizona State!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I took a prep class.  They teach strategy and test taking tips.  Taking practice tests helps too.  I think it took some of the stress away for me.  At least I knew what to expect and if I didn't know an answer, I knew how to guess.  I got a 29 in 1990.  I sucked on the SAT.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
for some strange reason, I thought you were taking about sex.

LOL me too

I did as well
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Really?  Is it still on a 36 point scale?  32 was somewhere in the 98-99%.  That's average at ND?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Now that I look back I regret only taking the ACT only once, and that was at the beginning of my sophomore year. Got a 25.

Reason: When I got to College they told me if I had made 1-2 point higher on math and science I could have gotten credit for most of the core classes without actually taking them :-(. I still managed to get out of 3 classes.

I got to take my test a year earlier than most students because myself and a few others were given the option to skip 8th grade math and go straight to Algebra 1. Well ironically math was one of my lower ACT scores. Without the skill of Algebra II, Trig/advanced math it sure made things slow trying to come up with the answers. I probably got most of the problems right but I didn't get near finished. Later I went on to win 1st at the district literary rally for algebra II and got to compete at state. So I am pretty sure I could have gotten a lot higher if I had bothered taking it senior year. Regardless the 25 got me some local scholarships and enough from the school to pay for all of my tuition and books. If everything goes well this semester I will graduate Magna Cum Ladi having only gotten a 25.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Bro tried it out, 28 I'm pretty sure.  He's the lazy type.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top