BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use .380 in glock 17 mags to instruct malfunction drills.  The round will fire, but the case won't eject.

while it can be done I would not suggest long term use of this method...

I don't do long term malfunction drills, but what's your reasoning?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use .380 in glock 17 mags to instruct malfunction drills.  The round will fire, but the case won't eject.

Seriously?

That seems like a terrible idea... the one time I did it on accident in a G17, the case popped, and the round barely made it out of the barrel.

Never had an issue and the round always hits the target.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

That seems like a terrible idea... the one time I did it on accident in a G17, the case popped, and the round barely made it out of the barrel.

Doesn't that void any repair liability?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

Doesn't that void any repair liability?

What do you mean by repair liability? Warranty?  I'm sure it could void warranty, but warranties aren't really a concern in my lime of work.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
In a Glock 17, the .380 fired and you could see the round pop out of the barrel and go about 10 feet until it fell into the dirt.

.380 is a low pressure round.  The case might be indeed strong enough to contain the pressure.

That's like how pistol rounds shoot in dreams, if you can get the trigger to work.

I know that one well.

Hmm...   So it's not just me...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
It was probably a Jennings and wouldn't have fired even if he had proper ammo...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A friend of mine was at a range once with 2 handguns in 1 lane, one was 380 one was 9mm.

He loaded a single round of 380 into the top of the 9mm mag, he was complaining about how hard he had to push it to get it to seat in the mag.

He kept trying but it wouldnt go into battery, after a minute he realized his mistake.  I believe it was a glock 9mm, don't remember what model though.

Um, nope. Loading a .380 round will not keep a magazine from seating.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#9]
IIRC the 9mm head spaces off the front of the rim.  imho, first round would fall in the chamber,  shooter would rack (no eject) and stovepipe the second.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Boy, it's threads like this that reveal a massive lack of understanding of firearms, function, sizes, tolerances, etc.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IIRC the 9mm head spaces off the front of the rim.  imho, first round would fall in the chamber,  shooter would rack (no eject) and stovepipe the second.

Case in point. No offense intended. I'm ignorant about plenty of things.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

case failure causing a squib load then a full power 9mm behind it and KABOOM...

I meant long term as in long term use of the same drill.... in other words it might work most of the time then you have the one squib ...or it might damage the gun due to a pressure build up in a non-specific area...this is bad..

this is not like firing 9mm in a 40 which has its own potential problems but they are minor when compared to this because of the extra clearance...

think head space issue
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I have seen 9mm shot out of a .40, so .380 out of a 9mm sounds possible.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant long term as in long term use of the same drill.... in other words it might work most of the time then you have the one squib ...or it might damage the gun due to a pressure build up in a non-specific area...this is bad..

this is not like firing 9mm in a 40 which has its own potential problems but they are minor when compared to this because of the extra clearance...

think head space issue

We have been using this method for a long time and never had an issue.  Even if there was a squib, the glock barrel should take the shot without exploding, just a nice bulge.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

think head space issue

Case failure isn't very likely with brass cases as there is only a .016 difference in chamber diameter. Steel might split. Look at how much a case is changed when blowing out certain wildcat cartridges.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

think head space issue

Case failure isn't very likely with brass cases as there is only a .016 difference in chamber diameter. Steel might split. Look at how much a case is changed when blowing out certain wildcat cartridges.

well head to case separation then or blown primers etc etc...

while not deadly still not recommended
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It might work, sometimes.

Poor velocity and really crappy accuracy. If.... if it fired.

This.

I tried it once. The .380 fired, and wasn't too far off of aim, but the slide didn't cycle, and the case was all bulged out of shape near the case head. I can't remember if the case sealed the chamber or not, but odds are that it did.

Not something that I would recommend doing too often, of course.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Since most 9mm P and .380 (9mm corto) seat on the case mouth I actually wonder if it would have fired at all.

If it did, I wouldn't want to be nearby.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I once though 9x19 wouldnt not fire In 9x21 barrel for the same reasons..

Well, I was wrong... Bang,
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Just saw this happen last night. First time gun owner, new LC9. She asked the counter jockey at <redacted> for a box of ammo when she bought it, and was given a box of .380. It fired just fine, extractor held the round against the breech. Not enough recoil to extract the case (some limp-writing was also present).

Gun was inspected, and ran with no problems once fed 9mm and some CLP.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I have fired .40 cal through a Glock 17... A few times

Not my fault the range mixed up the guns lol
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have fired .40 cal through a Glock 17... A few times

Not my fault the range mixed up the guns lol

Now, this! I'd very much like to observe.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I thought someone here claimed it would work, I'm not trying it

I've seen it work.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A friend of mine was at a range once with 2 handguns in 1 lane, one was 380 one was 9mm.

He loaded a single round of 380 into the top of the 9mm mag, he was complaining about how hard he had to push it to get it to seat in the mag.

He kept trying but it wouldnt go into battery, after a minute he realized his mistake.  I believe it was a glock 9mm, don't remember what model though.

Magazine seated fine, the slide wouldnt close.  But thinking back on it now, i may be mistaken, i think he may have been trying to fire a 9mm round through his beretta.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magazine seated fine, the slide wouldnt close.  But thinking back on it now, i may be mistaken, i think he may have been trying to fire a 9mm round through his beretta.

Beretta .380, I'm assuming. Yeah. that could be an issue.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since most 9mm P and .380 (9mm corto) seat on the case mouth I actually wonder if it would have fired at all.

It will in a Glock, ask me how I know.

No KaBoom, just would not extract.

Someone once gave me a box of 9x18 and I shot it out of a Glock, on purpose I might add

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone once gave me a box of 9x18 and I shot it out of a Glock, on purpose I might add

9x17 bullet diameter:  .355"
9x18 bullet diameter:  .365"
9x19 bullet diameter:  .355"

I would expect some indications of pressure issues, when firing 9x18 Makarov ammo in a pistol chambered for 9x19 NATO.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I would have paid that kid $87 for his 4 rounds of .380.  Then he could have purchased a ticket.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#28]
The pistol may have been a Makarov, maybe even chambered for .380 if the barrel has been changed.

The one I have is simply marked 9mm mak (for the caliber) on the frame and when I purchased it the dealer said shooting .380/9x17 in it would be fine.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Nothing like going hands on with a guy and finding out afterwards that he had a pistol on him the whole time.

Makes you think.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's possible the gun is a 9mm Kurz, Short, .380, whatever... and the cop just saw the "9mm" written on the side.

Who knows.  I once overheard the following in a LGS:

"I just bought a 40 caliber Glock, and I'd like to buy some ammo for it, but it seems all the 40 caliber ammo you have is Smith & Wesson."
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#31]
.40 will go boom in .45 too, but the case is no good afterwards.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The pistol may have been a Makarov, maybe even chambered for .380 if the barrel has been changed.

The one I have is simply marked 9mm mak (for the caliber) on the frame and when I purchased it the dealer said shooting .380/9x17 in it would be fine.  

When I bought my Makarov, the guy at the counter started laughing, then started ribbing one of the other employees about their trip to the range when the other employee loaded a bunch of mags for each of the guns that he had brought, then fired a full mag of .380 through his Makarov while wondering why there was some smoke and flash from the ejection port, and why his "groups" were all over the place.

I switched mine to a 2 pound heavier recoil spring, to reduce the 'slap' to my hand.  I have no doubts that the stock recoil spring would cycle with .380, but accuracy wouldn't be much better than using a smoothbore barrel.

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's possible the gun is a 9mm Kurz, Short, .380, whatever... and the cop just saw the "9mm" written on the side.

Who knows.  I once overheard the following in a LGS:

"I just bought a 40 caliber Glock, and I'd like to buy some ammo for it, but it seems all the 40 caliber ammo you have is Smith & Wesson."

I once made the mistake of asking the guy at the Walmart gun counter if they happened to stock any 9mm Makarov (wasn't really expecting them to have it, but thought that maybe customers asking for it might change things).  He thought for a second or two, then replied "No, but we've got 9mm Federal, 9mm Winchester, 9mm Remington, and I think I saw some 9mm Luger, the other day."
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

9x17 bullet diameter:  .355"

9x18 bullet diameter:  .365"

9x19 bullet diameter:  .355"

I would expect some indications of pressure issues, when firing 9x18 Makarov ammo in a pistol chambered for 9x19 NATO.

It was that shitty brown bear stuff. Did not notice any overpressure issues but I did change out that barrel a while ago for a Storm Lake threaded

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top